Cricket International Series & General Chat

England, India and Australia's power grab at the ICC is the worst thing that has ever happened to our sport

On Thursday, the full council of the International Cricket Council is poised to rubber-stamp the worst thing that has ever happened to cricket, and nobody thereafter can do anything about it.

In future, the rich cricket countries will get richer. It is the same everywhere else in the world, of course, but this spits in the face of cricket. If the sport does anything of value, it promotes fair play on a level playing field.

In addition, Test cricket will surely be reduced to an ever diminishing number of countries, and the sport’s growth worldwide reduced. If corruption and match-fixing are bad now, we may not have seen anything yet.

The worst thing that has happened is the takeover of the ICC by the chairmen of Australia, England and India in constitutional changes which will be rubber-stamped in Melbourne by their craven minions.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/england-india-and-australias-power-grab-at-the-icc-is-the-worst-thing-that-has-ever-happened-to-our-sport-20140626-zsmtk.html

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the problem with the English captaincy at the minute is that there

doesn't seem to be a decent replacement. A bit like the Aussie side to be honest.

Brad Haddin is probably next cab of the rank for us, but he's getting on. I'm not

sure about Watson who they used last time.

7by, who do you think would be the logical successor to Cook assuming that there

is a change? I've read that it could be Bell but not sure if he would be the right guy for the job.

A very good question, Will.

Bell, the current vice captain, from most accounts doesn't want it.

Prior the previous vice captain, would be next in line after Bell.

Then there's Broad, the T20 captain.

Current betting has Bell as favourite, Broad second and Prior third.

But as I said elsewhere, all three, and the rest of the team, are, publicly at least, firmly backing Cook.

Shane Warne launches another attack on Alastair Cook

"On Monday at Headingley I witnessed the worst day of captaincy I have ever seen at international

level in almost 25 years in the game. It was horrific, and I am not the only one singing that tune," said

Warne, who is the second highest Test wicket-taker of all time with 708 scalps.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/shane-warne-launches-another-attack-on-alastair-cook-20140627-zsobs.html#ixzz35pSEDprG

"On Monday at Headingley I witnessed the worst day of captaincy I have ever seen at international

level in almost 25 years in the game. It was horrific, and I am not the only one singing that tune," said

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/shane-warne-launches-another-attack-on-alastair-cook-20140627-zsobs.html#ixzz35pSEDprG

Warnie is like a dog with a bone. In Warnie's case, maybe a boner? tongue.png

Seriously though. I didn't see the day's Cricket, so it would be good to hear from anyone who was watching the game and what they thought

Warnie is like a dog with a bone. In Warnie's case, maybe a boner? tongue.png

Seriously though. I didn't see the day's Cricket, so it would be good to hear from anyone who was watching the game and what they thought

I didn't see any of it either, but IMO Warney has one of the most astute cricket brains going around.

He's usually pretty spot on with his opinions/views.

If he wasn't such a tool off the ground, he would've been Australia's test captain.

I didn't see it, but heard much of it on TMS.

Cook had a plan to deal with Mathews, which didn't work.

Unfortunately, it seemed he had no plan B.

Alastair Cook's determination buys him time as England captain

Also - and this is not damning him with faint praise - there seems to be no other viable alternative.

Stuart Broad is not physically fit enough to do the job - he has a long-standing knee injury that will require surgery - Matt Prior is working his way back in to the side and the feeling is Ian Bell is not a natural leader and would be better off left to concentrate on his batting.

A lack of leaders in the England side is one we have talked about for some time. These players hardly ever appear in county cricket, so have little experience of captaincy. For that reason, Cook has been learning on the job.

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned the Scotland games this Summer - starting with a one-day 39 run loss to England in rain-soaked Aberdeen, then a draw with the Netherlands in Glasgow after the third game was washed out.

Maybe surprised is too strong a word for it...

SC

Will he now say "On Saturday at Trent Bridge I witnessed the worst day of captaincy I have ever seen at international level in almost 25 years and two weeks in the game."?

Or does he reserve his criticisms purely for English captains?

For those who are not aware, at lunch

A record-breaking morning, historic even. To recap...

Anderson's 81 not out is the highest score by an England number 11 and the third-highest in Test history.

