Phuket girl, 12, kills self with silver polish

webfact

Phuket girl, 12, kills self with silver polish
Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- A 12-year-old girl died last night (June 23) after drinking jewellery polish in despair after her mother shouted at her.

Kusoldharm staff, who were called to the scene, reported to Kathu police that the child’s mother told them she had scolded the girl for giving the wrong change to a customer at her food shop in Soi Sea Dragon in Patong.

The Kusondharm staff rushed the girl to Patong Hospital. However, despite the best efforts of the medical staff there, she could not be revived.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-girl-12-kills-self-with-silver-polish-47027.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-06-24

A dreadfully sad piece of news, my heart goes out to the parents, family and friends of the girl. As parents we really have to know when enough is enough and tell the child that mistakes are part of living and learning. I always made sure that my kids understand that even if they did fail to do exactly what I wanted and made mistakes, I still love them more than anything else in the world - but I remember when, as a child, I made a mistake, sometimes it truly seemed like the end of the world... but it wasn't.

Condolences to the family and friends.

• Like 2

So sad to hear about this! The parent/parents should be smarter with were they store dangerous chemicals around their house. RIP!

Silver Polish !!!!! Who would consider this a dangerous chemical. RIP to this young child. A tragedy.

I would counsider this a dangerous chemical. If you do not, why don't you drink some and while you are doing that chase it down with some bleach!! You are a full grown man and you do not see the perils of some of the house hold supplies you have in your house?? I lock all main away and make sure that my step-son can not get his hands on them. Rip to the young girl thats all I want to say!!

It may be the culmination of many "scoldings" from her mother. Doesn't anybody in this country know that constructive criticism & praise work much better than verbal abuse.

Obviously not, just think about the beating of kids in school...

• Like 1

I find that violence is not required when talking to children. Just sitting down and explaining to them, I am sure they will understand. Violence is only to show abuse of power and authority. You get angry only when you want to change something other than yourself and it can't be done.

• Like 1

Does anyone else wonder why a 12 year old was working on Sea Dragon? I don't remember there being "food shops" there.....only go-gos. Nonetheless, very sad indeed.

No, it's only you and your twisted mind.

It may be the culmination of many "scoldings" from her mother. Doesn't anybody in this country know that constructive criticism & praise work much better than verbal abuse.

"It may be the culmination of many "scoldings" from her mother."

On the other hand it may not be, why make this scurrilous suggestion about the mother?

This is only the tip of the iceburg, I'm sure the mother has been shouting at and hitting her daughter for many years, just shouting at her once wouldn't cause a young person to go to such tragic measures.

• Like 1

"It may be the culmination of many "scoldings" from her mother."

On the other hand it may not be, why make this scurrilous suggestion about the mother?

Well, put it this way, she certainly isn't going to get the "Mother of the Year" award, is she?

Putting her 12 year old daughter to work, at night, and at the point of sale for food, in the middle of Phuket's red light area, and then punishing her, either verbally, or physically, for losing a few baht, in an honest mistake, hardly puts her in a good light, does it?

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 2

Something that made me raise my eyebrows: how on earth does a 12 year old Thai girl know that silver polish is a poisonous chemical?

I had an idea about it, as most cleaners are harmful, but I had to check it, metal cleaners contain ammonium, kaolin and white spirit, hence the harmfulness. Now if a 12 year old girl, not a baby, dies from swallowing silver polish, why do pots of Brasso (I got one at home) DO NOT contain an orange hazard sign? Silver polish and all metal polishes are harmful already through inhalation, not to mention ingesting. Shame to f.i. US company Reckitt Benckiser, the manufacturer of Brasso, who does not bother to put a hazard sign on the packaging, at least in Thailand!

Too sad for the girl, verbal scolding, which often contains of denigration and deep insults, can upset teenagers very much. Still I am thrown away that a teenager knows the fatal result of swallowing metal polish.

time to educate thai people , a life is valuable ,you only have 1 not as much as you want as tought by idiots.

When something goes wrong ,the thai react explosive ,they immediately want to blow up all bridges,leave their

husband and children ....kill themselves.This stupid reaction is shown in thai soaps everyday.

Thais don't expect someone to say or react on something they do wrong .

Even the smallest thing ,if you tell them they are wrong they or become silent for a week or run away (or kill themselves)

The can't handle shame ,and will never admit to be wrong .

So ,when you have enough of your gf,tell here she is a lousy dishwasher ,.............coffee1.gif

• Like 1