Confirmed: Visa run crackdown effective from August 12, 2014: Thai Foreign Ministry

Out of interest I am in the uk, I used to post my passport to the thai consulate in hull and obtain my visa very efficiently in a couple of days.

I have just been told there are now NO POSTAL applications anymore for visa . You must go in person, and if you require a NON IMM visa that has to go through london which can take 10 days and may be refused. A friend of mine had a paper missing so his app was refused.

Do you want to bother?

I spoke to my sister who was planning to come to thailand for Christmas but was told her travel insurance would no longer be valid.

She Cancelled and booked somewhere else to go.

Clamping down on visa regulations might be a good thing (its always popular with voters), BUT if might be prudent to WAIT until the tourist industry gets up off its knees before whacking it yet again. No doubt lots of people who would have come to thailand will just stay away because it feels like you're visiting Russia in the 1980"s...A bit scary!

My sympathies go out to thai people who run small business that are dependant on money from tourists ( Ah well its only 10% of the economy! )

The no mail in applications to the consulates in the UK has been in effect since January. Mail in applications to the embassy in London has been allowed since the 2nd of January.

The approval for all multiple entry visas by the embassy started last year. Approval normally only takes 3 or 4 days according to reports I have seen.

The travel insurance problem is because because of marital law.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

non-immigrant B plus work permit.

Is it possible to get a work permit for an online business?

Sure, you just have to meet the requirements for both business startup and workpermit application.

Complete BS, those requirements are incompatible with any online business.

It is impossible to get a work permit for an online business without breaking the law ( hiring phoney employees, or getting WP through phoney companies, etc).

If you think I'm wrong, give an example of ONE person, on thaivisa or IRL, working legally online in thailand.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

The online business just has to hire people. If the 'enterpreneur' doesn't want to do that, his choice. Consequence of that choice is he is working illegally, which can also have consequences.

But operating legally sure is possible, just a matter of choices made.

A 1-foreigner 'brick and mortar company' can not operate legally, why would a 1-foreigner online company be any different?

You just have to hire people. Problem solved!

Life is simple when you see it that way.

No mention on what a writer, a blogger, a trader or programmer would do with useless staff.

Nothing about the fact that it is illegal to provide fake jobs just to comply with the law which is probably just as risky to do as to work online illegally.

I'm still waiting for the one example of an online legal worker in thailand. If it's possible as you claim, it should be easy to find.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

All me to pose this question, why should an on-line business be treated differently from a bricks and mortar type business ?.....its still a business being operated for profit

What on liners are asking for or demanding in some cases is a change in the Thai companies law and change in immigration/work permit laws

On suspects even in western countries where a lot of on liners come from, to be fully legal they have to register some for of legal entity to run a genuine on line business and be registered for tax etc, granted there would be no issues with immigration/WP issues because they are a citizen of said country

In Thailand there are no barriers to operating an on line business if your Thai.

Allow me to pose the same question I posed in another thread on this question and no one would answer

If Thai law required an on liner to register a Thb 1.0million limited company without the 4 x Thai national component, pay a 20% withholding tax, as income is earned out of Thailand and the on-liner was required to pay social security in Thailand and private medical insurance and in return they issued a WP and extension of stay would you say this was a fair solution ?

My money is on the vast majority of on liners saying this isn't fair and would not be prepared to do it, and they would still be bleating on its unfair, simply because I suspect large numbers of on liners are not operating businesses anyway and are doing what they are doing to blag a few bucks to support their lives in Thailand

Out of interest I am in the uk, I used to post my passport to the thai consulate in hull and obtain my visa very efficiently in a couple of days.

I have just been told there are now NO POSTAL applications anymore for visa . You must go in person, and if you require a NON IMM visa that has to go through london which can take 10 days and may be refused. A friend of mine had a paper missing so his app was refused.

Do you want to bother?

I spoke to my sister who was planning to come to thailand for Christmas but was told her travel insurance would no longer be valid.

She Cancelled and booked somewhere else to go.

Clamping down on visa regulations might be a good thing (its always popular with voters), BUT if might be prudent to WAIT until the tourist industry gets up off its knees before whacking it yet again. No doubt lots of people who would have come to thailand will just stay away because it feels like you're visiting Russia in the 1980"s...A bit scary!

My sympathies go out to thai people who run small business that are dependant on money from tourists ( Ah well its only 10% of the economy! )

My last policy was with TID - Travel Insurance Direct - and they made it crystal clear that the only incidents which would not be covered would be anything that was a direct result of the coup. Motorbike accident on Phuket - no problem - same as before the coup. Miss your plane because your driver was stopped by the military - forget about even lodging a claim. Commonsense stuff but I appreciated the way it was laid out in black and white - rare in that industry.

