Buying A Laptop

tung tsz

You could get a reasonable laptop for under 30,000 baht, since your specification and requirement is not high. Services and back up are more important since you are staying in a small town. Chiang Rai town has numbers of IT shop just shop around.

Edited by Thaising

Can anyone advise on price range for a basic laptop

for word processing and accessing internet in Chiang Rai,

nothing fancy as users computer skills are limited,

something suitable for a student?

Hi Tung,

If you want to connect your laptop directly to a satellite you need a very sophisticated device that's still rather expensive. Otherwise your freedom of movement is anyhow limited to the immediate nearness of a fixed telephone line. This will give you very little space to move around with your laptop (it will actually depend on the lenght of your telephone wire :D ).

Consider a desktop! Much more for less!

The last five years I moved my laptop only twice (aside from the times when I was cleaning my desk, but distances of less than 50 cm I don't count). It didn't touch my lap yet.

Thaising is absolutely right. Service is important. For me it was the reason to stay with Compaq/HP, but others might have similar good experiences with the service of other brands.

Good luck!

Limbo :o

I have to agree with Limbo about the desktop.

You get a lot more for a lot less cash but it depends if your going to hang around Chiang Rai for a while. You should get a good basic one for around 20,000 baht.

Would recommend the better known Compaq, Hp or Sony,etc and avoid the lesser known cheaper brands.

or find laptop with no OS included...its can save u alot of money... about the OS thing i can do for free for u.. hehehe by the way..OS is Operating system as u know Window Me ,Window XP, etc...

Tut tut :o You wouldn't be suggesting anything illegal would you.

I bought my computer from a very reputable firm, here in Chiang Rai and now I keep getting messages that my Windows system is illegal. It's a small blue star in the bottom right hand corner of the screen.

Anybody, any ideas to get rid of it?

Edited by tayto

turn off ur automatic updates.... right click at My computer icon then go to properties and choose automatic updates tab...see below its say " turn off Automatic updates.. check at it. and click ok thats all

Thanks for that bit of info. :o

If you really really only want to word process and access the internet with a dial-up modem then you could buy the cheapest laptop you can find since these two types of use do not require the power provided by the most up to date models. Any new computer will efficiently perform these functions and even any computer that was new within the last 4 years will do them just as well. I would advise you to check out how long the computer will run on its batteries (if you think you will be running on batteries), how bulky or heavy it is, how big is the screen, and how ruggedly is it constructed. I guess what I'm saying is don't worry about power...look for convenience and durability.

Buy yourself a laptop/notebook PC that has a decent CPU (> 1.4 GHz), at least 512MB of RAM, and a good graphics chip set (i.e. ATI). I would also consider getting one with the Wi-Fi chipset in case you are ever in a place that offers wireless internet access.

Phone cables can be bought that are 100 feet long, should you decide to use the PC's modem.

I just recently purchased a Dell Inspiron E1505 (for US$856) that I am running WinXP MCE on. I had plan to run Linux, but that idea went bust (pain in the arse to get Linux drivers installed). Instead, I slapped Linux onto my 2-year old notebook (a Compaq Presario X1030). It works like a charm.

WinXP Home Edition (or Media Center Edition) costs about US$90. Linux is free. Choose whichever suits you best.

Good luck.

Buy yourself a laptop/notebook PC that has a decent CPU (> 1.4 GHz), at least 512MB of RAM, and a good graphics chip set (i.e. ATI). I would also consider getting one with the Wi-Fi chipset in case you are ever in a place that offers wireless internet access.

Phone cables can be bought that are 100 feet long, should you decide to use the PC's modem.

I just recently purchased a Dell Inspiron E1505 (for US$856) that I am running WinXP MCE on. I had plan to run Linux, but that idea went bust (pain in the arse to get Linux drivers installed). Instead, I slapped Linux onto my 2-year old notebook (a Compaq Presario X1030). It works like a charm.

WinXP Home Edition (or Media Center Edition) costs about US$90. Linux is free. Choose whichever suits you best.

Good luck.

Gumball,

Do you think he needs a cpu that is >1.4GHz if he only wants to word process and dialup the internet? I presently have a 2.4GHz cpu and it isn't any faster or better at doing these things than my 0.3GHz (300MHz) Pentium II that I used before.

I would suggest getting a "name" laptop which carries a bankable warranty rather than a "no-name" one. Our no-name desktop has been nothing but trouble. Munich can now supply Acer machines - their catalogue lists a TravelMate 2424NWXMi with Celeron 1.6mhz for 28.900 bt. See www.acer.co.th.

As for internet connectivity, I am told that you can connect at acceptable speed (probably not 3G yet here in the north) via a GSM modem card (usually plugs into your PCMCIA slot) and an infra-red-capable mobile. I was told you can get a month unlimited use for about 900 baht with AIS.

Best shop for these gizmos is Technocom (just behind Overbrokk Hosital).

I only know of one place that can fix your laptop if it breaks down. Though I dont like the shop myself I am still recommending it for purchasing a laptop.

You will find technocom on the street behind overbrook hospital. Visit their shop and have a look around. If you are not committed to CR you might take a look at pantip in Chiang Mai. Cant remember the price but should be like 20,000 baht.