Confirmed: Visa run crackdown effective from August 12, 2014: Thai Foreign Ministry

A Non-Immigrant O type visa is for either retirement or marriage and a number of other categories - that's what the "O" stands for - OTHER.

That kind of visa can only be ISSUED at a Thai consulate or Embassy, meaning outside Thailand.

A Non-Immigrant visa can only be EXTENDED by the Immigration Department inside Thailand, and the TYPE of Non-Immigrant O visa will be defined by the extension category for which you apply and are granted the extension. This is where it becomes a Marriage Visa, or say a Retirement Visa etc.

This kind of visa is completely different from the ones mentioned above, and which are the subject of the letter.

Not wishing to be too pedantic, but you can get a Non O visa issued within Thailand, by changing a tourist visa to a Non O at an immigration office.

Er no you can't, visa's are issued outside a country, this is an extension of stay your referring to which is not a visa, not to be too pedantic

Er, yes you can change a visa in the country. If memory serves me correctly it's form TM 86.

You can change your permission / reason for stay not your visa, Thai immigration cannot issue visa's in country, I don't know how many different was this has to be said

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You only need half a million Baht for the 5 year Elite card.

I guess the keyword here is "only", for the best comical effect.

Why is "only " a comic word ..... 500k ain't a great deal of money to begin with, all these on liners claim to be rolling in it, self made entrepreneurs, if they are what they claim 500k is not a barrier its only a little over 8k/m, or Thb 277/day.... Less than the minimum stated wage of Thb 300/d in Thailand

Or about the same monthly price as a decent medical insurance scheme....

or one night out on the town if you want to put it another way

So if people claim they can't afford to spend Thb 277/ day for a long term visa, then I don't know...?

Dollars - not Baht

You only need half a million Baht for the 5 year Elite card.

I guess the keyword here is "only", for the best comical effect.

Why is "only " a comic word ..... 500k ain't a great deal of money to begin with, all these on liners claim to be rolling in it, self made entrepreneurs, if they are what they claim 500k is not a barrier its only a little over 8k/m, or Thb 277/day.... Less than the minimum stated wage of Thb 300/d in Thailand

Or about the same monthly price as a decent medical insurance scheme....

or one night out on the town if you want to put it another way

So if people claim they can't afford to spend Thb 277/ day for a long term visa, then I don't know...?

Dollars - not Baht

??

Remember you can also learn other languages on ED visa here in Thailand. I have a friend learning advanced English , and on that school most of the students are Russians trying to learn English . They attend the classes only 4 hours per week . About 50% of them never show up so they could have a problem later if they want to renew the visa .

I wait for the day when someone want to get the next 1 year stamp on his "elite visa" and the officer say: "No Sir. You can not get. The rules have changed." I would buy the elite card when i pay every year not for all 5 years.

Not wishing to be too pedantic, but you can get a Non O visa issued within Thailand, by changing a tourist visa to a Non O at an immigration office.

Er no you can't, visa's are issued outside a country, this is an extension of stay your referring to which is not a visa, not to be too pedantic

Er, yes you can change a visa in the country. If memory serves me correctly it's form TM 86.

You can change your permission / reason for stay not your visa, Thai immigration cannot issue visa's in country, I don't know how many different was this has to be said

Well you've got me baffled here...

How come I changed from a tourist visa to a Non O, without leaving the country, but by visiting the immigration office?

It took about three hours from depositing the application form (TM 86) and my passport, for the VISA to be stamped into my passport.

Please see the attached file (obviously with personal details blanked out to keep anonymity).

At the top of the image it says Non-immigrant VISA, in the centre: Category "O"

Also in the centre "Immigration Bureau Thailand", as opposed to the name of an embassy or consulate.

Further in the image, the text says" This VISA must be utilized on the day of its issuance" - pretty difficult if it was issued outside of the country.

Or is it not a VISA?

post-4903-0-86677500-1404659624_thumb.jp

Below is an example of a non-O visa issued by an immigration office in Thailand in response to a foreigner's application with the form TM.87 APPLICATION FOR VISA if the foreigner entered Thailand on visa-exempt basis or with the form TM.86 APPLICATION FOR CHANGE OF VISA if he entered with a visa other than a non-immigrant visa.

Change%2520visa%2520non-O%2520Bangkok%25

How long ago was that.

