Confirmed: Visa run crackdown effective from August 12, 2014: Thai Foreign Ministry

I'm not sure if I are allowed to post this from phuket, else admin must delete it. I think this has very good information.

But Any foreigners who could not produce the required cash were told that they would not be allowed to enter Thailand and would have to remain on the Malaysian side of the border, the Phuket Gazette was told over the phone by one of the visa runners.

Foreigners entering Thailand on a visa-on-arrival stamp issued by immigration officials at the border were required to show 10,000 baht cash, while people entering on a tourist visa issued at the Royal Thai Embassy or Consulate were required to show 20,000 baht cash.

post-205224-0-45688100-1404201105_thumb.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't do 'revolving door' visa runs but occasional travel overland to Thailand ..so whatever they do i hope they change the rules and provide a proper/valid visa (30 days for all) for those arriving overland to the country as a tourist I.e. not in the country within the last 4/6 weeks or period to be agreed.

Unless you apply in the UK and do not have 800k in the bank for even a single entry. Then what, seeing as applying for a tourist visa under the circumstances is fraud?

You don't need to show any money in the bank to get a Non O Visa based on marriage.

You only need to show money, if you apply for an extension to stay, based on marriage, once your in Thailand.

Right. Tell them that in London.

Are you sure you're not getting a non-O mixed up with the non-OA?

I'm British and I have had several multi-entry non-O visas issued in London. They have NEVER asked for proof of money in the bank, just the marriage documents, copy of wife's ID card, etc. and the fee.

Hong Kong is a different matter - first time I applied there, I got the visa with no problems (was working in HK at the time, so I had an HK ID card, etc.). Second time around, they wanted some sort of proof of income, but wouldn't take my HK bank account statements (as proof of my income). They wanted proof of my wife's income as she was "sponsoring" me. After that, I gave up applying for visas in HK, and just got them in London. (If you travel enough, it's not a problem).

P.S. Joe - Get a multi-entry non-O visa if you have a Thai spouse. It lasts a year and gives you 90 days on entry, and you can still do a 60 day extension in-country without proof of funds (if you take your wife, her house book and marriage paperwork with you to immigration - laminate those wedding documents...). Alternatively, if you have sufficient funds deposited in a Thai bank, or can prove sufficient income from the UK and aren't planning on travelling in the immediate future, you can do yearly extensions and switch to getting re-entry permits rather than visas. I stayed on visas because I was never employed in Thailand, so was rarely in Thailand long enough to even think of applying for an extension. (I only did the 60 day one once, and since my wife was out of the country at the time, dragged along one of the kids instead with her Thai birth certificate and house book...)

So will people who fly in regularly to Thailand and get 30 day stamps be affected by the new rules or is it only land border crosses.

Lots of oil workers, Aussie FIFOs will be affected if they are monitoring at airports.

Yes, they are sffected - some of those guys are in for a shock.

i dont think they will be affected at all;

they are NOT"visa runners" they come into Thailand stay from 1 week to 4 , spend their hard earned $$$ an leave for 4 weeks to ------

they are NOT VISA RUNNERS nor are they abusing what the visa exempt is for

What is "living here" yes they might have houses/wife's/families but they are not here full time.

I guess its a fine line an we will have to wait and see.

I can't see them stopping these guys

What's stopping them is that they ordinarily attempt to enter Thailand six times a year on visa-exempt. ( month on/ month off ).

This whole push is to end abuse of the visa-exempt system.

In as much as I agree that it would be self-defeating to block these guys from entry - you are forgetting one simple thing.

When they present themselves to immigration with thirty visa exempt stamps already -

And ask for one more -

Immigration aren't going to see their worth to the economy

They are going to see a habitual traveler attempting to use yet another visa exempt.

As sure as night follows day that will be a problem.

To pretend otherwise is ostrich in the sand stuff.

THat is my concern because it is not just them it is a whole host of other people who come in and out many times a year on visa exempts who don't work here but would be caught up in this net.

