Demolition orders issued to 78 more Phuket beach encroachers

webfact

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The sheer number of illegal businesses is amazing. 78 illegal businesses on the beach! That is only the latest crop of illegal operations.

I very much hope that the authorities move quickly on to serve demolition orders on the illegal businesses on Nai Yang Beach. The building of new, permanent (concrete) buildings continues unabated....

• Like 1

"Among places that must be partially or completely demolished are Lotus Restaurant and Babylon Beach Club, along with many wooden-pile restaurants at the water’s edge."

I would be interested which places are to be only "partially" demolished, and why.

• Like 1

Why 30 days notice? Previously, on Surin beach, they were given seven days.

As for the business owner whining about how to feed his family, get a job! Unemployment for the whole of Thailand is only 0.6%.

I think less since all the Cambodians fled. I can't even get a gardener up here.

• Like 1

The sheer number of illegal businesses is amazing. 78 illegal businesses on the beach! That is only the latest crop of illegal operations.

I very much hope that the authorities move quickly on to serve demolition orders on the illegal businesses on Nai Yang Beach. The building of new, permanent (concrete) buildings continues unabated....

In Goa (india) they were smart about this, small bar/restaurants on the beach constructed with bamboo and bamboo mats, no umbrella's but rather canape's made from bamboo.

Cold drinks good food, no crowd, very nice. No concrete building on the beach and if the owners have to move out, low season or crackdown there is hardly any loss.

This was about 15 years ago and maybe it changed, but that's not the point.

The point is that concrete should be avoided, wood, bamboo and other natural materials give the real laid back, relaxing feeling at the beach.

Goa is (or at least was 15 years ago) a hippy destination, Phuket is not.

Edited by stevenl

I'll believe it when all the beach chairs and umbrellas are gone at Nai Harn! thumbsup.gif

Yeah, What's happening there beach chairs, ugly massage shacks and that awful restaurant on the southern end. Not to mention the taxi guys still lurking, I think they look worse just hanging around than when they had their salas.

• Like 2

Why 30 days notice? Previously, on Surin beach, they were given seven days.

As for the business owner whining about how to feed his family, get a job! Unemployment for the whole of Thailand is only 0.6%.

U mean I should go to work myself????

Why should any business person think they have a right to free public land when other business owners have to pay for the land they do business on? To bad ... so sad you are stressed.

• Like 1

There are many concrete structures on Nai Yang beach, now extended almost to the high water mark.

Don't anyone think that these business owners haven't got a baht to feed their families. I know one bar owner at NY beach, started with one bar, now 3 on the beach and a massage shop. Like all the other owners, she 'hides' her new Fortuna around the back when it's time to open for daily business. She has never paid a baht in tax or rent for her illegal businesses.

It feels like they are bullying working people. I’m stressed. I have a family to take care of, a car and a house that I must make payments on, and other expenses

...I also have an I-Pad and a Rolex and a moped and a dog and a sunburn I have to take care of!

a general question:

let's say you encroach on public land in Thailand and build a business...

you still need to get electricity, water etc. from the relevant government authorities...

In a country where you have to provide documentation in triplicate for a permit to fart in public, how did they get their business up and running? Ok, well I know...it's a rhetorical question...I mean to say, maybe there should also be an investigation of government authorities supporting these encroachments...

There is.

a general question:

let's say you encroach on public land in Thailand and build a business...

you still need to get electricity, water etc. from the relevant government authorities...

In a country where you have to provide documentation in triplicate for a permit to fart in public, how did they get their business up and running? Ok, well I know...it's a rhetorical question...I mean to say, maybe there should also be an investigation of government authorities supporting these encroachments...

Not everyone has a meter. Some steal direct from the government grid by connecting directly to it (without a meter), others simply connect to their friend's or family's meter. I guess the latter is fine, except that it makes it quite easy to get power to businesses on the beach, provided you know the person on the other side of the beach road, and can connect to his business.

Edited by monkeycountry