I could link you to the page but each insurance company should have its own rules and regulations and make it abundanty clear what they will and wont cover - your sister's insurance company clearly wanted to save itself the time and effort of dealing with anything which may be coup-related.

For those affected by Thai crackdown easy solution is to move to other ASEAN countries. Malaysia for example gives 90 days free. Just make sure you get out before August 12 if your only option to get back in is a tourist visa.

Perhaps easier for a Thai girlfriend/wife to get a visa in another Asean country than for you to do so here. But will they want to stay in the Philippines or Cambodia.....not mine. I am submitting to the new regulations and will obtain correct visas from now on. It was only on bad advice that I ever clung to the Tourist Visa/border run scenario. I would wake up one morning and just say to myself....how can I get this out of the way, quickly.

Excellent post that explains situation and appropriate action to stay in country in one paragraph. Too many here on TV trying to fight the reality of the new regulations coming into force August 12.
  • Like 1

For those affected by Thai crackdown easy solution is to move to other ASEAN countries. Malaysia for example gives 90 days free. Just make sure you get out before August 12 if your only option to get back in is a tourist visa.

Perhaps easier for a Thai girlfriend/wife to get a visa in another Asean country than for you to do so here. But will they want to stay in the Philippines or Cambodia.....not mine. I am submitting to the new regulations and will obtain correct visas from now on. It was only on bad advice that I ever clung to the Tourist Visa/border run scenario. I would wake up one morning and just say to myself....how can I get this out of the way, quickly.

The REAL ultimate implication is that if someone is not yet at retirement age and/or has no work permit it is not possible to "live" in Thailand permanently with ANY visa (as I understand it). In ANY case it is 6 months in 1 year at best, and for the remaining period of the year it always means "Good Bye Thailand". Looks to me that whoever "settled" here "unofficially" will need to look for another place... BIG change, cold shock for many, I suspect...

Brilliant post. Everyone has option for ED VISA if they can afford it, many English teachers can't especially those spending most of their meagre salary on Beer Chang, or can be bothered when in almost all other ASEAN countries it's just a matter of paying fee or even free. Will be interesting to see if this option open to the under 50s is closed because it is often abused to work illegally. Perhaps it's time to hire a furniture removal truck and head across an ASEAN border or return to your beloved homeland to avoid this visa crackdown. Inaction will be painful.

How does the Ministry of Foreign Affairs define Visa Runner? Is it just those who use mini vans with "visa run service" emblazoned on the side? They could state the maximum time allowed on exempt entry and tourist visas combined in one year to avoid people unnecessarily buying plane or train tickets. Time for the government to be precise so people are not messed about - if rules are made the should be crystal clear not subjective.

The REAL ultimate implication is that if someone is not yet at retirement age and/or has no work permit it is not possible to "live" in Thailand permanently with ANY visa (as I understand it). In ANY case it is 6 months in 1 year at best, and for the remaining period of the year it always means "Good Bye Thailand". Looks to me that whoever "settled" here "unofficially" will need to look for another place... BIG change, cold shock for many, I suspect...

Brilliant post. Everyone has option for ED VISA if they can afford it, many English teachers can't especially those spending most of their meagre salary on Beer Chang, or can be bothered when in almost all other ASEAN countries it's just a matter of paying fee or even free. Will be interesting to see if this option open to the under 50s is closed because it is often abused to work illegally. Perhaps it's time to hire a furniture removal truck and head across an ASEAN border or return to your beloved homeland to avoid this visa crackdown. Inaction will be painful.

Are you under the impression that English Teachers need/have and education visa? If so you are totally off the mark. To Teach in Thailand you need a "B" visa and a work permit....just like any other job.

Are you under the impression that English Teachers need/have and education visa? If so you are totally off the mark. To Teach in Thailand you need a "B" visa and a work permit....just like any other job.

Indeed. Working on an Ed. Visa is not permitted.

So if you have used a tourist visa then have 2 or 3 visa exemptions can you get another tourist visa or is it considered as a back to back tourist visa too?

It is about visa exemptions, no problems with visas.
What you are saying is not correct 68 year old Canadian on tourist visas for 3 years was told they could no longer issue him a tourist visa 8 months ago but issued him with non O to apply for retirement visa. As he does not have 800,000 he went and got another 60 day non O at Kota Bahru. They have told him categorically no more Tourist visas. Luckily because of his age he's given a 60 day non O otherwise he'd have to move to another ASEAN country to live. Yes he is not a tourist so obviously not entitled to a tourist visa but he is not working.

