Confirmed: Visa run crackdown effective from August 12, 2014: Thai Foreign Ministry

Wow, the panic and worry is setting in . . . time for you guys to get legal and get a proper visa to run your (online) business on whilst you are here . . . thumbsup.gif
What is the legal and proper visa for running an online business?
non-immigrant B plus work permit.
Is it possible to get a work permit for an online business?

Yup, register a company here, follow the rules for employees, capital, taxes etc. Same as I and many others have done for years.

The guy is asking if it is possible to get a WP for an online business, your answer is "Yes but you have to create a brick and mortar business first".
You may be a sucessful entrepreneur but your reading and logic skills could be improved... : D

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 DAYS AT THE THAI BORDER AND THATS YOUR LOT!!!

It has been announced today to our visa run Agents that from today the 1st July 2014 all Nationalities who enter Thailand on a free visa on arrival e.g. 30 days standard if they wish to travel to the Thai border and return by land you will only be stamped 7 days, not 15 or 30 days like they did previously 7 DAYS AND THAT IS IT.

It has also been announced once you have been to the Thai border by land and had one lot of 7 days you cannot cross the border again if you wish to stay longer then you have to travel outside of Thailand to a Thai Consulate to obtain a Thai tourist visa or something similar and the you can return to Thailand on a visa type.

The only exemptions at the Thai border are people with Non Immigrant visas multiple entry and double or triple entry tourist visas obtained overseas or from a Thai consulate around Thailand.

http://www.keyvisathailand.com/category/news/

Friend of mine is coming to T/L next week for 10 weeks - she has a single entry tourist visa, and is planning to spend around one month here, then visit VN and return across Cambodia by land back to T/L, spending the last couple of weeks here.

From the above post - Am I to understand that will she now be restricted to just 7 days here before she flies home..?

I think I'm as close as you can get for a having a visa as such required by the OP.

I am now a Non-O (Full Time) + WP (Volunteering) + Extended yearly extension visa. And I work an hour a week, online.

Didn't know it existed, till recently.

Checked my earlier post relating to how I got it.

Edited by Bangkok45

It has been announced today to our visa run Agents that from today the 1st July 2014 all Nationalities who enter Thailand on a free visa on arrival e.g. 30 days standard if they wish to travel to the Thai border and return by land you will only be stamped 7 days, not 15 or 30 days like they did previously 7 DAYS AND THAT IS IT.

It has also been announced once you have been to the Thai border by land and had one lot of 7 days you cannot cross the border again if you wish to stay longer then you have to travel outside of Thailand to a Thai Consulate to obtain a Thai tourist visa or something similar and the you can return to Thailand on a visa type.

The only exemptions at the Thai border are people with Non Immigrant visas multiple entry and double or triple entry tourist visas obtained overseas or from a Thai consulate around Thailand.

Friend of mine is coming to T/L next week for 10 weeks - she has a single entry tourist visa, and is planning to spend around one month here, then visit VN and return across Cambodia by land back to T/L, spending the last couple of weeks here.

From the above post - Am I to understand that will she now be restricted to just 7 days here before she flies home..?

That post doesn't infer that, because she will have exited Thailand 4 weeks prior to reapplying.

A border runner makes a token exit, walk over walk back, just to deal with the stamp formalities.

To be safe your friend should apply at a consulate (Cambodia?) rather than the border. If typical SE backpacker with proof of return flight, only one reissue after 4 weeks out, I think should be OK.

Edit: on 2nd thoughts the visa free tourist entry would have to be at border/airport.

Edited by harrycallahan

I think I'm as close as you can get for a having a visa as such required by the OP.

I am now a Non-O (Full Time) + WP (Volunteering) + Extended yearly extension visa. And I work an hour a week, online.

But as a volunteer you dont actually get paid for your online efforts, right ? I mean its fantastic that you got the WP but it may not be precisely what some here are intent on sorting out.

That is only for those leaving the country and turning around and re-entering the country. She will not have a problem with getting her entry.

