BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jingthing

Do you eat your nigiri sushi with hands or chopsticks?

Do you eat your nigiri sushi with hands or chopsticks?  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My answer*, Both , depending on mood and inclination. Go to any Sushi restaurant in Japan and you will see people eating with chopsticks, to say it is wrong is incorrect.Sometimes the big pieces are hard to handle and I will not dare dropping a piece of ootoro! Dipping the rice instead of the "neta" in soy is wrong.

I use chopsticks. Thai's use chopsticks. In Japan I saw everyone use chopsticks. In Europe they used their hands.

Who would have known.

I remember onigiri being rice balls eaten with the hands when I lived in Japan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onigiri

Despite common misconceptions, onigiri is not a form of sushi. Onigiri is made with plain rice (sometimes lightly salted), while sushi is made of rice with vinegar, sugar and salt.[1] Onigiri makes rice portable and easy to eat as well as preserving it, while sushi originated as a way of preserving fish.

Sushi on the other hand (pun intended) is eaten with chopsticks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sushi

You can see in the picture the nigiri-zushi has chopsticks placed to next to it. In 6 years of living in Japan everybody I know ate this with chopsticks with out exception.

bein' from California where the sushi fad originated I'd just cup my hand with the lot and stuff it down me gub...aroused by the display, my female dining companions would then stare and slack their facial muscles with desire...

never saw no sushi on de menu at the mom an' pop japanese restaurants I useta frequent back in early 70s Pasadena and LA...sorta like 'fajitas' in mexican restaurants that never appeared until the late 70s...

It's personal preference and what else you are eating.... When I am eating ONLY sushi, then I use my hands, but if I am also eating an entree, tempura, teriyaki, sashimi, etc... with my sushi; then I use chopsticks, otherwise it gets too messy with sticky fingers smile.png.

So, in the OP's poll, i answered "With CHOPSTICKS" as I mostly eat sushi with other foods except when I have the combination sashimi over sushi rice - Chirashi, which is eaten with chopsticks....

At this Michelin "3 Star" sushi only restaurant, it's all fingers....

In case you wanted more info on "Jiro" the greatest sushi maker....there's a good movie...

I never eat raw fish or meat of any discription!

Both

I've seen many Japanese use chopsticks in Japan. Tons in fact.

I think if you are given a hand towel maybe, if not no.

Yeah, sushi pretty crap here.