French Bread Baking At Home

I am presently in Vietnam where you can get lovely fresh baked baguettes, batons and etc. I was at the supemarket today and watched as the bakery section prepared an endless flow of the above...I was within the heaving mass wanting to get at the scrumptous crusty product and I noticed that they had an apparatus designed specifically for purpose.

In Thailand I have a basic, non-digitally controlled cooker(see the 'oven' thread elsewhere) with an oven and all the ingredients for making bread are easily obtained. As I am not a rocket scientist I presume that other expat bread lovers have considered the same question...what does it take in terms of procedure to produce nice crusty french bread? undefined please advise regarding dough preparation, raising and baking (using a mold I would presume to preserve the classic look and feel of the loaf). I am aware that there is probably loads of info on the internet but I address this to expats in Thailand that have been succesful in execution.

To those of you that would snarl 'Why come to Thailand if you want to eat bread!!!???' I would say give it a rest...as other TV threads have indicated there is a rising swell of expatriates that want prime rib, burgers, hot dogs, edible bread, english curries and etc (cue the Marseillaise/Internationale...sung by the previously oppressed but now in triumph)

beware...we have nothing to lose but our chains to inedible thai 'cuisine'...I shall take my warm and crusty product, wallop it in my Suphanburi homemade calif/texas chilli and sneer...disrespectfully...

I have made some french breads a couple of times now and we are quite pleased with the result.

You can get all the ingredients as you stated in the supermarkets and you would some breadimprover as well (tip from a genuine baker)

the dough is prepared by my breadmachine and is a basic receipe only I add an egg and some olive oild for a more 'light and airy' bread and taste. Follow any receipe and at the final bake-off add a cup with water in your oven this will make the crust more crunchy. You do not need a mold just make the shape you like (baquette or pain) You can add some eggyok on the crust for some visual effects

Just try and follow any receipe from the web and try my additions

bon appetite,

J

I have made some french breads a couple of times now and we are quite pleased with the result.

You can get all the ingredients as you stated in the supermarkets and you would some breadimprover as well (tip from a genuine baker)

the dough is prepared by my breadmachine and is a basic receipe only I add an egg and some olive oild for a more 'light and airy' bread and taste. Follow any receipe and at the final bake-off add a cup with water in your oven this will make the crust more crunchy. You do not need a mold just make the shape you like (baquette or pain) You can add some eggyok on the crust for some visual effects

bon appetite,

J

thanks for the reply...is the bread machine that you speak of available in BKK? I understand that you just throw in all the ingerdients and the machine mixes and kneads...correct? Where does one find bread improver in Thailand? Also...do you just set a container of water in the oven next to the bread during baking to get the nice crunchy crust?

bon appetite,

J

thanks for the reply...is the bread machine that you speak of available in BKK? I understand that you just throw in all the ingerdients and the machine mixes and kneads...correct? Where does one find bread improver in Thailand? Also...do you just set a container of water in the oven next to the bread during baking to get the nice crunchy crust?

The BM I bought it in Europe in 1999 or os, but in Emporium or Siam Paragon they sell them as well

Also in Serie center 1st floor I believe

The breadimprover you can buy at Lotus, Carrefour and such

The water goes below/next to the bread for the last 30 minutes (forgot to mention that)

Usually you cook the bread on 200C for a while and than at 150 for another 30 minutes, thats when you put the water in

Let me know the outcome OK

J

I too would like to hear more... we've followed several different yeast-bread recipes and the results are boring and bland. I do think I've gotten better at the kneading part to get a good texture, but it is bland even when I used strong flour and kneaded it enough (I think). I want to make a nice sourdough. Is the only hope to follow one of those recipes to make "starter", where the flour and yeast has to churn away for many days until it is a stinky sludge?

Has anyone here made a wild yeast starter Thailand and had satisfactory bread? I'm a bit hesitant to try to learn this on my own since I might not recognize a true failure and end up poisoning myself. :o

• 2 weeks later...
"Breadimprover" - I've never heard of that before, do you mean yeast?

No, I mean breadimprover in the bigger supermarkets they sell the stuff next to the flour

There is a differene between breadimprover and yeast. All bakers use breadimprover to get their bread up :o

It's named like a chemical fomule like 3Kc or something, but easy to spot beacuse it says; breadimprover.