I come in and out frequently as do many workers in Singapore, Malaysia, Australia and other surrounding countries for a variety of reasons.

Many don't wont tourist visas as you would be going to the embassy many times a year to get them for some short term stays of less than a week if you are coming and going frequently.

• Like 1

Unless you apply in the UK and do not have 800k in the bank for even a single entry. Then what, seeing as applying for a tourist visa under the circumstances is fraud?

You don't need to show any money in the bank to get a Non O Visa based on marriage.

You only need to show money, if you apply for an extension to stay, based on marriage, once your in Thailand.

Right. Tell them that in London.

I'm British and I have had several multi-entry non-O visas issued in London. They have NEVER asked for proof of money in the bank, just the marriage documents, copy of wife's ID card, etc. and the fee.

Yes, quite sure. Perhaps Ubonjoe can weigh in lest I be accused of fearmongering or trolling..

How about the "Come learn Thai at my language school and we will get you a long term visa" advertisements that we often see. Will these schools still be able to use this 'loop hole' to increase their business.

This is caled an ed visa. no loophole, but abuse is rife. Some have been getting ed visa, mainly kiddies, and cant even count to 100.

I read somewhere that one has to show an income for an ed visa, and are being checked at immigration, to see if they are actualy turning up for learning thai.

I don't know anything about you but would be interested to know you're age , what visa you have and how you obtained it.

Well, I think given the juvenile nature of your opening comment, perhaps we should all know your age. At least that way we would know whether you're young and immature or old and immature.

But, to answer your question, approaching 50 and I don't live in Thailand anymore. I did live in Thailand for several years on ED visas. And before you try to go there, I attended every class. 2 hours a session, three times a week. I can read and write basic Thai.

My Plan B though should the ED visas quit being granted was to buy an internet cafe and run it at break even so I could obtain a work visa.

I eventually got married to a Thai so that pretty much negated the need for ED visas or having to buy a business but I never got around to it and since I enjoyed the classes anyway, staying on the ED visa was easier.

What brought you out here to live in Los or are just one of those who sit at the computer all day trying to wind people up on forums and talking crap.

I decided to move to Thailand after about 7 or 8 years of visiting Thailand three or four times a year. It's actually a bit more complicated on the why I picked that particular timing as I had cash in the bank and I was a little burned out from work. I had planned on moving to Thailand eventually but I woke up one morning and realized that if I kept waiting for the "right time" I might not ever do it so researched all of the options (visas, etc) and jumped on a flight.

The reason I'm no longer living in Thailand is that an opportunity that I never thought would open up, did. Since it was pretty much an opportunity of a lifetime I couldn't pass it up and, regrettably, we had to leave Thailand.

I do still come back to Thailand a couple of times a year with my wife.

I don't think I wind people up. I just have a different perspective than a lot of people. I work in a field where there's not a lot of room for excuses or taking risks without properly evaluating all of the potential outcomes. If I make a bet and lose, I don't cry about it. I realize it was one of several different outcomes and move on. You seem fixated on making people feel sorry for you because you made a bet on Thai immigration loopholes that didn't pan out. and man up about it. Move on. Figure out your next move and do it.

You sound like you're a perfect citizen and have never done any wrong ?

Oh, far from it, my friend. I've done plenty wrong. But, having worked all over the world, I've learned that a healthy respect for immigration laws and answering questions like, "Have you ever been prevented from entering any country" with the wrong answer could have a serious impact on my career prospects.

Actually, I'm very glad on that point because the opportunity I previously mentioned involved having multiple background rectal exams. I had criminal background checks, financial audits, drug tests, etc, etc, and any entry bans from other countries I had lived in would have killed my shot at the position.

Perhaps maybe we could meet up for a beer sometime so you could tell me the secret to you're wonderful world

More than happy to the next time I'm in Thailand.

How about the "Come learn Thai at my language school and we will get you a long term visa" advertisements that we often see. Will these schools still be able to use this 'loop hole' to increase their business.

