International schools in thailand.

Please keep on topic and keep the discussion civil. I work for a school that was once in the top 100 schools in Thailand (Thai system), on the national test scores. I now assist with that school and several others. Some Thai schools are quite good and others are less so.

In addition to the school, there is also the issue of intelligence and motivation.

A lot of kids also do classes/tutorial outside of the regular classroom.

I sent my three kids to International school while I was there, but that was always with the worry in the back of my mind that we might have to return to the UK if, for instance, I lost my job. But it was seriously expensive, although the Regent's did give a big discount for the third child.

As it turns out, we moved back for the kids (because of the residency requirements for student loan eligibility), and they've dropped back into school in the UK with no issues. (That might also explain the disappearance of some children from years 10,11,12 - expat children anyway).

If they'd gone through the Thai system, there is no way they could have dropped back into school in the UK easily.

On the other hand, I also know a Thai person at work in London who came through the Thai system. Initially with a Thai degree, but then with a Masters from a University in the US, so it's possible to get decent qualifications either way. (It's obviously cheaper overall to do it the Thai way, but almost certainly easier to get into good universities abroad from the international school route.)

One downside of International schools is that you do effectively rule your child out of the University system in Thailand (at least where lessons are taught in Thai), so you need to be aware of the costs of sending them abroad for University. The International schools generally teach the amount of Thai they are required to do by law, which can often result in children who are unlikely to pass Thai-language university entrance exams.

• Like 2

Most mentioned are "replicas" of what international schools should be. Managed by Thais and attempting to be different from local Thai school.

As far as I am concerned, there is only 3 true international schools in Thailand. ISB ranks the top, RIS the second, third one I forgot as it's been a while. But definitely not those mentioned above.

The curriculum consists mainly of international courses, with high school including IB programs and AP programs which is college equivalent courses. Most graduating students easily get into the top universities and colleges around the world, Harvard, Stanford, UBC, UCLA, and so on. Don't even need to mention thai universities. As much as I hate to say it, it's a guaranteed free pass. I was a graduate long long time ago, threw some applications around the top 3-4 universities, we should know which they are. C*****, A***, and so on. On the day that I wanted to go take the entrance exam, I looked down the list, every name had a time and a place, mine didn't. I ask them what's wrong. "Oh, you don't have to take it. Your from international school." While I disagree with this practice, it's how things work here. While the whole country has to fight for what's available of the seats left, that is thousands trying to get hundreds of seats left. And of course, everyone your kid meets at school is connected heavily. Name any large enterprise in Thailand, there's a kid there.

The courses are top notched, your kid if they can graduate, could easily be the brightest 10% of Thailand, and definitely 30% of the smartest in the world. From biology with microscopes, dissecting frogs and cats, to business courses, accounting, algebra, calculus, economics, you name it. Everything. Recently I heard, every kid has their own laptop to use in school as well. They type while taking notes.

So definitely recommended if you have the money.

No school in the world can turn a dumb kid into one of the smartest in the world. They can definitely help a lot but talent and determination are above that.

They can afford it!

They are obviously better.

I prefer to have my daughter home schooled.

1 teacher 2 children V 1 teacher 30 children.

Me too - for 4 years now - IGCSE courses - (they were in a good Private Bi-Lingual Thai School English Program before that)

To the OP. Some Thai Private schools also do IGCSE (UK Curriculum - shop around). Some will say it is the price, it is not always. I put my kids in the private school because it had a good rep and it is well known for building connections that are important for Thais in the future. They were in British Private (Public Schools - in the UK that means Private strangely - not state) Schools from 2 (at 30 grand sterling a year) - so it was not money as International Schools are much cheaper here than Private Schools back home.

In the end I took them out and home schooled them (I have the necessary education and experience to undertake this - it is no mean feat to do it properly).

There are only a handful international schools in Thailand that are proper international schools, eg ISB NIST Patana etc. Dont waste your money on the rest, they are businesses, not schools, with majority local students who do not want to learn, its only prestige for them to say they go to an 'international school'. These schools are a joke. There are good Thai schools with a bilingual program and which are cheaper.