All me to pose this question, why should an on-line business be treated differently from a bricks and mortar type business ?.....its still a business being operated for profit

Thanks for volunteering your opinion - I'm sure as a on-line volunteer you're just trying to help, but I'm a bit of stickler for the rules, and as we know, volunteering requires a work-permit and why should an on-line volunteer be any different from a bricks and mortar type volunteer? So if you're doing this on-line volunteering from within Thailand, I do hope you have work-permit to do it.

No what I am saying in my estimates is 25% of farang teachers are working illegally on ED VISAS because they don't meet the requirements to get a Non-B

So if you have used a tourist visa then have 2 or 3 visa exemptions can you get another tourist visa or is it considered as a back to back tourist visa too?

What you are saying is not correct 68 year old Canadian on tourist visas for 3 years was told they could no longer issue him a tourist visa 8 months ago but issued him with non O to apply for retirement visa. As he does not have 800,000 he went and got another 60 day non O at Kota Bahru. They have told him categorically no more Tourist visas. Luckily because of his age he's given a 60 day non O otherwise he'd have to move to another ASEAN country to live. Yes he is not a tourist so obviously not entitled to a tourist visa but he is not working.
And this Canadian has spent 3 months of every year in Vietnam for the last 3 years. 9 months Thailand / 3 months Vietnam for 3 years.He has never used exempt entry to arrive in Thailand. Times have changed already at least in Kota Bahru. Perhaps they have been giving new rules trial run to be introduced to all embassies on August 12

They can't but they do, in my estimates quarter of farang teachers work illegally on ED VISAS

There are many of us who have used a mixture of both visa exemptions and tourist visas to stay in Thailand for as long as possible, without working illegally in Thailand.

I believe this group of people are the most concerned since they may not be eligible for other types of visas or long term visas for one reason or another.

Yes, in a way this group of people may have been exploiting the loopholes in the system, but as long as they have not been working illegally, they are not exactly abusing the system. The back to back visa exemptions are perfectly legal, and in Thailand we even have companies set up specifically to provide such a service.

In other words, we must not lump this group of people who have been using back to back visa exemptions to stay in Thailand with the another group who may have used the same method to stay and work illegally in Thailand.

For this group of people who have not abused the system in order to work illegally in Thailand, what is required from the Immigration now is clarity on the "turn around" period in order NOT to be classified as a visa runner, whether via air or land.

Would 15 days be good enough ? And so on.

Let's not forget Thailand has bilateral agreements with countries on the issue of visa exemptions. If Thai immigration decides that you need to be away for 3 months before you can re-enter Thailand on visa exemption, then which ever countries that have bilateral agreements with Thailand will have to update their policies and do a tit for tat. This will not only mess up the immigration policies in Thailand, but all countries with which Thailand has bilateral agreements.

Edited by thairookie
  • Like 1

What on liners are asking for or demanding in some cases is a change in the Thai companies law and change in immigration/work permit laws

On suspects even in western countries where a lot of on liners come from, to be fully legal they have to register some for of legal entity to run a genuine on line business and be registered for tax etc, granted there would be no issues with immigration/WP issues because they are a citizen of said country

In Thailand there are no barriers to operating an on line business if your Thai.

Allow me to pose the same question I posed in another thread on this question and no one would answer

If Thai law required an on liner to register a Thb 1.0million limited company without the 4 x Thai national component, pay a 20% withholding tax, as income is earned out of Thailand and the on-liner was required to pay social security in Thailand and private medical insurance and in return they issued a WP and extension of stay would you say this was a fair solution ?

My money is on the vast majority of on liners saying this isn't fair and would not be prepared to do it, and they would still be bleating on its unfair, simply because I suspect large numbers of on liners are not operating businesses anyway and are doing what they are doing to blag a few bucks to support their lives in Thailand

I didn't say on-line business should be treated differently, actually I don't think it should. Those restrictions are also preventing some kind of one man brick and mortar businesses to operate in thailand.

I was just answering to the post that said "why don't you follow the rules like everybody else" because in many cases the rules are impossible to follow, as a result many people are forced to work around visa regulations and work in semi clandestinity.

As to your proposal, it seems fair but obviously it will never happen unfortunately.

There are many of us who have used a mixture of both visa exemptions and tourist visas to stay in Thailand for as long as possible, without working illegally in Thailand.

I believe this group of people are the most concerned since they may not be eligible for other types of visas or long term visas for one reason or another.

Yes, in a way this group of people may have been exploiting the loopholes in the system, but as long as they have not been working illegally, they are not exactly abusing the system. The back to back visa exemptions are perfectly legal, and in Thailand we even have companies set up specifically to provide such a service.

