Expat Alcoholics in Bangkok

peter1965

I just came back from Finland, a country with one of the biggest alcoholism problems in the world. And I myself come from the UK where we have chains of pubs called whisterspoons which are the daily handouts for the down and outs and retirees who are slowly drinking themselves to death on cheap booze

The ones you see are no different, just relocated to warmer pastures with access to cheap women. Leave em alone

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok drinking is your business but if you drink and drive you just made it my business. Being A Viet Nam Veteran I did more than my share of drinking hoping it would help me forget But when I got to the point a 5th of scotch a day didn't faze me it was time to quit. Been sober ever since. Now at 62 alive healthy enjoying life I got better things to do with my time here. Got checkup from doctor said I was in better shape than a man in his 20's, So booze doesn't preserve you.

Alcohol makes you smarter. It's the same principle as in the animal kingdom. When a predator attacks a herd they go for the weak or older animal which makes the herd as a whole stronger. It's the same when drinking alcohol. Yes alcohol kills off brain cells but it'll kill the weaker brain thus leaving you with the stronger brain cells and making you smarter. It's a fact.

As absolutely asinine as this sounds, there is some scientific basis for a similar prognosis. The theory being, that imbibing in large amounts of poisonous substances proves to potential mates that you are the Alpha and thus are good breeding stock. Otherwise how could you survive the deleterious effect of such substances?

Thailand:

Hub of <deleted>

Hub of Drunks

Hub of Losers

Welllllcum handsome man!

if your not being sarcastic which I assume you are then why the hell are you here, which category do you fall into?blink.png

Most societies tolerate drinking alcohol. The ones that don't seem to me to be emblematic of the kind of society that I wouldn't care to live in because they also do not tolerate freedom of any sort. I think that the finest example of Thai philosophy can be expressed as 'Up to You'.......

Up to you is an expression that is used by those wishing to avoid responsibility for any of there actions or decisions! therefore cannot be blamed when things go bad,!it is also lazy and disrecpectful to those asking the question! if you wish to get drunk with these sorts of people I wouldn't get in there car go to there room or have much to do with them.fine example of thai philosophy...now that's funny!

Yes, absolutely. I avoid the older expats now as all the ones I've met just sit in a farang bar with other farangs getting drunk most days and then start to argue and fight with their friends as the night comes to an end whilst their Thai wives scream and try to break it up. Seen it many times when passing in the car or stopping for food. Probably the same people who come on here and get really bitter on every post about Thai people or attack the OP and say "why are you here then?" Or "Thailand is not for you" 555!

Generalised rubbish! Well if all they do is sit in bars where did you meet them? So most farangs get drunk most days then fight their mates while their Thai wives scream at each otherblink.png is that correct? Maybe you just got some dodgy mates. You sure your not watching too much T.V. ? and what younger expats don't enjoy a sobering ale from time to time. Fortunately a pillar of the community like yourself only passes by in your car to observe this scandalous behaviour. It would never do and be unseemly and highly unsavoury to be seen knocking around with the riff raff, wouldn't one?

Frankly, it's non your damn business. It is their business, not yours. Perhaps you should just go back to those places, and leave the rest of us alone to live as we chose to do.

Rather, sir, it is very much the business of us who would rather you shit-for-brain losers would go and destroy yourselves back wherever you came from.

Your presence engenders the worst feelings towards foreigners in this country. It is your arrogance, your indifference to Thai values, that contributes to immigration policies which make life for the rest of us more troublesome than it need be.

Your very presence within the the national boundaries is an embarrassment to me and many other decent people, and an insult to the Kingdom.