The stand of 187 is a Test record for the 10th-wicket, passing the 163 of Ashton Agar and Phil Hughes set last year.

This is the first Test match where both number 11s have scored half-centuries and where two last-wicket partnerships have added in excess of 100.

(source)

If Jimmy gets his 100, he'll be the first Test number 11 to do so.

Dhoni seems bereft of ideas.

Jonathan Agnew, BBC Test Match Special

"I'm looking at MS Dhoni through the grille in his helmet and he is just staring rather blankly."

Will he now say "On Saturday at Trent Bridge I witnessed the worst day of captaincy I have ever seen at international level in almost 25 years and two weeks in the game."?

Or does he reserve his criticisms purely for English captains?

For those who are not aware, at lunch

A record-breaking morning, historic even. To recap...

Anderson's 81 not out is the highest score by an England number 11 and the third-highest in Test history.

The stand of 187 is a Test record for the 10th-wicket, passing the 163 of Ashton Agar and Phil Hughes set last year.

This is the first Test match where both number 11s have scored half-centuries and where two last-wicket partnerships have added in excess of 100.

(source)

"I'm looking at MS Dhoni through the grille in his helmet and he is just staring rather blankly."

Warney calls a spade a shovel. He's made some ordinary comments about Aussie

cricketers as well in the past.

But, he's being paid by a Pommy tabloid and know's a scathing comment about Dhoni

isn't going to sell many newspapers.

The deck at Trent Bridge must be a road.

Dhoni probably has a lot of commitments to uphold with various bookmakers. Exotic type betting such as 'highest score by a tailender' etcetera tongue.png

Jimmy Anderson getting 20 would be news, but 81 not out!> Sensational stuff!

Jimmy Anderson getting 20 would be news, but 81 not out!> Sensational stuff!

Unfortunately, he didn't get any further; being out shortly after lunch.

But he did participate with Root in a world record 10th wicket stand of 198 and help England get a slim lead of 39; something which seemed impossible on Friday evening.

The pitch has been lifeless throughout; leading to accusations of the Notts committee instructing their groundsman to prepare a flat pitch to ensure the game went into the fifth day.

However, at lunch today, the final one, England have reduced India to 230 for 6; a lead of 191.

If England can knock the last four off quickly, who knows?

Unlikely, though.

Here's a good article on the first test at Trent Bridge by Chappelli.

Dhoni wins the first round in the captaincy battle

India's and England's captains have both taken some inexplicable decisions in the first Test at Trent Bridge. But Dhoni managed to take advantage of the hosts' frail line-up http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/759701.html

India on top, mainly due to some inexplicable tactics from England in the final session of the first day which allowed India to go from 145 for 7 to 295 all out.

Basically, on a bowler friendly pitch and with the ball swinging all over the place, they tried to bounce Rahane out. He took advantage of this to score 103!

So far for England, Ballance did well, 110, and Moeen scored 32; but the rest of them all failed to reach 20!

But if Prior can forget about the pressure he is under for his place and simply play as we all know he is capable of, and he doesn't run out of partners, then England could get a first innings lead.

England v India: Gary Ballance hits century but tourists hold edge

As for Cook; worrying about his poor batting form is effecting his captaincy; and vice versa. I agree with Boycott; he needs some time away from the pressures of international cricket to rediscover his batting form in county cricket.

England all out for 319, a lead of 24.

Poor old Prior, 23, failed again, the lead being due to night watchman Plunkett's 55 not out.

India coming out with about 20 minutes to lunch. If England can get a wicket before lunch; game on!

Meanwhile; an assessment of Cook's captaincy from an Aussie whose opinion, I think, carries more weight than Warne's.

Alastair Cook 'captaining for pundits' - Steve Waugh

Now you're talking 7by7. Steve "Tugga" Waugh is my cricketing hero.

Waugh and Warne don't see eye to eye on a lot of issues.

IMO, Warney never really forgave Waugh for being on a 3

man selection panel in the WI who dropped him.

I know Waugh captained a great side, but IMO, he took

test cricket to another level when he was captain. Fast

scoring and never entertained the possibility of even a draw.

Then again, easy to say/do that when you have the likes of Warne,

Gilchrest, McGrath, Hadyen and the like in the side.