• Like 2

A Non-Immigrant O type visa is for either retirement or marriage and a number of other categories - that's what the "O" stands for - OTHER.

That kind of visa can only be ISSUED at a Thai consulate or Embassy, meaning outside Thailand.

A Non-Immigrant visa can only be EXTENDED by the Immigration Department inside Thailand, and the TYPE of Non-Immigrant O visa will be defined by the extension category for which you apply and are granted the extension. This is where it becomes a Marriage Visa, or say a Retirement Visa etc.

This kind of visa is completely different from the ones mentioned above, and which are the subject of the letter.

If a 90 day non immigrant O can only be issued outside of Thailand, then several posters have been misled. I was told that I could convert a current Tourist Visa (that had at least 21 days remaining on it) to a 90 day non immigrant O visa, at the immigration office in Bangkok. After conversion, one may then get a one year extension, based on retirement.

Correct me if I am wrong. I am actually looking for confirmation that I can do a tourist to non O i(90 day) in Bangkok.

There are several posts on TV that confirm this.

An OA Visa, however, must be done outside of Thailand. This one is a different animal. In fact, immigration at Udon Thani said the OA Visa (Retirement) must be done in my home country.

"An OA Visa, however, must be done outside of Thailand" ... 'Research Extension of Stay' which is done at a local Thai Immigration office... net result is about the same - but the terminology is different. It is a pain in the behind - but learning the correct terminology when dealing with Thai Visa / Immigration law is critical... It took me months to get it all figured out thanks to knowledgeable people here on TVF. A Visa is not an Extension of Stay and vice versa ... but one must have some type of Visa before an Extension of Stay can be issued... To some it is simple and straightforward but for others like me - it is constant confusion. And some might even take issue about how I have explained it ... but I am close...

But as a volunteer you dont actually get paid for your online efforts, right ? I mean its fantastic that you got the WP but it may not be precisely what some here are intent on sorting out.

Obviously! Thus, the operative word I used was "CLOSE".

NGO's here in fact, charged fees (call it what they may: administrative, service, cost..etc.) to volunteer in Thailand.

What everyone's trying to sort out now is, "How To Remain Here Legally"? In whatever ways they deemed feasible within the letter of the law.

Some saw corruption in the means of getting it, other's saw it as greasing wheels, I saw it as for Services Rendered.

A spade is a spade, agreed. Read between the lines of all the queries here. What it tells you? Enough said.

Sent from my iris405+ using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

That is only for those leaving the country and turning around and re-entering the country. She will not have a problem with getting her entry.

Thanks Joe, a straight answer, as always from you.

Now, if I wanted to make a short overland return crossing to Siem Reap, I'm assuming a re-entry permit to keep my retirement extension alive would be all that's required..

Edited by steve73

Thanks Joe, a straight answer, as always from you.

Now, if I wanted to make a short overland return crossing to Siem Reap, I'm assuming a re-entry permit to keep my retirement extension alive would be all that's required.

A single re-entry permit would be all you need. None of the changes will apply to re-entry permits.
  • Like 2

Yup, register a company here, follow the rules for employees, capital, taxes etc. Same as I and many others have done for years.

The guy is asking if it is possible to get a WP for an online business, your answer is "Yes but you have to create a brick and mortar business first".

You may be a sucessful entrepreneur but your reading and logic skills could be improved... : D

Not at all, no connection between employing staff and 'brick and mortar vs online'.

Sure, you just have to meet the requirements for both business startup and workpermit application.

Complete BS, those requirements are incompatible with any online business.

It is impossible to get a work permit for an online business without breaking the law ( hiring phoney employees, or getting WP through phoney companies, etc).

If you think I'm wrong, give an example of ONE person, on thaivisa or IRL, working legally online in thailand.

The online business just has to hire people. If the 'enterpreneur' doesn't want to do that, his choice. Consequence of that choice is he is working illegally, which can also have consequences.

But operating legally sure is possible, just a matter of choices made.

A 1-foreigner 'brick and mortar company' can not operate legally, why would a 1-foreigner online company be any different?

