Confirmed: Visa run crackdown effective from August 12, 2014: Thai Foreign Ministry

You cannot get a multiple entry non-o visa for being 50 years old or over from any location within the region. Savannakhet only does them based upon marriage or having a Thai child.

That's odd. I got a multiple entry Non O in Penang. I showed then my bank book and told them it was with retirement in mind.

I actually only asked for a 60 day Non O, but, they asked if I wanted the Non O one year multiple entry, which I took.

Therefore, your statement is not true.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ubonjoe post #358

Thanks UbonJoe ... Please note that I did not use the term VISA with the mention of Extension of Stay for Retirement ... I just used the term O-A which is apparently incorrect.... my apologies. I suppose an Extension of Stay for Retirement is called just that and has no letter designation such as OA? Too bad it would make things easier to understand.

Note: I understand what the original poster was trying to do...

And thank you for the clarification about what can be done at Savannakhet ... When I read about this before on TVF I did not catch the context of it being only for marriage or having a Thai child. Again my apologies.

But it still seems that some people cannot understand the different nature of a Non Imm Multi Entry 'O' Visa versus the O-A for retirement Visa and the Extension of Stay for Retirement. It is unfortunate because some (those age 50 or over) who have been using just Tourist Visas could more effectively use the 'Plain 'O' as I call it... Even if it means going back to their home country or some other location to obtain it. Getting rid of the hassle that Tourist Visas have become (for long stays) it would seem worth the effort and expense if they cannot find a way to qualify for a O-A Retirement Visa or Extension of Stay for Retirement.

You cannot get a multiple entry non-o visa for being 50 years old or over from any location within the region. Savannakhet only does them based upon marriage or having a Thai child.

That's odd. I got a multiple entry Non O in Penang. I showed then my bank book and told them it was with retirement in mind.

I actually only asked for a 60 day Non O, but, they asked if I wanted the Non O one year multiple entry, which I took.

How long ago was that.

I suspect you had 800k baht or more in your bank account.

How long ago was that.

27th March 2014. Yes, as I said, I showed them my bank book with a figure of 800K+ which is a requirement when seeking a Non Imm visa with a view to retire.

I was told that it had to have been in the account for a minimum of three months, but, they didn't seem interested. In fact, it had only been in the account for two weeks when I got the visa.

I was surprised that they offered the one year visa with no prompting from me as previous dealings with Penang haven't been the easiest.

I think you need to amend your previous statement.

Edited by KarenBravo

@ubonjoe post #358

Thanks UbonJoe ... Please note that I did not use the term VISA with the mention of Extension of Stay for Retirement ... I just used the term O-A which is apparently incorrect.... my apologies. I suppose an Extension of Stay for Retirement is called just that and has no letter designation such as OA? Too bad it would make things easier to understand.

Note: I understand what the original poster was trying to do...

And thank you for the clarification about what can be done at Savannakhet ... When I read about this before on TVF I did not catch the context of it being only for marriage or having a Thai child. Again my apologies.

But it still seems that some people cannot understand the different nature of a Non Imm Multi Entry 'O' Visa versus the O-A for retirement Visa and the Extension of Stay for Retirement. It is unfortunate because some (those age 50 or over) who have been using just Tourist Visas could more effectively use the 'Plain 'O' as I call it... Even if it means going back to their home country or some other location to obtain it. Getting rid of the hassle that Tourist Visas have become (for long stays) it would seem worth the effort and expense if they cannot find a way to qualify for a O-A Retirement Visa or Extension of Stay for Retirement.

It is an extension of stay based upon retirement. Or you can call it a retirement extension. But please not a OA, non-o or a visa of any kind.

It is getting harder to get multiple entry non-o visas for being 50 or over at many places. Some places now want you to show the same money needed for an extension to get them. Unless there are honorary consulates in a persons home country.even a single entry non-o cannot be obtained because most embassies and official consulates will only do a OA visa. That is why a lot of people wanting extensions arrive with only a tourist visa and then do a change to a non immigrant visa entry.

In the UK they will only do a multiple entry non-o if you are 65 or over and getting a government pension.at the honorary consulated there.

Consular services is what he wants to google. There was a company maybe 6 or 7 years ago which did this 'gold star consular services' or something like that but they've since merged with a different company and have now changed their name.

They did a Chinese visa for me. They file the papers by hand and collect the passport with the visa by hand then mail it to you. It wasn't cheap but it was very convenient.

There are definitely consular service companies active in London. I'm not sure whether they work with the Thai Embassy but it's a good place to start looking.

