Phuket Brit in amazing escape from spectacular crash

Lite Beer

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I drove an ambulance in San Diego back in 1969-1970. I remember how frustrated I felt when we pulled into Mercy Hospital with a person in a serious condition but would have to wait for a nurse with a clipboard to get the insurance information before we could wheel him/her into the emergency room. There were no exceptions.
  • Like 2

I think we can assume his not wearing a seat belt may have saved his life. 
I don't see where it says he was drunk.

I'd assume his severe head injuries were caused by being thrown from the vehicle due to not wearing a seatbelt myself.

Fortuners are fitted with front seat air bags.

I hope they cancel his visa and send him back to the island. That's where Brits belong. rolleyes.gif.pagespeed.ce.hZ59UWKk-s.gif

A bit harsh.....

Aren't we guests here in Thailand? Don't we have the money to take a taxi, when we have the money to drink? Do we have to take advantage of the fact, that there are no speed traps, nor sufficient traffic control?

I'd assume his severe head injuries were caused by being thrown from the vehicle due to not wearing a seatbelt myself.
Fortuners are fitted with front seat air bags.

A seatbelt is alot more effective at preventing a driver being thrown from a vehicle than an airbag.

"I figured it out , they were from BKK-PKT Hospital and probably waiting for the guy to answer if he has insurance or not and if he has insurance , his bill is gaining on what services he's had already  and what can they add on before anyone checks...."

Your power of deduction is fantastic! Very clever indeed!
tongue.png

"Money isn't everything ,but it's way ahead of what's in 2 nd place ! TiT "

Is Thailand the ONLY country where hospitals and medic have a interest in money?
Without money or insurance which hospital, in which country would welcome a patient?
coffee1.gif

Any public hospital in Australia, New Zealand or Cuba, just to name 3 off the top of my head

Where in the original story does it say he was drinking?  You only assume he was drinking, Assumptions are the mother of all  (insert word here).

Don't waste your breath mate, the TV detectives have already convicted him in kangaroo court, its pathetic !!!

No one happened to mention that his ambulance is sitting around at the presumed scene of the accident , while pictures are being taken and some people are just standing around shooting the <deleted> ,while the poor guy lays there , looking like he could use a Doctor and some x-rays to see how bad he's been hurt! 

I worked the ER in the USAF , a person's life can be lost if he doesn't get to the hospital quick enough after a horrific accident like this , Yet ,it looks like nobody is in a hurry to get him to the Hospital ???

I figured it out , they were from BKK-PKT Hospital and probably waiting for the guy to answer if he has insurance or not and if he has insurance , his bill is gaining on what services he's had already  and what can they add on before anyone checks....

A crash victim that looks that bad , should be rushed to the ER immediately after getting him into the Ambulance !

Worry about Life first , money later.....but here money is the root of all evil , and EVIL spelled backwards means : LIVE !

Money isn't everything ,but it's way ahead of what's in 2 nd place ! TiT 

They are trying to find his other sandal

• Like 1

Anothe brilliant investor rushing home to catch the opening of a stockmarket somewhere in the world, poised to close a multi million deal?

Probably not. More likely a drunken moron, speeding, and endangering others. What a shame this candidate for a Darwin Award didn't do the job properly, and rid the rest of us of his presence.

Unfortunately his demise wouldn't add significantly to the collective IQ. My guess is that his IQ probably wouldn't make double figures.

"I figured it out , they were from BKK-PKT Hospital and probably waiting for the guy to answer if he has insurance or not and if he has insurance , his bill is gaining on what services he's had already  and what can they add on before anyone checks...."

tongue.png

Is Thailand the ONLY country where hospitals and medic have a interest in money?
Without money or insurance which hospital, in which country would welcome a patient?
coffee1.gif

Any public hospital in Australia, New Zealand or Cuba, just to name 3 off the top of my head

Yes for Australia, and the long suffering taxpayer cops a bill for buckets of money to keep the lowest common denominator alive to soak up even more taxpayer $$, via the dole, sickness benefits, being in jail, etc.
  • Like 1

Look only had a couple pints I thought this was the autobahn My bad. It is bad enough we are all Farangs here then you throw booze in to it and got drunk idiot the behind wheel. I hope he is OK and wakes up with massive headache.coffee1.gif

Best wishes, Mr. Prichard, chalk it up to bad luck and move forward.

Lesson for you:

You get almost NO empathy from a UK public opinion court.

Had this been a Thai p.o. court it would be the opposite.