I suspect you had 800k baht or more in your bank account.

27th March 2014. Yes, as I said, I showed them my bank book with a figure of 800K+ which is a requirement when seeking a Non Imm visa with a view to retire.

I was told that it had to have been in the account for a minimum of three months, but, they didn't seem interested. In fact, it had only been in the account for two weeks when I got the visa.

I was surprised that they offered the one year visa with no prompting from me as previous dealings with Penang haven't been the easiest.

I think you need to amend your previous statement.

KarenBravo ... under the visa issued to you - are you required to exit Thailand at least every 90 days? Or is your reporting requirement to visit a local Thai Immigration every 90 days?

Leave every 90 days.

Just before this visa expires, I will again show a bank book with 800k, this time for three months straight and get a visa extension for a year from immigration within Thailand.

This still negates your statement that you can't get a Non-Imm for retirement. It changes nothing as to the in-correctness of your previous statement.

Thank you for your reply Karenbravo... the requirement to exit Thailand at least every 90 days on a Non Imm Multi Entry '0' as you know means that the Visa issued to you in not categorized at O-A for purpose of Retirement. Rather it is just what I call a 'Plain' "O". This is the same category Visa I have and for my purposes I find it to be quite handy.

As has been implied, it is very unusual that the Thai Consulate in Penang issued this category of Visa... I monitor a lot of Visa topic posts and have not read of this before. But for me it is good news as I wish to get another such visa when my current one expires and get it without returning to America. I also realize that it may not be routine at Panang to issue such visas of this category and that I cannot rely on it. But when the time comes I will find a way to check it out.

If the Thai Consulate at Penang and other regional Thai Consulates would routinely offer plain Category 'O' Visas to those age 50 or over ... (IMO) it would prove to be of great benefit to quite a number of people who need a long term Thailand 'come and go' ability. And like me most would use it as a long stay visa spending almost all our time in Thailand. Some TVF members do not like this attitude but so be it because so far it is allowed.

• Like 1

KarenBravo ... under the visa issued to you - are you required to exit Thailand at least every 90 days? Or is your reporting requirement to visit a local Thai Immigration every 90 days?

Leave every 90 days.

Just before this visa expires, I will again show a bank book with 800k, this time for three months straight and get a visa extension for a year from immigration within Thailand.

This still negates your statement that you can't get a Non-Imm for retirement. It changes nothing as to the in-correctness of your previous statement.

Thank you for your reply Karenbravo... the requirement to exit Thailand at least every 90 days on a Non Imm Multi Entry '0' as you know means that the Visa issued to you in not categorized at O-A for purpose of Retirement. Rather it is just what I call a 'Plain' "O". This is the same category Visa I have and for my purposes I find it to be quite handy.

As has been implied, it is very unusual that the Thai Consulate in Penang issued this category of Visa... I monitor a lot of Visa topic posts and have not read of this before. But for me it is good news as I wish to get another such visa when my current one expires and get it without returning to America. I also realize that it may not be routine at Panang to issue such visas of this category and that I cannot rely on it. But when the time comes I will find a way to check it out.

If the Thai Consulate at Penang and other regional Thai Consulates would routinely offer plain Category 'O' Visas to those age 50 or over ... (IMO) it would prove to be of great benefit to quite a number of people who need a long term Thailand 'come and go' ability. And like me most would use it as a long stay visa spending almost all our time in Thailand. Some TVF members do not like this attitude but so be it because so far it is allowed.

You can try to get one but you will certainly need to have 800k baht in a Thai bank or maybe proof of 65k baht income. If you have that you can get an extension of stay and a multiple re-entry permit at immigration and come and go whenever you want without having to do it on a schedule of every 90 days.

Guys, I got both stamps too, but I believe what soutpeel is referring to is this:

thai_visa_non-immigrant_category_O.png

I'm not counting any chickens until my funds are seasoned but its a good feeling to know that I wont be forced to go anywhere near a border between now and mid-August. As inane as some of the doomsaying speculation is, we're all keen to see just how heavy-handed Immigration will be implementing the crackdown - I just want to be able to read about it from this side of the border.