Thanks. We just call them Passport Services or Visa Services, because they also do things like go to the Federal Buildings to add pages to passports, renew passports, get visas, file documents at consulates related to business, etc. In the Chinese consulates where I have gotten a lot of visas, they're the ones that walk in with 50 passports at a time. Some consulates even have special lines just for them.

The companies I worked for use them all the time, and they're so convenient that I use them even when their fee comes out of my own pocket. They check my paperwork and inform me of any deficiencies before even going to the consulate, embassy or federal offices They arrange photos of the correct size, etc. Extremely handy, but not free.

And just as important, I pay when I get the completed passport back. So they'll tell me right off whether they can help me or not, because they don't want to waste their time for nothing. With China, that's handy if I'm looking for a business visa when they're not giving any out- like the runup to the 2008 Olympics.

• Like 1

For those affected by Thai crackdown easy solution is to move to other ASEAN countries. Malaysia for example gives 90 days free. Just make sure you get out before August 12 if your only option to get back in is a tourist visa.

Perhaps easier for a Thai girlfriend/wife to get a visa in another Asean country than for you to do so here. But will they want to stay in the Philippines or Cambodia.....not mine. I am submitting to the new regulations and will obtain correct visas from now on. It was only on bad advice that I ever clung to the Tourist Visa/border run scenario. I would wake up one morning and just say to myself....how can I get this out of the way, quickly.

The REAL ultimate implication is that if someone is not yet at retirement age and/or has no work permit it is not possible to "live" in Thailand permanently with ANY visa (as I understand it). In ANY case it is 6 months in 1 year at best, and for the remaining period of the year it always means "Good Bye Thailand". Looks to me that whoever "settled" here "unofficially" will need to look for another place... BIG change, cold shock for many, I suspect...

Brilliant post. Everyone has option for ED VISA if they can afford it, many English teachers can't especially those spending most of their meagre salary on Beer Chang, or can be bothered when in almost all other ASEAN countries it's just a matter of paying fee or even free. Will be interesting to see if this option open to the under 50s is closed because it is often abused to work illegally. Perhaps it's time to hire a furniture removal truck and head across an ASEAN border or return to your beloved homeland to avoid this visa crackdown. Inaction will be painful.

Are you under the impression that English Teachers need/have and education visa? If so you are totally off the mark. To Teach in Thailand you need a "B" visa and a work permit....just like any other job.

They can't but they do, in my estimates quarter of farang teachers work illegally on ED VISAS

If you buy the Thailand Elite card you get a 5 year visa. Any age can do that

How long ago was that.

27th March 2014. Yes, as I said, I showed them my bank book with a figure of 800K+ which is a requirement when seeking a Non Imm visa with a view to retire.

I was told that it had to have been in the account for a minimum of three months, but, they didn't seem interested. In fact, it had only been in the account for two weeks when I got the visa.

I was surprised that they offered the one year visa with no prompting from me as previous dealings with Penang haven't been the easiest.

KarenBravo ... under the visa issued to you - are you required to exit Thailand at least every 90 days? Or is your reporting requirement to visit a local Thai Immigration every 90 days?

How long ago was that.

It is a rarity to get one and most people that have 800k baht would not want it because they would get an extension of stay so they don't have to leave every 90 days. Why pay 5000 baht for visa you don't need.

There are many of us who have used a mixture of both visa exemptions and tourist visas to stay in Thailand for as long as possible, without working illegally in Thailand.

I believe this group of people are the most concerned since they may not be eligible for other types of visas or long term visas for one reason or another.

Yes, in a way this group of people may have been exploiting the loopholes in the system, but as long as they have not been working illegally, they are not exactly abusing the system. The back to back visa exemptions are perfectly legal, and in Thailand we even have companies set up specifically to provide such a service.

In other words, we must not lump this group of people who have been using back to back visa exemptions to stay in Thailand with the another group who may have used the same method to stay and work illegally in Thailand.

For this group of people who have not abused the system in order to work illegally in Thailand, what is required from the Immigration now is clarity on the "turn around" period in order NOT to be classified as a visa runner, whether via air or land.

Would 15 days be good enough ? And so on.

Let's not forget Thailand has bilateral agreements with countries on the issue of visa exemptions. If Thai immigration decides that you need to be away for 3 months before you can re-enter Thailand on visa exemption, then which ever countries that have bilateral agreements with Thailand will have to update their policies and do a tit for tat. This will not only mess up the immigration policies in Thailand, but all countries with which Thailand has bilateral agreements.

They are eligible for other types of visas. It's more like they either can't afford, or like to spend money on those other visas. And everyone can sign up to learn Thai and get a long stay visa if they really like to stay in Thailand. It doesn't cost much more than doing all those visa and border runs you describe.

