Phuket Brit in amazing escape from spectacular crash

Lite Beer

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always drive barefoot, with the flip flops only going on once I reach my destination.  When traveling abroad, I also drive barefoot, I hate driving with shoes on.

I'm the same.
Once, early in my driving career,I had the strap get caught on the pedal when hitting the brakes. I've always kicked them off after that.

I always drive barefoot, with the flip flops only going on once I reach my destination.  When traveling abroad, I also drive barefoot, I hate driving with shoes on.

I'm the same.
Once, early in my driving career,I had the strap get caught on the pedal when hitting the brakes. I've always kicked them off after that.

Had exactly the same with some "toe-post" sandals, although clearly no point in me continuing to post as too many are being removed,

SDM

Hi Guys,

I'm not for long time into Thai Visa, but what I read until now a lot of unqualified comments and speculations(gossip) in all forums.

I recommend in general stick to the facts:

Facts: 1. He did'nt weared a belt, for this he got already his punishment.

2. High speed, but we don't why.

I will give you the follow possible scenario:

He got a call from his family bad news.

Caused of thess he drove to fast, not good but happend.

For example he got a heartattack and this was the reason the car got of the road, could also be happend with lower speed.

I recommend to all of us, first touch the own nose before you throwing a stone.

Unfortunately is our world full of hypocrits, who forgetting their past, being in a similar situation and was just lucky bastards.

People like this makes me sick. sick.gif

Uh?  No speculation in your commentary?

A "possible scenario" is speculative.

Of course we do not know (at this time) why he was speeding, but his speeding cannot be justified. Look at the result!

This was only another example of a possible speculation.

The problem is the ppl like to think the worst case.

Caused they like use a bad example: the mass press "Bad news are good news"

"Expect the worst and hope the best" thumbsup.gif

Look at this comment about flip flops and barefeet driving from German Automobil Club (ADAC) about 19 mill. members this add is from today.

Was ist im Sommer im Straßenverkehr erlaubt?

flipflop_fenster_365x170_139519.jpg

Auch bei hohen  Temperaturen müssen sich Autofahrer an die Verkehrsregeln halten, selbst wenn diese nicht jedem präsent sind: Wir informieren, was im Sommer im Straßenverkehr erlaubt ist, und geben zusätzlich nützliche Tipps.

• Sich barfuß oder mit Flip Flops ans Steuer zu setzen, ist grundsätzlich erlaubt. Ein Bußgeld droht dabei nicht. Wenn es allerdings zu einem Unfall kommt, können Gerichte das als Verstoß gegen die Sorgfaltspflicht werten und dem Fahrer eine Teilschuld zusprechen. Dann kann auch die Versicherung die Leistung ganz oder teilweise verweigern.

Simple Translation:

It is in general not forbidden to drive with flip flop or  barefeet,

but in case of an accident and this going to court, then you can be partly blamed.

Any insurance in germany will try to find a hair in the soup in any cases, that they can deny to pay partly or complete for the demages.

My recommendation: do what you want is up to you, caused some ppl don't like to learn before the have to bleed.

Does anyone know how this guy is doing ??? Is he recovering ????

I do. He is recovering fine. I shall forward this thread to him, including all the defamation.

Reason for crash: fell asleep (hes a very very moderate drinker too, I'll have you know)

Edit: mentioned the reason.

Edited by SeanPhuket
  • Like 1

I do. He is recovering fine. I shall forward this thread to him, including all the defamation.

Reason for crash: fell asleep (hes a very very moderate drinker too, I'll have you know)

Scary! A friend of mine was luckier, after coming back from Thailand he fell asleep whilst driving on a German autobahn (highway). Waking up he saw he was doing 30 km per hour, could have caused an accident as well.

Of course the reason for the accident was he fell asleep.  A moderate drinker coming home at 4:50am.  Maybe he should drink even more moderately in the future. biggrin.png

Edited by NamKangMan

Of course the reason for the accident was he fell asleep.  A moderate drinker coming home at 4:50am.  Maybe he should drink even more moderately in the future. biggrin.png

You're putting a smiley after your post, but your accusations really are not funny.