In other words, we must not lump this group of people who have been using back to back visa exemptions to stay in Thailand with the another group who may have used the same method to stay and work illegally in Thailand.

For this group of people who have not abused the system in order to work illegally in Thailand, what is required from the Immigration now is clarity on the "turn around" period in order NOT to be classified as a visa runner, whether via air or land.

Let's not forget Thailand has bilateral agreements with countries on the issue of visa exemptions. If Thai immigration decides that you need to be away for 3 months before you can re-enter Thailand on visa exemption, then which ever countries that have bilateral agreements with Thailand will have to update their policies and do a tit for tat. This will not only mess up the immigration policies in Thailand, but all countries with which Thailand has bilateral agreements.

They are eligible for other types of visas. It's more like they either can't afford, or like to spend money on those other visas. And everyone can sign up to learn Thai and get a long stay visa if they really like to stay in Thailand. It doesn't cost much more than doing all those visa and border runs you describe.

• Like 1

I didn't say on-line business should be treated differently, actually I don't think it should. Those restrictions are also preventing some kind of one man brick and mortar businesses to operate in thailand.

I was just answering to the post that said "why don't you follow the rules like everybody else" because in many cases the rules are impossible to follow, as a result many people are forced to work around visa regulations and work in semi clandestinity.

As to your proposal, it seems fair but obviously it will never happen unfortunately.

But no foreigner is forced to leave his home country. And go to Thailand and work with all those "impossible visa rules and regulations."

And the truth is that 99% would not like to be legal if they had to pay more than 100 baht to be legal ;)

Edited by larsjohnsson
  • Like 2

Thanks for volunteering your opinion - I'm sure as a on-line volunteer you're just trying to help, but I'm a bit of stickler for the rules, and as we know, volunteering requires a work-permit and why should an on-line volunteer be any different from a bricks and mortar type volunteer? So if you're doing this on-line volunteering from within Thailand, I do hope you have work-permit to do it.

What are you bleating on about ? your making absolutely no sense

• Like 1

The no mail in applications to the consulates in the UK has been in effect since January. Mail in applications to the embassy in London has been allowed since the 2nd of January.

The approval for all multiple entry visas by the embassy started last year. Approval normally only takes 3 or 4 days according to reports I have seen.

Just asking. In the USA, I use a visa agency to go to the consulates to get a visa in my passport. Costs a bit ($50-150 depending on urgency) , but saves me the time (and travel if the consulate is in a different state). Some consulates allow relatives to bring in a passport for a visa, with a signed note from the passport holder. Other consulates (Chinese consulate in Seoul, for example) don't allow the passport holder to DIY, insisting that we hire an approved visa agency.

Is that an option in London, or does it have to be the passport holder in person? Could you Fed-Ex a passport to a visa agency and have them walk it through and FedEx the passport back? I imagine you'd have to do it from a country other than Thailand, but that may be cheaper and easier than flying home.

Just asking. In the USA, I use a visa agency to go to the consulates to get a visa in my passport. Costs a bit ($50-150 depending on urgency) , but saves me the time (and travel if the consulate is in a different state). Some consulates allow relatives to bring in a passport for a visa, with a signed note from the passport holder. Other consulates (Chinese consulate in Seoul, for example) don't allow the passport holder to DIY, insisting that we hire an approved visa agency.

Is that an option in London, or does it have to be the passport holder in person? Could you Fed-Ex a passport to a visa agency and have them walk it through and FedEx the passport back? I imagine you'd have to do it from a country other than Thailand, but that may be cheaper and easier than flying home.

Consular services is what he wants to google. There was a company maybe 6 or 7 years ago which did this 'gold star consular services' or something like that but they've since merged with a different company and have now changed their name.

They did a Chinese visa for me. They file the papers by hand and collect the passport with the visa by hand then mail it to you. It wasn't cheap but it was very convenient.

There are definitely consular service companies active in London. I'm not sure whether they work with the Thai Embassy but it's a good place to start looking.

• Like 1

Most ASEAN countries allow foreigners to take up residence using tourist visas indefinitely. Western countries do not allow it. Thailand used to allow it but no longer allow it. Just make sure you have no reason to get back into Thailand if you are relying on tourist visas. Wasted breath to object to a way a country is governed. It is their right to restrict tourist visas (which has already started) and exempt entries.