Signing up for ED visa is abusing the system if you have no intention to attend classes, or if your Thai is good enough. You're only pretending to learn Thai in order to stay in Thailand. Then again, it's not illegal but compared to back to back visa exemptions and tourist visas, the latter is more open (again, as long as you don't work illegally).

But the intention of my post is not to deliberate on what is legal and what is illegal. It's more to direct information to take care of the needs of a certain group of people whom I have mentioned - that they rely on b2b visa exemptions and tourist visas to stay in Thailand without working illegally. This group will call themselves tourists, and as long as they don't work illegally in Thailand I don't see how they cannot qualify under the definition of tourists.

Again, the Immigration should be precise on what is the "turnaround" period before you are classified a non-tourist. I understand that many with long term visas sponsored by spouses are happy with the Immigration weeding out the "dubious tourists", but by saying that "just go get a proper visa" is simply not answering the needs of some people and adds no clarity to the already muddy policies.

• Like 1

How long ago was that.

KarenBravo ... under the visa issued to you - are you required to exit Thailand at least every 90 days? Or is your reporting requirement to visit a local Thai Immigration every 90 days?

Leave every 90 days.

Just before this visa expires, I will again show a bank book with 800k, this time for three months straight and get a visa extension for a year from immigration within Thailand.

This still negates your statement that you can't get a Non-Imm for retirement. It changes nothing as to the in-correctness of your previous statement.

Edited by KarenBravo

How long ago was that.

It is a rarity to get one and most people that have 800k baht would not want it because they would get an extension of stay so they don't have to leave every 90 days. Why pay 5000 baht for visa you don't need.

Because at the time, I did need a visa as my visa exemption stamp had expired and I had to do some kind of visa run. As I had a hankering for some Indian food, I went to Penang.

If I hadn't have got this visa, I would have been caught in the "visa run trap" along with others. Yes, I know that I could have got another visa exempt stamp and then applied for a Non-Imm for retirement, but, I still work O&G in other countries and as I am self-employed, don't have a regular schedule.

Getting this one year multiple entry was a God-send for me.

There are many of us who have used a mixture of both visa exemptions and tourist visas to stay in Thailand for as long as possible, without working illegally in Thailand.

I believe this group of people are the most concerned since they may not be eligible for other types of visas or long term visas for one reason or another.

Yes, in a way this group of people may have been exploiting the loopholes in the system, but as long as they have not been working illegally, they are not exactly abusing the system. The back to back visa exemptions are perfectly legal, and in Thailand we even have companies set up specifically to provide such a service.

In other words, we must not lump this group of people who have been using back to back visa exemptions to stay in Thailand with the another group who may have used the same method to stay and work illegally in Thailand.

For this group of people who have not abused the system in order to work illegally in Thailand, what is required from the Immigration now is clarity on the "turn around" period in order NOT to be classified as a visa runner, whether via air or land.

Would 15 days be good enough ? And so on.

Let's not forget Thailand has bilateral agreements with countries on the issue of visa exemptions. If Thai immigration decides that you need to be away for 3 months before you can re-enter Thailand on visa exemption, then which ever countries that have bilateral agreements with Thailand will have to update their policies and do a tit for tat. This will not only mess up the immigration policies in Thailand, but all countries with which Thailand has bilateral agreements.

They are eligible for other types of visas. It's more like they either can't afford, or like to spend money on those other visas. And everyone can sign up to learn Thai and get a long stay visa if they really like to stay in Thailand. It doesn't cost much more than doing all those visa and border runs you describe.

Signing up for ED visa is abusing the system if you have no intention to attend classes, or if your Thai is good enough. You're only pretending to learn Thai in order to stay in Thailand. Then again, it's not illegal but compared to back to back visa exemptions and tourist visas, the latter is more open (again, as long as you don't work illegally).

But the intention of my post is not to deliberate on what is legal and what is illegal. It's more to direct information to take care of the needs of a certain group of people whom I have mentioned - that they rely on b2b visa exemptions and tourist visas to stay in Thailand without working illegally. This group will call themselves tourists, and as long as they don't work illegally in Thailand I don't see how they cannot qualify under the definition of tourists.

Again, the Immigration should be precise on what is the "turnaround" period before you are classified a non-tourist. I understand that many with long term visas sponsored by spouses are happy with the Immigration weeding out the "dubious tourists", but by saying that "just go get a proper visa" is simply not answering the needs of some people and adds no clarity to the already muddy policies.

