Confirmed: Visa run crackdown effective from August 12, 2014: Thai Foreign Ministry

7 DAYS AT THE THAI BORDER AND THATS YOUR LOT!!!

It has been announced today to our visa run Agents that from today the 1st July 2014 all Nationalities who enter Thailand on a free visa on arrival e.g. 30 days standard if they wish to travel to the Thai border and return by land you will only be stamped 7 days, not 15 or 30 days like they did previously 7 DAYS AND THAT IS IT.

It has also been announced once you have been to the Thai border by land and had one lot of 7 days you cannot cross the border again if you wish to stay longer then you have to travel outside of Thailand to a Thai Consulate to obtain a Thai tourist visa or something similar and the you can return to Thailand on a visa type.

The only exemptions at the Thai border are people with Non Immigrant visas multiple entry and double or triple entry tourist visas obtained overseas or from a Thai consulate around Thailand.

http://www.keyvisathailand.com/category/news/

Friend of mine is coming to T/L next week for 10 weeks - she has a single entry tourist visa, and is planning to spend around one month here, then visit VN and return across Cambodia by land back to T/L, spending the last couple of weeks here.

From the above post - Am I to understand that will she now be restricted to just 7 days here before she flies home..?

That is only for those leaving the country and turning around and re-entering the country. She will not have a problem with getting her entry.

Thanks Joe, a straight answer, as always from you.

Now, if I wanted to make a short overland return crossing to Siem Reap, I'm assuming a re-entry permit to keep my retirement extension alive would be all that's required..

You are correct. Be sure and point out the visa and reentry permit to the immigration official when you stamp out at the border or the airport.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno, but it looks to me like the General is not going to put up with law breaking anymore. Good on him I say.

Frankly, the advice George is suggesting are stopgap. That ED visa is probably the next loophole to be closed.

Do not approach your legal status in Thailand carelessly. If you do and get caught, don't blame it on bad advice from TVF and expect that to get you off the hook.

Each farang has individual circumstances, and need to make sure they abide by the law. Do your homework, and do not delude yourself that "Oh, that's my out", as far as your legal status.

Not to be uncaring, I understand the anxiety. But the situation has changed. Don't pretend to be a tourist if you're not.

For one, it seems the General is busy with many things, but immigration by Westerners is not on hist list. Actually on the matter of immigration in general their stance is very reasonable:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/738597-foreign-affairs-ministry-thailand-is-not-cracking-down-on-cambodian-illegal-workers/

(of course, I will add, no crackdown will ever be seen against employers of illegal workers, as there is a limit to any good intention in Thailand)

Then about the ED visa, again you're wrong. It is good money for the state and for the schools, visa fees, border run, extension fees, and of course the many school business and jobs, plus the money that people will spend while in Thailand. It will not go away.

I dunno, but it looks to me like the General is not going to put up with law breaking anymore. Good on him I say.

Frankly, the advice George is suggesting are stopgap. That ED visa is probably the next loophole to be closed.

Do not approach your legal status in Thailand carelessly. If you do and get caught, don't blame it on bad advice from TVF and expect that to get you off the hook.

Each farang has individual circumstances, and need to make sure they abide by the law. Do your homework, and do not delude yourself that "Oh, that's my out", as far as your legal status.

Not to be uncaring, I understand the anxiety. But the situation has changed. Don't pretend to be a tourist if you're not.

The Ed visa is only a loophole if you dont learn anything relevant and I'm not surprised that Immigration want to confirm that people are actually attending classes - just not sure how those interviews will go if the applicant claims to have spent the last year learning Muay Thai and is sufficiently insane to want to go back for a second helping.

• Like 1

Without doubt, the most important posts in this section of TV are the trip reports.

That is because the experience at the different entry points may vary depending on the officer or local policy.

Thus, it would be much more helpful in this transition period if posters would limit their comments to trip reports of their first-hand experience, specifying when and where they entered the country and with what type of entry permit. And what kind of questions were asked by the Immo officer.

Only in that way can people see the overall picture of how the new regulation will be enforced.

Until then, find something useful to do with your life and stop all the trolling and bickering.