You sir, are a &lt;deleted&gt;. Many successful people enjoy an occasional beer or wine and on the odd occasion (god forbid) even get drunk. So what you are saying is: all those the enjoy a drink are "shit-for-brain losers" who should go "back wherever you came from" your narrow minded garbage is ridiculous. In case you hadn't noticed the Thai's themselves aren't adverse to having the occasional tipple themselves. Not to mention the tourist dollar which helps to prop up the economy but maybe most tourists are "shit-for-brain losers" themselves. People who drink here have absolutely no effect on immigration policies what so ever, what supporting evidence could you provide to prove that fallacy? It is weak opinionated people like yourself that hide behind aliases and love to snipe at people you know nothing about that are a real scourge on the community, and the gall of you to speak for "us" like you have the support of some majority of ex-pats and business people living in the Kingdom how vain sir can you be?

Alcohol makes you smarter. It's the same principle as in the animal kingdom. When a predator attacks a herd they go for the weak or older animal which makes the herd as a whole stronger. It's the same when drinking alcohol. Yes alcohol kills off brain cells but it'll kill the weaker brain thus leaving you with the stronger brain cells and making you smarter. It's a fact.

clap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gif

Good one that would make me the smatest man around. Unfortunatly it did not work that way for me. I found my answer in AA. I would strongly suggest the OP go to ALANON. They will have an answer for him there.

One of the reasons (I had 'several') I moved here was to get away from the sanctimonious, do godder, praise the lawd crowd. Confesion: I was raised in the southern baptist church until my brain kicked into gear at the age of 16, end of that load of bull..... The nicest I can say it is mind your own business and my business is NOT your business. Brother will I be glad if the religious wackos' "Rapture" finally does get here, we'll be rid of that sorry bunch and able to improve life for everybody. And now time for another cold Singha Lite, bottoms up, cheers, chock dee, kanpai (kampai).

Frankly, it's non your damn business. It is their business, not yours. Perhaps you should just go back to those places, and leave the rest of us alone to live as we chose to do.

Proper little mr agry you are, lol.

Chill out and go and and grab a beerlaugh.png

Rather, sir, it is very much the business of us who would rather you shit-for-brain losers would go and destroy yourselves back wherever you came from.

Your presence engenders the worst feelings towards foreigners in this country. It is your arrogance, your indifference to Thai values, that contributes to immigration policies which make life for the rest of us more troublesome than it need be.

Your very presence within the the national boundaries is an embarrassment to me and many other decent people, and an insult to the Kingdom.

You sir, are a <deleted>. Many successful people enjoy an occasional beer or wine and on the odd occasion (god forbid) even get drunk. So what you are saying is: all those the enjoy a drink are "shit-for-brain losers" who should go "back wherever you came from" your narrow minded garbage is ridiculous. In case you hadn't noticed the Thai's themselves aren't adverse to having the occasional tipple themselves. Not to mention the tourist dollar which helps to prop up the economy but maybe most tourists are "shit-for-brain losers" themselves. People who drink here have absolutely no effect on immigration policies what so ever, what supporting evidence could you provide to prove that fallacy? It is weak opinionated people like yourself that hide behind aliases and love to snipe at people you know nothing about that are a real scourge on the community, and the gall of you to speak for "us" like you have the support of some majority of ex-pats and business people living in the Kingdom how vain sir can you be?

A bit harsh on him. But you are right many do enjoy the occasional drink and occasionally get drunk with no adverse effects on the Thai vision of foreigners or any affect what so ever to do with the immigration policy. Which is not that harsh to begin with.

It is the few that make it a way of living that give foreigners the bad name. Percentage wise of those living here in Thailand permanently they are few. Of those visiting there is a higher percentage but over all most foreigners do not fall into that class.

As a member of AA I have a lot of experience with it. I do get suspicious of people who defend it to much. As far as I am concerned there is nothing wrong with enjoying a drink or two and possibly the odd drunk. But when it becomes a life style and is obvious to all it is not rite.

Yes the Thais do imbibe quite a bit. But they see them selves as different it is OK for them. I know it is faulty logic but it is the way they see things. Just one of the things you learn to accept and at times enjoy. If you don't you will never find happiness here in Thailand.