Agree 1000%.

Most of the international schools in Thailand wouldn't make a top 200 ranking in your home country. Which for 500k per year is a complete and utter rip off.

There are only a handful international schools in Thailand that are proper international schools, eg ISB NIST Patana etc. Dont waste your money on the rest, they are businesses, not schools, with majority local students who do not want to learn, its only prestige for them to say they go to an 'international school'. These schools are a joke. There are good Thai schools with a bilingual program and which are cheaper.

I wonder where you would put Harrow International School in your assessment? The ex pm has her son there by the way, i used to teach him!
Did you have much succes ?

Most mentioned are "replicas" of what international schools should be. Managed by Thais and attempting to be different from local Thai school.

As far as I am concerned, there is only 3 true international schools in Thailand. ISB ranks the top, RIS the second, third one I forgot as it's been a while. But definitely not those mentioned above.

The curriculum consists mainly of international courses, with high school including IB programs and AP programs which is college equivalent courses. Most graduating students easily get into the top universities and colleges around the world, Harvard, Stanford, UBC, UCLA, and so on. Don't even need to mention thai universities. As much as I hate to say it, it's a guaranteed free pass. I was a graduate long long time ago, threw some applications around the top 3-4 universities, we should know which they are. C*****, A***, and so on. On the day that I wanted to go take the entrance exam, I looked down the list, every name had a time and a place, mine didn't. I ask them what's wrong. "Oh, you don't have to take it. Your from international school." While I disagree with this practice, it's how things work here. While the whole country has to fight for what's available of the seats left, that is thousands trying to get hundreds of seats left. And of course, everyone your kid meets at school is connected heavily. Name any large enterprise in Thailand, there's a kid there.

The courses are top notched, your kid if they can graduate, could easily be the brightest 10% of Thailand, and definitely 30% of the smartest in the world. From biology with microscopes, dissecting frogs and cats, to business courses, accounting, algebra, calculus, economics, you name it. Everything. Recently I heard, every kid has their own laptop to use in school as well. They type while taking notes.

No school in the world can turn a dumb kid into one of the smartest in the world. They can definitely help a lot but talent and determination are above that.

There is no "dumb kid" in this world. Every child is smart and intelligent, just in different ways.

You assume "dumb kid" do not have talent and determination. Everyone has equal opportunities to be talented and has the determination to learn.

And yes, for your information, a "dumb kid" can indeed be the smartest in the world.

Keep your ignorance to yourself.

Up until last year I had my daughter enrolled in a local international school in Bangkok. It was one of the mid-priced schools and she had been going to it for 6 years. They tend to keep the school fees fixed at what you were paying during the first year your kids started studying. I used to pay THB 500,000 per year (3 terms), but newer kids are paying more like 750,000 now, and of course there are other schools like ISB that charge a lot more than that. It is terribly expensive! Too expensive for most including myself, but I was lucky enough to have my company pay for half the fees. It is a huge relief that she doesn't study there anymore. She's now 18 and can finish up a general high school diploma at tutoring schools like AIMS at Siam and Phya Thai. I have had my daughter in private schools all her life and have never even once considered a public school for her. Even many of the private schools that teach in Thai (which she had been studying at during her first few years) are not very good and still have to follow some of the local curriculum. I would have preferred my daughter enrolled in a bi-lingual school, but there are none around where I live. Anyway, most international schools have 90% locals studying in them anyway, so it makes better sense to enroll your kids in bi-lingual schools if possible. It is a lot more affordable too.

• Like 2

. All teachers are sourced from abroad, none locally.

That's rubbish mate.

I sent my kids to the Regents for years. Most of the teachers ARE hired abroad.

