Been To Mae Sai Recently?

agsnowdon

Congruence is not a major aspect of immigration policy anywhere in the world! A couple of years

ago I took my then girlfriend on a weekend trip to Dublin from London. Unfortunately, 30,000 feet

above the Irish sea, we realized she'd forgotten her passport. Even more unfortunately

she's Chinese and it was pretty unlikely we'd be able to sneak her through the EU citizens

checkpoint without her being asked for some form of ID. Sure enough, soon as we

get off the plane they asked her for her passport. No passport no entry! Back to the UK for her.

Then they asked her if she'd ever been to Ireland before, whe said she hadn't. The atmosphere

changed immediately. "Your first time here and here we are shouting at you!, what must you think of us?"

Eventually they said if she promised to go back by Monday they'd let her in on condition that she

promised them she'd get a visa next time. Incongruent ain't the word.

BTW the show means sign was still there as of Saturday, above the windows where you kneel

to the immigration guy, it actually says 10,000 Bath - a warning to backpackers everywhere :D

I was not referring to anywhere in the world I was referring to Thailand, and the rest of your post is irrelavent and :o

If you choose to kneel, that's your prerogative, I normally stand :D

Apologies, I wasn't aware of your height problems. The window is about 3 feet off the ground.

When I stand there the immigration guy gets to talk to my belt buckle -

he doesn't enjoy the experience and neither do I.

And, to get back on topic, the x-ray machine wasn't working either.

And, to get back on topic, the x-ray machine wasn't working either.

You're are trying to tell everybody that out of the people in the line, three including yourself, had problems?

One, a youngish chap, was refused because he didn't have 5 blank pages left in

his passport, and another, a man of about 60 or 70 years, was refused because he

couldn't show enough money.

Firstly you are not required to show means when leaving Thailand, so presumeably you were returning? One, a youngish chap, was refused Refused what? Entry into Myanmar? Re entry into Thailand? Did they send the youngish chap back to Myanmar?

If you are going to post all these stories can you please be a little more specific? After all we are not all as smart as yourself.

Well all sounds like that x-ray fun has finished but I'm still interested in anyone elses experiences coming through.

Try keep on topic about the x-ray machine LOL.

Don't worry Ash, I will be up there again on some business next week, and will ask specifically about your concerns :o

Well all sounds like that x-ray fun has finished but I'm still interested in anyone elses experiences coming through.

Don't worry Ash, I will be up there again on some business next week, and will ask specifically about your concerns :o

If you would MM I would be very gratefull!!!! :D

Edited by agsnowdon

Well boys, I did my visa run yesterday (4thJuly) and the xray was definately going. And was asked to explain my DVD purchases. I bought 6 box sets of various TV shows(each set having about 6-10 discs), Lost, West Wing etc. I explained in english that it was for me and my friends back in NZ. The 3 Immgr officers looked at the box sets carefully and spoke amongst themselves whether or not the shows were in Thai or not. They asked why so many, and I said they were for me watching and also for my friends, I had to repeat this a couple of times. the older immgr Officer said in basic english" too many only 10 allowed, next time no more than 10'' and waved me thru. The copied Polo shirts werent a problem thou.

Im not sure why the big deal with copied DVDs are. Maybe they dont get a kickback from the Burmese shops :D

Its not like I could sell these DVDs to the Thai locals is it? They probably have no idea what Lost, West Wing is.

Incidently, they put thru my purchases in the xray machine but not my bag I had strapped to my back!! :D

ps had no problems in passport control

Edited by Donnyboy

Well boys, I did my visa run yesterday (4thJuly) and the xray was definately going. And was asked to explain my DVD purchases. I bought 6 box sets of various TV shows(each set having about 6-10 discs), Lost, West Wing etc. I explained in english that it was for me and my friends back in NZ. The 3 Immgr officers looked at the box sets carefully and spoke amongst themselves whether or not the shows were in Thai or not. They asked why so many, and I said they were for me watching and also for my friends, I had to repeat this a couple of times. the older immgr Officer said in basic english" too many only 10 allowed, next time no more than 10'' and waved me thru. The copied Polo shirts werent a problem thou.

Im not sure why the big deal with copied DVDs are. Maybe they dont get a kickback from the Burmese shops :D

Its not like I could sell these DVDs to the Thai locals is it? They probably have no idea what Lost, West Wing is.

Incidently, they put thru my purchases in the xray machine but not my bag I had strapped to my back!! :D

ps had no problems in passport control

Well looks like they still liking their new toy.

The deal with the copied DVD's is even though this is Thailand it's still ilegal to sell copied DVD's etc.

But who don't love copied DVD's, well a few on this forum don't but discusion is for anther site another thread.

Better keep on topic and not too many seedy details LOL

Although if you do have any seedy details that I'm after about this topic please feel free to PM me.

Well looks like they still liking their new toy.

The deal with the copied DVD's is even though this is Thailand it's still ilegal to sell copied DVD's etc.

But who don't love copied DVD's, well a few on this forum don't but discusion is for anther site another thread.