All this of course is my opinion based on my experience in the drinking world the non drinking world and life here in Thailand.wai.gif

You sir, are a <deleted>. Many successful people enjoy an occasional beer or wine and on the odd occasion (god forbid) even get drunk. So what you are saying is: all those the enjoy a drink are "shit-for-brain losers" who should go "back wherever you came from" your narrow minded garbage is ridiculous. In case you hadn't noticed the Thai's themselves aren't adverse to having the occasional tipple themselves. Not to mention the tourist dollar which helps to prop up the economy but maybe most tourists are "shit-for-brain losers" themselves. People who drink here have absolutely no effect on immigration policies what so ever, what supporting evidence could you provide to prove that fallacy? It is weak opinionated people like yourself that hide behind aliases and love to snipe at people you know nothing about that are a real scourge on the community, and the gall of you to speak for "us" like you have the support of some majority of ex-pats and business people living in the Kingdom how vain sir can you be?

A bit harsh on him. But you are right many do enjoy the occasional drink and occasionally get drunk with no adverse effects on the Thai vision of foreigners or any affect what so ever to do with the immigration policy. Which is not that harsh to begin with.

It is the few that make it a way of living that give foreigners the bad name. Percentage wise of those living here in Thailand permanently they are few. Of those visiting there is a higher percentage but over all most foreigners do not fall into that class.

As a member of AA I have a lot of experience with it. I do get suspicious of people who defend it to much. As far as I am concerned there is nothing wrong with enjoying a drink or two and possibly the odd drunk. But when it becomes a life style and is obvious to all it is not rite.

Yes the Thais do imbibe quite a bit. But they see them selves as different it is OK for them. I know it is faulty logic but it is the way they see things. Just one of the things you learn to accept and at times enjoy. If you don't you will never find happiness here in Thailand.

All this of course is my opinion based on my experience in the drinking world the non drinking world and life here in Thailand.wai.gif

Granted sir and I admit I may have been a little harsh, but one thing I can't tolerate are people who try to put us all in little boxes, or classifications like they are experts in the human condition. We are all individuals with our own stories and the fact that some of us may occasionally imbibe or even get drunk is no basis for his groundless statements. On a side note my congratulations to you and many others that are successfully attempting to overcome an addiction that does lay many low. Good luck for yourself and others that wish to choose a alcohol free lifestyle. That is your choice but in my response to the other poster nobody likes a preacher and the worst preacher is a reformed one whatever their personal addiction. Cheers though and stay the course wai.gif

Sounds a lot like Norm from Cheers?? Give some credit and be original....:-(

In theory i understand the point you are trying to make but if "drinking and drunkenness and drunk in public and drunk driving were to become an olympic sport thailand would bring home the gold without farang participation.

The op was making reference to the expat population here and there excessive drinking habits not the thais. and I agree with the above comment many drunken farangs are just simply making dickheads of themselves.and embarrass there country and there fellow countryman, as that is the impression our hosts see is been representative of the rest of us who try not to look like a drunken <deleted>.

my comment is in reference to likatysplit, on 21 Jun 2014 - 17:57, said: directly above, not to the op although i do appreciate your linguistic expertise.

Alcoholism has no shortage of "faulty logic" regardless of nationality.

The fact is that individual behavior influences the behavior of others and the overall well-being. All that we can do or avoid doing to avoid the negative influence (from which the amalgam to all the farangs emerge also) is to consider seriously

We cannot expect this to happend when people from a multitude of cultural systems of values and education systems come together for holidays and dont give a damn about learning and respecting the local cultural values, doing as if they were at home (or worst because they aren't)... We can see that in all countries..

Human beings are so selfish by nature (look at babies).

From DNA to today's physical condition, mental condition and (drinking) behaviour, we are totally conditionned by our past (every now)

Unfortunately everyone is not necessarily conscious or tolerant, which is why we should be twice more careful not to negatively influence people around when we are not at home.

