Angelina Jolie visits Thailand refugee camps, calls for global action

webfact

Jolie visits Thailand refugee camps, calls for global action
By Coconuts Bangkok

53a45e936.jpg

Photo: UNHCR

Bangkok: -- Hollywood star Angelina Jolie visited a Myanmar refugee camp in Mae Hong Son province Friday to call awareness to the world’s refugee problems.

On World Refugee Day, Jolie took a trip up north to discuss the lives of Myanmar refugees in Ban Mai Nai Soi camp as Goodwill Ambassador for the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees.

"Preventing armed conflict should be a collective responsibility of the international community," Jolie said. "This staggering surge in refugee numbers shows that the world is failing to meet that responsibility.

This is an unjust and unsustainable situation. The only answer is to devote greater efforts and resources to addressing conflict worldwide – there are no humanitarian solutions to political problems." [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2014/06/23/jolie-visits-thailand-refugee-camps-calls-global-action

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-06-23

• Like 1

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"armed conflict", she said ...???

<DELETED>ing loony film star, knows nothing apart from self-promotion. Idiot.

I do believe she was making a general statement, it being World Refugee Day and all...

But even in relation to the specific location:

Ban Mai Nai Soi shelters 11,890 refugees of the Karen ethnic group fleeing fighting in Myanmar.

• Like 2

Don't you just luv em; JT took off in her Private Plane to an undisclosed destination? Was JT flying the plane?

She does a lot more than others do, and she works on a mirco level by adopting some childern. Not much said about trafficing, but then again needs to get out of the country?

If people have time, go to one of your local services in Thailand and spend some time there as a volunteer. You may make someones life better for the day, and may change your life. Just a thought. All of us need to do more selfless acts, me included.

Can someone explain to me the difference between child trafficking and adopting some foreign children and dragging them to the USA?

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Some should tell Angelina that when you visit a country your supposed to take a T shirt home!

Only joking.

This woman has used in fame to bring forward the plight of the displaced and the underprivileged .

I have nothing but admiration for her!

And to say she looks scary is a low blow considering losing both breasts to cancer and even then didn't hide it but inspired millions of women to have regular check ups!

George Cloony is much the same do a lot of good work.

Don't you just luv em; JT took off in her Private Plane to an undisclosed destination? Was JT flying the plane?

She does a lot more than others do, and she works on a mirco level by adopting some childern. Not much said about trafficing, but then again needs to get out of the country?

If people have time, go to one of your local services in Thailand and spend some time there as a volunteer. You may make someones life better for the day, and may change your life. Just a thought. All of us need to do more selfless acts, me included.

Can someone explain to me the difference between child trafficking and adopting some foreign children and dragging them to the USA?

Child trafficking often involves either forced prostitution or child-labor - I don't think the adoptees were in the same environment.

Can't believe someone could ask such a question. It's like asking the difference between consensual s*x and forced r*pe.

• Like 1

Thailand does not want them. She should be happy Thailand lets them squat on their land illegally. Maybe she should give them a ride to Bangladesh where they are from and talk Bangladesh into taking them back.

You are mixing up ethnic Karens of Burma with the muslim Rohingya who migrated from Bangladesh

Some should tell Angelina that when you visit a country your supposed to take a T shirt home!

Only joking.

This woman has used in fame to bring forward the plight of the displaced and the underprivileged .

I have nothing but admiration for her!

And to say she looks scary is a low blow considering losing both breasts to cancer and even then didn't hide it but inspired millions of women to have regular check ups!

Also a fake Rolex.

I general don't agree with you but having been in one of the Burmese refugee camps in Mai Sot I totally agree with you.

I did a workshop there and it was a real heart warming experience when they gave me a guide and he spoke pretty good English. He showed me around a little bit of it the poverty was sad to see. How ever having been in Burma it was nice to see the people looking happy. When I was in Burma they were all depressed. This was a few years ago.

I heard a lot of talking in what I took to be a house and asked my guide about it. He told me it was a school. He talked about learning every thing he could and hopefully getting relocated to the states.

The living conditions there are not pretty. The worst part was the government had stopped supplying them with 80% of their daily nutritional needs and cut it to 50%.

If it wasn't for the various NGO's they would be in real sad shape.

• Like 2

I am sure there must be many members on TV who give generously to many good causes and work tirelessly volunteering for their favourite charities, but they never get the same acknowledgement or publicity as some Hollywood actor who just pops in for a minute or two.

A wind-up post at best.

Don't feed the trolls.

• Like 1

Volunteer? In Thailand? Have you tried it? It's risky business. I nearly was arrested during the last flood in BKK for volunteering.

You need more than good will and intentions. You need a work permit.

Almost impossible to get if an NGO is not backing you and talks to the right people in government who understand the NGO's "needs": wink-wink-nudge-nudge..

• Like 1