• Like 2

Guys, I got both stamps too, but I believe what soutpeel is referring to is this:

thai_visa_non-immigrant_category_O.png

I'm not counting any chickens until my funds are seasoned but its a good feeling to know that I wont be forced to go anywhere near a border between now and mid-August. As inane as some of the doomsaying speculation is, we're all keen to see just how heavy-handed Immigration will be implementing the crackdown - I just want to be able to read about it from this side of the border.

will be interesting to see if it actually gets worse or the crackdown is already in place. the August 12th deadline was supposed to just affect airports, land borders already in place am i correct?

Edited by garydubbs

Leave every 90 days.

You can try to get one but you will certainly need to have 800k baht in a Thai bank or maybe proof of 65k baht income. If you have that you can get an extension of stay and a multiple re-entry permit at immigration and come and go whenever you want without having to do it on a schedule of every 90 days.

I don't understand why I cannot make my point ... What Karenbravo was given was not an 'O' visa based on retirement. She stated that she presented the financial information - but the 800,000 baht was not seasoned, So they issued a 'O" visa that requires exiting Thailand at least every 90 days (*which can be done for a variety of reasons having nothing to do with seeking a retirement visa) ... I don't think that this is a distinction without a difference.

As she said she will now allow the 800,000 baht to season properly and then apply at a Thai Immigration office for an Extension of Stay based on Retirement.

*On the Thai Embassy, Washington D.C. webpage there is a long list of description of justifications to issue an 'O' visa - all having nothing to do with retirement except the one item labeled retirement. And for these other reasons one has to exit Thailand at least every 90 days.

I fully understand and appreciate the difference of only having to report to a local immigration office when one is issued a Non Imm 'O' visa based on Retirement versus having to exit Thailand at least ever 90 days when the 'O' visa issued is NOT based on Retirement. I am not ignorant of the difference. But for my own reasons I prefer the Border Run version of this Visa. My visa is not based on retirement and I prefer it to remain that way even with the inconvenience and cost of making border runs. And I also know that as an American I can get a Certificate from the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok certifying that I have the financial means to meet the 800,000 Baht requirement so that I do not have to present my seasoned bank statement to the Thai Immigration officials.

And as I previously stated using other words, I am not counting on the Thai Consulate in Penang to issue me a Non Imm Multi-Entry 'O' Visa (not based on purposes of Retirement) as they did with KarenBravo. But I am likely to give it a try ... if I cannot I will just waste some time and money ... and will do it in a fashion so as not to jeopardize my ability to reenter Thailand and try another method.

Ubonjoe you have been very helpful to me in the past and I appreciate it ... but I would appreciate even more it if you would read what I post fully before answering.

<snip>

*On the Thai Embassy, Washington D.C. webpage there is a long list of description of justifications to issue an 'O' visa - all having nothing to do with retirement except the one item labeled retirement. And for these other reasons one has to exit Thailand at least every 90 days.

<snip>

Non-o visas are often issued based upon being 50 or over for retirement. Mostly as a single entry as the first step of getting an extension of stay after arriving here.

The embassy does not mention them because they will only do the OA visa. In the states you would have to apply at an honorary consulate to get a non-o visa.

From MFA website: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15398-Issuance-of-Visa.html

other activities (Category "O") as follows: to stay with the family, to perfrom duties for the state enterprise or social welfare organizations, to stay after retirement for the elderly, to receive medical treatment, to be a sport coach as required by Thai Government, to be a contestant or witness for the judicial process.

How long ago was that.

I suspect you had 800k baht or more in your bank account.

27th March 2014. Yes, as I said, I showed them my bank book with a figure of 800K+ which is a requirement when seeking a Non Imm visa with a view to retire.

I was told that it had to have been in the account for a minimum of three months, but, they didn't seem interested. In fact, it had only been in the account for two weeks when I got the visa.

I was surprised that they offered the one year visa with no prompting from me as previous dealings with Penang haven't been the easiest.

I think you need to amend your previous statement.

Leave every 90 days.

They welcome my Canadian friend back every time for a Non O but refuse him tourist visas in Kota Bahru. He tells them he only has pension, no money in bank. 2200 is better than 1100 - this obviously brings back the Thai smile to the nation : ))

It's very clear. It's all about the money. Pay and you're welcome 555. Everyone has option for student visa. Clarification on this impossible regards tourist visas. Just get as many as you can until they say no more if history and the present is anything to go by.The vege chicken samosas very tasty in penang. What ever rules they make some will get more tourist visas than others. No need to worry unnecessarily. Put it all in the lap of the God's.

