No-passport Syrian arrested in Phuket Town

webfact

No-passport Syrian arrested in Phuket Town
Eakkapop Thongtub

1403610209_1-org.jpg
Amar Sended, seated, with the officers who arrested him.

PHUKET: -- A 26-year-old Syrian man was arrested yesterday afternoon (June 23) on Mae Luan Rd in Phuket Town when it was found he had no passport.

Immigration officers were checking parts of the town when they spotted a man “looking suspicious”. They asked him for his passport. When he could not produce it, they took him to the Immigration Police office for questioning.

The man told them his name was Amar Sended and admitted he had no passport. He was charged with entering and staying in the country illegally. He admitted both charges.

Officers are pursuing a theory that Sended is wanted in his own country and came to Thailand to meet up with other members of a Syrian criminal gang. Meanwhile, he is being held in custody.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/no-passport-syrian-arrested-in-phuket-town-47032.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-06-25

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shame on you for your idle bar lizard guessing games; the man is apparently Syrian so you could as well speculate that his wife and children were killed there, and that he fled that appalling conflict.

You have no idea, and neither do I.

• Like 1

As usual we are only getting half the story.

I'd like to know what made the immigration police suspicious of him, you can't seriously think that it's his haircut.

Also, if he admits not having a passport he must have a story about what happened to it. He's unlikey to have travelled far without one.

Why do the police assume he's a criminal or connected with criminals, not having a passport is an offence but it does not make someone a criminal.

Assuming nothing - Why did he come to Thailand if he is a refugee? If he is a refugee why didn't he apply for refugee status? Why did he choose to be smuggled over the border? How did he get here ... by a refugee boat? Gotta have a passport to get on an airplane.

Very suspicious.

• Like 1

'Wanted in Syria' ... 'came to Thailand to meet up with a criminal gang'?

I think there's enough going on in Syria at the moment that they're not so interested chasing down 'ordinary criminals' that have gone to other countries to carry out their business...

Assuming nothing - Why did he come to Thailand if he is a refugee? If he is a refugee why didn't he apply for refugee status? Why did he choose to be smuggled over the border? How did he get here ... by a refugee boat? Gotta have a passport to get on an airplane.

Very suspicious.

He probably does have a passport, but is just saying he hasn't got one.

He's also probably been working here illegally for a family member, to avoid the conflict in Syria, if in fact he is Syrian.

His deportation might be interesting. I suppose he could claim refugee status, and I'm sure there must be some Human Rights Laws against deporting someone to a war zone, especially if they will be executed upon their return.

I love these family photos. It look like a big dude who could kick the crap out of those others in the picture.

Were he still with us, Bruce Lee would probably disagree.

Also Sam Irwin, NRL half back for the Gold Coast Titans. All 5'7" of him.

The larger they are, the harder they fall.

Anyway, I think Amar's haircut is revealing, and not just his skull.

With the civil war happening in Syria, where would they send him? Prison in Thailand would be the only option. How do these folks get into the country without a passport? He must have come by canoe onto a beach or crossed through the mountains. But even then, luckily to have crossed through all those nations without one. Did he lose it?

Shame on you for your idle bar lizard guessing games; the man is apparently Syrian so you could as well speculate that his wife and children were killed there, and that he fled that appalling conflict.

You have no idea, and neither do I.

Yes, sure, Phuket is the first place refugees from that appalling conflict think of heading to.

As usual we are only getting half the story.

I'd like to know what made the immigration police suspicious of him, you can't seriously think that it's his haircut.

Also, if he admits not having a passport he must have a story about what happened to it. He's unlikey to have travelled far without one.

Why do the police assume he's a criminal or connected with criminals, not having a passport is an offence but it does not make someone a criminal.

"I'd like to know what made the immigration police suspicious of him," That's one ability police are trained to have

"Why do the police assume he's a criminal or connected with criminals..." Good intuition? Perhaps his passport story wasn't believable.

"not having a passport is an offence but it does not make someone a criminal." Committing a crime (not having a passport is one) does make him a criminal.

And seriously, that haircut combined with the goatee, and his attitude, tops all the above.

With the civil war happening in Syria, where would they send him? Prison in Thailand would be the only option. How do these folks get into the country without a passport? He must have come by canoe onto a beach or crossed through the mountains. But even then, luckily to have crossed through all those nations without one. Did he lose it?

"With the civil war happening in Syria, where would they send him?"

Syria.