The only local hires I heard of were transfers between the Bangkok and Pattaya branches of the school, and a couple of replacements hired from other international schools locally. And I attended quite a few of the parent's nights, so I talked to lots of them. There is definitely a set of teachers that have stayed at the school for years, along with a fairly regular turnover of people who come in, do 3 years, then moved on to another international school (sometimes in Thailand, sometimes in another country - China for one whose daughter was a friend of my daughter...)

There were no Thai teachers, except for Thai language, and I think one of the music teachers. The teachers' assistants in primary were mostly Thai, as were the office staff, secretaries, etc.

I know the headmaster of a well known international school in Bangkok. After speaking with him he suggested I keep my child in a Bi lingual school until she is 11 and only then consider moving her to an International school.

My daughter, age 4, attends Berkeley International School at Bangna. I looked at four others and it was a toss up between Berkeley and the Montessori School, Bangna. Berkeley gives a hefty discount if one of the parents is farang. The school is very good and my daughter's first two teachers were English and were excellent. The Headmaster is American and the school is about three years old with large grounds and excellent facilities. It is opposite Bitec on the Bangna - Trat road.

I have a theory that children spend an inordinate amount of time studying Thai language in Thai schools to the detriment of other subjects.

My daughter, age 4, attends Berkeley International School at Bangna. I looked at four others and it was a toss up between Berkeley and the Montessori School, Bangna. Berkeley gives a hefty discount if one of the parents is farang. The school is very good and my daughter's first two teachers were English and were excellent. The Headmaster is American and the school is about three years old with large grounds and excellent facilities. It is opposite Bitec on the Bangna - Trat road.

I have a theory that children spend an inordinate amount of time studying Thai language in Thai schools to the detriment of other subjects.

Can you give us an idea of the kind of discount you're talking about? Is it only off tuition, or also the registration fee?

There is no "dumb kid" in this world. Every child is smart and intelligent, just in different ways.

You assume "dumb kid" do not have talent and determination. Everyone has equal opportunities to be talented and has the determination to learn.

And yes, for your information, a "dumb kid" can indeed be the smartest in the world.

Keep your ignorance to yourself.

Well someone has to come bottom of the class. Even in international school.

The discount at Berkeley International School for tuition was 50% eighteen months ago and I think this is still the case for farang, or half farang, children. I cannot remember what the circumstances were re the registration fee.

Th credit weighting for Thai language is the same as that for mathematics in Thai schools....and both subjects are quite difficult for most students.

• 2 months later...

Not sure where you got your data. ISB is OK but left for dead by Bangkok Pattana and NIST. Look at the IB scores for NIST for 2014 class. median score of 37 against the global median of 34 and one student scored a perfect 45 (only around 175 perfect scores globally), students from both these schools going to very prestigious universities all around the world. RIS would not even rank in the top 10 in Thailand and this easily ascertained by looking at their graduating classes. Getting admission to the top Thai universities from international schools means nothing as their rankings internationally are laughably low.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Not sure where you got your data. ISB is OK but left for dead by Bangkok Pattana and NIST. Look at the IB scores for NIST for 2014 class. median score of 37 against the global median of 34 and one student scored a perfect 45 (only around 175 perfect scores globally), students from both these schools going to very prestigious universities all around the world. RIS would not even rank in the top 10 in Thailand and this easily ascertained by looking at their graduating classes. Getting admission to the top Thai universities from international schools means nothing as their rankings internationally are laughably low.

If you are the type that prefers lower end fake international schools, by all means go ahead, settle for less, choose BPS and NIST. No bother is stopping you. Others prefer quality, and that you have to experience yourself.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If you are the type that prefers lower end fake international schools, by all means go ahead, settle for less, choose BPS and NIST. No bother is stopping you. Others prefer quality, and that you have to experience yourself.

No doubt that ISB is a very fine school however, to call the BPS and NIST 'lower end fake schools' when all 3 schools have CIS accreditation is just plain dumb.

And no need to mention WASC as they and the CIS have very similar standards and have often jointly worked together when schools have applied for both accreditation's.

• Like 2

What people are forgetting here is we have a saying.

