What would be the perfect teaching job upcountry?

Hi,

What would be the perfect teaching job for you upcountry?

Would this be it?

Close enough to BKK to go whenever you want but far enough away to have the reduced cost of living? transport (often free) into BKK available from campus.

Shared accommodation w/ one other teacher in a decent 2BR large townhouse for free (including wifi) pay only electricity (at govt rate)

12 month contract with a month off during the year (3 weeks during the long break and one week during the short one)

Extra time off from teaching each semester.

18 contact hours w/ students a week but only 1 lesson plan.

4 day work week with students.

Small classes (under 20 students) which have AC and Internet etc.

Prestigious school. (Thai-public-.5% acceptance rate) That means better than average students. Students are disciplined and polite. Classroom control is not a problem.

Thai faculty actually appreciate you. Between semesters when you are not on vacation there are extra duties (helping build English skills in faculty etc)

Free standard Dr. visits from day 1. (Maintenance meds etc are not free from the on-site facility but will be free from Social Security office hospital nearby after social security kicks in)

Swimming pool etc on campus.

Pay range 30k/mo to 35k/mo.......

Is that a decent job?

I'd want more holidays than that.

I currently have just shy of 3 months paid holidays a year.

Whatever does it for you I guess is the correct way to look at it wai2.gif

Edited by jambco984

I'd want more holidays than that.

I currently have just shy of 3 months paid holidays a year.

Whatever does it for you I guess is the correct way to look at it wai2.gif

The 4 day work week and being able to work from anywhere during breaks makes the difference I think :)

Simon, I don't doubt that you are paying to work :)

15-20k more a month

Private townhouse without other teachers

Not having to teach Thai teachers anything or any extra duties

This sounds more ideal. Still not perfect. Perfect would be at least 70k per month (I know..a fantasy, right?) haha

"A gym teacher at a girl's finishing school....?"

n fact, this is the job that I have now.

The monthly pay is just 20,000 baht because that's all I can afford to pay cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif"

We don't need pervert responses in a teacher's forum. Please leave your pedo inclinations in the general section not the teachers section.

15-20k more a month

This sounds more ideal. Still not perfect. Perfect would be at least 70k per month (I know..a fantasy, right?) haha

No, not at all. I have two young friends who teach at Thai universities--one makes B120k/mo, the other B150k/mo. They do have medical, private housing and utilities provided--including internet and cable. They enjoy three months a year vacations, fully equipped private offices, and research stipends. And, this is the first teaching job for each and neither has a TEFL certificate. Of course, they are PhDs, one in IB, the other IT.

You need education and/or experience in disciplines where such qualifications are scarce to land a good job.The ability to speak English, a skill almost a billion people possess, is hardly worthy of a good job.

15-20k more a month

No, not at all. I have two young friends who teach at Thai universities--one makes B120k/mo, the other B150k/mo. They do have medical, private housing and utilities provided--including internet and cable. They enjoy three months a year vacations, fully equipped private offices, and research stipends. And, this is the first teaching job for each and neither has a TEFL certificate. Of course, they are PhDs, one in IB, the other IT.

You need education and/or experience in disciplines where such qualifications are scarce to land a good job.The ability to speak English, a skill almost a billion people possess, is hardly worthy of a good job.

"The ability to speak English, a skill almost a billion people possess, is hardly worthy of a good job."

"Skill" implies expertise, something that is in short supply among those claiming to be English speakers and something that is even rarer among those who want to share their knowledge with defenseless students.

I do agree that even qualified teachers of English are not going to draw the same level of compensation that well-qualified & experienced teachers of maths or any of the sciences would merit.

Edited by Suradit69

"A gym teacher at a girl's finishing school....?"

n fact, this is the job that I have now.

The monthly pay is just 20,000 baht because that's all I can afford to pay cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif"

We don't need pervert responses in a teacher's forum. Please leave your pedo inclinations in the general section not the teachers section.

I take it you don't know what a finishing school is then. facepalm.gif

• Like 1

JD! Not seen you online in ages.

Yes, nice job. pm me if there is an opening.coffee1.gif

Hey,

I have simply been avoiding TVF. Too much whining and baiting on here for me.

There may be some PT slots at the end of Sept. There will be 2 more FT positions for the next academic year.

15-20k more a month

"The ability to speak English, a skill almost a billion people possess, is hardly worthy of a good job."

"Skill" implies expertise, something that is in short supply among those claiming to be English speakers and something that is even rarer among those who want to share their knowledge with defenseless students.

I do agree that even qualified teachers of English are not going to draw the same level of compensation that well-qualified & experienced teachers of maths or any of the sciences would merit.

What is your definition of "qualified?"

In Canada or U.S. someone with a university degree plus TEFL is qualified to teach English as a 2nd Language to immigrants at schools, community centres, and private Language Institutes

Why should Thai high schools be different. If you mean qualified as an education degree in English, those people are great at teaching literature and grammer as written on a chalkboard, not so great at teaching "listening and speaking" English. The other disciplines you mentioned are a different can of worms.

I dislike native English speakers with degrees and TEFL's being called "unqualified" on TV.

• Like 1

15-20k more a month

Not a Fantasy BIS Phuket and more. Not less then 100K, but your expenses you have to pay yourself.

15-20k more a month

Over 30 ago in germany in some office job you got somethings in top of your salary with good english skills.

Today is often demanded good english skills without extra payment.

15-20k more a month

What is your definition of "qualified?"

In Canada or U.S. someone with a university degree plus TEFL is qualified to teach English as a 2nd Language to immigrants at schools, community centres, and private Language Institutes

Why should Thai high schools be different. If you mean qualified as an education degree in English, those people are great at teaching literature and grammer as written on a chalkboard, not so great at teaching "listening and speaking" English. The other disciplines you mentioned are a different can of worms.

I dislike native English speakers with degrees and TEFL's being called "unqualified" on TV.

I agree with you in general, about Certfiicates, this says nothings of his real qualification, only that the person passed these exermination.

I don't talk explicit only about Teachers in any other profession also.

I met a lot of ppl in my life also in any profession, with great education on papers, but there are a lot of fools between, who after 20 or more years experience still did'nt had any idea what they do.

On the other hand I met a lot of talents with much less paperwork, but from the first day much better as other after 20 years experience.

My experience in Life is ppl who talking to much about their education are suspect for me to be 1 of these fools, caused ppl who are good in their jobs talking seldom about their education they show it.

A good old german bookholder phrase I learnt during education.

"I believe only in statictics I faked myself" and the same is with any other paperwork.

Simple said: I would never hire anybody without a proper job interview to avoid to catch 1 of these fools.

Carpe Diem