I don't understand why I cannot make my point ... What Karenbravo Was Given Was Not An 'o' Visa Based On Retirement.. She stated that she presented the financial information - but the 800,000 baht was not seasoned, So they issued a 'O" visa that requires exiting Thailand at least every 90 days (*which can be done for a variety of reasons having nothing to do with seeking a retirement visa) ... I don't think that this is a distinction without a difference.

As she said she will now allow the 800,000 baht to season properly and then apply at a Thai Immigration office for an Extension of Stay based on Retirement.

I fully understand and appreciate the difference of only having to report to a local immigration office when one is issued a Non Imm 'O' visa based on Retirement versus having to exit Thailand at least ever 90 days when the 'O' visa issued is NOT based on Retirement. I am not ignorant of the difference. But for my own reasons I prefer the Border Run version of this Visa. My visa is not based on retirement and I prefer it to remain that way even with the inconvenience and cost of making border runs. And I also know that as an American I can get a Certificate from the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok certifying that I have the financial means to meet the 800,000 Baht requirement so that I do not have to present my seasoned bank statement to the Thai Immigration officials.

And as I previously stated using other words, I am not counting on the Thai Consulate in Penang to issue me a Non Imm Multi-Entry 'O' Visa (not based on purposes of Retirement) as they did with KarenBravo. But I am likely to give it a try ... if I cannot I will just waste some time and money ... and will do it in a fashion so as not to jeopardize my ability to reenter Thailand and try another method.

Ubonjoe you have been very helpful to me in the past and I appreciate it ... but I would appreciate even more it if you would read what I post fully before answering.

JDGRUEN, since you are discussing the finer points of visa terminology, which is a good thing to do, allow me to add this: there is no retirement visa. There is no visa with the word "retirement" on it. There is the non-immigrant visa category O/A, sometimes with "(long stay)" added after O/A, and some people refer to it incorrectly as retirement visa. Then there is the extension of stay for the reason of retirement, and some people refer to this incorrectly as retirement visa; on Thaivisa we call this type of extension "retirement extension" for short.

" What Karenbravo Was Given Was Not An 'o' Visa Based On Retirement", you wrote. As you correctly stated, Thai consulates can issue the non-O visa for a variety of reasons, but this reason is never stated on the visa itself. Not all consulates use exactly the same text for their visa application forms but most use a form along the lines of the template provided by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and include the field "Purpose of trip". Presumably, you have not seen a copy of the application form submitted by Karenbravo for his visa and neither have I, but if he wrote "retirement" in that field it would not be unreasonable to say that the consulate issued the visa to him for the reason of retirement, ie to allow him to travel to Thailand for the purpose of retirement.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It's very clear. It's all about the money. Pay and you're welcome 555. Everyone has option for student visa. Clarification on this impossible regards tourist visas. Just get as many as you can until they say no more if history and the present is anything to go by.The vege chicken samosas very tasty in penang. What ever rules they make some will get more tourist visas than others. No need to worry unnecessarily. Put it all in the lap of the God's.

Arguably some of the worst advice given at this end of the thread - you've added A and B and come up with a Ouija board of utter nonsense that boils down to:

'It's very clear - put it all in the lap of the Gods'

I could live with that, but your advice re tourist visas is beyond reckless - I believe its dangerous. There is a wealth of useful advice peppered throughout this thread and you've somehow ignored that in favor of an interpretation that is just mind-boggling.

• Like 2

I don't understand why I cannot make my point ... What Karenbravo Was Given Was Not An 'o' Visa Based On Retirement.. She stated that she presented the financial information - but the 800,000 baht was not seasoned, So they issued a 'O" visa that requires exiting Thailand at least every 90 days (*which can be done for a variety of reasons having nothing to do with seeking a retirement visa) ... I don't think that this is a distinction without a difference.

JDGRUEN, since you are discussing the finer points of visa terminology, which is a good thing to do, allow me to add this: there is no retirement visa. There is no visa with the word "retirement" on it. There is the non-immigrant visa category O/A, sometimes with "(long stay)" added after O/A, and some people refer to it incorrectly as retirement visa. Then there is the extension of stay for the reason of retirement, and some people refer to this incorrectly as retirement visa; on Thaivisa we call this type of extension "retirement extension" for short.

