Does Vientiane consulate typically ask for proof of Thailand departure itinerary tourist visa?

Do any of you have experience with the consular staff asking for proof of departure, or ever refusing to provide the requested tourist visa (double entry) for not having a departure itinerary?

The consulate posts ( http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/vientiane/en/consular/consular_check/ ) basic requirements here and they do not list that they require proof of exit from Thailand. However, under the tourist visa listing, there is an 'announcements line ( - Regular Applicants, please read here ) where they link to a notice/warning against seeking employment, etc., and state that they reserve the right to ask for these things, such as financial proof, departure itinerary, etc. ( here is the announcement: http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/docs/Tourist%20Visa%202013.pdf ) . . . so I wonder if they will ask.

I'm going this week to get a double entry and stay (no work sought), nearly 6 months on it, I was hoping to avoid buying the ticket because, given the 3 months validity of this visa, I'm guessing the departure date of any flight departing Thailand would have to be within 3 months, which would be a waste of money since I won't plan to have any departure, save a border run in 89 days, until mid-December.

Would greatly appreciate anyone sharing experiences they may or may not have had with requesting departure.

Only kicker here is I am bringing my Filipino girlfriend, who may be more likely to be required to show proof. Same thing at BKK on arrival last month--she was asked to show a departure ticket, while I was not.

Thanks everyone.

The do not ask for a ticket out of the country to get a visa.

Your girlfriend will only get a single entry visa (embassy policy for Filipinos). They will not ask for a ticket out from her either.

Your girlfriend will only get a single entry visa (embassy policy for Filipinos). They will not ask for a ticket out from her either.

My Filipino gf just obtained a double entry tourist visa at Vientiane, and so did a couple of Filipino friends of hers.

Most don't though. Perhaps for the first application. There have been many reports of only a single entry entry being done.

Thanks to both for your replies. Interesting (discriminatory) policy. My gf would be a first time so maybe that will help. One can hope.

At any rate, I think I will skip the flight purchase for now based on your advice, but still curious what other people have experiences with any flight itinerary inquiries.

Joe , I have just flown to Hanoi for a double entry tourist and they would only issue me a single without proof of an onward flight .

I showed them my Thai bank book with a balance over 160,000 baht and regular transfers from uk into my ac , my Thai drivers license , proof of address and rental agreement in my name but they would still only give me a single visa ! I think next time I'll stick to Vientiane , it will be a lot cheaper as I live in nong khai

• Like 1

Joe , I have just flown to Hanoi for a double entry tourist and they would only issue me a single without proof of an onward flight .

I showed them my Thai bank book with a balance over 160,000 baht and regular transfers from uk into my ac , my Thai drivers license , proof of address and rental agreement in my name but they would still only give me a single visa ! I think next time I'll stick to Vientiane , it will be a lot cheaper as I live in nong khai

I'm surprised that they even gave you a single! With all of the proof that you supplied you obviously aren't a "tourist"!

• Like 2

Last year had O visa. In Vientiane only 2 months, single entry.

Had to submit itinerary for thailand. There was only me but apparently no time to help me, and rather unfriendly. Last time i go to Vientiane.

• Like 1

So now I can answer my own question. They did not ask for an outbound ticket like many other locations supposedly do. Thank you ubonjoe for providing that reassurance.

As for the number of entries for my Filipino girlfriend, she was granted 2 entries. I am not sure whether that had anything to do with her application being done together with mine, or the fact that it was her first time requesting a visa, but in either case, we are set. Thanks.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...