BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
Kiniyeow

Where/When to go deep sea fishing in Thailand?

My wife loves to go fishing and has always said she wants to go deep sea fishing but I have no idea when the best time of year for this is and which places offer the best tours. Has anyone had any first hand experience anywhere?

I live in Chiang Mai, so I plan on making it a mini holiday for us.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

What are you after?

How many days you wana spend on board?

And what is your budget?

I've dabbled in it. Koh Tao was my best paid experience in Thailand. We caught fish doing day trips but not many - 2 or 3 per person would be a good day and that was 7 years ago. The fish were up to 2 kilos each and trevally or similar. Phuket is all fished out. They'll take you out for the day and you might get 2 or 3 baby tuna while they hide in the lee of an island to escape the wind. There are some Burma Banks charters out of Ranong. They only go in high season - Nov through Mar. It costs 24,000 or so per person for 5 days and you can expect 100 kilos of fish or more per person. These can be hard to book as the boats often fill with a group of friends and no room for outsiders. There is some fishing out of Samui but I've not tried it. Judging by the response here the sport must be more popular with Thais than farang. Oh, and I just remembered it is supposed to be good out of Satun - just what I heard, not tried yet.

• Like 1

greetings Kini,

from chiang mai, i would recommend heading to cha-am/hua hin, u can google a few fishing trips. a fun trip the cruise/fishing boat. u run a line off the back while cruise does touristy stops in between.

then head south along the coast. there are many fishing village en route to prachuap khiri khan.

check out up close. many fishermen are quite happy to take you.

ban krut to bang saphan. many fishermen and also maybe u could line up with scuba boat if they are slow to head out into deep water

continue south to chumphon, there are many different fishing village aroung here. u may have to ask locals.

then head south/west to rayong and try this district and/or make side trip to burma/myramar. continue south as far as u are comfortable, then head back to gulf side.

so many islands for good fishing also.

when ever u run out of time, head back home en route to chang mai.

bon voyage'n'happy fishin'

Edited by oby

I used to go out from Sattahip quite often, but like Phuket I believe it is fished out some what.

The best time seemed to be early in the year, sadly high season when it is busy. The Russians like to do this too.

Of course that is also when the weather s best.

Thai fishermen encroach into neighbouring countries when fishing. Mostly Indonesia and malaysia.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

greetings Kini,

from chiang mai, i would recommend heading to cha-am/hua hin, u can google a few fishing trips. a fun trip the cruise/fishing boat. u run a line off the back while cruise does touristy stops in between.

then head south along the coast. there are many fishing village en route to prachuap khiri khan.

check out up close. many fishermen are quite happy to take you.

ban krut to bang saphan. many fishermen and also maybe u could line up with scuba boat if they are slow to head out into deep water

continue south to chumphon, there are many different fishing village aroung here. u may have to ask locals.

then head south/west to rayong and try this district and/or make side trip to burma/myramar. continue south as far as u are comfortable, then head back to gulf side.

so many islands for good fishing also.

when ever u run out of time, head back home en route to chang mai.

bon voyage'n'happy fishin'

Out of Chumpon it is Not Rayong - it is Ranong

Thailand can't even sink a submarine. Where you you expect to find the "deep sea?"

Thailand can't even sink a submarine. Where you you expect to find the "deep sea?"

Say What??????? Hope sleeping it off is all that's required! crazy.gif crazy.gif crazy.gif

georgey thanks for that info. Not to hijack the thread, it's been good, but about Rompin, is there website available? How about other species than sails? Accommodations, leisure hours? I love off-shore fishing, grew up on the Texas/Louisiana Gulf Coast fishing for reds, specs, and ling, along with a few others. I think a big problem with Thailand fishing is not only have the fish been over fished, but in general the old slow wooden boats can't cover the distances needed and can't move fast enough to 'hunt' the fish. I had, now lost, a video of a Thai guy, wish I could remember the connection, that had gone out of the Pattaya area in a twin outboard obviously built with fishing in mind. His group used jigging and had a good haul of decent size fish. I don't think they are all gone, one just has to be able to hunt and find. Thanks again for this thread and the posts, there are a few of us that do like to fish.

georgey thanks for that info. Not to hijack the thread, it's been good, but about Rompin, is there website available? How about other species than sails? Accommodations, leisure hours? I love off-shore fishing, grew up on the Texas/Louisiana Gulf Coast fishing for reds, specs, and ling, along with a few others. I think a big problem with Thailand fishing is not only have the fish been over fished, but in general the old slow wooden boats can't cover the distances needed and can't move fast enough to 'hunt' the fish. I had, now lost, a video of a Thai guy, wish I could remember the connection, that had gone out of the Pattaya area in a twin outboard obviously built with fishing in mind. His group used jigging and had a good haul of decent size fish. I don't think they are all gone, one just has to be able to hunt and find. Thanks again for this thread and the posts, there are a few of us that do like to fish.

as you mention, thai boats to slow for you, so the other question springs in again, what is your budget.

rompin is a good spot, but i believe you have to bring your own tackle.

not to much night life, but good food.

I've dabbled in it. Koh Tao was my best paid experience in Thailand. We caught fish doing day trips but not many - 2 or 3 per person would be a good day and that was 7 years ago. The fish were up to 2 kilos each and trevally or similar. Phuket is all fished out. They'll take you out for the day and you might get 2 or 3 baby tuna while they hide in the lee of an island to escape the wind. There are some Burma Banks charters out of Ranong. They only go in high season - Nov through Mar. It costs 24,000 or so per person for 5 days and you can expect 100 kilos of fish or more per person. These can be hard to book as the boats often fill with a group of friends and no room for outsiders. There is some fishing out of Samui but I've not tried it. Judging by the response here the sport must be more popular with Thais than farang. Oh, and I just remembered it is supposed to be good out of Satun - just what I heard, not tried yet.

Yes from Satun go to Koh Lipe. Good fishing and a nice place to stay. Season Nov-April

Budget is going to vary, long story-waiting an appeal decision that can go many ways by Veterans Affairs. If I'm able to go at all my budget will be mid range. I'll be able to afford up to 300 USD a day, maybe a bit more, for a couple of days, no 1,000 USD for me for fishing. I've got good tackle, need to add spinning gear for popping, jigging etc. I'll have that. I have good Okuma lever drag with about 400 yds. 50 lb. braid, small level wind reels Shimano and Okuma with about 400 yds. 30/40 lb. braid, one piece rods to match, + Okuma jigging rod. Lighter 2 piece rods for smaller fish. Pain in the butt flying with those rods. I get a lot of joking comments about having an RPG, rod case. I'd never make it in the door of an airport in the US without getting shot. A couple of days will satisfy me if there is no 'nightlife' available.

The outfit we used is: http://rompinbluesailsfishing.com/

I'm sure there must be other species around, but we didn't encounter anything else over 2 days. I've caught Spanish mack & mahi-mahi (& of course bonito) off Tioman, so imagine these must be available off Rompin too. While we saw many Sails finning, & caught a decent number, it's nothing like the fishing off, say, Cairns, where, on a decent day you'll see loads of surface action created by a large number of species, & the birds to go with it.....but, the price is a bit different too!

In response to the post below yours, this particular company doesn't require you to bring your own gear, & in fact supplies decent-quality tackle (or at least used to).....