BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
boomerangutang

What I'd like to see develop in Chiang Rai

Some of us came here for what it is not what someone has a vision of.

What does that mean? Is it just contrarian for the sake of being contrarian?

You're welcome to articulate.

All the nature and human interest things are nice. However, I would like to see the army force the Chiang Rai Police to enforce traffic laws and control the traffic. You never see a policeman doing any of this. The traffic is getting worse by the day. On Sunday on the back road to the mall it was backed up for 1 hour.

They never stop building new bridges that are not needed. Would like to see a major effort to fill the road potholes and

switch from using cold patch tar and gravel to cement. The cold patch lasts for about 2 months.

People hate to go to the city because you can never find a place to park. The spaces are mostly taken up by employees of the business. If they would raise the parking rate to 25 Baht per hour for sure you could find a place to park.

Double parking on both sides of the roads makes it near impossible to pass so you have to stop and wait for a clearing. Why the police won't control the parking is far beyond me other than you never see them doing anything.

The current rate of population increase in Chiang Rai with 1 million Chinese across the river requires city planning, police work and citizens observing the rules of the road and laws. Running red lights, not stopping at stop signs and pulling out into a road without looking is a major cause of accidents.

These things are extremely important to the rapid growth of the population of Chiang Rai.

Minimum wage here is 33 baht per hour. You want the parking rate to be 75% of that wage? Never fly.

I agree traffic and driving needs to improve, but way off the OP's subject.

don have you not learned,never go into town on weekends,central and big c are the worst,car parks full,checkout desks unmaned,chaos!!!i do my shopping weekdays but even then its getting overcrowded,multi story carparks needed.

If I choose to see Chiang Rai through rose-colored glasses, I can. Do they sell those glasses at the Tachilek tourist market? I can write a long list of things I like about Chiang Rai. I first saw the city a third of a century ago. Obviously a lot's changed since then.

The OP is one person's suggestions for improvements, that's all. Some agree, some don't agree. Some have ideas for improvements, others don't want anything to change. So be it. There are times when I go to get a bite to eat, and white rice with ketchup suffices. Other times I want something a bit more special.

All of us reading this can choose a variation of the attitude: Somewhere between 'all is fine, let's not change anything,' ....or 'suggest improvements, however unrealistic.' ....or somewhere in between. Many married couples (and all sorts of others) are stuck in such ruts, where everything one partner says is immediately dismissed by the other. To be contrarian is easy. I first learned that when I was 3 years old.

It's also easy to be agreeable, particularly with people we're familiar with, and/or with people we feel are oppressed. It's mainly a matter of choosing which track to take.

I know farang in C.Rai who actively avoid hanging out with farang. Why? Mainly because they're annoyed by anything other farang do or say (reflective familiarity irks them?). Those same farang (who avoid farang) have no problem hanging out with Thais. The reason for that (tolerating anything dished out by Thais) is more complicated, but has to do with tolerance for people who are different enough that there's no psychological conflict. No competition. No reflection of cultural familiarities. Sorry to get off on weird psychological tangents. However, farang who avoid farang are suicide risks, among other things.

There's the story of a court jester. He's entertaining royalty by telling how God exists and how great He is. After the smiles and applause die down, the jester pipes up and says, "I can just as convincingly describe how God doesn't exist." Frowns all around.

• Like 2

I think it is great that you started this thread, Boomer. Though it is clear we will never get this diverse conglomeration of individuals to agree on anything, it is still good to sit down and discuss things, devoid of the winner takes all attitude.

It is okay for people to be located at different points along the continuum you suggest. I think it is okay to prefer the company of some individuals over others, while avoiding those one finds unpleasant for whatever reason.

Some people are more accepting of the differences in others while some feel the need to either crush or denigrate those who don’t agree with them. That just seems to be human nature.

Please don’t be too put off by the fact that not everyone agrees with you. You still did us a service by starting the discussion.

• Like 1

You have to out of your mind to go near The Mall or Big C on Saturday and Sunday. I had to go to Home Pro to buy materials for my contractor to use on the following Monday. You better believe that I will not inflict this level of punishment on myself again.

There is little or no hope of ever having any traffic control in Chiang Rai unless the army forces the police out on the streets. Bloody amazing. I bought the place I live in Doi Hang 10 years ago and you would not see a car come by every 30 minutes. Now the road is like a freeway filled with potholes.

• Like 1

I think it is great that you started this thread, Boomer. Though it is clear we will never get this diverse conglomeration of individuals to agree on anything, it is still good to sit down and discuss things, devoid of the winner takes all attitude.
It is okay for people to be located at different points along the continuum you suggest. I think it is okay to prefer the company of some individuals over others, while avoiding those one finds unpleasant for whatever reason.
Some people are more accepting of the differences in others while some feel the need to either crush or denigrate those who don’t agree with them. That just seems to be human nature.
Please don’t be too put off by the fact that not everyone agrees with you. You still did us a service by starting the discussion.

In your first post, you shot down all his ideas. cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif

I can't find an emoticon for flip-flopping. Can I borrow your avatar? smile.png

edit: spelling

Edited by rijb
  • Like 1

I still don't agree with him but I don't see anything wrong with talking in a civil manner with those one disagrees with. Sorry if that concept is foreign to you.rolleyes.gif

I still don't agree with him but I don't see anything wrong with talking in a civil manner with those one disagrees with. Sorry if that concept is foreign to you.rolleyes.gif

On the contrary. I'm a student of many concepts, especially humor. smile.png

• Like 1

On the contrary. I'm a student of many concepts, especially humor. smile.png

Unfortunately you are not very funny.blink.png