International schools in thailand.

It is well known among the elite Thais and moneyed or diplomatic expats that there is ONE and only one international school in Thailand that is worth it if you wish your children to get a very good education to prepare them for the world. And that institution is the alma mater of Timothy Geithner..... (ISB)

All other "international schools" in Thailand are for the unwashed masses and range from good to mediocre to terrible.

Fully agree, ISB is the best in Bangkok all the others are not to the standard of ISB. They are expensive but I would never tolerate an Indian or Filipino teacher.

What I loved the most of ISB is the multulingual kids fluent in Japanese, Korean etc.

My stepdaughters learned Japanese and Korean fluently in a matter of two years from their school friends. They had no problem in finding a place at an overseas university and one lives now in the UK with her Scottish hubby and the other in Singapore. Both make good money.

For me its either ISB or Singapore for my 1y 10m old boy.

Edited by MobileContent

Middle school 6 to 8 .

Is 790,000 per year

+++

.WHAT !!!!

240,000 To be admitted.

Then transport. And I'm sure there's lots of field/day trips.

That's verging on 20K GBP per year

You can get st Paul in Barnes SW15 .London for that.

If I had loads of money I suppose I would put my kids there.

There are some good school's in thailand that don't break the bank.

Like I said before.its down to the kid if he wants to learn or not.

You can't say that everyonewho goes to the most expensive school .

Goes on to a decent job.

• 1 month later...

My children grade 6 and 3 attend Prem an IB accredited grade school.middle school and high school with boarding and nonboarding students in Mae Rim since this August. Previously in good private schools in the States. The Prem administration,teaching staff,facilities and grounds are top notch in my opinion. About 70% of students are non Thai.

There are many other decent schools in Thailand. The Thai public schools may not be the best but I'm a product of the US public school system of the fifties and early sixties and despite it have risen to a postdoctoral level.

My children learned Thai as thier first language and than English and others. They read and write Thai and speak it when they're not in school which is taught in English. If you want your children to learn any language teach them. They'll learn. Don't wait until they're post secondary school.

For that matter try to teach your children as much as you can while they're still young. Many oppertunities to learn outside of the classroom and still suceed in life what ever

that may mean for each of us.

I went to Patana's Christmas do last week on Suk 105 and was very impressed with the place having never actually been there. I did not realise it's been going since 1957 so must be one, if not the first international School in Bkk. Better than an American International School we used to live next to where the teaching staff all looked like religious zealots walking around in rags.

I was told the Thai numbers are about 25%, just a pity all Thai kids can't have this standard of education, the kids there just shone with intelligence, interest and life, did not see one child stuck on a damn phone or reading a comic or being a pain in the neck, lovely School.

Edited by jacky54

It is well known among the elite Thais and moneyed or diplomatic expats that there is ONE and only one international school in Thailand that is worth it if you wish your children to get a very good education to prepare them for the world. And that institution is the alma mater of Timothy Geithner..... (ISB)

All other "international schools" in Thailand are for the unwashed masses and range from good to mediocre to terrible.

..if you are American.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Most mentioned are "replicas" of what international schools should be. Managed by Thais and attempting to be different from local Thai school.

As far as I am concerned, there is only 3 true international schools in Thailand. ISB ranks the top, RIS the second, third one I forgot as it's been a while. But definitely not those mentioned above.

The curriculum consists mainly of international courses, with high school including IB programs and AP programs which is college equivalent courses. Most graduating students easily get into the top universities and colleges around the world, Harvard, Stanford, UBC, UCLA, and so on. Don't even need to mention thai universities. As much as I hate to say it, it's a guaranteed free pass. I was a graduate long long time ago, threw some applications around the top 3-4 universities, we should know which they are. C*****, A***, and so on. On the day that I wanted to go take the entrance exam, I looked down the list, every name had a time and a place, mine didn't. I ask them what's wrong. "Oh, you don't have to take it. Your from international school." While I disagree with this practice, it's how things work here. While the whole country has to fight for what's available of the seats left, that is thousands trying to get hundreds of seats left. And of course, everyone your kid meets at school is connected heavily. Name any large enterprise in Thailand, there's a kid there.

The courses are top notched, your kid if they can graduate, could easily be the brightest 10% of Thailand, and definitely 30% of the smartest in the world. From biology with microscopes, dissecting frogs and cats, to business courses, accounting, algebra, calculus, economics, you name it. Everything. Recently I heard, every kid has their own laptop to use in school as well. They type while taking notes.

So definitely recommended if you have the money.

Not sure where you got your data. ISB is OK but left for dead by Bangkok Pattana and NIST. Look at the IB scores for NIST for 2014 class. median score of 37 against the global median of 34 and one student scored a perfect 45 (only around 175 perfect scores globally), students from both these schools going to very prestigious universities all around the world. RIS would not even rank in the top 10 in Thailand and this easily ascertained by looking at their graduating classes. Getting admission to the top Thai universities from international schools means nothing as their rankings internationally are laughably low.

If you are the type that prefers lower end fake international schools, by all means go ahead, settle for less, choose BPS and NIST. No bother is stopping you. Others prefer quality, and that you have to experience yourself.

What utter rubbish ! ISB is top tier along with NIST,BPS,Harrow and Shrewsbury. RIS is not close to the top 10 list. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about, when did you last visit the RIS campus or compare results of these schools. Name calling other schools does not make your opinion correct.