Better keep on topic and not too many seedy details LOL

Although if you do have any seedy details that I'm after about this topic please feel free to PM me.

yeah but I still had about 4 copied shirts as well but not a problem

maybe Ill try for a box of Polo shirts next time!! :o

(moderators Im only kidding- I would never suggest to anyone that buying a box load of copied goods and bringing to LOS is exceptable practise)

A bit off-topic, but I was told by a long-time expat in Chiang Mai last year that an ATM receipt showing that you have 10,000 Baths or more should be ok. Also, I wonder if a traveller cheque --or traveller cheques-- would do? Sure would save you from worrying about losing 10,000 baths. Any people with experience or knowledge about that.

I was there yesterday. They were checking or xraying all bags. I had 8 dvds which weren't a problem.

Most of the people I saw in the immigration line didn't have to show any money, but one guy was asked. He appeared to display a credit or ATM card, and was on his way.

The sign said to show 20,000 baht for tourist and non-immigrant visas. 10,000 baht for transit.

Edited by wimpy

I was there yesterday. They were checking or xraying all bags. I had 8 dvds which weren't a problem.

Most of the people I saw in the immigration line didn't have to show any money, but one guy was asked. He appeared to display a credit or ATM card, and was on his way.

The sign said to show 20,000 baht for tourist and non-immigrant visas. 10,000 baht for transit.

So they're still having fun with there new toy. :o

Just went to Mae Sai. On way back in ,Passport guy didn't talk to me,customs guys were sitting on x-ray machine & dog was asleep.

However at checkpoint near Mae Chan we got searched everything, every dvd etc & had to do the old stand & spread 'em. Very thorough.

I'm not sure about having an ATM receipt showing how much your balance in your bank is, though on one occassion i did show them my bank pass-book and that seemed to be ok. Far safer just to have 10,000 Baht cash on you mind. Funnily enough im never asked that much, but this being Thailand when you dont take the cash they'll only go and ask you for it!

A mate of mine on one occassion had to run over to the ATM at 7-11 (Thai side), then go back to the Thai immigration bit, and show them his 10,000 Baht (seeing i had just gone through i just ended up lending him the money until he got through).

The joys of Mai Sai eh..................................

• 2 weeks later...
someone on Lonely planet ThornTree just posted that Myanmar has now doubled the charge from 250 to 500 baht at Mae Sai. Can anyone confirm this?

The post also said that this would probably apply to other entry points. The border crossing at Mae Sot has always been 500 baht. Probably to pay for the bridge which is now in need of repair. :o

I just called a friend who works for the immigration department in Myanmar, and she said that yesterday it was still 250 baht or $5. She wasn't working today, and hadn't heard of any increase.

Just back from Mae Sai. Tachilek crossing is now $USD 10 or 500 baht. Thai immigration using scanner on most Thais, and if the immigration guy I dealt with is any indication, Thais getting surlier. Chastised me for having only 2 empty pages left in passport and for the first time ever , had me show 10,000 baht. ortunately, for the first time ever, I happened to have it on me.

Just back from Mae Sai. Tachilek crossing is now $USD 10 or 500 baht. Thai immigration using scanner on most Thais, and if the immigration guy I dealt with is any indication, Thais getting surlier. Chastised me for having only 2 empty pages left in passport and for the first time ever , had me show 10,000 baht. ortunately, for the first time ever, I happened to have it on me.

anyone know if the roads are safe to travel up to Mae Sai with all this rain?

Went to Mae Sai today expecting washed out roads etc, but had a lovely surprise, brilliant weather. Unfortunately, the border crossing was not the usual at Myanmar Immigration.

Can confirm Tachilek crossing is $USD 10 or 500 Baht and now theres a form to fill in as well.Fill in your name, etc etc. The wait to have the form processed took 50 minutes due to the fact that they also take your photo via webcam and input your details on their new computer. There was a que of about 20 people so it was very hot and frustrating. So take note and arrive early before the que. I would hate to do the border crossing on a weekend. We arrived about 1pm at the crossing.

Got stuff xrayed .No problems at the Thai side this time, probably coz I didnt have the amount of dvds and fakes I usually purchase.

Done the Mai Sai trip yesterday.

Dont know whats going on, concerning the Burma Immigration side. Double the amount you have to pay for visa, and the service now takes 5 times as long!!

Was in a queue for about an hour, just to give them my form, have a photo taken, and give them my passport.

Commuting from Chiang Mai, id say now id rather pop up Thai Immigration here and pay 1900 Baht to have 30 more days in my passport, although your paying about 500 Baht more (after cost of visa/travelling to Mai Sai), id save myself 8 hours of driving/travelling!!

Got a few cheeky DVDs back through mind, no problem. :o

well i guess if u have the 3 passport photo ready b4 u went for the run, it might save some minutes :o

I dont think so as everyone had to wait their turn before submitting the form, then if you didnt have a photo, one would be taken in the same office in front of the computer. So get ready for a long wait. Unless youre in line before the peak times. I would say between 10am-3pm would be the peak times.

Went to Mae Sai on 27th July

So sounds like I just missed the fee increase and the long wait.

Went to shop and brought about 70 films the guy I brought from said if you have problems bring them back and I shall return your money.

Anyhow I was with my Thai family so we split them up abit my Thai GF went through before me and stupidly even put her shopping on the X ray machine even doing that the guy said don't worry and she and her family carried on through.

As for me not asked to show the money, I'm sure a Hello, how are you? bla bla converstations helps this as treat others how you wish to be treated.

Well can't wait for my next run.