Edited by stevenl

Wow, the panic and worry is setting in . . . time for you guys to get legal and get a proper visa to run your (online) business on whilst you are here . . . thumbsup.gif
What is the legal and proper visa for running an online business?

Nothing wrong with my reading or logic skills and I'm not trying to find ways to bypass the laws in Thailand.

It's very simple, please try to follow ... there is no distinction between online or a physical business in terms of being legal and having WP etc. If you want to be legal here, you MUST have the business registered.

You can keep complaining about it and trying to find loopholes, but that's the way it is.

Be legal and do it properly, or don't ... I don't give a <deleted>. I don't want to hear it tho when you get busted for working illegally, not paying taxes or not having a WP when they catch you and your only defense is that "I'm working online so that doesn't count". It does count.

If that was your point, just say so, in stead of asking questions you know the answer to already.

Yes, working legally for online businesses is possible. Many don't do that now, and that won't change, except it will be more difficult for them. Makes sense though doesn't it, making life for people acting illegal more difficult?

Whether you, me or anybody else feels that what they are doing now should be facilitated is completely immaterial. If the people responsible for this feel so, they will reverse this decision (which was made way before the coup BTW), but at the moment that does not look likely.

What people are doing now is crying out 'life here is so unfair', when they already knew it was unfair when they started it here. This is the same behaviour the beach encroachers on Phuket, who are now being evicted, are demonstrating 'we have been here for many years so should be allowed to stay/ compensated, etc'. No. You were illegal, knew it, and have been (able to) getting away with it for a long time. So the government has no reason at all to be nice now.

BTW, I would just wait and see and not panick yet, these things tend to change quickly here once implemented.

I'm not personally panicking as I'm here on a non-im B + work permit. However, in my opinion the current visa system in Thailand is broken and only functions at all because of the blind eye turned to various 'abuses', in the sense that, if and when all the loopholes are closed Thailand will become economically weaker and a noticeably worse place to live for Thais and non-Thais alike. Unless the visa/work permit system is reformed that is, which may happen.

Based on what facts? Do you know how much visa abusers contribute to the Thai economy?

All the changes that Thailand needs to make in order to get back on the developing nation path are going to be painful. Will a bunch of expats being forced to get legit visas or leave have some impact? Sure. A lot of bars and restaurants catering to expats might close. While it may impact things like Thai's renting to expats, I'm sure the slack demand will be absorbed fairly quickly as Thailand's RE market is already somewhat overheated. If they were living and working in Thailand illegally, chances are it will be a insignificant blip on tax revenues.

So, what is really the downside? It's not like you're scaring off real tourists. It's not hurting the people with legit visas, guys on expat packages involved in banking and legal, the really wealthy who can just create a sham business and get a work permit for themselves, etc. You're not hurting the executives of multi-national corporations setting up businesses in Thailand.

You're basically getting rid of a bunch of people living on fixed incomes or who are working illegally. Not exactly the desirable type to begin with (that's not a reflection on their character, just an economic reality). The rich expat living on tourist visas who is pumping tons of money into the Thai economy is a myth told my guys living on a fixed income or working illegally as a threat to what might happen. In fact, the same threat is used for everything. If the price of apartments keep going up, everyone is going to flee and crash the Thai economy. If they crack down on nightlife, the entire Thai economy is going to crash. If they change the visa requirements everyone in the world will cancel their travel plans and Thailand will sink into chaos. Blah, blah, blah. We've heard it all before and . . . it still hasn't happened.

There are a lot of teachers working illegally, even in big schools. Presumably the need for teaching in English is not met by the legal workforce. Also, it's not particularly controversial to suggest that economic protectionism as practised in Thailand is ultimately detrimental to a country's prosperity.

But are the needs met from those illegal so called teachers? Most of them are just people that are born in an English speaking country. And they would not be allowed to teach in any western country.

• Like 1

But no problem if you buy illegal visas then. Btw I have a legit visa.

Btw I have a legit visa.

But consider yourself an expert in the largely imaginary illegal visa buying market.

inside Thailand if you're over 50 and have an O visa it's possible to get a retirement visa without the 800k funds, I know people who have nowhere near the funds but get the visa through Chinese/Thai specialists ............