That said drink too much if you want I'm not your mama :-)
Cheers ! drunk.gif.pagespeed.ce.hfErN2aQEE.gif

OK

You sucked me in with

cheesy.gif Kind of like saying human beings are so helpless look at babies.cheesy.gif

You defiantly are in the right forum., Lot's of good advice take it.wai.gif

The fact is that individual behavior influences the behavior of others and the overall well-being. All that we can do or avoid doing to avoid the negative influence (from which the amalgam to all the farangs emerge also) is to consider seriously

We cannot expect this to happend when people from a multitude of cultural systems of values and education systems come together for holidays and dont give a damn about learning and respecting the local cultural values, doing as if they were at home (or worst because they aren't)... We can see that in all countries..

From DNA to today's physical condition, mental condition and (drinking) behaviour, we are totally conditionned by our past (every now)

Unfortunately everyone is not necessarily conscious or tolerant, which is why we should be twice more careful not to negatively influence people around when we are not at home.

That said drink too much if you want I'm not your mama :-)

OK

You sucked me in with

cheesy.gif Kind of like saying human beings are so helpless look at babies.cheesy.gif

You defiantly are in the right forum., Lot's of good advice take it.wai.gif

I mean babies have virtually no education nor experience. Their behavior is not much conditionned by the limited sum of nows they have lived.
Maybe I was too ambigous :-)
You too can sit aside and observe anybody at any age to learn about yourself and human nature... it might even make you stop drinking altogether if you look alcoholics and recognize yourself in them :-)
Make your choices, and don't expect anything but the choice to be happy to make you happy :-)
Whatever, help yourself and discard what does not fit your mental patterns, as everybody does.

OP What a b. nerve you have. What business is of yours. You couldn't haven't travelled the world too much. Secondly, you should hear and see the load of drunks that pass by my home at night (especially Friday and Saturday) in a really small town in SW France.

With all seriousness and sincerity, if you enjoy drinking, and it's not causing problems in your life, enjoy it!

If you (and you alone) decide it's causing problems, and you want to stop, there's a seat waiting for you at an AA meeting every day somewhere in BKK.

It's (apparently) not for everyone, and it's not the only solution once you've decided you want to stop drinking. But it worked for me. And I'm an agnostic.

Oh, and it's free.

I am in AA and did like your question. You must be a nice person to be concerned about your co-workers.Now:

a) Each person needs to decide if they are happy or not with their drinking. There is plenty of knowledge about recovery.

cool.png AA not not that religious. I sponsor people on the humanitarian basis that we are all connected. Astrophysics is a useful are of study for this.

c) Live and let live. Functioning alcoholics can drink themselves into a lather nightly and not get into much trouble so it is not a true problem.

"functioning alcoholics" bahahahaha....I don't think you can use those 2 words in the same sentence. "not a true problem" you need to do some homework on the statistics! Alcohol related trauma (emotional, psychological and physical) far exceeds all other trauma from motor accidents, drugs, violent crime, smoking, obesity etc combined.

Astonishingly superb rationalization, I don't even think Bill W or Dr Bob even heard that one.

What if the opposite is true, alcohol kills only smart brain cells? or even worse, is non selective and kills any/all brain cells?

Well you see, Norm, it's like this...A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.

Cyclist, tsk tsk, even when you paraphrase, you need to cite the source.

I could never stand that guy, or others that sat with one glass of beer for 30 minutes or longer making jokes about drinking too much. Probably that Miller crap too that is not much stronger than water.

Some young guys at work don't believe me when I told them that once my buddy and I drank 32 large Singha beers in a khao man gai restaurant once before heading out on the town.

I am in AA and did like your question. You must be a nice person to be concerned about your co-workers.Now:

a) Each person needs to decide if they are happy or not with their drinking. There is plenty of knowledge about recovery.

cool.png AA not not that religious. I sponsor people on the humanitarian basis that we are all connected. Astrophysics is a useful are of study for this.

c) Live and let live. Functioning alcoholics can drink themselves into a lather nightly and not get into much trouble so it is not a true problem.