Most ASEAN countries allow foreigners to take up residence using tourist visas indefinitely. Western countries do not allow it. Thailand used to allow it but no longer allow it. Just make sure you have no reason to get back into Thailand if you are relying on tourist visas. Wasted breath to object to a way a country is governed. It is their right to restrict tourist visas (which has already started) and exempt entries.
whether you are working or not you are still abusing the system. A tourist visa is not for the purpose of residing. Please do not mislead people.

whether you are working or not you are still abusing the system. A tourist visa is not for the purpose of residing. Please do not mislead people.
Also many are using ED VISAS to work illegally or reside indefinitely. Don't be surprised after paying all the money your visa is cancelled if immigration does not like your school as has happened in past.

Unless there is some wrinkle in Thai immigration law that does not apply to Canadians, your friend should be able (as many others have) to get a one year duration for a Non Imm - Multi Entry 'O' visa. Yes - one still has to exit and enter Thailand every 90 days (Border Runs) but there are no other requirements except being age 50 or older and show enough income to finance one's travels in and out of Thailand (and that is not always ask). A Retirement Visa or an Extension of Stay for retirement purposes is referred to as an 'O-A' and has financial and other requirements - and the holder only has to report to the local immigration office. By the way this Non Imm Multi Entry 'O' Visa can be extended up to a total of about 15 months if the last exit and reentry is made just before the initial one year expiry date... I have read that a Non Imm Multi Entry 'O' Visa can be obtained at Savannakhet, Laos (I am assuming there is a Thai Consulate office there). For the experts here - please correct me if I have stated this incorrectly...

Edited by JDGRUEN

Unless there is some wrinkle in Thai immigration law that does not apply to Canadians, your friend should be able (as many others have) to get a one year duration for a Non Imm - Multi Entry 'O' visa. Yes - one still has to exit and enter Thailand every 90 days (Border Runs) but there areu no other requirements except being age 50 or older and show enough income to finance one's travels in and out of Thailand (and that is not always ask). A Retirement Visa or an Extension of Stay for retirement purposes is referred to as an 'O-A' and has financial and other requirements - and the holder only has to report to the local immigration office. By the way this Non Imm Multi Entry 'O' Visa can be extended up to a total of about 15 months if the last exit and reentry is made just before the initial one year expiry date... I have read that a Non Imm Multi Entry 'O' Visa can be obtained at Savannakhet, Laos (I am assuming there is a Thai Consulate office there). For the experts here - please correct me if I have stated this incorrectly...

He has no cash in bank, Kota Bahru only issues 60day non O, he went to Bangkok immigration and was told his Canadian pension not enough. I'll tell him to try Savannakhet. He does not like Laos for the $42 USD visa charge so I hope you're right.

Unless there is some wrinkle in Thai immigration law that does not apply to Canadians, your friend should be able (as many others have) to get a one year duration for a Non Imm - Multi Entry 'O' visa. Yes - one still has to exit and enter Thailand every 90 days (Border Runs) but there are no other requirements except being age 50 or older and show enough income to finance one's travels in and out of Thailand (and that is not always ask). A Retirement Visa or an Extension of Stay for retirement purposes is referred to as an 'O-A' and has financial and other requirements - and the holder only has to report to the local immigration office. By the way this Non Imm Multi Entry 'O' Visa can be extended up to a total of about 15 months if the last exit and reentry is made just before the initial one year expiry date... I have read that a Non Imm Multi Entry 'O' Visa can be obtained at Savannakhet, Laos (I am assuming there is a Thai Consulate office there). For the experts here - please correct me if I have stated this incorrectly...

An extension of stay is not called a OA visa calling it that confuses people, A OA can only be issued at an embassy or official consulate.in your country or country of legal residence.

You cannot get a multiple entry non-o visa for being 50 years old or over from any location within the region. Savannakhet only does them based upon marriage or having a Thai child.

What you are saying is not correct 68 year old Canadian on tourist visas for 3 years was told they could no longer issue him a tourist visa 8 months ago but issued him with non O to apply for retirement visa. As he does not have 800,000 he went and got another 60 day non O at Kota Bahru. They have told hi Wm categorically no more Tourist visas. Luckily because of his age he's given a 60 day non O otherwise he'd have to move to another ASEAN country to live. Yes he is not a tourist so obviously not entitled to a tourist visa but he is not working.

An extension of stay is not called a OA visa calling it that confuses people, A OA can only be issued at an embassy or official consulate.in your country or country of legal residence.
You cannot get a multiple entry non-o visa for being 50 years old or over from any location within the region. Savannakhet only does them based upon marriage or having a Thai child.

Well this most certainly precludes him 555 He is gay. He has no money to go back to Canada to get an O. He plans to live in Thailand using indefinite 60 day non Os as he has been told no more tourist visas for him 8 months ago.