This is caled an ed visa. no loophole, but abuse is rife. Some have been getting ed visa, mainly kiddies, and cant even count to 100.

I read somewhere that one has to show an income for an ed visa, and are being checked at immigration, to see if they are actualy turning up for learning thai.

I never had to show proof of income. You can't work in Thailand with an ED so how could you show proof of income?

They don't really "check" if you're going to the classes. However, they seem to speak a lot more Thai when you're at the immigration office in the ED section. They call out all of the waiting numbers only in Thai. In the other visa extension areas they use English and Thai. In the ED section they only call out the number in English if nobody responds after 2 or 3 times. I'm assuming those who didn't respond in Thai get a lot more questions than if you respond right away and can speak some minimal Thai when you greet them because I never had a problem even with my passport showing multiple ED visas.

Per another thread in this forum, there is some talk of the Ed visa only being offered to students at a recognized university - no idea how accurate that is but I expect you may want to read that thread. Hopefully it will all become clearer with the passage of time.

Yes, quite sure. Perhaps Ubonjoe can weigh in lest I be accused of fearmongering or trolling..

There was a while last year when their was a bit of fiasco for getting a non-o visa based upon marriage in the UK when they were reported as wanting to see the money. The embassy website still has the wrong info on it.

But there have been recent reports of things getting back to normal and people have gotten them with no financial proof needed.

There was a while last year when their was a bit of fiasco for getting a non-o visa based upon marriage in the UK when they were reported as wanting to see the money. The embassy website still has the wrong info on it.

But there have been recent reports of things getting back to normal and people have gotten them with no financial proof needed.

Thankyou. Clearly I stand corrected.

I probably have to get 14 days in september. My visa runs out at sept 5 and then I should go to home country at sept 18. My visa is Non O family. I dont want to go to Kuala or Penang for a 3 month visa. Do U think they will deny me 14 days at the border if I show flight ticket?

I probably have to get 14 days in september. My visa runs out at sept 5 and then I should go to home country at sept 18. My visa is Non O family. I dont want to go to Kuala or Penang for a 3 month visa. Do U think they will deny me 14 days at the border if I show flight ticket?

Get a 60 day extension of stay to visit you wife or child. Marriage or birth certificate and house book (plus ID card if for wife). They will need to go with you to immigration to apply.

A Non-Immigrant O type visa is for either retirement or marriage and a number of other categories - that's what the "O" stands for - OTHER.

That kind of visa can only be ISSUED at a Thai consulate or Embassy, meaning outside Thailand.

A Non-Immigrant visa can only be EXTENDED by the Immigration Department inside Thailand, and the TYPE of Non-Immigrant O visa will be defined by the extension category for which you apply and are granted the extension. This is where it becomes a Marriage Visa, or say a Retirement Visa etc.

This kind of visa is completely different from the ones mentioned above, and which are the subject of the letter.

If a 90 day non immigrant O can only be issued outside of Thailand, then several posters have been misled. I was told that I could convert a current Tourist Visa (that had at least 21 days remaining on it) to a 90 day non immigrant O visa, at the immigration office in Bangkok. After conversion, one may then get a one year extension, based on retirement.

Correct me if I am wrong. I am actually looking for confirmation that I can do a tourist to non O i(90 day) in Bangkok.

There are several posts on TV that confirm this.

An OA Visa, however, must be done outside of Thailand. This one is a different animal. In fact, immigration at Udon Thani said the OA Visa (Retirement) must be done in my home country.

So does this mean that the 30 day visa exempt stamp is not an option anymore?

Been using this legal form of entry for the past 7 years with out any issues at immigration at all..Can somebody share a link that states I can not enter Thailand with the legal offered at airport 30 day stamp anymore ??

Guess a ride to immigration tomorrow to get the facts is in order..

Hmmm..

Can any please explain - or point me in the direction of a relevant thread, that would perhaps shed some light or clarify how this might affect those visiting spouses ( and not working) in Thailand?