" What Karenbravo Was Given Was Not An 'o' Visa Based On Retirement", you wrote. As you correctly stated, Thai consulates can issue the non-O visa for a variety of reasons, but this reason is never stated on the visa itself. Not all consulates use exactly the same text for their visa application forms but most use a form along the lines of the template provided by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and include the field "Purpose of trip". Presumably, you have not seen a copy of the application form submitted by Karenbravo for his visa and neither have I, but if he wrote "retirement" in that field it would not be unreasonable to say that the consulate issued the visa to him for the reason of retirement, ie to allow him to travel to Thailand for the purpose of retirement.

Quote: Maestro you said above... "there is no retirement visa". Well - the Royal Thai Embassy, Washington, D.C. USA differs with you on this: (I am fully aware that the laws of Thailand relative to Immigration may be misstated on a Thai Embassy webpage or are even out of date. And that whatever is published by a Thai Embassy is trumped by the rules and regulations as written and interpreted by Thai Immigration officials. BUT here is what the Embassy says... Therefore it is very understandable why some people get the facts and terminology confused).

http://dc.thaiembdc.org/consular/VISA/Non-Imglong.aspx

Bold Print and larger characters are my emphasis... I didn't change any text - but please if you wish go visit the Embassy links and read without my added emphasis.

Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O-A” (Long Stay)

Purpose of Visit:-

This type of visa may be issued to applicants aged 50 years and over who wish to stay in Thailand for a period of not exceeding 1 year without the intention of working.

Holder of this type of visa is allowed to stay in Thailand for 1 year. Employment of any kind is strictly prohibited.

Eligibility:-

- Applicant must be aged 50 years and over (on the day of submitting application)

- Applicant not prohibited from entering the Kingdom as provided by the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (1979)

- Having no criminal record in Thailand and the country of the applicant’s nationality or residence

- Having the nationality of or residence in the country where applicant’s application is submitted

- Not having prohibitive diseases ( Leprosy, Tuberculosis, drug addiction, Elephantiasis, third phase of Syphilis) as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No. 14 B.E. 2535

Required Documents:- (Required 3 sets: 1 original and 2 copies)

- Your actual Passport or Travel Document. (Passport or Travel Document must not expire within 6 months and contain at least ONE completely empty visa page).

- Visa application form completely filled out (download)

- Addition Application form (download)

- A medical certificate showing no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No.14 (B.E. 2535) certificate shall be valid for not more than three months(download)

- Three passport-size photographs (2"x2") (photocopy or photo taken from Photostat will not be accepted). Photographs must have a light color background with a full- face view of the person without wearing a hat or dark glasses. Photos must be taken within 6 months.

- A copy of bank statement or evidence of adequate finance showing a deposit of the amount equal to and not less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate (an original copy) with a monthly income of not less than 65,000 Baht, or a deposit account plus a monthly income totaling not less than 800,000 Baht

- In the case of submitting a bank statement, a letter of guarantee from the bank (an original copy) is required

- A letter of verification stating that the applicant has no criminal record (verification shall be valid for not more than three months)

- In the case where the accompanying spouse is not eligible to apply for the Category ‘O-A’ (Long Stay) visa, he or she will be considered for temporary stay under Category ‘O’ visa. A marriage certificate must be provided as evidence

Submitting application by mail

Application must include self-addressed return envelope only by these following mail service:-

1. USPS (US Postal Service) Express Mail: use only Flat Rate Mailing Envelope with $ 19.95 postage stamp (Metered stamps will not be accepted)

Consular officers reserve the right to request additional documents as deemed necessary and also reserve the right to reject any application without having to provide reason.

Visa Processing Fees:-

$200.- (multiple entries)>

Visa processing fees are payable in money order or cashier check made payable to “The Royal Thai Embassy”.

Validity of a visa:-

multiple entries : Validity of a visa is 1 year.

Period of stay:-

Travelers with this type of visa will be permitted to stay in Thailand for a period of 1 year.

Recommendations for foreigners with Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A” (Long Stay) while staying in the Kingdom

· Upon arrival, holder of this type of visa will be permitted to stay in Thailand for 1 year from the date of first entry. During the one-year period, if he or she wishes to leave and re-enter the country, he or she is required to apply at the Immigration office for re-entry permit (single or multiple) before departure. In the case of leaving the country without a re-entry permit, the permit to stay for 1 year shall be considered void.

