Riverside 3 tourist ship catches fire

Lite Beer

Riverside 3 tourist ship catches fire

6-21-2014-11-29-58-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

Riverside 3 tourist ship catches fireRiverside 3 tourist ship catches fire

BANGKOK: -- A large 900-person cruise ship caught fire while docking at the pier of the Riverside hotel in Chao Phraya river this morning, injuring two perons.
The injured perons are later identified as the chefs of the river cruiser.

The fire started at the kitchen which is at the rear of the cruise ship, Riverside 3, and quickly spread, according to Bovorn Mongkol police station at 6.30 a.m. Saturday.

Three fire engines and two fire boats rushed to the scene upon alerted and were able to put the fire under control an hour later.

The fire has already raged to almost half of the length of the tourist vessel.

The two chefs, a man and a woman, received burn injuries as they tried to put out the fire which started by cooking gas leaks.

Damages to the river cruiser is under assessment as well as the exact cause of the fire is being examined by forensic police

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/riverside-3-tourist-ship-catches-fire/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=riverside-3-tourist-ship-catches-fire

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-06-21

I will never ever set my foot on any of these river cruisers you see here in Thailand or especially in Saigon.

Entire region, by the way.

Rather sooner than later one will capsize and we will see a huge amount of people lose their life.

They are catastrophes waiting to happen.

Ticking bombs.

Then, in the aftermath, when the "on the run owner" is caught.

He will be slapped with a tax fraud sentence.

PS.

Thailand is an IMO country, thus must follow SOLAS regulations.

Edited by Travel2003

LOL do you seriously beleive that any of the ship owners have ever heard of the IMO or SOLAS regs. Of course they signed it and dumped the paper somewhere...All boats here are dangerous to some point. When looking at the Raja Ferry in Samui the other day all of the handles of the safty rings where a group of people could grip onto where fallen off, just old and rotten and never replaced. No safety checks here in Thailand I think.

Having lived on the river for 6 years I can say that I have never seen a tourist boat pass that I could see passing any Western safety inspection. I know that we aren't in Kansas any more but these boats are used by honest tourists who assume that a boat charging $100+ per person for a 1/2 day cruise in safe. I don't think it is fair to expose them to this kind of lax quality standard. I hope this event provokes change but 6 years here tells me it won't....too sad

Sent from my ASUS_T00I using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Everything you say is corredt.

However TIT baby! w00t.gifw00t.gifunsure.png.pagespeed.ce.E7Vo3qsmeC.png

After spending 26 years in the Navy and Navy Reserve I would never book a cruise talk about a accident waiting to happen. The crew is made up of different nationalities whose first language isn't English good luck communicating during a emergency. Yes I know they all have to speak English but have you ever tried to understand a Phillipino in am emergency I have and no thank you. There will eventually be a cruise ship sinking or fire that will claim hundreds of lives if not thousands

• Like 1

Fortunately, apparently no tourists were aboard, merely the crew.

Maybe there will now be a check of the vessel's safety systems and fire fighting equipment/alarms etc.

In the early days I was here I asked a crew member of a boat once where the fire extinguishers and smoke alarms were on board, he looked at me rolled his eyes and pointed at the river... "have plenty water, and crew no smoke, no need"

i didnt stay for the night. whistling.gif

Two badly burnt in fire on Chao Phraya cruiser
The Sunday Nation June 22, 2014 1:00 am

30236820-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Two people were seriously injured in a fire on a luxurious cruise ship on the Chao Phraya River in Bangkok's Bang Phlat district yesterday morning.

Police suspect the fire, which started at about 6.30am on the two-storey boat moored at the Riverside Hotel's pier, resulted from a cooking gas leak and subsequent explosions while staff were preparing meals.

The burns victims were identified as cook Budsaya Chairassami, 44, and security guard Terdsak Kijjawat, 41.

It took fire fighters almost two hours to get control the blaze, which caused slight damage to a nearby boat.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-06-22

LOL do you seriously beleive that any of the ship owners have ever heard of the IMO or SOLAS regs. Of course they signed it and dumped the paper somewhere...All boats here are dangerous to some point. When looking at the Raja Ferry in Samui the other day all of the handles of the safty rings where a group of people could grip onto where fallen off, just old and rotten and never replaced. No safety checks here in Thailand I think.

Ha! I look at the same things when boarding any vessel. Could you locate the PFD's? They are in one room which would be nearly impossible to access enmasse and quickly in a real emergency. No telling how many life jackets are actually in that room since I was not allowed entry.

Having lived on the river for 6 years I can say that I have never seen a tourist boat pass that I could see passing any Western safety inspection. I know that we aren't in Kansas any more but these boats are used by honest tourists who assume that a boat charging $100+ per person for a 1/2 day cruise in safe. I don't think it is fair to expose them to this kind of lax quality standard. I hope this event provokes change but 6 years here tells me it won't....too sad

"these boats are used by honest tourists "

More pompous twaddle about how wonderful things are in the west.

All the "honest tourists" who pay tens of thousands of dollars for cruises on ships that win gold star approval by the much vaunted "western safety inspections" definitely get their money's worth.

