My new refrigerator does not have a compressor fan

I bought a new Toshiba Western size fridge. GR-41KD. I looked in the back and it doesn't have a fan by the compressor and it is making the kitchen hot. It has been an age since I have bought a full size refrigerator; don't they have fans to cool the compressor anymore?

I put a small fan behind the unit and now it seems to run cooler but the wife thinks I'm nuts. Is she right (about the refrigerator).

post-187908-0-85620600-1404018498_thumb.

I believe your wife is right on both accounts.

I got a full size fridge and I dont see a fan on the compressor (but the back is closed).

Anyway its normal for a fridge to make the kitchen hotter, the process of cooling will generate heat somewhere else. Cooling is always heat transfer.

• Like 1

A refrigerator normally will not have one as the heat exchanger is not outdoors like an air conditioning unit. With or without a fan you still will have the same amount of heat generated in the room. The fan will simply move the heat around. Perfectly normal to have heat coming from the refrigerator as it is in a closed environment and no where else to send it. If frost free, then you will have additional heat coming from the side panels of the refrigerator as the defrost heater cycles on and off.

Even my 16 year old frig has no compressor/heat exchanger fan. The only fans are the internal ones for the freezer and main compartment to circulate the cool air.

• Like 1

The whole principle of refrigeration it to transfer heat from one place to another. The refer is removing heat from inside the box and moving to the outside.

It doesn't matter if the heat is removed from the outside by a fan, it is still fully transferred into the room.

The only question I would have is that without a fan pushing the heat out into the room, would the outside of the box get warm enough to put undo expectations on the box's insulation, and allow heat to soak back through the walls to the inside.

Because Toshiba has very good engineers, one would hope that they know what they are doing. Still if it was my box and the outside was getting too hot, I'd be tempted to put a small fan back there to push the heat away from the box faster.

But then, I'm not nearly as smart as Toshiba's engineers.

• Like 2

Our two year old Samsung has the heat exchanger built into the right side of the refrigerator so that side always feels quite warm. No fan, but the darn sealed compressor is quite noisy.

I am used to seeing a little fan #2 in the photo but maybe that is old fashioned.

You can still find units like that, but the fan and coiled heat exchanger have been replaced in more modern units. Heat exchangers these days can be a stamped metal assembly that makes up the side of the fridge. Seems a bit strange to have the cold contents separated by just an inch of styrofoam from the hottest part of the system, but it started with freezers and now fridges use the same concept. I would think the old system would be more efficient but manufacturing cost drives a lot of these decisions. Heck, our Samsung did not even come with a grounded power cord and had to add a grounding wire myself.

I am used to seeing a little fan #2 in the photo but maybe that is old fashioned.

You can still find units like that, but the fan and coiled heat exchanger have been replaced in more modern units. Heat exchangers these days can be a stamped metal assembly that makes up the side of the fridge. Seems a bit strange to have the cold contents separated by just an inch of styrofoam from the hottest part of the system, but it started with freezers and now fridges use the same concept. I would think the old system would be more efficient but manufacturing cost drives a lot of these decisions. Heck, our Samsung did not even come with a grounded power cord and had to add a grounding wire myself.

Thank you that makes sense. I was wondering if Toshiba just forgot to put a fan in my fridge. I bought a desk fan and put it behind the fridge and now the sides of the unit are cool. This makes me feel better. I don't know if I have improved anything but I do feel better about the whole thing. I also bought a new motorcycle helmet today that has movable vents and a sunshade that comes down when you press a button. Which has nothing to do with anything except now my head and my refrigerator are cooler.

• Like 1

A refrigerator normally will not have one as the heat exchanger is not outdoors like an air conditioning unit. With or without a fan you still will have the same amount of heat generated in the room. The fan will simply move the heat around. Perfectly normal to have heat coming from the refrigerator as it is in a closed environment and no where else to send it. If frost free, then you will have additional heat coming from the side panels of the refrigerator as the defrost heater cycles on and off.

Even my 16 year old frig has no compressor/heat exchanger fan. The only fans are the internal ones for the freezer and main compartment to circulate the cool air.

only a decade ago most American made big fridges used to have small condensers equipped with fans which also cooled the compressors. can't judge whether this method or the method having big heatexchange areas naturally cooled/ventilated is more energy efficient.

This would no be allowed in most western countries, so why does Samsung and others try and cut costs by not using the standard 3-core cable, which would allow the fridge to be earthed when plugged in.,

I notice that large retailers continue to sell domestic appliances with a plug that will not be earthed on anything I've seen in Thailand. It has a hole in the plug, where presumably an earthed pin could be fitted. Can't imagine most users here doing that.