• Like 2

Hi....hope my questions get noticed after 12 pages of comments. Oh well, anyway. if any one can advise on my situation, would be much appreciated to help relieve stress!

I stay in Thailand in between my work contracts overseas on ships (all documented and signed as proof for immigration).

I usually work 2 - 3 months overseas and return to Thailand for a 1 month break on usual Tourist visa (NOT WORKING) or a 3 month break on Multi-entry tourist visa.

I pay for a room here even when I'm overseas working and it's here when I get back with a lot of my belongings in it. I enjoy Thai culture so much and staying here in my break and would like to look at longer term down the track E.g, B visa, Ed visa etc. But for now I have work contracts the same as above booked until March next year.

Yes, even though I have proof showing I'm not working in Thai and just having my breaks here(max 3 months), I am really concerned that I might not get back in with all the crackdowns. Maybe my current system of staying here will be denied.....sad

P

I was almost in the same situation you are in now. Not illegal but not illegal either.

I am here to research and eventually, make a decision if to call Thailand home.

Apart from the many 'armchair pundits' and 'lab rats' who are either passing remarks from their 'moral high horses', or from 'dinghy apartments'. I would rather give an option, if not the most perfect solution.

Sorry, for my digressions. Anyway, like you albeit with different circumstances. I for years have been those "pointed" out as those that contributed to these recent 'crackdown'. In other words, had been doing all those border runs and TV's just so I can be here.

I do not need to work nor interested to run a business here. Enough to show that I do not have to work another day in my life. But still, according to the letter of the law I am abusing the system. Agreed!

Had been relying on advises from the likes of the esteemed Ubonjoe to circumnavigate my at times distressing situation.

I am 4 years short of being able to be on Non-(OA) to safely be retired. Thus when I was made aware of the option of taking up the Elite Visa, I had already made a decision to so it.

Then I met a friend who has been volunteering here for the pass 5 years and on a valid visa. I couldn't do that but nonetheless, there's another option.

Options to choose from are always good, you agree. I made queries and visited some organisations and finally, got one that offers a (WP) for "full time" volunteering rendering myself as their account administrator for work that I can get done just punching numbers into a spreadsheet for 1 hr at home.

But in order to get this I have to somehow pay to grease some wheels. I was accused of supporting corruption in this forum by those 2 species of 'lowlife beings' that I had mentioned earlier.

But who cares! I got what I need and doing my part as a volunteer. My conscience are clear.

Thus, explore the 'Volunteer' option route as an alternative. You might have something to contribute from your experiences or skill sets that could benefit them.

I am sure there's something for you. Recently, at the place I volunteered, an American boy I met was designated to tabulate 'every day' affairs into a magazine for the year end issues that will be distributed to our benefactors and sponsors. He's on a journalist pass for a year. There's always an option, just ignore the pundits and the rats.

Just Google what you need to search for or PM me if you want.

Cheers

Yeah, right. Just Google a solution. If that doesn't work, contact any of the well known farang scammers, they are very reassuring I've been told. Grease some wheels. Or PM some guy on TVF. Sounds like good advice. You can do it.

I swear, you guys just don't get it. How about going back to your home country and explore "volunteer" options there instead? Thailand doesn't need you.

The Ed visa is only a loophole if you dont learn anything relevant and I'm not surprised that Immigration want to confirm that people are actually attending classes - just not sure how those interviews will go if the applicant claims to have spent the last year learning Muay Thai and is sufficiently insane to want to go back for a second helping.

According to dedicated websites, at present time only one training gym is accredited with MoE and can support a Muay Thai ED visa. I think the interview would go with the usual showing of videos on mobile devices :)

Here's another one that can cause a stroke to bickering aged TV majority. A lot of foreigner and -god forbid- Russians are here, fight for money but don't have WP and pay no taxes.

Have faith folks, the guy with many stars will fix that for you, as well as anything else!

Don't pretend to be a tourist if you're not.

As previously mentioned, you have to be careful using such a strict definition of tourist as someone who wishes to have an extended (30 days plus) holiday (a holidaymaker) is required to obtain an appropriate visa for doing so, that visa is a tourist visa.

• Like 1

For the record, no visa ever expires. The period before which the entry must occur can pass,

You're playing with words. A period of time that has passed, has expired: to become null and void, to lapse

You're not doing a favor to anyone telling them that their "visa never expire".