In 2013 alone...not counting all the cases of food poisoning and other diseases, usually in tandem with non-functioning toilets and an absence of uncontaminated foor & water and of course the occasional drunk captains who navigate oil tankers aground where they spill gallons of polluting oil ...

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2013/12/articles/social-media-1/top-10-most-outrageous-cruise-ship-stories-of-2013-the-worst-cruise-line-in-the-world-award/

It's been a long year for the cruise lines. Cruise ship fires, engine failures and other mishaps have dominated the travel news in 2013. We have written several hundreds of articles this year under our motto: "everything the cruise lines don't want you to know."

2013 has been the year of the disabled cruise ship. First, we suffered through the 24-hour-a-day CNN coverage of the infamous Carnival Triumph poop cruise. Next came the Carnival Dream, which experienced propulsion problems followed by the Carnival Legend which also experienced propulsion issues attributable to poor maintenance. Then the Carnival Elation and the Carnival-owned P&O Ventura joined the growing list of disabled/impaired cruise ships. It was only mid-March. Carnival's reputation was circling the drain!

The rest of the year saw more of the same. Problems with the Regent Seven Seas Voyager (propulsion), Carnival-owned Crown Princess (sewage), Carnival Ecstasy (propulsion), Royal Grandeur%20of%20the%20Seas%20Fire.jpgCaribbean's Grandeur of the Seas (fire), NCL's Breakaway (loose nuts & broken welds), Royal Caribbean-owned Pullmantur's Zenith (fire causing loss of power), Bimini SuperFast (propulsion), Celebrity Millennium (propulsion), Carnival-owned Sun Princess (propulsion), Carnival-owned Royal Princess (propulsion), Carnival-owned Noordam (fire), Royal Caribbean's Allure of the Seas (propulsion), Carnival-owned Dawn Princess (fire), MSC Magnifica (allision), Royal Caribbean's Rhapsody of the Seas (hull repair), Saga Ruby (generator break down), and Celebrity's Constellation (propulsion).

804462-cruise-ship-ipadonly.jpg

Oceanos%20Sinking.jpg

More honest tourists on a Rhine cruise ... SOS!!

Rhine%20River%20Cruise%202.jpg

Edited by Suradit69

"these boats are used by honest tourists "

Most pompous twaddle about how wonderful things are in the west.

All the "honest tourists" who pay tens of thousands of dollars for cruises on ships that win gold star approval by the much vaunted "western safety inspections" definitely get their money's worth.

In 2013 alone...not counting all the cases of food poisoning and other diseases, usually in tandem with non-functioning toilets and an absence of uncontaminated foor & water.

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2013/12/articles/social-media-1/top-10-most-outrageous-cruise-ship-stories-of-2013-the-worst-cruise-line-in-the-world-award/

It's been a long year for the cruise lines. Cruise ship fires, engine failures and other mishaps have dominated the travel news in 2013. We have written several hundreds of articles this year under our motto: "everything the cruise lines don't want you to know."

2013 has been the year of the disabled cruise ship. First, we suffered through the 24-hour-a-day CNN coverage of the infamous Carnival Triumph poop cruise. Next came the Carnival Dream, which experienced propulsion problems followed by the Carnival Legend which also experienced propulsion issues attributable to poor maintenance. Then the Carnival Elation and the Carnival-owned P&O Ventura joined the growing list of disabled/impaired cruise ships. It was only mid-March. Carnival's reputation was circling the drain!

The rest of the year saw more of the same. Problems with the Regent Seven Seas Voyager (propulsion), Carnival-owned Crown Princess (sewage), Carnival Ecstasy (propulsion), Royal Grandeur%20of%20the%20Seas%20Fire.jpgCaribbean's Grandeur of the Seas (fire), NCL's Breakaway (loose nuts & broken welds), Royal Caribbean-owned Pullmantur's Zenith (fire causing loss of power), Bimini SuperFast (propulsion), Celebrity Millennium (propulsion), Carnival-owned Sun Princess (propulsion), Carnival-owned Royal Princess (propulsion), Carnival-owned Noordam (fire), Royal Caribbean's Allure of the Seas (propulsion), Carnival-owned Dawn Princess (fire), MSC Magnifica (allision), Royal Caribbean's Rhapsody of the Seas (hull repair), Saga Ruby (generator break down), and Celebrity's Constellation (propulsion).

804462-cruise-ship-ipadonly.jpg

Oceanos%20Sinking.jpg

Never claimed things are perfect in the West. That's just your reading.

I stated that the West has safety regulations NOT that it was perfect.

• Like 2

So first you laugh and claim they don't know.

Then you claim they do know, as they sign papers but dump the papers somewhere.

So you basically laugh at yourself.

Nothing to do with signatures.

It has to do with certification, if not they will not be able to get an insurance, thus not be able to operate.

However, they pay off officials when they do the audits, in order to get the correct paperwork/certification, and a go ahead to operate.

just forget it.....you seem not to want to understand me....

No, sorry I don't.

We all have our subjects which we have fairly strong knowledge in.

Issues regarding ILO, ITF, IMO, SOLAS, STCW, MARPOL (Port State Controls, Audits and Classification certification) is kind of my thing, having (and still is) dealt with it for 29 years.

Anyhow, we both agree, whatever rules, the owners here bribe inspectors to issue the certification.

smile.png