General or Family Visa and Flight bookings UK/Bangkok

Hi all, comments please

We all know its highly recommended that a Thai lady has a return ticket and does not book a one way ticket. We also know that it is usually more expensive for a return flight Bangkok to London than London to Bangkok.

What if a lady is a once a year visitor to the UK, knows the dates in advance and is reasonably confident of getting a visa.

She books a one way to London and also then books a return ticket London to Bangkok.

She is then on a cycle of London to Bangkok return instead of Bangkok to London return, much cheaper.

Is this acceptable to UK Immigration or not?

It's not a requirement to have a return ticket, though visa holders may be asked for site of a return ticket by the Border Force Officer at the Port of Entry, my partner has been asked about 50% of the time when entering the UK. Of course holding a return ticket doesn't guarantee the passenger is going to leave the UK.

It is a requirement that you can demonstrate that you have the means to return, that could either be a return ticket or the funds to be able to purchase. The problem could be that if the Border Force Officer requested a return ticket and the passenger stated that they would buy one later, it might involve further more detailed questioning, though in the circumstances you describe it should be ok, especially if she is able to convince the officer of the reasoning.

However, I'm not sure that the savings are that great. For sure it's often cheaper for a return flight ticket originating in the UK, but not always. You will be aware that flights can usually be booked for 12 months hence, though less with some carriers, the cheapest flights wouldn't be available too far in advance and of course the dates would really need to be set in stone, with no flexibility, to make any savings viable.

I've looked at this option a number of times but on balance it didn't really prove to be cost effective for us, though others may have differing experiences.

• Like 1

@jimn, I dropped a note to a friend and former colleague of mine, who is currently a Border Officer at Heathrow, asking what are their current instructions with regard to passengers having a return ticket.

He has just responded and told me that he "always ask for one, your totally right mate ref questioning....it's now standard practice, passenger must prove that they intend to go home, I.e. Return ticket". The bit about the questioning was my belief that a person without a return ticket but stating that they intended to purchase a return ticket in the UK would be subject to more in depth questioning.

It's probably fair to add that possession of a return ticket doesn't mean that you're actually going to return. Likewise you could purchase a return ticket LHR-BKK-LHR before you left Thailand, though, as I indicated before, I'm not sure how cost effective that would be.

Hope that helps.

• Like 2

@jimn, I dropped a note to a friend and former colleague of mine, who is currently a Border Officer at Heathrow, asking what are their current instructions with regard to passengers having a return ticket.

He has just responded and told me that he "always ask for one, your totally right mate ref questioning....it's now standard practice, passenger must prove that they intend to go home, I.e. Return ticket". The bit about the questioning was my belief that a person without a return ticket but stating that they intended to purchase a return ticket in the UK would be subject to more in depth questioning.

It's probably fair to add that possession of a return ticket doesn't mean that you're actually going to return. Likewise you could purchase a return ticket LHR-BKK-LHR before you left Thailand, though, as I indicated before, I'm not sure how cost effective that would be.

Hope that helps.

Thanks TOG

The next time I go back through Heathrow with my wife I will certainly make sure we have her ticket to come back and with ref to your comments above I will ensure I carry other documents like proof of funds and where she will be staying etc, saves any hastle. With ref to the flight I think with some of the direct flight airlines BA, EVA and Thai its certainly cheaper with a return flight originating in the UK. Problem with this approach is if the plans change etc. It might be more hastle than its worth. Good to discuss it though thanks.