BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
boomerangutang

What I'd like to see develop in Chiang Rai

While I am not inclined to join one of the OPs causes and don’t find his ethic slurs particularly endearing, I still think this is a discussion worth having. I am not talking about pushing an agenda, just discussing where we might like to see things go in Chiang Rai. There have been some very thoughtful comments so far.

We might go off on a tangent and inadvertently stumble upon something of interest. Not being authoritarian by nature, I am not inclined to dictate to others what they should do or how they should do it, and I don’t think rigid enforcement of rules is the answer to all our problems.

Still, by throwing ideas out there and talking in a civil manner, seeds may be planted and ideas might grow, though not necessarily what the OP would prefer.

On a personal note, the only thing I really miss about Bangkok is a really nice health club with squash courts and all the amenities. Pimann Inn just doesn’t cut it for me but I understand that for now the population base just wouldn’t support anything better.

I miss the excellent bus system in Bangkok. A bus or two to service the more trafficked routes might relieve traffic and parking congestion and would certainly provide me with some convenience. Buses with bike racks on the front?

It is anecdotal but early on in Thailand I climbed to the top of a waterfall/hill near Maekompong. The thing I remember most was I did not see a single bird/animal on the climb. I thought that was disturbing.

There can never be too many public parks but if the Thais are not going to use them, it will never happen.

I hate driving a car in Thailand for obvious reasons. MC sort of fun.smile.png .

WOW.

Someone puts up an interesting point of view (whether you agree with it or not) and gets slammed by some full of himself village idiot with nothing better to do.

Get a life.

Yes, the OP has put up an interesting point of view, but I think you are a bit unfair on the "village idiot". it is people like him who make a lot of topics here on TV worth reading. Instead of being nasty to other posters, maybe you should get a life.

• Like 2

I vote for Deer ,or at least a wildlife sanctuary

Yes Dinosaur park/Tourist Attraction might work

• Like 1

I'm hoping for a Burger King. licklips.gif.pagespeed.ce.v-hsVd-Wpu.gif

They already have the best nam ngiao in Thailand. Cheaper and better for you.biggrin.png

I opened this thread hoping to see something interesting, but what I found was:

• A suggestion that Thai libraries should be like those in the US (would OP prefer books in Thai or Lanna or English?);

I was using the US example because that's what I'm familiar with (their libraries of 25 years ago). Planners do that all the time - using examples from other locales in a comparative way. Thai politicians do that daily. As for language, that's a rhetorical Q trying to be wry, and not worth answering.

• A request for more parks. I assume OP must be talking about the CR city area only; CR city is in effect a small conurbation in a huge natural park that stretches for hundreds of miles in every direction (yea even unto Laos and Burma); There are rice paddies and weed fields, and some forest-like areas. Most are private property, but still somewhat encroachable - be that as it may. In the OP, it doesn't state there are no semi-natural areas around town. The focus was instead on a potential city park site.
  • Hiking and biking trails. There must be at least several thousand already;
  • There are no virtually no designated bicycle or jogging trails in or outside of C.Rai city. If you know of any, let us know. Yes, there are roads and dirt trails, and some of which are ok. None of 'em preclude motorbikes (a virtual impossibility in Thailand). However, my primary point in the OP was there is mega potential for designated trails skirting the main river on both sides.
  • A creative centre for budding entrepreneurs. Would the OP be able to participate in such a centre using any of the indigenous spoken languages? Personally I believe creativity and entrepreneurialism are individual characteristics which are hard to legislate for; anyone with a real drive towards creativity or entrepreneurialism will find an outlet anyway. Having said that, some may recall that microfinance was made available a few years ago to support village-level initiatives, and quite a few have been successful;
  • Why bring in whether 'the OP be able to participate' and 'indigenous spoken languages' .....stuff? Why go off on tangents?
  • Wild animals. Hm, outside of the city in the many vast national parks there is a huge variety of wild animals, including bears and wild cats (any decent tour book or website will list them). It’s a myth that wild animals are “unafraid” of homo sapiens, or even of each other in most cases; and most of us would rightly be scared of many wild animals ;-)
  • please name a wild mammal which you've seen in any part of northern Thailand, other than rats, bats and a rare squirrel.

