Expat Alcoholics in Bangkok

peter1965

I came here to live 15 years ago,and immediately started a love affair with beer Chang.I know some say its crap and a killer,but i loved it.I always had bags of confidence and plenty of money,so booze wasn't a shield or;a booster of any kind,i just loved it.I hung around with drinker's and considered sober life a bore.Most of the times were a haze and i wasted a lot of good times,having good times.I was always a happy drunk,and never turned on a friend or anything like it.One day i was so drunk that i tried to open my next door neighbour's front door.I was the guy that was always up for a drink,any time,any where,any place.I traveled over Thailand,and to be honest,there's only a few of them that i remember.I always rang the bell(several times in the same bar) and i was considered good value to the bar owner's and the girl's.I even found that booze,to me was a sexual enhancement,so that part of my life didn't suffer.About 5 years later,i collapsed in a bar and found my self in the Bangkok Pattaya hospital.I was told "dry out or check out"(of life) That was the wake up call.A few years of being dry later,i bought a bar(cant keep away,your thinking) It was successful,and all through that time i was still dry.I saw what booze did to people and how they behaved and sunk from being normal people to falling about drunk's.

My point is that i survived.I am still dry today,i daren't take a drink,and my choice of refreshment now is Soda water. iI never went to AA,because of the religious angle, not my thing.

A guy,a teacher friend of mine came in one night and i enede up telling him my story.A few nights later he came back and gave me a piece of paper with a poem written on it.

This is it.

Ode to a drunken man.

It was late in oneOctober,when i was far from sober.

And i thought my troubles spread from far to wide.

My feet began to stutter,and i fell down in the gutter.

And a pig came by and lay down by my side.

A lady there espied me,and came over for to chide me.

'My God' she said,'your in an awful way

'You can tell some one who boozez,by the company he chooses'

And the pig got up and slowly walked away.

In rememberance of days gone by.

KKD

Nice story. Glad you've been able to turn the tables on the drink.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, there's really a little problem regarding foreign alcoholics in this country.

I mean those who regularly get a kick out of a drug bust and then they come up with their opinion that they should rot in jail.

I don't think that these guys have a problem with alcohol, only without it. Hicks.- laugh.png

Archived