He is also the single father of a little girl and boy, thus up to his eye balls with being busy. More then likely not getting enough sleep, but still wanting (or needing) to head out to perhaps meet someone for a nice time yet be back in time for a few hours sleep and to be there in the morning for the kids. 

Oh, and before you suggest he left the kids alone... no, he uses a sitter.

Excellent father.

• Like 2

You're putting a smiley after your post, but your accusations really are not funny.

Thanks mate..

He is also the single father of a little girl and boy, thus up to his eye balls with being busy. More then likely not getting enough sleep, but still wanting (or needing) to head out to perhaps meet someone for a nice time yet be back in time for a few hours sleep and to be there in the morning for the kids. 

Oh, and before you suggest he left the kids alone... no, he uses a sitter.

Excellent father.

This thread is about his car accident, not his parenting ability.

I will say to you, Sean, I simply do not believe that alcohol did not play a part in this accident.  It's as simple as that. Maybe he "fell asleep" due to the alcohol he consumed, however "moderately" he was drinking.

I haven't questioned his parenting, but I have openly questioned whether alcohol impaired his ability to drive a vehicle on the morning in question.

One thing is for sure, he's lucky to be alive, other road users are lucky he didn't kill them, and his kids are lucky they still have a father. 

Edited by NamKangMan

My accusations were really meant to be funny.  I think he was drunk.  Simple as that.  All the other BS is typical of the Thai style of excuses for car accidents. Eg. brake failure etc.

The adding of the "smiley' was sarcastic to show I simply don't believe the story of falling asleep. 

Edited by NamKangMan

I haven't questioned his parenting, but I have openly questioned whether alcohol impaired his ability to drive a vehicle on the morning in question.

No, you have not questioned, you have accused him of causing the accident due to alcohol intake. And you don't even know the guy. And now you're saying you think your accusations are funny?

You're way, way over the limit here IMO, pun intended.

Edited by stevenl

No, you have not questioned, you have accused him of causing the accident due to alcohol intake. And you don't even know the guy. And now you're saying you think your accusations are funny?

You're way, way over the limit here IMO, pun intended.

There was a typo in my post. 

It was supposed to read, "My accusations WEREN'T really meant to be funny."  Not, "My accusations were meant to be funny."  It's too late for me to edit it.

It's true, I don't know the guy.  Do you?

I openly accused him of driving whilst drunk.  Pure and simple. 

It happens on TV everyday.  I'm accusing him, whether rightly or wrongly.  On the limited facts, I think he was driving whilst under the influence of alcohol, which is not an uncommon crime here, if fact, way too common, and it's killed many people, in many cases, innocent road users.

How is it that you draw the conclusion that he must have been sober at the time of the accident?

How is it that you draw the conclusion that he must have been sober at the time of the accident?

I don't draw any conclusions about the guy having the accident because I don't know what happened. I do know though accidents happen, both with and without alcohol intake.

Edited by stevenl

I think we can assume his not wearing a seat belt may have saved his life. 

I don't see where it says he was drunk.

As far as I can recall, I think your right I was not wearing my seat belt, does the seat belt actually cause more injury ?  

I checked on youtube the people testing these different scenarios say the seat belt improves chances of survival.

That said, I do know someone who had an accident @ 60 mph had seat belt and air bag, the seat belt broke his collar bone.

As far as I can tell I was not wearing my seat belt because otherwise I would have a mark from it across my should and down my chest.??

I was not thrown from the vehicle, I remained in the drivers seat, I do not recall the moments before the accident.

After surveying the area, I can say that the road bends to right, and my path was continued straight into the concrete pole, therefore I can only deduce I had fallen asleep.

What I can say is if the car were another half metre more to the left, I would not be here today.

So whats the reason for this happening?

