Airport Taxes To Rises To 700 Baht From 2006

george

Airport taxes to rises to bt. 700 from 2006

BANGKOK: -- The Airports of Thailand Public Company Limited will increase the airport tax for international flights from 500 to 700 baht, from the end of 2005.

The Vice President and Acting President of the Airports of Thailand Public Company Limited, Flight Lieutenant Pradit Mongkolapibal, said that the Civil Aviation Commission has agreed that the Airports of Thailand should increase the tax for each airline by 20 percent, and the airport tax for international flights from 500 baht to 700 baht.

The new taxes will be effective from the end of 2005. The company believes that the new prices will not affect the passengers, because Thai airport tax is a lot cheaper than the airport taxes of Hong Kong and Japan.

Mr. Pradit added that presently 60 percent of the company's income is from the operation of flights; while 40 percent is from commercial activities such as land leases. After the opening of Suvarnabhumi Airport in 2005, the company will earn twice as much, because the new airport has more available space than the Bangkok International Airport.

--fnWEB 2004-03-08

Air Asia just announced airtickets to Khon Kaen for 99 Baht and Singapore for 499!!! The tax is more expensive than the airline ticket.

What do we get for the 700 Baht anyway? I never saw any service from these people and the queue at exit immigration is still really long.

ASIC

Air Asia just announced airtickets to Khon Kaen for 99 Baht and Singapore for 499!!! The tax is more expensive than the airline ticket.
When departing the airport on an international flight there is a 500 baht per person airport departure tax (known as the 'Passenger Service Charge') that must be paid (in Thai baht only) before leaving. This is never included in the price of a ticket out of Bangkok and is paid at ticket machines before Thai immigration stamps you out - if you can't pay, then they don't permit you to fly out. The departure tax for domestic flights is 60B, collected at check in.
the departure tax is 500 for international flights, singapore...for CM and KK it is 60 baht.
What do we get for the 700 Baht anyway?
a new airport is under construction to the east of Bangkok in Samut Prakan province. Known as Nong Ngu Hao

Bangkok airport, Don Muang

QUOTE (ASIC @ Wed 2004-03-10, 12:13:48)

a new airport is under construction to the east of Bangkok in Samut Prakan province. Known as Nong Ngu Hao

And its nice and new and expensive for the Toxins and family New Airline. :o

In Indonesia we pay IDR 100.000 = USD 11,60 = THB 460

PLUS every time for every body each (children included) IDR 1.000.000

multiply above figures by 10! per person.

You see it can be worse :o

QUOTE (ASIC @ Wed 2004-03-10, 12:13:48)

And its nice and new and expensive for the Toxins and family New Airline. :o

Dr Toxin has just had a pay increase of 1,920 baht per month. He can pay his own way now. :D

BANGKOK: -- The Airports of Thailand Public Company Limited will increase the airport tax for international flights from 500 to 700 baht, from the end of 2005.

This was to be expected. Gotta pay for that new airport somehow...

i view of more intensive air ticket competition

this raising to 700 make it more than the airasia's tickets for some places

very soon

for those who see the 700 costing more than the tickets

the tourist will stop coming....

mark thy words

surely the farang will spend more if

entry and exit is cheaper

and will come more often...

:o

mark thy words

Yes and no. Many countries "bury" these taxes in the total cost of an air ticket and collect the money owed directly from the airline. If Thailand were to switch to such a system, the average punter would be blissfully unaware of what they are shelling out for departure tax.

Very true Ovenman.

UK departure tax for example is around 1800B, but is in the price of the ticket. US departure tax is in the ticket, but I've never known how much it is. 700B is one of the cheaper ones I've known.

The airlines and the Thai Government had some sort of dispute when the tax was introduced and as a result they will not collect it for them, hence the collection at the airport.

Yes and no. Many countries "bury" these taxes in the total cost of an air ticket and collect the money owed directly from the airline. If Thailand were to switch to such a system, the average punter would be blissfully unaware of what they are shelling out for departure tax.

IMHO a much better option. It seems fairly anitquated to still have to pay the tax as you depart, too visible.

What you don't know won't hurt you.

IMHO a much better option. It seems fairly anitquated to still have to pay the tax as you depart, too visible.

If you have ben around Thailand for a while, you'll recall that once upon a time the departure tax (both domestic and international) was paid to the agent when checking in for one's flight. The tax collection system for both was the switched to the current one being used for international departures, i.e. buy a coupon and have it punched at the door.