I cant post any part of the article from a prominent English language newspaper based in the nation's capital (!) but they quoted a general as saying that the worst offenders in terms of people working illegally in Thailand were South Koreans, Russians and Vietnamese. No mention of Cambodians, Burmese or aging Farang in the entire article. So many of the points being debated ad nauseam in these threads were answered with surprising candor by the high ranking Immigration officers in that article but sadly I cant even link to it.

• Like 1

It has also been announced once you have been to the Thai border by land and had one lot of 7 days

One wonder what are "7 days" ?

you cannot cross the border again if you wish to stay longer then you have to travel outside of Thailand to a Thai Consulate to obtain a Thai tourist visa or something similar and the you can return to Thailand on a visa type.

"something similar" ?!? Is that like choosing shirts from the hanger ?

The only exemptions at the Thai border are people with Non Immigrant visas multiple entry and double or triple entry tourist visas obtained overseas or from a Thai consulate around Thailand.

Really? So according to that, a single entry TR visa wouldn't be good. That, of course, is not the case.

It was when doing a border/visa run and just cross the border and go back again. If you have a single TR it's already used and expired when doing your first border run

No, you are wrong. The ED visa is of no consequence to the economy.

Goodness! You simply amazed me.

Not only are you a pessimistic pundit who has to opined on a subject matter like he's the AVATAR of knowledge and experience.

You are a strategist and form assumptions like a seasoned economist, as well. Wow!

But it doesn't stop there. Your take on the General's decisions makes you a political scientist, too.

I am waiting for more, you are highly entertaining :)

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Can any please explain - or point me in the direction of a relevant thread, that would perhaps shed some light or clarify how this might affect those visiting spouses ( and not working) in Thailand?

For example - Joe arrives in Thailand on a tourist visa for 30 days, visits immigration and extends for another 60 days since he is visiting his spouse and children. At the end of this period, Joe must leave Thailand by air to a neighbouring country - and then returning the next day, would then re-enter Thailand on another 30 day tourist visa. Thus - Joe begins the cycle again... and possibly again - unless he returns to his homeland for a period of time for whatever reason. Under these new rules, will Joe be adversely affected?

No, you have it completely the wrong way round.

Joe enters Thailand on a single entry tourist visa for SIXTY days, then extends for the maximum of THIRTY days.

If you really have to ask the question in your last sentence, then you don't know your @rse from your elbow ...

Read again - what the OP appears to be saying (and it's not yet been made clear) is that there will be a crackdown on precisely what you got wrong - NO MORE back to back tourist visas, as well as NO MORE 30 day exemption stamps.

Erm - no excuse ME, Dullard - YOU have it the wrong way round. I - as the "Joe" have entered many times on a 30 day visa and have had it extended for another 60 due to being married to a Thai. YOU don't know MY arse from my elbow.

I cant post any part of the article from a prominent English language newspaper based in the nation's capital (!) but they quoted a general as saying that the worst offenders in terms of people working illegally in Thailand were South Koreans, Russians and Vietnamese. No mention of Cambodians, Burmese or aging Farang in the entire article. So many of the points being debated ad nauseam in these threads were answered with surprising candor by the high ranking Immigration officers in that article but sadly I cant even link to it.

And the job categories are - language teachers, restaurant owners and staff, real estate agents and tour guides.

I guess these are jobs that they feel Thai nationals could be doing instead. Mostly correctly, with the exception of language teachers which Thailand needs more of.

The Cambodians and Burmese are mainly doing jobs that the Thais aren't willing to. It's really a different class of illegal working.

The Farang? Well who knows what they are doing on their laptops, but clearly not stealing jobs from Thais. So not a priority.

The Korean thing has a tit-for-tat aspect to it, and there is some suggestion that the targeted nationalities may be disproportionately representative of the criminal classes.

The Korean thing has a tit-for-tat aspect to it, and there is some suggestion that the targeted nationalities may be disproportionately representative of the criminal classes.

I read somewhere on here that thousands of Thai's are refused entry to Korea every year while the number of Koreans refused entry to Thailand was something like 10 or 20 in total over the same time period.