For example - Joe arrives in Thailand on a tourist visa for 30 days, visits immigration and extends for another 60 days since he is visiting his spouse and children. At the end of this period, Joe must leave Thailand by air to a neighbouring country - and then returning the next day, would then re-enter Thailand on another 30 day tourist visa. Thus - Joe begins the cycle again... and possibly again - unless he returns to his homeland for a period of time for whatever reason. Under these new rules, will Joe be adversely affected?

If Joe is wise he arrives with a non-o single entry which allows 90 days, after which he can extend his stay either for 60 days, or 12 months. If he gets a 12 month extension he would purchase a re-entry permit to use on his return.

He is not a tourist, which is why the TR visa doesn't work for him.

• Like 1

A Non-Immigrant O type visa is for either retirement or marriage and a number of other categories - that's what the "O" stands for - OTHER.

That kind of visa can only be ISSUED at a Thai consulate or Embassy, meaning outside Thailand.

A Non-Immigrant visa can only be EXTENDED by the Immigration Department inside Thailand, and the TYPE of Non-Immigrant O visa will be defined by the extension category for which you apply and are granted the extension. This is where it becomes a Marriage Visa, or say a Retirement Visa etc.

This kind of visa is completely different from the ones mentioned above, and which are the subject of the letter.

If a 90 day non immigrant O can only be issued outside of Thailand, then several posters have been misled. I was told that I could convert a current Tourist Visa (that had at least 21 days remaining on it) to a 90 day non immigrant O visa, at the immigration office in Bangkok. After conversion, one may then get a one year extension, based on retirement.

Correct me if I am wrong. I am actually looking for confirmation that I can do a tourist to non O i(90 day) in Bangkok.

There are several posts on TV that confirm this.

An OA Visa, however, must be done outside of Thailand. This one is a different animal. In fact, immigration at Udon Thani said the OA Visa (Retirement) must be done in my home country.

You can do a change of visa status from a tourist visa entry to a 90 day non immigrant visa entry at some immigration offices based upon being eligible for and an extension of stay based upon retirement.

If you are living in Udon it would be best to make a trip to Vientiane to get a single entry non-o visa. It would probably require 2 trips to Bangkok to the change.

• Like 1

This is about visa exempt entries but 75% of the posts are talking about visa's. It's not about visas at all. Totally separate issue.

This remains to be seen. Plan for the worst outcome but hope for the best.

The Op clearly states "back to back visa"

Visa exemption is not a visa.

It's in the wording...exemption...

Yes, but he only mentions "back to back visas" when expressing the opinion that this document, which is strictly about visa exemptions, may forshadow more changes in visa issuance as well. Read the actual document. Nothing about visa's, other than the common incorrect use of the term "visa run" to decribe people doing a visa exempt boarder bounce, as a person doing a border bounce to get another visa exempt stamp is exactly NOT doing a visa run, yet everyone uses that term.

Again, it's clearly about visa exemptions, not about visa's.

Can any please explain - or point me in the direction of a relevant thread, that would perhaps shed some light or clarify how this might affect those visiting spouses ( and not working) in Thailand?

For example - Joe arrives in Thailand on a tourist visa for 30 days, visits immigration and extends for another 60 days since he is visiting his spouse and children. At the end of this period, Joe must leave Thailand by air to a neighbouring country - and then returning the next day, would then re-enter Thailand on another 30 day tourist visa. Thus - Joe begins the cycle again... and possibly again - unless he returns to his homeland for a period of time for whatever reason. Under these new rules, will Joe be adversely affected?

No, you have it completely the wrong way round.

Joe enters Thailand on a single entry tourist visa for SIXTY days, then extends for the maximum of THIRTY days.

If you really have to ask the question in your last sentence, then you don't know your @rse from your elbow ...

Read again - what the OP appears to be saying (and it's not yet been made clear) is that there will be a crackdown on precisely what you got wrong - NO MORE back to back tourist visas, as well as NO MORE 30 day exemption stamps.