· At the end of the 90-day stay , the foreigner must report to the immigration officer in his or her residence area and report again every 90 days during his or her stay in Thailand . The foreigner may report to the police station if there is no immigration office in his or her residence area.

· Foreigner may report to the competent authority by post and should provide the following:

- A report form (Tor Mor 47).

- A copy of passport pages showing the foreigner’s photo, personal details, and the latest arrival visa stamp.

- A copy of the previous receipt of acknowledgement.

- A self-addressed envelope with postage affixed. Such documents must be sent to the Office of the Immigration Bureau, Soi Suan Plu, South Sathorn Road , Sathorn District, Bangkok 10120, and must be submitted 7 days before the end of every 90-day period. A receipt of acknowledgement will be given and should be used for future correspondence.

· Foreigner who wishes to extend his or her stay shall submit a request for extension of stay at the Office of the Immigration Bureau with documented evidence of money transfer or a deposit account in Thailand or an income certificate showing an amount of not less than 800,000.- Baht or an income certificate plus a deposit account showing a total amount of not less than 800,000.- Baht. A one-year extension of stay shall be granted at the discretion of the immigration officer to the foreigner as long as he or she meets the above requirements.

**************************************************************************************************

I believe that one can apply for a "O-A" Visa from the U.S. while in the U.S. at a Thai Embassy or Consulate. And that the seasoned money (equivalent to 800,000 Baht in a bank account) can be U.S. Dollars in an American bank. Whether this is ever done in actuality - I don't know. But never the less - the Royal Thai Embassy believes that they can process an "O-A" Visa.

AND AT: http://dc.thaiembdc.org/consular/VISA/Non-Img.aspx

In part:

*********************************************************************************************

Non-Immigrant Visa

Purpose of Visit:-

This type of visa is issued to applicants who wish to enter the Kingdom for the following purposes:

- To perform official duties: (Category “F”)

- To conduct business / to work: (Category “B”)

- To study, to come on a work study tour or observation tour, to participate in projects or seminar, to attend a conference or training course, to study as a foreign Buddhist monk: (Category “ED”)

- To work as a film-producer, journalist or reporter: (Category “M”)

- To perform missionary work or other religious activities with the concurrence of the Thai Ministries or Government Departments concerned: (Category “R”)

- To conduct scientific research or training or teaching in research institute:(Category “RS”)

- Other activities: (Category “O”) as follows: To stay with the family, perform duties for the state enterprise or social welfare organizations, to receive medical treatment, to be a sport coach as required by Thai Government, to be a contestant or witness for the judicial process.

- To stay after retirement for a person who over 50 years old or older:(Category “O-A”)

*******************************************************************************************************************************

Notice above: the title of this section is labeled 'Visa' And notice the reference to 'stay' is ended with the notation Category "O-A" People who plan a visit to Thailand from America would very likely first visit the Royal Thai Embassy Website (links above)... Most people doing so would likely be novices who have not visited Thailand before ... and this information is where their first understanding of the subject begins. Correct or not -- misinformation or not this is what people get to read - often first time. From this information when one later learns about the "Extension of Stay' option they may assume it is referred to as "O-A" the same as a Visa Category because that is way it is presented at the Thai Embassy site.

Curiously - under - <Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O”> at http://dc.thaiembdc.org/consular/VISA/Non-Img.aspx ... there is no mention of an age requirement of applicant. Age is only mentioned under Category "O-A" - Long Stay. This is understandable for most of the justifiable reasons for requesting a Category "O" Visa. But ...

When applying for my 'O' Visa I mentioned to the Honorary Consul General of Thailand at the Dallas Texas office that I did not meet the requirements for Purpose of Visit - my reasons did not 'fit' - any of the listings in Category 'O' and that I was not applying for purposes of retirement. He responded by saying that my stated reasons of wanting to visit my old military camps and visit Thai and American friends was a good enough reason to grant the 'O' Visa. I also had to sign a paper acknowledging that I had to make Border Runs - exit Thailand at least every 90 days. I was granted a Non Imm Multi Entry 'O' Visa not for purposes of retirement and not for anything listed ... nothing supporting a retirement visa was submitted nor was a retirement visa asked for.