Drink: yes I did drink, however I time (with my iphone as stop watch, you can ask Dave from bar 69 or Nigel from sea dragon) my drinks so as not to get drunk, and I space them with orange sodas. It was my quietest of evening, nor was it the most drunken of evenings.

I can say I had an enjoyable evening, chatting with friends, fixing nigels cable tv at soi sea dragon, these being not the only bars I frequented that night!

I do find myself at loss to explain the loss of self control related to the quantity of alcohol consumed, note this being not the only occasion !

From their perspective it seems an easy practice to prize money from the customer and that is where their consideration stops, so much the hunger for money is and so little the consideration of the consequences.

On this occasion someone may be 2000 or 3000 baht up for their effort. However the consequence of these actions are a) almost robbed 4 children of their father   b ) financial cost of 800,000 baht c) several weeks of pain d) luckily no one else was hurt.

Whilst I am able to control to a certain extent the quantity and pace of alcohol I consume, I am unable to control what another would add/put into my drink.

This incident has frightened me, I cannot go out alone and assume I will be in control what I will consume and therefore myself.

Edited by ArranP

I was not thrown from the vehicle, I remained in the drivers seat, I do not recall the moments before the accident. After surveying the area, I can say that the road bends to right, and my path was continued straight into the concrete pole, therefore I can only deduce I had fallen asleep. What I can say is if the car were another half metre more to the left, I would not be here today. So whats the reason for this happening? Drink: yes I did drink, however I time (with my iphone as stop watch, you can ask Dave from bar 69 or Nigel from sea dragon) my drinks so as not to get drunk, and I space them with orange sodas. It was my quietest of evening, nor was it the most drunken of evenings. I can say I had an enjoyable evening, chatting with friends, fixing nigels cable tv at soi sea dragon, these being not the only bars I frequented that night! I do find myself at loss to explain the loss of self control related to the quantity of alcohol consumed, note this being not the only occasion ! From their perspective it seems an easy practice to prize money from the customer and that is where their consideration stops, so much the hunger for money is and so little the consideration of the consequences. On this occasion someone may be 2000 or 3000 baht up for their effort. However the consequence of these actions are a) almost robbed 4 children of their father cool.png financial cost of 800,000 baht c) several weeks of pain d) luckily no one else was hurt. Whilst I am able to control to a certain extent the quantity and pace of alcohol I consume, I am unable to control what another would add/put into my drink. This incident has frightened me, I cannot go out alone and assume I will be in control what I will consume and therefore myself.

Ahhhh, the old "my drinks were spiked" routine. 

Of course, you didn't realise it until about 4:30am.  biggrin.png

The thing that really concerns me about your post is this, "fixing nigels cable tv at soi sea dragon" - working illegally.  laugh.png

• Like 2

I was not thrown from the vehicle, I remained in the drivers seat, I do not recall the moments before the accident. After surveying the area, I can say that the road bends to right, and my path was continued straight into the concrete pole, therefore I can only deduce I had fallen asleep. What I can say is if the car were another half metre more to the left, I would not be here today. So whats the reason for this happening? Drink: yes I did drink, however I time (with my iphone as stop watch, you can ask Dave from bar 69 or Nigel from sea dragon) my drinks so as not to get drunk, and I space them with orange sodas. It was my quietest of evening, nor was it the most drunken of evenings. I can say I had an enjoyable evening, chatting with friends, fixing nigels cable tv at soi sea dragon, these being not the only bars I frequented that night! I do find myself at loss to explain the loss of self control related to the quantity of alcohol consumed, note this being not the only occasion ! From their perspective it seems an easy practice to prize money from the customer and that is where their consideration stops, so much the hunger for money is and so little the consideration of the consequences. On this occasion someone may be 2000 or 3000 baht up for their effort. However the consequence of these actions are a) almost robbed 4 children of their father cool.png financial cost of 800,000 baht c) several weeks of pain d) luckily no one else was hurt. Whilst I am able to control to a certain extent the quantity and pace of alcohol I consume, I am unable to control what another would add/put into my drink. This incident has frightened me, I cannot go out alone and assume I will be in control what I will consume and therefore myself.

