A taste of home. Sources for Western food and products in Thailand

I like Thailand but there are a few things I miss that I was used to buying in the US and Europe.

I've found TopMarket to be a good source for some US and UK imports, Makro, Tesco/Lotus and Big-C and Subway usually have A&W rootbeer (something I never found in Europe) and I finally located pipe cleaners in the liquor store at TopMarket in Siam Paragon BKK.

Has anyone else found any good sources for US or EU products in BKK or Ubon?

I'm still looking for: English Muffins, lefse, Tootsie rolls or Milk Duds, decent priced Moët Imperial Nectar, Proseco, pepperoni, Swedish meatballs, good cheddar cheese, a guitar shop that does repairs, stuff like that.

Edited by Guitar God
  • Like 1

You may have to do some digging but my experience tells me that there is usually at least a couple of stores in most larger cities that sell imported food. In Chiang Mai we have the Rimping supermarket chain which has an extensive selection of imported food plus there are other smaller stores doing the same thing - Bangkok must be loaded to the gills with such places. I have to say that there is no food from the West that I want to buy that I can't find in Chiang Mai. And looking at your list, with the exception of the Moet, (I've never looked), all are readily available.

• Like 1

I am looking for a DICKIE DIDO if you spot one please post where.facepalm.gif

is that the ones that hang down to her knees, might just be a long shotw00t.gif

that's it sj.long hair and scary I haven't seen one of those since my hanging out times at the marine bar 1985.bah.gif

not bothered about the colour I just want one to remind me of those nights.giggle.gif

"English Muffins, lefse, Tootsie rolls or Milk Duds, decent priced Moët Imperial Nectar, Proseco, pepperoni, Swedish meatballs, good cheddar cheese, a guitar shop that does repairs, stuff like that."

Sounds like a backstage rider for a concert contract.

Thai don't do western food full stop. They eat pizza though with a fork and knife. And bread covered in sugar and pork burgers the list goes on. I have given up on Western food here. Luckily I quite like Thai food.thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

You may have to do some digging but my experience tells me that there is usually at least a couple of stores in most larger cities that sell imported food. In Chiang Mai we have the Rimping supermarket chain which has an extensive selection of imported food plus there are other smaller stores doing the same thing - Bangkok must be loaded to the gills with such places. I have to say that there is no food from the West that I want to buy that I can't find in Chiang Mai. And looking at your list, with the exception of the Moet, (I've never looked), all are readily available.

Yes, and you also have Sausage King there too, but that is no use to me living in the sticks. I even tried Sausage King for deliveries, and they don't accept credit cards. I still cannot believe that a company like Sausage King don't accept credit cards. Do they really deserve our business?

• Like 1

Villa Market in Bangkok

Best Supermarket in Pattaya

Don't agree, Villa Supermarket in Bangkok, tins of Princes corned beef 260 Baht, down the road at Foodland 179 Baht. Best Supermarket in Pattaya is Friendship.

Yes, and you also have Sausage King there too, but that is no use to me living in the sticks. I even tried Sausage King for deliveries, and they don't accept credit cards. I still cannot believe that a company like Sausage King don't accept credit cards. Do they really deserve our business?

In Thailand that's pretty normal. Bank transfers are the norm, here.

I have been told, very recently, that Sausage King are no more.

Anyone????

I have been told, very recently, that Sausage King are no more.

Anyone????

If that's true, I can understand why.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have found very very few actual US products. You may buy a US-namef product, but if was manufactured in Thailand (if there is any Thai writing on it) it will NOT taste the same. Colgate toothpaste was the worst. Still looking for chocolate. I live in Chiang Mai and I've been here a month. Any help would be appreciated. Honey Mustard dressing?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Tops Market has a wide selection of Lindt chocolate from Switzerland, Herseys chocolate bars and cooking chocolate and chips in both Ubon and Bkk.

For salad dressing, in Europe I could not find Western, (red French) dressing anywhere so I found a recipe and made my own and it tasted just as good, if you can't find honey mustard dressing I'm sure the ingredients are available and there's a recipe on the Internet.

I have found very very few actual US products. You may buy a US-namef product, but if was manufactured in Thailand (if there is any Thai writing on it) it will NOT taste the same. Colgate toothpaste was the worst. Still looking for chocolate. I live in Chiang Mai and I've been here a month. Any help would be appreciated. Honey Mustard dressing?

you poor soul I don't know how you are copeing,toothpaste,chocolate,and help with honey mustard dressing.

makro has,

cider vinegar,

Dijon mustard,

olive oil,

lime jus,

garlic.

I am sure you can find someone to unscrew the tops off the bottles.whistling.gif

• 3 weeks later...
Your sarcasm is appreciated. I've been very fortunate in life and if those are my biggest problems I'm a happy camper. And yes, someone may have to unscrew the bottles here for me. Arthritis makes them hard for me to remove. Are you volunteering?

Hey Meatboy, while we're on the subject, any idea where I can get a high grade Ribeye? No, you won't have to cut it for me.

its been well documented that I get my beef from PON-YANG-KHAM beef co-operative it is first class and the price is as well [rib eye] 620bht.x kilo over the counter or whole rib eye 590bht.i usually buy 20-30kilo's of different cuts.sirlion,chuck,sirloin rump,stewing,if you live anywhere near the road from sakon nakon they deliver to Bangkok every week[sat] for us or look up them and see if the have a shop near you.

tell.no.0868596865.

before I started buying from them I found tops supermarket was not bad.

regarding the unscrewing of tops on bottles,i worked down the coal mines for 20yrs.and my hands are full of athritus so I know what its like to have a bacon sarny in the morning and cant get the top off the hp.sauce.

Hey Meatboy, while we're on the subject, any idea where I can get a high grade Ribeye? No, you won't have to cut it for me.

Have you been to Rimping Supermarket yet?  Just about everything you said you wanted can be found there.  They have Ku beef there, which, like the beef at Ponyangkam, is raised according to US standards.  They also carry Wagyu beef but that's very costly.  Apart from the Wagyu beef, the best beef I've found in Chiang Mai is the Black Angus imported from Australia.  It's available at the Hang Dong branch of Makro. It's not always on offer, though.

I'm in Chaing Mai, but I'll see if one is here. I've only been in country for 2 mo and I'm trying to nail things down. 20 yrs? I've only seen that in movies. Brutal. I've been riding bikes for 45 yrs, the last 25 are Harleys. It's getting really hard in traffic that's stop and go. So of course my arthritis is worst in my left hand. I don't know who termed the phrase "Golden Years", but if I find them I'm gonna beat the crap out of them.

I'm in Chaing Mai, but I'll see if one is here. I've only been in country for 2 mo and I'm trying to nail things down. 20 yrs? I've only seen that in movies. Brutal. I've been riding bikes for 45 yrs, the last 25 are Harleys. It's getting really hard in traffic that's stop and go. So of course my arthritis is worst in my left hand. I don't know who termed the phrase "Golden Years", but if I find them I'm gonna beat the crap out of them.

Rimping supermarkets are only in Chiang Mai. And Makro Hang Dong here as well.  Where do you live in Chiang Mai?

Close to Maya Plaza.

There's a smaller Rimping supermarket in the bottom floor.  I think the Makro in Mae Rim also carries the Australian Black Angus Beef.  Maybe that's closer.