Meanwhile; an assessment of Cook's captaincy from an Aussie whose opinion, I think, carries more weight than Warne's.

Alastair Cook 'captaining for pundits' - Steve Waugh

Now you're talking 7by7. Steve "Tugga" Waugh is my cricketing hero.

Waugh and Warne don't see eye to eye on a lot of issues.

IMO, Warney never really forgave Waugh for being on a 3

man selection panel in the WI who dropped him.

I know Waugh captained a great side, but IMO, he took

test cricket to another level when he was captain. Fast

scoring and never entertained the possibility of even a draw.

Then again, easy to say/do that when you have the likes of Warne,

Gilchrest, McGrath, Hadyen and the like in the side.

Difficult to fault Waugh as a player or a Captain. Yes he was helped enormously by the talent he had in his team.

By Waugh's own comments though, Cook is not really cut out as a Captain. If he is Captaining to appease the pundits, it is a sign of uncertainty about backing himself in his own mind.

I don't dismiss Warnie though. As a tactician Warnie is in the top echelon.

As Boycott said, Cook needs a spell back in county cricket to rediscover his batting form.

Then, hopefully, he'll be able to regain his abilities as captain and wont let media comments effect the way he captains the side.

Michael Vaughan in The Telegraph

It is easy for the England and Wales Cricket Board to say it is going to stick by him but it has to ask what is best for the team and for Cook. The ECB has a responsibility to Cook the person to do the right thing and if that means taking the captaincy away then so be it.

He has a huge job. He does not have four world-class bowlers, only two. He does not have a world-class spinner so this side need a captain with a sound tactical brain and being spot on all the time with those tactics otherwise the opposition gets back into the contest, which has been happening too often.

England have been guilty of allowing the opposition back into the game for more than a year. It started in New Zealand, continued in Australia and cost them against Sri Lanka.

It's doable; Root and Moeen are capable of big scores as is Prior; if they play sensibly.

It's only 2.4 an over, no need to rush and get out to silly shots; as has happened so often to English batsmen of late.

Take each ball on it's merits, and don't play at balls you don't have to. It may not be pretty, but it is often effective.

Current score (11:44 BST) 135 for 4.

On the captaincy,

Alec Stewart on BBC Test Match Special
"For the good of Alastair Cook and for the good of English cricket, something has to be done. To be honest, we won't miss his captaincy but we will miss his runs at the top of the order. I still want Alastair Cook to play for another six, eight, 10 years, and we have to find a way of him getting runs again. However he believes he will regain the form as a captain, that has to be the priority."

Michael Vaughan on BBC Test Match Special
"I know the mind of a captain when he's going through what Cook is. When it becomes desperate, it's gone too far. For him, he would be better out of this pressure zone. If we take him away, he might have six or seven years opening the batting for England, 13,000 Test runs."

"Peter Moores has been given a bad pass. Andy Flower went. So did Graeme Swann, Jonathan Trott and Kevin Pietersen. Flower has left the cricket team in a horrible position and the likes of Alastair Cook, Peter Moores and Paul Downton are having to pick up the pieces."
(source)

On the lighter side, this from the BBC text commentary

11:30 Those who have followed this match closely will know we've been slightly concerned about a rather large, vintage chap who has been caught dozing on four consecutive days by the television cameras. Well, good news... he's fine - and awake! He's just asking the fella sat next to him what's been happening. India were 10-0 in the first innings when he dropped off.

The morning belonged to England; 100 partnership between Root and Moeen.

Until a brilliant piece of captaincy by M. S. Dhoni, getting Sharma to bowl the last over before lunch short, got Moeen's wicket off the last ball before lunch!

173 for 5 at lunch, 146 more needed.

England need a 100 from Root (52*) and support for him from Prior and Stokes; both of whom are not in the best of form.

The morning belonged to England; 100 partnership between Root and Moeen.

Until a brilliant piece of captaincy by M. S. Dhoni, getting Sharma to bowl the last over before lunch short, got Moeen's wicket off the last ball before lunch!

173 for 5 at lunch, 146 more needed.

England need a 100 from Root (52*) and support for him from Prior and Stokes; both of whom are not in the best of form.

8/212 now. Can't see them winning from here, though there has been some big late wicket partnerships this series.

Is there anything we can blame Cook for this 2nd innings?

Archived