No one exept you talk about "no intention to attend classes". Only you made that up. If you sign up, you have to attend of classes. I belived that was obvious. And you don't have to study Thai. There are hundred different things to do. Including things like Thai boxing, cooking, golf trainer (pro), diving and so on. All are perfectly legal.

You can also buy the Elite card and get 5 years visa. So you are wrong saying that there doesn't exist options if you are below 50 years.

But most people complaining like you do, they don't like to spend money. And they don't like to attend to classes a few hours a week. Or put some effort in to get a proper and legal visa for long stay. They just like the Immigration to change the rules to fit them. All the others have to do this before. Or wait until we turned 50........so why should it be different for you?

Edited by bangkoklasse
  • Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

For those affected by Thai crackdown easy solution is to move to other ASEAN countries. Malaysia for example gives 90 days free. Just make sure you get out before August 12 if your only option to get back in is a tourist visa.

Perhaps easier for a Thai girlfriend/wife to get a visa in another Asean country than for you to do so here. But will they want to stay in the Philippines or Cambodia.....not mine. I am submitting to the new regulations and will obtain correct visas from now on. It was only on bad advice that I ever clung to the Tourist Visa/border run scenario. I would wake up one morning and just say to myself....how can I get this out of the way, quickly.

The REAL ultimate implication is that if someone is not yet at retirement age and/or has no work permit it is not possible to "live" in Thailand permanently with ANY visa (as I understand it). In ANY case it is 6 months in 1 year at best, and for the remaining period of the year it always means "Good Bye Thailand". Looks to me that whoever "settled" here "unofficially" will need to look for another place... BIG change, cold shock for many, I suspect...
Brilliant post. Everyone has option for ED VISA if they can afford it, many English teachers can't especially those spending most of their meagre salary on Beer Chang, or can be bothered when in almost all other ASEAN countries it's just a matter of paying fee or even free. Will be interesting to see if this option open to the under 50s is closed because it is often abused to work illegally. Perhaps it's time to hire a furniture removal truck and head across an ASEAN border or return to your beloved homeland to avoid this visa crackdown. Inaction will be painful.

Are you under the impression that English Teachers need/have and education visa? If so you are totally off the mark. To Teach in Thailand you need a "B" visa and a work permit....just like any other job.
They can't but they do, in my estimates quarter of farang teachers work illegally on ED VISAS

Just as a matter of interest, where do you get or how do you arrive at these figures/percentages? Why would a teacher want to apply for an ED-visa when he would be under contract with whatever school he/she is working at?

25% of teachers working in Thailand are on ED-visas?

Really.............................whistling.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Just as a matter of interest, where do you get or how do you arrive at these figures/percentages? Why would a teacher want to apply for an ED-visa when he would be under contract with whatever school he/she is working at?

25% of teachers working in Thailand are on ED-visas?

Really.............................whistling.gif

And 25% on tourist visas. At least for ones being paid 30,000 to 45, 000. High turnover. All teachers in this salary bracket work illegally for at least the first 3 months.

Look folks:

I will say this once more and hope it is the last time needed:

None of us knows how the new crack-down will be enforced until it begins in earnest on August 12th.

The most valuable information will be the trip reports of persons leaving/entering the country from now until after that time.

Please desist and refrain from useless opinion,speculation, trolling and arguing unless you have a first-hand trip report to post that is relevant to the heading of this OP.

'NUFF SAID

A Non-Immigrant O type visa is for either retirement or marriage and a number of other categories - that's what the "O" stands for - OTHER.

That kind of visa can only be ISSUED at a Thai consulate or Embassy, meaning outside Thailand.

A Non-Immigrant visa can only be EXTENDED by the Immigration Department inside Thailand, and the TYPE of Non-Immigrant O visa will be defined by the extension category for which you apply and are granted the extension. This is where it becomes a Marriage Visa, or say a Retirement Visa etc.

This kind of visa is completely different from the ones mentioned above, and which are the subject of the letter.

Not wishing to be too pedantic, but you can get a Non O visa issued within Thailand, by changing a tourist visa to a Non O at an immigration office.

• Like 1

This all seems rather dark and real to me. If you've got 2m baht, then go for the Elite card. Personally, I'm not all that interested in staying long term. Remember that there are always other options. Be it going home to a first world country. Be it going to a nation that isn't 'clamping down' every five minutes. To me (I could be wrong) it seems like the powers that be are moving from one visa to the next. First, the 'waiver' system. Then, the visa runs/tourist visas. Then, the Ed Visas for Thai Language. Now, even those on full time degree courses are getting hassles. So, what's next? Got to be the Marriage visas/retirement visas.