I believe there is, at least there was a non o( others)

This was a 1 year visa issued to people who had a letter of invitation from a Thai .

Not sure if it still exist or issued, but this might be the only choices for those wanting to stay long term but under the retirement age.

Yes ED is still an option but I think they will start testing the skills

The days when getting a Non O for visiting Thai friends have long gone,

You need to be over 50 or married, but even then it isn't that straight forward.

yeh last i tried to get imm O in oz they said wern;t issuing them any more

And the job categories are - language teachers, restaurant owners and staff, real estate agents and tour guides.

I guess these are jobs that they feel Thai nationals could be doing instead. Mostly correctly, with the exception of language teachers which Thailand needs more of.

The Cambodians and Burmese are mainly doing jobs that the Thais aren't willing to. It's really a different class of illegal working.

The Farang? Well who knows what they are doing on their laptops, but clearly not stealing jobs from Thais. So not a priority.

Agreed, although there are no shortage of claims here that Thailand has 'thousands' of illegal Farang teachers - I'm not sure where these guys get their numbers. From the article it would appear that Thailand isnt happy about the number of Thais being kicked out of S Korea each year vs the number of Koreans they eject from Thailand - as you say, tit-for-tat. Perhaps they can discuss it at the next ASEAN meeting - some sort of reciprocal arrangement where they both agree to kick 5000 people a year out instead of 9000 on one side and 600 on the other ;)

non-immigrant B plus work permit.

Is it possible to get a work permit for an online business?

Sure, you just have to meet the requirements for both business startup and workpermit application.

Complete BS, those requirements are incompatible with any online business.

It is impossible to get a work permit for an online business without breaking the law ( hiring phoney employees, or getting WP through phoney companies, etc).

If you think I'm wrong, give an example of ONE person, on thaivisa or IRL, working legally online in thailand.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

The online business just has to hire people. If the 'enterpreneur' doesn't want to do that, his choice. Consequence of that choice is he is working illegally, which can also have consequences.

But operating legally sure is possible, just a matter of choices made.

A 1-foreigner 'brick and mortar company' can not operate legally, why would a 1-foreigner online company be any different?

You just have to hire people. Problem solved!

Life is simple when you see it that way.

No mention on what a writer, a blogger, a trader or programmer would do with useless staff.

Nothing about the fact that it is illegal to provide fake jobs just to comply with the law which is probably just as risky to do as to work online illegally.

I'm still waiting for the one example of an online legal worker in thailand. If it's possible as you claim, it should be easy to find.

• Like 1

Wow, the panic and worry is setting in . . . time for you guys to get legal and get a proper visa to run your (online) business on whilst you are here . . . thumbsup.gif
What is the legal and proper visa for running an online business?
non-immigrant B plus work permit.
Is it possible to get a work permit for an online business?

Yup, register a company here, follow the rules for employees, capital, taxes etc. Same as I and many others have done for years.

The guy is asking if it is possible to get a WP for an online business, your answer is "Yes but you have to create a brick and mortar business first".

You may be a sucessful entrepreneur but your reading and logic skills could be improved... : D

Nothing wrong with my reading or logic skills and I'm not trying to find ways to bypass the laws in Thailand.

It's very simple, please try to follow ... there is no distinction between online or a physical business in terms of being legal and having WP etc. If you want to be legal here, you MUST have the business registered.

You can keep complaining about it and trying to find loopholes, but that's the way it is.

Be legal and do it properly, or don't ... I don't give a . I don't want to hear it tho when you get busted for working illegally, not paying taxes or not having a WP when they catch you and your only defense is that "I'm working online so that doesn't count". It does count.

Well something must actually be wrong with your reading skills.

- I never said there was a distinction between online and physical business in terms of legal requirements

- I never complained about it.

- I never implied that "I'm working online so that doesn't count". Nice strawman.

I was just pointing the logical fallacy of your previous post. I'm trying to rephrase it for you. On answering on how to get a work permit for an online business, your answer was to follow the rules and requirements, which is equivalent to quitting the online business and starting a classic business totally different than the one originally intended!