You can take a horse to water.

But you can't make him drink .

In thai they say

" yoo tee khun "

Meaning it depends on the kid .

Does he want to learn.

I know loads of success full thais .

Who went to normal schools.

They wanted to learn and did.

There's loads of rich kids in inter schools who do badly .

One mate started with nothing.

Basic education.

He owns a metal factory.

Hardly works just enjoys his life .

Most fallangs think if a kid can't speak English well. There doomed.

There's many Asians in the UK who don't but are very successful.

• Like 1

Have to agree with the last bit

From what I've seen

• 2 weeks later...

It is well known among the elite Thais and moneyed or diplomatic expats that there is ONE and only one international school in Thailand that is worth it if you wish your children to get a very good education to prepare them for the world. And that institution is the alma mater of Timothy Geithner..... (ISB)

All other "international schools" in Thailand are for the unwashed masses and range from good to mediocre to terrible.

Nonsense. Look at the gradating class of 2014 from Bangkok Pattana and NIST. The latter had an IB average of 36 compared with the global average of 29.8. Of the 146 kids in the entire world that scored a perfect score of 45 - two of them were from NIST. 28% os the cohort scored 40 and above. Graduating students were accepted into University of Cambridge, MIT, Stanford and other top universities around the world. Do some research before you make uninformed posts.

I'd hate to let facts get in the way of a good argument but why don't you take a simple look at the results of BP and NIST in the last graduating group of 2014 and see how ISB stands up against them. They are in the public domain if you would care to take the trouble and have a look. You might be a little surprised. I'll just give you a little taster - the world average for IB in 2014 was 29.8 - NIST average 36. These are internationally moderated exams by the way.

I'd hate to let facts get in the way of a good argument but why don't you take a simple look at the results of BP and NIST in the last graduating group of 2014 and see how ISB stands up against them. They are in the public domain if you would care to take the trouble and have a look. You might be a little surprised. I'll just give you a little taster - the world average for IB in 2014 was 29.8 - NIST average 36. These are internationally moderated exams by the way.

"NIST students have surpassed that standard every year, earning an average of 33 to 35, and the 80 members of the newly graduated Class of 2014 who chose to pursue the diploma set a record with an average score of 36!" -Nist website

"The average overall point total obtained by ISB Diploma students was 35." -Isb website

"ISB is OK but left for dead by Bangkok Pattana and NIST. Look at the IB scores for NIST for 2014 class. median score of 37" - Johnson

facepalm.gif

Like I have said earlier and posted by other members, ISB > BPS/NIST

It really doesn't bother me at all if you work for BPS or NIST. This thread is dedicated to knowing which international schools are real and the rankings, so parents can be informed about their choices. Atleast we have a common understanding, that is which are real international schools as opposed to the fake thai wannabes. However, your persistence on the rankings of the international schools is a huge problem. Go ahead, send your children to BPS and NIST, if that's your flavor. Then send them to ISB or RIS, you'll understand there are more than to IB scores alone. Just like how a car with more 5 horsepower than it's competitor just isn't the better car. coffee1.gif I know which is the better school and will share with prospective parents thinking about sending their children in to learn. You can keep on telling yourself otherwise. It's your choice. tongue.png I'm not an outsider to this, so you can save your efforts on someone else. biggrin.png

I wonder where you would put Harrow International School in your assessment? The ex pm has her son there by the way, i used to teach him!

Harrow is not a bad school but lacks the diversity in it's student body to be considered a true international school

• 2 weeks later...

ISB is the best money can buy in Thailand.

I have two stepdaughters that went to ISB and we stayed throughout the time at Nichada Thani.

One after completing her studies went through Osaka University in Japan and the other to Edinburgh University,

Besides ISB the only other school I can recommend is Bangkok Pattana but they are not to the same standard as ISB.

All the other schools can't even get near ISB or BPS.

I am now saving funds on a monthly basis for my 1y 10m old boy for entering ISB in a few years time.