Like I said, I could be totally wrong, but if they start smashing up the amounts/conditions for marriage/retirement visas then we'll know. Bottom line is, if they start making me feel unwelcome...I'm outta here. Perhaps the 'Elite Visa' is the future. Old, rich dudes can spend their money and perhaps lose it all to a tricky Thai wife. That's not for me. I'm no muggins.

Like I said, unwelcome=see you later.

Spend, spend, spend...or go away. Perhaps.

• Like 1

This all seems rather dark and real to me. If you've got 2m baht, then go for the Elite card. Personally, I'm not all that interested in staying long term. Remember that there are always other options. Be it going home to a first world country. Be it going to a nation that isn't 'clamping down' every five minutes. To me (I could be wrong) it seems like the powers that be are moving from one visa to the next. First, the 'waiver' system. Then, the visa runs/tourist visas. Then, the Ed Visas for Thai Language. Now, even those on full time degree courses are getting hassles. So, what's next? Got to be the Marriage visas/retirement visas.

Like I said, I could be totally wrong, but if they start smashing up the amounts/conditions for marriage/retirement visas then we'll know. Bottom line is, if they start making me feel unwelcome...I'm outta here. Perhaps the 'Elite Visa' is the future. Old, rich dudes can spend their money and perhaps lose it all to a tricky Thai wife. That's not for me. I'm no muggins.

You only need half a million Baht for the 5 year Elite card. 2 Million is for the 20 year membership.

Look folks:

I will say this once more and hope it is the last time needed:

None of us knows how the new crack-down will be enforced until it begins in earnest on August 12th.

The most valuable information will be the trip reports of persons leaving/entering the country from now until after that time.

Please desist and refrain from useless opinion,speculation, trolling and arguing unless you have a first-hand trip report to post that is relevant to the heading of this OP.

'NUFF SAID

MOD wannabee or in training ?

• Like 1

A Non-Immigrant O type visa is for either retirement or marriage and a number of other categories - that's what the "O" stands for - OTHER.

That kind of visa can only be ISSUED at a Thai consulate or Embassy, meaning outside Thailand.

A Non-Immigrant visa can only be EXTENDED by the Immigration Department inside Thailand, and the TYPE of Non-Immigrant O visa will be defined by the extension category for which you apply and are granted the extension. This is where it becomes a Marriage Visa, or say a Retirement Visa etc.

This kind of visa is completely different from the ones mentioned above, and which are the subject of the letter.

Not wishing to be too pedantic, but you can get a Non O visa issued within Thailand, by changing a tourist visa to a Non O at an immigration office.

Er no you can't, visa's are issued outside a country, this is an extension of stay your referring to which is not a visa, not to be too pedantic

You only need half a million Baht for the 5 year Elite card. 2 Million is for the 20 year membership.

20 years? Bloody hell. Good luck with that one!

You only need half a million Baht for the 5 year Elite card.

I guess the keyword here is "only", for the best comical effect.

Why is "only " a comic word ..... 500k ain't a great deal of money to begin with, all these on liners claim to be rolling in it, self made entrepreneurs, if they are what they claim 500k is not a barrier its only a little over 8k/m, or Thb 277/day.... Less than the minimum stated wage of Thb 300/d in Thailand

Or about the same monthly price as a decent medical insurance scheme....

or one night out on the town if you want to put it another way

So if people claim they can't afford to spend Thb 277/ day for a long term visa, then I don't know...?

Why is "only " a comic word ..... 500k ain't a great deal of money to begin with, all these on liners claim to be rolling in it, self made entrepreneurs, if they are what they claim 500k is not a barrier its only a little over 8k/m, or Thb 277/day.... Less than the minimum stated wage of Thb 300/d in Thailand

Or about the same monthly price as a decent medical insurance scheme....

or one night out on the town if you want to put it another way

So if people claim they can't afford to spend Thb 277/ day for a long term visa, then I don't know...?

274 / day to be exact. Seems to me unreasonable money for the "privilege" of being in Thailand, yet with basically no rights.

It's pointless to make absolute statements of what is expensive and what is not. Same as the length of a string.

You only need half a million Baht for the 5 year Elite card.

I guess the keyword here is "only", for the best comical effect.

So that 500k or 2m. Is that still yours? (like on a 400k marriage visa)

Or is it the cost of the visa? If it's the cost of the visa and non-returnable...you must be mental (or with money to burn). 500k is a lot of money btw. 2m is a shit load in the modern world.

Er no you can't, visa's are issued outside a country, this is an extension of stay your referring to which is not a visa, not to be too pedantic

Er, yes you can change a visa in the country. If memory serves me correctly it's form TM 86.