I'm legit

There are many people over 50 in Thailand with a retirement visa that have very little funds so it annoys me to hear all these experts harping on about how it won't affect them . I am here on a tourist visa , I arrived on a triple entry , went to Laos got a double entry and recently Hanoi with my Thai gf but would only be issued a single entry.

The thing that annoys me is I have a lot better finances than a lot of people on retirement visas but I'm not 50 for another 9 months so it's possible I will have to leave the country in August when my current visa ends.

Minimum they can have is 800k in the bank or 65k in monthly income. So they will be ok. You are just whining because you have 9 months left before you are 50........

But no problem if you buy illegal visas then. Btw I have a legit visa.

Btw I have a legit visa.

But consider yourself an expert in the largely imaginary illegal visa buying market.

inside Thailand if you're over 50 and have an O visa it's possible to get a retirement visa without the 800k funds, I know people who have nowhere near the funds but get the visa through Chinese/Thai specialists ............

I'm legit

There are many people over 50 in Thailand with a retirement visa that have very little funds so it annoys me to hear all these experts harping on about how it won't affect them . I am here on a tourist visa , I arrived on a triple entry , went to Laos got a double entry and recently Hanoi with my Thai gf but would only be issued a single entry.

The thing that annoys me is I have a lot better finances than a lot of people on retirement visas but I'm not 50 for another 9 months so it's possible I will have to leave the country in August when my current visa ends.

All the others have to wait until they where 50. And you complain that you can't get it when you are 49!!!

And your lame excuse for this is that you have more money than some of the 50+ people!!!!!

• Like 1

What about citizens of Laos, a country which has a reciprocal agreement with Thailand for 30-days visa free entry?

Hi....hope my questions get noticed after 12 pages of comments. Oh well, anyway. if any one can advise on my situation, would be much appreciated to help relieve stress!

I stay in Thailand in between my work contracts overseas on ships (all documented and signed as proof for immigration).

I usually work 2 - 3 months overseas and return to Thailand for a 1 month break on usual Tourist visa (NOT WORKING) or a 3 month break on Multi-entry tourist visa.

I pay for a room here even when I'm overseas working and it's here when I get back with a lot of my belongings in it. I enjoy Thai culture so much and staying here in my break and would like to look at longer term down the track E.g, B visa, Ed visa etc. But for now I have work contracts the same as above booked until March next year.

Yes, even though I have proof showing I'm not working in Thai and just having my breaks here(max 3 months), I am really concerned that I might not get back in with all the crackdowns. Maybe my current system of staying here will be denied.....sad

P

Hi....hope my questions get noticed after 12 pages of comments. Oh well, anyway. if any one can advise on my situation, would be much appreciated to help relieve stress!

I stay in Thailand in between my work contracts overseas on ships (all documented and signed as proof for immigration).

I usually work 2 - 3 months overseas and return to Thailand for a 1 month break on usual Tourist visa (NOT WORKING) or a 3 month break on Multi-entry tourist visa.

I pay for a room here even when I'm overseas working and it's here when I get back with a lot of my belongings in it. I enjoy Thai culture so much and staying here in my break and would like to look at longer term down the track E.g, B visa, Ed visa etc. But for now I have work contracts the same as above booked until March next year.

Yes, even though I have proof showing I'm not working in Thai and just having my breaks here(max 3 months), I am really concerned that I might not get back in with all the crackdowns. Maybe my current system of staying here will be denied.....sad

P

You're exactly the kind of tourist that Thailand wants and needs - you're certainly not the intended target of the crackdown and if they do inconvenience travellers like you, they'll fix it pretty quickly. Red flags that immigration officials will be looking for will be no time spent outside the country, no evidence of work outside the country, evidence of in-out visa runs. I would think your passport stamps and maybe some pay stubs / bank book would suffice. Other visas would be too much hassle - except maybe the elite card if you're wealthy.

