Thai women warned of overseas work risks: Prachuap Khiri Khan

webfact

Women warned of overseas work risks

Prachuap Khiri Khan,23 June 2014 (NNT)The Prachuap Khiri Khan Employment Office has warned Thai women of human trafficking by illegal recruiters as they have induced many Thai women to accept massage jobs in South Korea.

Recently, the employment department in Prachuap Khiri Khan reported an upsurge in the number of deceptive recruiters luring Thai women to work in South Korea.

Mrs. Arom Wajarat, an officer from the Employment Department, Prachuap Khiri Khan, said that according to the reports, Thai women are lured by a salary of 40,000 baht a month with the false promise of a job offer. Reportedly, many Thai women are then forced into prostitution, are detained and are likely to suffer abuse.

The South Korean immigration office and police have applied strict measures and suppression action, while many spas and message shops have been closed down due to involvement with human trafficking and prostitution, Mrs.Arom added

Thai women are warned of propaganda offering work in the foreign labor market by undocumented recruitment agencies. For more information, please contact tel.032-602270 ext.18

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-06-23 footer_n.gif

Still there are many taking the bait of working in Middle East, Singapore, South Korea, and even in few European countries, knowing what might they end up with...so many news were published on the topic, still people are flying off to these destinations...

A lot see the ones that return with big money, new house, new car and new husband or several internet boyfriends. What they don't see are the ones left behind, 300-500 a day drug habits or the ones paying thousands just to stay illegal in a country.

I suppose ones decision is set from the fortunes of a few they see return to their village. What changes this mind set?

well this is not knew.....massage is quiet a lot of times associated with reason to prostitution.....and unfortunetly because of its history thai womans abroad are still famous for that and used for that....!

this warning is absolutly a good new for the thai women.

instead of to put so much publicity on tv and rabbish program, they should also produce more short documentary about driving with alcool, gambling adiction, mafias etc etc to prevent and teach the population.

coffee1.gif

Oh Good...Yet another story which mentions the phrase "human trafficking" prominently. What a pleasant surprise to see so many stories about the huge efforts the Thai authorities are making to combat human trafficking.....

Of course it is just a coincidence that Thailand was recently criticised on its record.... shame or loss of face does get results?

• Like 1

Still there are many taking the bait of working in Middle East, Singapore, South Korea, and even in few European countries, knowing what might they end up with...so many news were published on the topic, still people are flying off to these destinations...

I don't know about 'taking the bait' or about S Korea... But I can tell you many of the massage girls who used to come to Singapore came multiple times because of the money they could make. The Singapore government has basically shut down that part of the economy (something I don't agree with), but I frequently get messages from old friends--including one a few days back--asking if the massage scene here has revived. I still warn them away. Most now work in various parts of Malaysia or the Middle East. Malaysian shops seem pretty benign, but I've heard a couple of horror stories out of the Middle East (Oman and Dubai to be precise).

I think its because of the human nature of greed, gullibility and exploitation that drives stories of human trafficking like this.

Some obviously know what they are getting into but are willing to take the risks to make a quick buck.

Some are more naive and believe fairy-tale stories fed by recruiters who are often friends and relatives.

Some get into it like a multi-level marketing (MLM) pyramid scheme, you get lured, you lure another person who then lures several others for commision and soon you become a mama-san.

As long as the demand is there the supply side will supply and for some reason, sex-trade exploitation in society seems less evil then dealing drugs or robbing someone as can be seen in the punishment metted out on offenders.

So is the majority greedy or gullible?

Of course there is much legitimate therapeutic massage work overseas, too. I know for a fact that many, if not most, of the Thai women working in legitimate licensed massage in the LA area never did it a day back home. They studied it in LA. You have to for the license.

• 1 month later...
I'll share my story.....

About three weeks ago, my wife gets a phone call from her mother saying she and many others from the village have been offered work in France, working on a farm. A woman well known to them in the village is married to a French guy, she said that in order to work in France they would need 30,000 baht from everyone to enable her to go to bangkok and sort the visas out. She then said to them all that it was a two year contract, paying 50,000 baht per month! However they would have to take back 10,000 baht per month to cover the cost of the visas! I have no idea if the other muppets went for it but her mother won't be one of them!