Myanmar to launch online visa system for tourists

Myanmar to launch online visa system for tourists

000_Hkg9974027-wpcf_728x413.jpg

Myanmar plans to launch an online application system for tourist visas later this year, according to the Ministry of Immigration and Population, which announced on Friday that it was opening a tender for the project.

As tourist arrivals in Myanmar continue to grow, the ministry has received complaints about the difficulties and delays in applying for visas at embassies, according to MaungMaung Than, director-general of the Department of Immigration and National Registration.

“We’re considering the process of online visa applications, and we’re confident we can get it operating by September,” MaungMaung Than told The Irrawaddy, adding that non-tourist visas would not be available through the new system.

Visa fees will be paid online, he said, adding that the fees would be determined later by the operating company and the government.

According to a statement in state-run media, information and technology companies can submit proposals for the project until July 16.

Currently, tourists must apply for visas at embassies in their home countries. More processing time is required if an applicant lives in a country without a Burmese embassy. Long wait times are also common at the embassies in Thailand and China, which neighbor Burma and see a high number of applicants.

Tourists can stay in Burma for 28 days on a single visa. According to figures from the Ministry of Hotels and Tourism, more than 2 million tourists came to the country in 2013. The ministry expects more than 3 million tourists this year.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/myanmar-launch-online-visa-system-tourists/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=myanmar-launch-online-visa-system-tourists

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-06-29

The Burmese will start, the Laos will follow, then the Cambodians. In the mean time Thailand will still be debating how to correctly fill in an arrival card and continue stapling them in the passport causing damage to new chip passport most counties issue.

Cambodia already has a good online visa website.

Yesterday, at Swampy, my arrival card was handed back to me and was NOT stapled into my passport. First time

• Like 1

The Burmese will start, the Laos will follow, then the Cambodians. In the mean time Thailand will still be debating how to correctly fill in an arrival card and continue stapling them in the passport causing damage to new chip passport most counties issue.

You have been able to do your online tourist visa for Cambodia for over 2 years

cost you $10 more thou. http://evisa.mfaic.gov.kh/

The Burmese site has been around for ages but has never worked and now seems to b edown;

you can also use this site for the visa ( costs a bit more but ...) https://www.myanmarvisa.com/

Currently, tourists must apply for visas at embassies in their home countries. More processing time is required if an applicant lives in a country without a Burmese embassy. Long wait times are also common at the embassies in Thailand and China, which neighbor Burma and see a high number of applicants.

It will be difficult to apply for a visa at a Burmese embassy, as the country only has Myanmar embassies.

It is also incorrect that tourists have to apply in their home countries. I am European and have always only applied at the Myanmar embassy in Bangkok.

• Like 1

thaialnd is still in the stone age with visas and all the running around required

If you are referring to the Myanmar embassy in Thailand, there is no running around at all. Bring the required documents, hand them in, and pick up the visa on the day agreed. Straight forward.

The Burmese never started, and Myanmar will not be the first country. I have used online visas for Cambodia for years.

Slightly off-topic, but no Thai stapler has managed to damage the not-so-new-anymore chip in my passport. In fact, they staple onto the inside page where they put the stamp, not onto the cover with the chip... What makes you say that, I wonder.

Sent an email to the company setting up the online tourist visa system (as suspected it is the same company that set up the old one which never went live)

Asked them when the system was expected to be operational.

Response below:

Dear Sir/Madam,

EVisa system in our country is pending status. Now our country try to change their rules and policy. So we give a lots of time to get official launch date for EVisa. We don't know exactly official launch date. Now I would like to suggest that you should get your visa from one of the nearest Myanmar Embassy.

Best regards,

Myanmar Ease Net