P

You're exactly the kind of tourist that Thailand wants and needs - you're certainly not the intended target of the crackdown and if they do inconvenience travellers like you, they'll fix it pretty quickly. Red flags that immigration officials will be looking for will be no time spent outside the country, no evidence of work outside the country, evidence of in-out visa runs. I would think your passport stamps and maybe some pay stubs / bank book would suffice. Other visas would be too much hassle - except maybe the elite card if you're wealthy.

How strange,

I would say he is exactly the sort of person they don't want in Thailand.

Someone effectively living here (proof is the all year round condo) on a tourist VISA.

Tourists have a residence in another country (normally their home country), a residence they normally live in when not on holiday.

I can see the time coming when tourists are restricted to living in Thailand for 30 days or less in any one year.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

It has also been announced once you have been to the Thai border by land and had one lot of 7 days

One wonder what are "7 days" ?

you cannot cross the border again if you wish to stay longer then you have to travel outside of Thailand to a Thai Consulate to obtain a Thai tourist visa or something similar and the you can return to Thailand on a visa type.

"something similar" ?!? Is that like choosing shirts from the hanger ?

Really? So according to that, a single entry TR visa wouldn't be good. That, of course, is not the case.

This is only for the 30 day visa exemption or also on tourist visa's ?

Read above: "abusing the visa exemption scheme".

As mentioned many many times: Holders of valid visa are NOT targeted. Screening for these is done at the issuing consulate.

• Like 1

P

I was almost in the same situation you are in now. Not illegal but not illegal either.

I am here to research and eventually, make a decision if to call Thailand home.

Apart from the many 'armchair pundits' and 'lab rats' who are either passing remarks from their 'moral high horses', or from 'dinghy apartments'. I would rather give an option, if not the most perfect solution.

Sorry, for my digressions. Anyway, like you albeit with different circumstances. I for years have been those "pointed" out as those that contributed to these recent 'crackdown'. In other words, had been doing all those border runs and TV's just so I can be here.

I do not need to work nor interested to run a business here. Enough to show that I do not have to work another day in my life. But still, according to the letter of the law I am abusing the system. Agreed!

Had been relying on advises from the likes of the esteemed Ubonjoe to circumnavigate my at times distressing situation.

I am 4 years short of being able to be on Non-(OA) to safely be retired. Thus when I was made aware of the option of taking up the Elite Visa, I had already made a decision to so it.

Then I met a friend who has been volunteering here for the pass 5 years and on a valid visa. I couldn't do that but nonetheless, there's another option.

Options to choose from are always good, you agree. I made queries and visited some organisations and finally, got one that offers a (WP) for "full time" volunteering rendering myself as their account administrator for work that I can get done just punching numbers into a spreadsheet for 1 hr at home.

But in order to get this I have to somehow pay to grease some wheels. I was accused of supporting corruption in this forum by those 2 species of 'lowlife beings' that I had mentioned earlier.

But who cares! I got what I need and doing my part as a volunteer. My conscience are clear.

Thus, explore the 'Volunteer' option route as an alternative. You might have something to contribute from your experiences or skill sets that could benefit them.

I am sure there's something for you. Recently, at the place I volunteered, an American boy I met was designated to tabulate 'every day' affairs into a magazine for the year end issues that will be distributed to our benefactors and sponsors. He's on a journalist pass for a year. There's always an option, just ignore the pundits and the rats.

Just Google what you need to search for or PM me if you want.

Cheers

Edited by Bangkok45
  • Like 1

I dunno, but it looks to me like the General is not going to put up with law breaking anymore. Good on him I say.

Frankly, the advice George is suggesting are stopgap. That ED visa is probably the next loophole to be closed.

Do not approach your legal status in Thailand carelessly. If you do and get caught, don't blame it on bad advice from TVF and expect that to get you off the hook.

Each farang has individual circumstances, and need to make sure they abide by the law. Do your homework, and do not delude yourself that "Oh, that's my out", as far as your legal status.

Not to be uncaring, I understand the anxiety. But the situation has changed. Don't pretend to be a tourist if you're not.

• Like 1