"functioning alcoholics" bahahahaha....I don't think you can use those 2 words in the same sentence. "not a true problem" you need to do some homework on the statistics! Alcohol related trauma (emotional, psychological and physical) far exceeds all other trauma from motor accidents, drugs, violent crime, smoking, obesity etc combined.

I think you can. Alcoholism is a progressive disease. At one point I was functioning but as it got progressively worse it was impossible to function, ie go to work etc.

As absolutely asinine as this sounds, there is some scientific basis for a similar prognosis. The theory being, that imbibing in large amounts of poisonous substances proves to potential mates that you are the Alpha and thus are good breeding stock. Otherwise how could you survive the deleterious effect of such substances?

When I used to do the crossword in the staff room every morning break at 11am, I always did better after a 1/4 bottle of vodka.

Maybe it was just getting rid of the withdrawals.

Astonishingly superb rationalization, I don't even think Bill W or Dr Bob even heard that one.

What if the opposite is true, alcohol kills only smart brain cells? or even worse, is non selective and kills any/all brain cells?

Well you see, Norm, it's like this...A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.

Cyclist, tsk tsk, even when you paraphrase, you need to cite the source.

I could never stand that guy, or others that sat with one glass of beer for 30 minutes or longer making jokes about drinking too much. Probably that Miller crap too that is not much stronger than water.

Some young guys at work don't believe me when I told them that once my buddy and I drank 32 large Singha beers in a khao man gai restaurant once before heading out on the town.

Only once? Sixteen large beers is about a case of 12 ouncers. That is not an unheard of number--it seems almost a usual thing during a day of fishing.

Only once? Sixteen large beers is about a case of 12 ouncers. That is not an unheard of number--it seems almost a usual thing during a day of fishing.

Just the once that I counted as they left all the bottles on the table. This was all in one afternoon. I don't think it's anything to brag about how bad y alcoholism became. Two large bottles of whisky a day plus about 5-10 large Changs is about as much as anyone I ever knew. 1/2 a bottle of Whisky basically to get out of bed and be able to shave.

• 1 year later...

I came here to live 15 years ago,and immediately started a love affair with beer Chang.I know some say its crap and a killer,but i loved it.I always had bags of confidence and plenty of money,so booze wasn't a shield or;a booster of any kind,i just loved it.I hung around with drinker's and considered sober life a bore.Most of the times were a haze and i wasted a lot of good times,having good times.I was always a happy drunk,and never turned on a friend or anything like it.One day i was so drunk that i tried to open my next door neighbour's front door.I was the guy that was always up for a drink,any time,any where,any place.I traveled over Thailand,and to be honest,there's only a few of them that i remember.I always rang the bell(several times in the same bar) and i was considered good value to the bar owner's and the girl's.I even found that booze,to me was a sexual enhancement,so that part of my life didn't suffer.About 5 years later,i collapsed in a bar and found my self in the Bangkok Pattaya hospital.I was told "dry out or check out"(of life) That was the wake up call.A few years of being dry later,i bought a bar(cant keep away,your thinking) It was successful,and all through that time i was still dry.I saw what booze did to people and how they behaved and sunk from being normal people to falling about drunk's.

My point is that i survived.I am still dry today,i daren't take a drink,and my choice of refreshment now is Soda water. iI never went to AA,because of the religious angle, not my thing.

A guy,a teacher friend of mine came in one night and i enede up telling him my story.A few nights later he came back and gave me a piece of paper with a poem written on it.

This is it.

Ode to a drunken man.

It was late in oneOctober,when i was far from sober.

And i thought my troubles spread from far to wide.

My feet began to stutter,and i fell down in the gutter.

And a pig came by and lay down by my side.

A lady there espied me,and came over for to chide me.

'My God' she said,'your in an awful way

'You can tell some one who boozez,by the company he chooses'

And the pig got up and slowly walked away.

In rememberance of days gone by.

KKD

Archived