A big uproar ensued becaused as it turned out, the ower of the company operating this new tax collection system was the relative of some govenrment pooyai (surprise, surprise!). After some controversy, a compromise was struck to keep the new collection system for international flights and include the departure tax in the cost of a domestic ticket.

What do you expect from a government who operates a tollbooth economy?

Personally I'd pay 500 on arrival if it meant I didn't have to put up with that screeming mob of beggars (Limo/taxi/etc) in the arrival terminal. :o

cv

• 2 weeks later...
Very true Ovenman.

UK departure tax for example is around 1800B, but is in the price of the ticket. US departure tax is in the ticket, but I've never known how much it is. 700B is one of the cheaper ones I've known.

The airlines and the Thai Government had some sort of dispute when the tax was introduced and as a result they will not collect it for them, hence the collection at the airport.

A few years ago the airlines collected the departure tax on checkin

i view of more intensive air ticket competition

this raising to 700 make it more than the airasia's tickets for some places

very soon

for those who see the 700 costing more than the tickets

the tourist will stop coming....

mark thy words

So you reckon that people will stay away from Thailand cos the Airport tax is 700 baht...........lol, get outta here

• 4 weeks later...
Fest an eye on this little price raise....<deleted>, the car service from most 5Star Hotels is now cheaper than the Thai Limo into town and wow...for the cost of a trip to P-town you could buy the whole taxi......

700 and no Boom Boom.....

http://www.thaiair.com/thailand/limousine/fares.htm

I nearly got caught by the Thai Limousine scam.

I got a Limo from Pattaya on the 19th March - B1650 which includes all the tolls

I came back on the 3rd April and they wanted B5000 to take me home.

I told them they were crazy, "Bah bah ba bor"

The other taxi people, who have the Hanuman Head on the cars, were still around

and they drove me home for B1650 - tolls included.

Thai Limousines have their heads up there <deleted>, if they think ordinary travellers will pay those sort of prices.

I must remember to amend the web site and warn visitors.

I nearly got caught by the Thai Limousine scam.

A bit on the steep side. I remembered having read about these increases previously in Thai Visa. So 16/4 first asked for the price at the counter in terminal 2,

Airport to Sukhumvit Baht 650 plus toll fees 70. Merc. limo

Friday night, end of Songkran, 50 people waiting in the taxi cue, iit was worthwhile.

The female driver had a bit of problems to handle the trolley with 80 kgs of luggage (no complain from my wife, that I helped!) but than did up to 160 km/h and we have been home within 15 minutes.

So one thing, ASK for the price, different companies, diff. rates.

Remark for Dr.: It was 4.5 L B/L (not 5 and no BJ) a bit of a monster bottle. :o

The Vice President and Acting President of the Airports of Thailand Public Company Limited, Flight Lieutenant Pradit Mongkolapibal

Is it a public company or the airforce? I wonder whose son he is?

corruption and nepotism.... I wonder if the price to get the mercedes serviced just went up?

the departure price is not too bad compared to other countries... but many of them have much better airport facilities.

many have taxi surcharges way beyond what is paid at don muang.

Let me give you a Thai reply: 'There is no airport tax in Thailand, it's called Passenger Service Charge'.

Hairsplitting? No, I was previously advised, when doing my business trip accounting to use the right word, otherwise the tax-office might refuse the cost. :o

Airport tax at Hong Kong is 198 HKD about 1,000 baht. BKk has always been one of the cheapest in the world, but because it is not hidden in your ticket price and you pay cash on departure people and constantly moan about Thai scams.

TH

I agree - it'd be the source of less complaints, and it can be an inconvenience to the business traveler as many of them who are here for short stays don't change any money into Baht- so they get caught out when trying to leave.

Sure, they can change some money into baht at a local counter but it's really an unnecessary inconvenience.

Course... I'm sure there must be *some* advantages to having all that cash floating around. :o:D

Fully agree, incorporate the tax into the ticket price. HKG/SIN did it over the last few years.

In BKK you go to a machine, only to realize it will not accept your 1000 or 500 - Baht note, so you move to the sales-booth, get your ticket, move to the entrance where at least two staff members standig to punch it.

Occassional visitors do not want to keep their Baht for the next trip but worry for the last few days, not to spend these Baht 500 they need. They also keep a few Baht for the taxi fare and arrive with Baht 400 left, not enough to pay the tax, so must change again.

The airport authorities should sit down with the carriers and come to a deal that the airline pays per pax and takes this money from the fare received through the tkt.