I call the visa I was granted a 'Plain "O" because it was not granted for any of the stated reasons. (I am fully aware that what Honorary Consul Generals of Thailand do may not always fall under strict interpretation of Thai Immigration Law / Rules / Regulations). But I wonder what would happen if someone under age 50 applies for such a 'Plain' "O" Visa when he or she does not meet one of the reasons / justifications listed --- it would be interesting to see what happens. An Honorary Consul might do it. But what would the reaction be at the Immigration Checkpoint?

Yes, it is possible to apply for a non-immigrant visa category O-A at the consular section of the Thai embassy in Washington DC to travel to Thailand for the purpose of retirement (but I don't recall this question being asked or this possibility being questioned in this topic). Let us not discuss it any further here, as it is off topic. Please start a new topic about it if you have any question rergarding it.

Effective already. Drove down to Ban Phu Nam Rom myself yesterday. No more in and out. Went back to BKK empty handed, now flying to Australia tomorrow for a little holiday thumbsup.gif

The crossing is not closed because of the "crackdown". Myanmar no longer will do a border pass at that crossing. You have to get a visa in advance to use the crossing now.

So if you have used a tourist visa then have 2 or 3 visa exemptions can you get another tourist visa or is it considered as a back to back tourist visa too?

It is about visa exemptions, no problems with visas.
What you are saying is not correct 68 year old Canadian on tourist visas for 3 years was told they could no longer issue him a tourist visa 8 months ago but issued him with non O to apply for retirement visa. As he does not have 800,000 he went and got another 60 day non O at Kota Bahru. They have told him categorically no more Tourist visas. Luckily because of his age he's given a 60 day non O otherwise he'd have to move to another ASEAN country to live. Yes he is not a tourist so obviously not entitled to a tourist visa but he is not working.

Does he have a pension or savings /pension combo that satisfies the money requirement?

If not he's got bigger issues than a visa.

Hi, I've been here for 7 months and every month did a border run to Cambodia or Myanmar to get another 30 day stamp. Just a couple days ago went to Cambodia to get a stamp and they only gave me 7 days. I'm American and not near the age of 50. What are my options to stay longer in Thailand? Do I go to Loas for a Double Entry Visa? Or do I fly out of country for a few days and return? How many days would I have to stay out of country and can I come back to get an entrance stamp again for 30 days? Or do I need to always get a visa now? Confusing so hope to get the real skinny from you guys. Thanks

Hi, I've been here for 7 months and every month did a border run to Cambodia or Myanmar to get another 30 day stamp. Just a couple days ago went to Cambodia to get a stamp and they only gave me 7 days. I'm American and not near the age of 50. What are my options to stay longer in Thailand? Do I go to Loas for a Double Entry Visa? Or do I fly out of country for a few days and return? How many days would I have to stay out of country and can I come back to get an entrance stamp again for 30 days? Or do I need to always get a visa now? Confusing so hope to get the real skinny from you guys. Thanks

There are lots of people with the same problem. There are several ongoing topics about this.

You will need to go out and get a tourist visa. But you may be questioned when you return about you are doing here and be prepared to prove you are not working here. It would be wise to have 20k baht to show when you return from getting the visa.

• Like 1

There are lots of people with the same problem. There are several ongoing topics about this.

You will need to go out and get a tourist visa. But you may be questioned when you return about you are doing here and be prepared to prove you are not working here. It would be wise to have 20k baht to show when you return from getting the visa.

I am going to try to make a go for Loas then to see if I can get a double entry visa. I am retired and don't work here. I have money in the bank and a pension. I will bring 20K just in case. Or maybe it might be better to fly out of country for a while and return? Just wondering for how many days I should be gone or does it matter? Thanks

I am going to try to make a go for Loas then to see if I can get a double entry visa. I am retired and don't work here. I have money in the bank and a pension. I will bring 20K just in case. Or maybe it might be better to fly out of country for a while and return? Just wondering for how many days I should be gone or does it matter? Thanks

If you are 50 or over you should apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement. If you have 800k baht in the bank or an income of 65 baht or a combination of the 2 to reach 800k baht. If this the case you should apply for a single entry non-o visa when you to Laos instead of a tourist visa.

• Like 1