Been using this legal form of entry for the past 7 years with out any issues at immigration at all..Can somebody share a link that states I can not enter Thailand with the legal offered at airport 30 day stamp anymore ??

Hmmm..

Why don't you just leave Thailand sometime soon and try to get back in again on a 30 day exemption - just to see what happens ...

What they mean about back to back tourist visa? How long time i have to wait between arrival in home country and new visa application ? 1 week, 1 month, 2 month, 3 month ?

Nobody knows the answer to this right now.

• Like 1

Hmmm..

Why don't you just leave Thailand sometime soon and try to get back in again on a 30 day exemption - just to see what happens ...

YES i will leave Thailand soon for 35 days or so then return to take my vacation in Thailand same i do every other month...always admitted never any issues at all...

Hope it stays that way to

Hmmm..

YES i will leave Thailand soon for 35 days or so then return to take my vacation in Thailand same i do every other month...always admitted never any issues at all...

You will have no problem continuing with visa exempt stamps if there are weeks between them.

• Like 1

Hmmm..

You will have no problem continuing with visa exempt stamps if there are weeks between them.

In principle, I agree with you but TiT and - AFAIK - not one person in this thread actually works for Thai Immigration. Many of us remember an earlier crackdown when the powers that be decided that anyone entering with nothing more than exemptions was allowed two stamps in any 90 day period and was then forced to leave the Kingdom for 90 days or get a visa - presumably a Tourist Visa.

7 DAYS AT THE THAI BORDER AND THATS YOUR LOT!!!

It has been announced today to our visa run Agents that from today the 1st July 2014 all Nationalities who enter Thailand on a free visa on arrival e.g. 30 days standard if they wish to travel to the Thai border and return by land you will only be stamped 7 days, not 15 or 30 days like they did previously 7 DAYS AND THAT IS IT.

It has also been announced once you have been to the Thai border by land and had one lot of 7 days you cannot cross the border again if you wish to stay longer then you have to travel outside of Thailand to a Thai Consulate to obtain a Thai tourist visa or something similar and the you can return to Thailand on a visa type.

The only exemptions at the Thai border are people with Non Immigrant visas multiple entry and double or triple entry tourist visas obtained overseas or from a Thai consulate around Thailand.

http://www.keyvisathailand.com/category/news/

• Like 2

7 DAYS AT THE THAI BORDER AND THATS YOUR LOT!!!

It has been announced today to our visa run Agents that from today the 1st July 2014 all Nationalities who enter Thailand on a free visa on arrival e.g. 30 days standard if they wish to travel to the Thai border and return by land you will only be stamped 7 days, not 15 or 30 days like they did previously 7 DAYS AND THAT IS IT.

It has also been announced once you have been to the Thai border by land and had one lot of 7 days you cannot cross the border again if you wish to stay longer then you have to travel outside of Thailand to a Thai Consulate to obtain a Thai tourist visa or something similar and the you can return to Thailand on a visa type.

The only exemptions at the Thai border are people with Non Immigrant visas multiple entry and double or triple entry tourist visas obtained overseas or from a Thai consulate around Thailand.

http://www.keyvisathailand.com/category/news/

Yes, that would be what has been indicated here al along: the out-in visa exempt entries are not allowed anymore. but you get 7 days to sort out your affairs here.

Wow, the panic and worry is setting in . . . time for you guys to get legal and get a proper visa to run your (online) business on whilst you are here . . . thumbsup.gif

What is the legal and proper visa for running an online business?
non-immigrant B plus work permit.
Is it possible to get a work permit for an online business?

Sure, you just have to meet the requirements for both business startup and workpermit application.
Complete BS, those requirements are incompatible with any online business.

It is impossible to get a work permit for an online business without breaking the law ( hiring phoney employees, or getting WP through phoney companies, etc).
If you think I'm wrong, give an example of ONE person, on thaivisa or IRL, working legally online in thailand.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app Edited by ubonjoe
fixed broken quotes (space needed between quote code blocks and text).