The thing that really concerns me about your post is this, "fixing nigels cable tv at soi sea dragon" - working illegally.  laugh.png

Where your concerned, thank the lord for the removal of capital punishment.  

Edited by ArranP

You nearly capitally punished yourself, for your actions.  :)

You nearly capitally punished yourself, for your actions.  smile.png

Driving whilst drunk can explain the crashing of a car, what it does not explain is falling asleep at the wheel whilst driving a car, nor does the quantity of alcohol I had consumed.

Nigel is the owner at Sea Dragon Bar, Dave sits at 69 bar, don't believe me, ask them as to my state of being that night.  Or maybe its more fun just to continue your time making your posts here.  

Edited by ArranP

@ ArranP

No need to ask Nigel or Dave anying. In fact, if they were good friends, they shouldn't have let you drive.

Also, Nigel, and the owner of 69 Bar, may not be happy you are alleging there may have been something else put in your drink by staff, other than alcohol, to make you feel sleepy.

You were drunk, speeding and had an accident.  The reason you fell asleep was due to your level of intoxication - you could hardly say such a short distance caused driver fatigue. 

Learn from your mistake and be thankful you are still alive, able bodied, and not in gaol.

@ ArranP

No need to ask Nigel or Dave anying. In fact, if they were good friends, they shouldn't have let you drive.

Also, Nigel, and the owner of 69 Bar, may not be happy you are alleging there may have been something else put in your drink by staff, other than alcohol, to make you feel sleepy.

refer to my original text: "these being not the only bars I frequented that night!"

Having been here for some time I have my assumption where the spiking took place, not nigels bar and not 69 bar.

You were drunk, speeding and had an accident.  The reason you fell asleep was due to your level of intoxication - you could hardly say such a short distance caused driver fatigue. 

your opinion to which your are entitled.  

However for me the level of alcohol consumption does not explain the loss of self control on this evening, and several other evenings.  

This practice of spiking drinks happens and is a reality in Patong.  When its a short trip back to the hotel maybe its not so much an issue, however for someone coming from farther away with their own transport it has more serious consequences.  Diverting from the issue to blaming alcohol will not help any of us.    

Learn from your mistake and be thankful you are still alive, able bodied, and not in gaol.

This I will need to.

Edited by ArranP

@ ArranP

So, given that your excuse is your drink was spiked, and the fact that the accident was at 4:50am - at what point did you start to feel sleepy?

If 69 Bar, and Nigel from Sea Dragon Bar, were the last to see you, say around 4:30am, shouldn't they have noticed overt signs of intoxication and/or drug consumption?  smile.png

Also, why not ask the hospital to take blood and test for the drug?

@ ArranP

So, given that your excuse is your drink was spiked, and the fact that the accident was at 4:50am - at what point did you start to feel sleepy?

It does not interest me to provide you an "excuse",

I can recall I was fine, in charge of myself leaving the last place I frequented that night, which is the place I believe the spiking takes place, but for personal safety I'm not interested in naming here.  I also recall one lady tried to stop me leaving, in hindsight I assume this is because the drug had not yet had time enough to take effect and therefore, they had not yet the opportunity to lift the money from my person.

If 69 Bar, and Nigel from Sea Dragon Bar, were the last to see you, say around 4:30am, shouldn't they have noticed overt signs of intoxication and/or drug consumption?  smile.png

the spiking took place after leaving nigel an dave.

Also, why not ask the hospital to take blood and test for the drug?

The hospital took blood saturday afternoon about 12 hours after the incident, blood may have been taken before then but I was not conscious of it.  I will be contacting the hospital in the next days to follow this up, my friend she is Thai and speaks good English and can interpret for me.

The nurse mentioned my blood pressure, it was abnormally low on arrival to the hospital , something like 40 over 20.

Also, I had no hangover from the moment I woke up late saturday morning, I suffer terribly with hangovers when drinking too much. 

Edited by ArranP