BANGKOK 23 May 2019 23:43
Sign in to follow this  
punkfutures

Work Permit, No Degree

Greetings everyone,

I never got a college degree however I would like to teach English (in Thailand). A company based in Chang Mai that does TEFL certs tells me they would probably be able to get me a work permit and placement in Thailand even though I lack a BA. The company seems well established and reviewed.

From anyone's experience, does this seem feasible? Or perhaps a empty promise? I appreciate any advice.

I might end up teaching in China anyway, because of the greater earning potential.

thanks

I never got a college degree however I would like to teach English (in Thailand). A company based in Chang Mai that does TEFL certs tells me they would probably be able to get me a work permit and placement in Thailand even though I lack a BA. The company seems well established and reviewed.

Seems to me that they'll want to sell you such a course. After that, who knows. By law are you not entitled to work as an English teacher without a BA in any field.

How much is their well "established" TEFL, that doesn't mean anything in Thailand?

My wife might probably be able to buy me a brand new Mercedes Benz 500, if................

Best of luck.-wai2.gif -

Edited by sirchai

'How much is their well "established" TEFL, that doesn't mean anything in Thailand?'

If it didn't mean anything, perhaps most schools would not say 'TEFL Certificate' within their list of required qualifications.

more and more countries now require degrees.I am biased, so please do your own research, but you might be interested in the three-year BA TESOL degree program at Thongsook College.

It can also mean limited opportunities and being excluded form various jobs where they cannot get you a work permit.

I did the TEFL / TESOL courses thinking it would help. The first schooli applied to, asked only whether i had a degree or not ( I have). They didn't care anything about the English courses that i had done. Waste of money in my opinion.