New Catholic church set to open in Phuket

webfact

New Catholic church set to open in Phuket
The Phuket News

1403668534_1-org.jpg
CG image of the interior of the new church.

PHUKET: -- The opening of a new church, especially in a non-Christian country, is a rare event these days but on July 6, the new St Joseph’s Catholic Church will open on Pasak Soi 8 in Cherng Talay.

The mass to consecrate the church will be led by Bishop Joseph Prathan Sridarunsil SDB, Bishop of Surat Thani Diocese, which includes Phuket. The diocese paid for the land and has been a strong supporter of the project.

But all other funds for the construction and fitting-out of the church have been raised from within the local congregation who, for the past 19 years, have held Sunday services at various hotels in the Laguna complex, thanks to the kindness of various general managers there, starting in 1995 with James Batt.

Over the past six or seven years that congregation has grown, partly due to the residential development of that area of the island and partly due to the friendliness of the parishioners towards tourists and locals alike.

“The need for a permanent home was becoming clear,” says Cherng Talay resident Michael Hosking, one of the driving forces behind the new church.

“We petitioned Bishop Joseph to grant us official parish status during a Christmas lunch in 2010 and this was achieved before our beloved priest, Father Richard Woodarek, sadly passed away.

“We took delivery of the land from the diocese in 2011 and fund-raising for the new church began in earnest then. In just three years we are on the verge of opening; it’s almost miraculous’’.

Many of the congregation are long term Asian expats or Asian Catholics from Hong Kong, Singapore and China, and it’s from their contacts and resources that the parish has been able to achieve so much.

“We’ve had world class architects and designers support the project and some very generous financial contributions from Thailand and overseas too, without which this project would have remained a dream,” Mr Hosking said.

Everyone – not just Catholics – is welcome to attend the consecration service on July 6, starting at 9am.

St Joseph’s is on Pasak Soi 8, just off the Bandon-Cherngtalay Rd. Heading into Cherng Talay from the Heroines Monument, turn right at Lemon Grass and Farang restaurant.

- Trevor Fisher

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/new-catholic-church-set-to-open-in-phuket-47035.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-06-25

Why didn't the just ask the pope for a few shackles, the Vatican is loaded with cash.

Have you ever heard of an religion which says: "No thanks, we have all the money we need. Now it's time for us to give it back to the people".

Why didn't the just ask the pope for a few shackles, the Vatican is loaded with cash.

Have you ever heard of an religion which says: "No thanks, we have all the money we need. Now it's time for us to give it back to the people".

Yes, I have heard and seen first hand a lot of money, time and sacrificed lives given to the people.

Despite the unfortunate behavior of a comparatively few religious, there are still thousands of Catholics and others who give their entire lives to help the people. These people are the church, not the buildings or the other trappings.

mother_teresa_04.jpg

I personally know very well that in many places in Africa the only medical & educational facilities, the only leprosariums and orphanages are run by Catholic (or other denomination) religious and lay workers.

Fr_RayDonation2012_th.jpg

And I would hazard a guess that any one of those workers has done far more for "the people" than the sad assortment of characters making all the disparaging comments in this thread.

sign.jpg

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

Visit one time a church here . The music was so loud that pain in the ear, people ask me you like, I tell ok but nothing to do with romantic and only fake playback songs

What type of romance can you get in church,surly not the love of god,

• Like 1

THE OUR FATHER

Our Father, Who art in Heaven, hallowed be Thy name; Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done on earth as it is in Heaven. Give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen.

if it wasn't so serous - i'd laugh

did u really post a photo relating to Missionaries of Charity and Anjezë Gonxhe Bojaxhiu - please tell me you didn't

how can someone be so ignorant of reality and the facts

​photos of children - sure lets get them before they develop an ability to reason and logic

Yes, I have heard and seen first hand a lot of money, time and sacrificed lives given to the people.

Despite the unfortunate behavior of a comparatively few religious, there are still thousands of Catholics and others who give their entire lives to help the people. These people are the church, not the buildings or the other trappings.

mother_teresa_04.jpg

I personally know very well that in many places in Africa the only medical & educational facilities, the only leprosariums and orphanages are run by Catholic (or other denomination) religious and lay workers.

Fr_RayDonation2012_th.jpg

And I would hazard a guess that any one of those workers has done far more for "the people" than the sad assortment of characters making all the disparaging comments in this thread.

sign.jpg

• Like 1

I visit many Easter celebrations every where in the world from Lourdes on France to Mexico City, feeling the power of believing in the air!

Instronental music of orchestras on our maintain church in my childhood it was amazing

Because I visit to many country's proberbly I got more sensitive ,and compare everything with everything , when you don't know the diffrence then is normal!

For me the style of Thai Carolic church looks trashy and not unique , also the load speakers using remembers and looks for me like a show master presentation , of the American god channel, the aggressive and loud tone , Is a kind of brain washing idiology that I don't like!

There is no space for silents between , all the bible talk

And when there is no silence a cannot connect and talk with god,

Connection lost !

It looks for me the priest or what ever is on I time pressure !