As most new buildings seem to have standardised on the 'Thai only" outlet, amazing that retailers don't follow this.

post-111567-0-43458200-1404058342.jpg

post-111567-0-32340400-1404058351.jpg

The fridge fans are not for cooling the compressor, but for cooling the condenser (heat-exchanger)

Our commercial refrigerator has a way larger condenser than the home-fridges and a fan (similar to the picture).

IB-Tecumseh-Celseon-WEB.jpg

The (low power) home fridges usually don't have a heat exchanger like the commercial ones and therefore no need for a fan.

09a.jpg

I notice that large retailers continue to sell domestic appliances with a plug that will not be earthed on anything I've seen in Thailand

I guess that 90% (or more) houses and condos are not even grounded.

Except maybe the newer commercial buildings.

It has a hole in the plug, where presumably an earthed pin could be fitted. Can't imagine most users here doing that.

If you're referring to the left plug, I can assure you there is nothing wrong with it.wink.png

This is a so called "Schuko" Plug, usually used in Europe, which establishes protective-earth connection through the earth clips (red)

Unfortunately, the earth clips are absolutely useless, if you don't have a matching socket....

post-158247-0-54277600-1404073449_thumb.

Edited by Turkleton

• 3 weeks later...

My Sharp does not have a grounding plug.

Assume it does not need one.

Almost silent by the way.

• 2 weeks later...

You are probably all wondering what I ended up doing. I bought three fans. The first one died in four hours (it was a small household fan). The second one (personal fan from Home Pro) was so pretty and quiet and efficient that my wife took it to work in case the AC malfunctioned in her office. The third is pictured below and is working well.

post-187908-0-13518100-1406642903_thumb.

• Like 1

^^

These fans are usually not designed for continuous operation, so I wonder how long it will last.

Additionally, due to the fan-design, I would guess your fan is build to "suck out" warm air from a case or similar, not to blow air...but I may be wrong.whistling.gif

Also your refrigerator, like every non commercial one, is designed to run without any additional fans.

Useless, and a potential source of error too...imho.

PS: But IF you really, really want to tinker with this fan, I would avoid to operate it independent from the fridge.

Connect it at least to the compressor's power supply, so it won't run endless.

Edited by Turkleton
  • Like 1

^^

These fans are usually not designed for continuous operation, so I wonder how long it will last.

Additionally, due to the fan-design, I would guess your fan is build to "suck out" warm air from a case or similar, not to blow air...but I may be wrong.whistling.gif

Also your refrigerator, like every non commercial one, is designed to run without any additional fans.

Useless, and a potential source of error too...imho.

PS: But IF you really, really want to tinker with this fan, I would avoid to operate it independent from the fridge.

Connect it at least to the compressor's power supply, so it won't run endless.

Thinking like a refrigerator design engineer I imagine the unit was designed to function optimally in a particular temperature range. I doubt that all refrigerators were designed to be used daily in the tropics. So my fan is attempting to duplicate the temperatures in a less tropic zone. I've got the fan on a timer and it only runs in the hottest parts of the day and is off all night.

• Like 1

I reckon the deletion of the earth wire would be from the thinking it's notneeded, as there's no big metal framed motor needing Earthing.

The compressor itself is a sealed unit, double insulated, so now with the subject fridge, there's no mixing of Earthed and Unearthed 'black boxes inside.

Saw the same, but smaller, 2 wire installation in my old Gorenje. It had no compressor at all!! - let alone a fan!! Best fridge I ever had...

Edited by tifino

I reckon the deletion of the earth wire would be from the thinking it's notneeded, as there's no big metal framed motor needing Earthing.

The compressor itself is a sealed unit, double insulated, so now with the subject fridge, there's no mixing of Earthed and Unearthed 'black boxes inside.

Saw the same, but smaller, 2 wire installation in my old Gorenje. It had no compressor at all!! - let alone a fan!! Best fridge I ever had...

How did it cool with no compressor?

It all hinges around there being a small heating element, that gets the flow flowing around the pipes, using convection.

The same company uses(d?) the concept for running Fridges off 12 volts, and even from LPG (small flame instead of electric heating element)

Alas there's always something that wears out. After 10 years or so, the Electric heating filament burnt out, BUT it was easily replaced with a neat pre-packaged element unit.

I doubt that all refrigerators were designed to be used daily in the tropics....

Surely not all, but probably all refrigerators they sell here in the tropics wink.png

How did it cool with no compressor?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absorption_refrigerator

It is a Toshiba GR -R41KD. Do you think Toshiba makes two models of the same unit; one for Japan and another for Thailand?