Would You See And Experience Something Similar In Your Country?

It's a school; not an adoption agency. Michael Jackson "loved kids," too. I've seen a guy with a 125,000 USD legal bill. He was known as "the human jungle gym," because he used to let students climb on him. You can care about the students and teach them a lot, without trying to be their Mexican grandmother.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/pb/local/fairfax-teacher-sean-lanigan-still-suffering-from-false-molestation-allegations/2011/03/04/AFVwhh3G_story.html

Edited by Thighlander
  • Like 1

It's a school; not an adoption agency. Michael Jackson "loved kids," too. I've seen a guy with a 125,000 USD legal bill. He was known as "the human jungle gym," because he used to let students climb on him. You can care about the students and teach them a lot, without trying to be their Mexican grandmother.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/pb/local/fairfax-teacher-sean-lanigan-still-suffering-from-false-molestation-allegations/2011/03/04/AFVwhh3G_story.html

Rather harsh, but an element of truth nonetheless.

When I first started teaching a long, long time ago, during indoctrination we were told/reminded that most of the students (somewhat older than in the first grade) did not need another friend, they needed someone who provided order, routine and helped them develop work habits that would enable them to benefit from the time they spent in school ... along with the knowledge that you were paid to help them gain while in your charge.

... they also need protection and safety.

To the extent that you are responsible for them during the school day, yes. But unless they come from exceptional circumstances, they are protected and kept safe by their families and you need to recognize that your role in their lives has definite limits. If any child appears to need additional protection, you should seek the assistance of someone qualified to deal with child welfare and be careful about interfering in things you may not fully understand.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

Hmmmm...where are the photos of the male students?? All the pics are of girls? Is it an all female school?

I'm not implying anything untoward - but if I noticed it maybe others will too.

Edited by Mudcrab

Rather harsh, but an element of truth nonetheless.

When I first started teaching a long, long time ago, during indoctrination we were told/reminded that most of the students (somewhat older than in the first grade) did not need another friend, they needed someone who provided order, routine and helped them develop work habits that would enable them to benefit from the time they spent in school ... along with the knowledge that you were paid to help them gain while in your charge.

... they also need protection and safety.

To the extent that you are responsible for them during the school day, yes. But unless they come from exceptional circumstances, they are protected and kept safe by their families and you need to recognize that your role in their lives has definite limits. If any child appears to need additional protection, you should seek the assistance of someone qualified to deal with child welfare and be careful about interfering in things you may not fully understand.

I'm with Suradit on this; while teaching in modern times is a greater challenge than ever, it can still be done with empathy, patience and understanding. But getting all squishy about it is exceeding your remit in my opinion, and could lead to unforeseen consequences.

• Like 1

My life is quite happy....but i was trying to find the point of your post. "Trying to understand" why you made the post

Sent from my GT-S7270 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Maybe because a foreigner living here for a long time had realized that it's not always the Thai system that's wrong. Please read my post again.

It's more and more obvious, why quite a lot of people, who were an asset to this forum do not post anymore here.

If you don't understand my point, start to develop your reading skills, please. I'm out of here.

Edited by sirchai

My life is quite happy....but i was trying to find the point of your post. "Trying to understand" why you made the post

Sent from my GT-S7270 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Maybe because a foreigner living here for a long time had realized that it's not always the Thai system that's wrong. Please read my post again.

It's more and more obvious, why quite a lot of people, who were an asset to this forum do not post anymore here.

If you don't understand my point, start to develop your reading skills, please. I'm out of here.

Forget the naysayers Sirchai....You seem to be doing a great job with your students. Anyone thinking you can walk into a Thai classroom and deal with those kids like you would Western kids, is sadly deluded....

• Like 1