Yet another reason why the latter has earned the title, LOS

• Like 1

Aren't we guests here in Thailand? Don't we have the money to take a taxi, when we have the money to drink? Do we have to take advantage of the fact, that there are no speed traps, nor sufficient traffic control?

Where in the original story does it say he was drinking?  You only assume he was drinking, Assumptions are the mother of all  (insert word here).

Yes, I assume, that he was drinking. One can also assume, that the driver is mentally retarded, or had a sticking gas pedal. Assumptions are not accusations. We do not know, what actually caused the accident. One of these assumptions will turn out being correct, most possible the one with the highest probability: drinking. Let's wait and see. BTW: The quotation from the movie "Under Siege": "Assumptions are the mother of all  (insert word here)"  refers to a person dead or not dead and possible consequences following, and therefore used incorrectly.

Edited by fxe1200

tongue.png

coffee1.gif

Yes for Australia, and the long suffering taxpayer cops a bill for buckets of money to keep the lowest common denominator alive to soak up even more taxpayer $$, via the dole, sickness benefits, being in jail, etc.

Plus e.g. Vachira Hospital in Phuket.

Driving with thongs / jandals / flip flops on - dangerous.

What utter nonsense.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Are you sure? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2396615/Flip-flops-dangerous-drive-heels-10-near-miss-wearing-them.html

Are you seriously referring people to the Daily mail as proof of something?

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 1

I wish I had the ability like some of the people on TV, they see a person in the back of an ambulance and say he was drunk, 221b Baker St is where they should be living. He may not have been wearing his seat belt, but who does in Thailand. I had been driving for about 2 weeks while on a holiday and it felt uncomfortable not to wear one, it was just habit to put it on when I got into the car. Why is it not compulsory. The car should be left there for everyone else to see what high speed can do. Was he drunk, tired, swerved to miss something on the road (bike with no lights). He or the police are the only ones who know.  Maybe if he reads TV he will let us know.

It is compulsory.

• Like 1

At his age (43) he should have known better than to race home in the middle of the night. One can assume he does now, having learned it the hard way. I hope he makes a full recovery nevertheless. Maybe better not to judge too quickly, he might even have been sober, but his wife called him to go home ASAP because of some kind of emergency.

Thrown from car found in road means idiot had no seat belt on too, potential Darwin award 

• Like 1

I wish I had the ability like some of the people on TV, they see a person in the back of an ambulance and say he was drunk, 221b Baker St is where they should be living. He may not have been wearing his seat belt, but who does in Thailand. I had been driving for about 2 weeks while on a holiday and it felt uncomfortable not to wear one, it was just habit to put it on when I got into the car. Why is it not compulsory. The car should be left there for everyone else to see what high speed can do. Was he drunk, tired, swerved to miss something on the road (bike with no lights). He or the police are the only ones who know.  Maybe if he reads TV he will let us know.

It is compulsory to wear seat belts in the front and many are fined for not doing so, after 45+ years of driving I would find it disconcerting and uncomfortable not to wear one

Where does it say he wasn't drinking?  Why should alcohol be ruled out?

In my previous post, I used the words, "Assuming he was drunk" - the reasons for such an assumption comes from the time of the accident, 4:50am, the younger age of the driver, 43, and his abnormal actions behind the wheel before the accident, as seen by witnesses, high speed and vehicle left the roadway.

The fact that the front of the Fortuner was nearly split in half shows just how fast he was going.

I do not think it is unreasonable to consider alcohol played a factor in this accident.

I notice no one has considered the accident as a attempted suicide.  Maybe he "lined up" the pole.  Remember, hang yourself, or jump off a balcony etc - no life insurance.  Die in a car accident - family gets paid out. 

There could be many reasons for this accident, but on the small amount of facts available, I would conclude, rightly or wrongly, alcohol was involved.

• Like 1

The chances are that this guy was bladdered, are fairly high

They cant do these things in the UK ( or many other civilized countries ), so why come here with the selfish attitude they have.

Leave your drunk driving for the British Police to sort out, and get some help with the drinking AND the attitude

• Like 1

Getting carried out all bloodied up on a stretcher is not my idea of a great escape....which would be a planned event.

If it was a planned suicide, I'm sure getting "bloodied up on a stretcher" was not part of the plan.

I'm not saying this was an attempted suicide, but I considered it before posting, like I considered many other scenarios.

There could be many reasons for the accident, including, as another member mentioned, a mechanical failure.  Maybe he was looking for sympathy from a recent ex - who knows?

However, I would suggest the mostly likely cause of the accident was simply driving whilst intoxicated.

• Like 1

Why were you not wearing a seat belt?

because he is ignorant.  could be no other reason