WOW.

Someone puts up an interesting point of view (whether you agree with it or not) and gets slammed by some full of himself village idiot with nothing better to do.

Get a life.

Yes, the OP has put up an interesting point of view, but I think you are a bit unfair on the "village idiot". it is people like him who make a lot of topics here on TV worth reading. Instead of being nasty to other posters, maybe you should get a life.

So, we have a critic (you) who doesn’t like another critic’s (NotJoeMama) criticism about another critic’s (VF) criticism about the OP, which is a criticism of CR.

This is getting critical (and confusing). xhuh.png.pagespeed.ic.6VcCaNwNXg.png

Can I add Taco Bell to my list? licklips.gif.pagespeed.ce.v-hsVd-Wpu.gif

WOW.

Get a life.

So, we have a critic (you) who doesn’t like another critic’s (NotJoeMama) criticism about another critic’s (VF) criticism about the OP, which is a criticism of CR.

This is getting critical (and confusing). xhuh.png.pagespeed.ic.6VcCaNwNXg.png

Can I add Taco Bell to my list? licklips.gif.pagespeed.ce.v-hsVd-Wpu.gif

Who is Taco Bell? Anyway, I just hate keyboard warriors, referring to a poster as a "village idiot" is just plain nasty.

Sounds like a personal problem. We're trying to improve CR. If you don't know what a Taco Bell is, you're not going to be much help.

There used to be a Burger King in Chiang Rai and the cheap charlies refused to support it. Won't be long until you can a world class burger again at the coming up Doi Hang Fishing Park, bar, hot sandwiches and pies 3 days per week (Fri., Sat. and Sun.)

The introduction of deer would be greatly appreciated by the locals. Most of them still remember when there were deer in these parts. and they would love to eat them again. Monkeys? Horrible things. I am happy we don't have to deal with those thieving creatures around here. I have had several conflicts with monkeys in different places, I really dislike them. They are funny in movies only.

Your inner city ideas are good though. Like most places in Thailand Chiang rai really could be improved with some natural areas in the inner city.

Libraries probably would n't fly, but a more high tech approach, some kind of interactive learning center would be great.

Dinosaurs. Well if they were here you would likely know about it. They are a natural tourist attraction and someone would be profiting from it by now. I have never come across any fossils up here and I live in the bush.

Lots of raptors up where I live. we have a few types of owls, some small hawks, and occasional some bigger ones.

A proper hiking trail would be a good tourist draw. There a millions of trails here, but they dead end in most cases. A decently maintained trail running past a few villages would be appreciated by tourists that want to get out and be in real Thailand for a while. Be prepared to see it become a trail for Honda waves early on though.

After the ice cream you could have left the car at Big C and walked across the overpass and burnt up some calories. Then you could have eaten another one at Central (and I guess one at BigC again when you walked back).

WOW.

Get a life.

Thank you for risking the wrath of other posters on this forum by supporting my right to an opinion.
After waiting more than eight hours for someone to say something, I finally took it upon myself to start off the discussion, by offering my slightly different point of view. Right on cue some people tried to turn it into a referendum on me.
Fortunately more reasonable people joined in with their varying points of view. I don’t see this as a black/white, right/wrong sort of topic. We all have different opinions on Chiang Rai based on our own background or bias and depending on how and where we live.
The Op argues that the things he wants would improve quality of life and be a big boost for tourism but with the majority of tourists being the very Asians he blames for the present state of affairs, it sounds more personal than probable to me. I would be happy to be wrong but I can't see any of those things happening.
  • Like 2

The Op put his point of view on the line. And he didn't take it personal or get defensive when some of his ideas were shot down.

I think it is admirable that he wants to improve the place we live.

But, we could probably do with a little less persecution complex in the peanut gallery.

• Like 2