Five arrested for shotgun mob attack in Phuket

Lite Beer

Five arrested for shotgun mob attack in Phuket
Eakkapop Thongtub

1403408289_1-org.jpg

The seized weapons: from left, a combat shotgun, a pump-action shotgun and what appears to be a compressed-air rifle. Top right is the pistol.

PHUKET: Police and heavily-armed Navy Marines on Friday (June 20) arrested five men in Chalong on charges that they led an attack on a small work camp, in which shotguns and petrol bombs were used.

Police seized a variety of firearms from the men, including two shotguns and a semi-automatic pistol, along with an assortment of knives and machetes. They also seized ammunition.

The Phuket News notes that the attack on the work camp, by a mob of some 50 people, was originally painted as a “poor encroachers versus rich landowners” confrontation, but the fact that police refused to name the arrested men suggests something more sinister may be at play.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/five-arrested-for-shotgun-mob-attack-in-phuket-46990.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-06-22

I sure would not want to be on the business end of either of pumps with a mad Thai on the other.

From the article: " the fact that police refused to name the arrested men suggests something more sinister may be at play."

Would someone familiar with Phuket elaborate.

Thanks

Edited by ClutchClark

I sure would not want to be on the business end of those.

From the article: " the fact that police refused to name the arrested men suggests something more sinister may be at play."

Thanks

"Would someone familiar with Phuket elaborate." - I would suggest they are well known "stand over men" who were paid by an "influential person" to do "the job."

• Like 1

Thanks

"Would someone familiar with Phuket elaborate." - I would suggest they are well known "stand over men" who were paid by an "influential person" to do "the job."

Thanks but does that mean the workcamp they attacked was a criminal camp? In US vernacular, Standover men are criminals who target other criminals. Edited by ClutchClark

I sure would not want to be on the business end of either of pumps with a mad Thai on the other.

Thanks

I don't think any foreigner knows what exactly is happening there, I even doubt the people involved know. What is sure is that there is a group of people living on land for which somebody else claims to have a land title. He wants to evict the 'squatters' and has tried to use violence in the past.

Judging from this story part of the land is already being developed, hence the labour camp, which came under attack apparently from the 'squatters'.

Thanks

Thanks but does that mean the workcamp they attacked was a criminal camp? In US vernacular, Standover men are criminals who target other criminals.

"Standover men are criminals who target other criminals." - not always. Standover men can target innocent shop owners for monthly "protection money" or, just firebomb a rival business. They can target the new boyfriends of an ex of another guy. Many different motivations to hire standover men. It's usually to collect on a debt.

From memory, and don't quote me on this, the case involved people living like squatters on some land, and they refused to move when told to, and were claiming some sort of right over the land.

Of course, the "owner" of the land, either legitimately, or illegitimately, wants to start building and making money, so he sends in the standover men to threaten the squatters to get them to move on, rather than go through a police and Court process.

• Like 1

Regardless of what the actual situation of the 'hirer' is.... They should be removing squatters in a legal way, and for his failure to abide by the law, he should be put in prison for a very long time to reflect.

The armed mob should be given even more prison time, because offering deadly services with deadly weapons makes these people highly dangerous individuals and should be removed from society for as long as possible.

Regardless of what the actual situation of the 'hirer' is.... They should be removing squatters in a legal way, and for his failure to abide by the law, he should be put in prison for a very long time to reflect.

The armed mob should be given even more prison time, because offering deadly services with deadly weapons makes these people highly dangerous individuals and should be removed from society for as long as possible.

The "hirer" is rarely caught on Phuket. We've had a few assisinations in recent times, with no offenders being bought to justice, however, with the Army here, who knows.

These offenders may even be police officers, hence, no photos, or, they may be talking, an no photos might be for witness protection.

• Like 1

Thanks

I don't know anything about Phuket. If it was Bangkok I'd say they were suggesting the "mob" might have been made up of "off-duty" military policemen. They supposedly run the protection racket in Klong Thoey and are available for other jobs.

• Like 1

The "hirer" is rarely caught on Phuket. We've had a few assisinations in recent times, with no offenders being bought to justice, however, with the Army here, who knows.

These offenders may even be police officers, hence, no photos, or, they may be talking, an no photos might be for witness protection.

I was wondering if they were off-duty police, but thought we would have seen more pistols confiscated...unless they were allowed to keep those as they would possibly be registered?

It seems most arrests are followed by photos of those apprehanded made public to the press.

Would these arrests have even taken place if not for the junta?

Nice guns

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

That sawn off shotgun with the pistol grip would get the job done.

I noticed that one. Very nasty close up.

The 'regular' shotgun would also be classed as sawn off in the UK.

Edited by Bpuumike

Don't bring a compressed air-rifle to a combat shotgun fight.

Where I live those are used for high fruit they can't otherwise reach. Though any sort of bird that doesn't overfly the area will soon be on a market stall too.

Very strange (or not), no photos of those arrested.

Maybe the BIB don't do selfies?

Nice guns

Looks like a Mossberg 400 - about an 18" barrel, pull the plug and you can load 8 00 buck

True, but some of these are .177 or even .22 caliber - can kill a man at close range, one thru the eyeball and you're toast - I can shoot thru a deck of playing cards at about 25' with mine, don't underestimate them, they're effective.

True, but some of these are .177 or even .22 caliber - can kill a man at close range, one thru the eyeball and you're toast - I can shoot thru a deck of playing cards at about 25' with mine, don't underestimate them, they're effective.

Agree but would be more effective with proper sights ;-)

Nice guns

Looks like a Mossberg 400 - about an 18" barrel, pull the plug and you can load 8 00 buck

I can see the slug barrel alright but hard for me to see an extended magazine so it might only hold 5+1 or 6+1.

Nice guns

I can see the slug barrel alright but hard for me to see an extended magazine so it might only hold 5+1 or 6+1.

More than likely a 500 model. M 400 was a lever action .22. Not that it really matters

Edited by Shot