Maybe it's the last part that you fail to comprehend. But it's not that hard to imagine that a, say a book writer, would have some difficulties to provide employement to 4 thais in order to comply wih the law.

• Like 1

I swear, you guys just don't get it. How about going back to your home country and explore "volunteer" options there instead? Thailand doesn't need you.

Are you there? I hope everything's fine. You didn't suffer a stroke did you??

All those hate would kill you. I am concerned if you would end up found decomposed in your room while TVF is on your screen still flickering...

• Like 2

For those affected by Thai crackdown easy solution is to move to other ASEAN countries. Malaysia for example gives 90 days free. Just make sure you get out before August 12 if your only option to get back in is a tourist visa.

This visa crackdown possibly political. Tougher immigration policy almost always helps politicians. It's used in many countries - race card. I hope farang get their visas sorted out. I have had Swedish friends tracked and hunted down by immigration police in Udon Thani. Immigration now are efficient at finding and arresting farang on overstay. Don't think it'll be easy to overstay. Those good ole days are over. Get your long stay visa or depart Thailand

Out of interest I am in the uk, I used to post my passport to the thai consulate in hull and obtain my visa very efficiently in a couple of days.

I have just been told there are now NO POSTAL applications anymore for visa . You must go in person, and if you require a NON IMM visa that has to go through london which can take 10 days and may be refused. A friend of mine had a paper missing so his app was refused.

Do you want to bother?

I spoke to my sister who was planning to come to thailand for Christmas but was told her travel insurance would no longer be valid.

She Cancelled and booked somewhere else to go.

Clamping down on visa regulations might be a good thing (its always popular with voters), BUT if might be prudent to WAIT until the tourist industry gets up off its knees before whacking it yet again. No doubt lots of people who would have come to thailand will just stay away because it feels like you're visiting Russia in the 1980"s...A bit scary!

My sympathies go out to thai people who run small business that are dependant on money from tourists ( Ah well its only 10% of the economy! )

Out of interest I am in the uk, I used to post my passport to the thai consulate in hull and obtain my visa very efficiently in a couple of days.

I have just been told there are now NO POSTAL applications anymore for visa . You must go in person, and if you require a NON IMM visa that has to go through london which can take 10 days and may be refused. A friend of mine had a paper missing so his app was refused.

Do you want to bother?

I spoke to my sister who was planning to come to thailand for Christmas but was told her travel insurance would no longer be valid.

She Cancelled and booked somewhere else to go.

Clamping down on visa regulations might be a good thing (its always popular with voters), BUT if might be prudent to WAIT until the tourist industry gets up off its knees before whacking it yet again. No doubt lots of people who would have come to thailand will just stay away because it feels like you're visiting Russia in the 1980"s...A bit scary!

My sympathies go out to thai people who run small business that are dependant on money from tourists ( Ah well its only 10% of the economy! )

Travel insurance has nothing to do with visas. All your sister has to do is find an insurance company that will cover her. Plenty will.

For those affected by Thai crackdown easy solution is to move to other ASEAN countries. Malaysia for example gives 90 days free. Just make sure you get out before August 12 if your only option to get back in is a tourist visa.

Perhaps easier for a Thai girlfriend/wife to get a visa in another Asean country than for you to do so here. But will they want to stay in the Philippines or Cambodia.....not mine. I am submitting to the new regulations and will obtain correct visas from now on. It was only on bad advice that I ever clung to the Tourist Visa/border run scenario. I would wake up one morning and just say to myself....how can I get this out of the way, quickly.

Perhaps easier for a Thai girlfriend/wife to get a visa in another Asean country than for you to do so here. But will they want to stay in the Philippines or Cambodia.....not mine. I am submitting to the new regulations and will obtain correct visas from now on. It was only on bad advice that I ever clung to the Tourist Visa/border run scenario. I would wake up one morning and just say to myself....how can I get this out of the way, quickly.

The REAL ultimate implication is that if someone is not yet at retirement age and/or has no work permit it is not possible to "live" in Thailand permanently with ANY visa (as I understand it). In ANY case it is 6 months in 1 year at best, and for the remaining period of the year it always means "Good Bye Thailand". Looks to me that whoever "settled" here "unofficially" will need to look for another place... BIG change, cold shock for many, I suspect...