You replace like 15% of the flour wiht this stuff and all will turn out OK

J

Edited by jumbo

No, I mean breadimprover in the bigger supermarkets they sell the stuff next to the flour

There is a differene between breadimprover and yeast. All bakers use breadimprover to get their bread up :D

It's named like a chemical fomule like 3Kc or something, but easy to spot beacuse it says; breadimprover.

J

I have worked on an doff in my family's baking business over the years - 15% bread improver seems an awful lot - doesn't it impair the taste.

IMHO, ditch the improver and bake naturally - it won't last as long but once you master making bread, the stuff with no chemicals added will always taste better :o

Baguettes are made with ovens that are inject with steam during the baking process - put an ovenproof bowl, half-filled with water - see if that can help.

Also, french baguettes are kneaded in a special way - you can roll a piece of dough out into a long, thin sausage shape; fold each end in about 2/3s, and flatten out with your knuckles then roll into a baguette shape - don't forget to cut slits in the top of the bread - this will prevent air-bubbles forming.

Good luck!

Edited by The Dan Sai Kid

There is a differene between breadimprover and yeast. All bakers use breadimprover to get their bread up :D

J

I have worked on an doff in my family's baking business over the years - 15% bread improver seems an awful lot - doesn't it impair the taste.

IMHO, ditch the improver and bake naturally - it won't last as long but once you master making bread, the stuff with no chemicals added will always taste better :o

Baguettes are made with ovens that are inject with steam during the baking process - put an ovenproof bowl, half-filled with water - see if that can help.

Also, french baguettes are kneaded in a special way - you can roll a piece of dough out into a long, thin sausage shape; fold each end in about 2/3s, and flatten out with your knuckles then roll into a baguette shape - don't forget to cut slits in the top of the bread - this will prevent air-bubbles forming.

Good luck!

Yeah, you might be correct, I kind of thought it was 15% but anyway it wil show on the box howmuch to use. And I am out of it and not at home anyway....so I guessed

I think if you read the thread you will see thay have some problems with the rising when making it the traditional way. Maybe your knead tip will solve that

I will surely try it, any tips on making the bread rise to an acceptable level??

J

J

Good luck!

Yeah, you might be correct, I kind of thought it was 15% but anyway it wil show on the box howmuch to use. And I am out of it and not at home anyway....so I guessed

I think if you read the thread you will see thay have some problems with the rising when making it the traditional way. Maybe your knead tip will solve that

I will surely try it, any tips on making the bread rise to an acceptable level??

J

The heat here starts killing the potency of your yeast as soon as the packet is open - I usually keep mine in the freezer.

If you can get yeast in small portion sized packets then that would help. When you add the yeast to water you want it warm enough to stimulate the yeast, but not too hot so as it kills the yeast.

My Dad always maintains that dried yeast is no substitute for fresh yeast anyway - but I haven't a scooby onhow to get it in LOS.

J

[/quote

My Dad always maintains that dried yeast is no substitute for fresh yeast anyway - but I haven't a scooby onhow to get it in LOS.

I could make fine bread a long time ago in my homecountry. In Thailand it is impossible for me. The bread I get is very hard, like stones.

I have only tried dried yeast - I have never seen fresh yeast here in Isaan, where I am living.

Maybe the problem is the yeast? Anybody knows?

J

IMHO, ditch the improver and bake naturally - it won't last as long but once you master making bread, the stuff with no chemicals added will always taste better :D

Good luck!

J

The heat here starts killing the potency of your yeast as soon as the packet is open - I usually keep mine in the freezer.

If you can get yeast in small portion sized packets then that would help. When you add the yeast to water you want it warm enough to stimulate the yeast, but not too hot so as it kills the yeast.

Hi there,

Being a Baker & Confectioner before i changed into Purchasing i still have a good memory about the French Bread( which i have done for 14 years on a various Cruise Vessel - 5 of those years on a French Cruise Vessel ) . I don't think Commercial Bread Improver differs much the one you buy in shops for home use.... usually adding 3 % of the Flowerweight is common , you also find Bread Improvers where you add only 1,5 % of the Flower Weight . Usually this is stated on the Packet anyways. I used most of the time (including my Homebaking) dry Instant yeast (good brands are l'hirondelle or Saf) these Instant yeasts i have seen at a local Bakery shop but i also saw them at Makro , same applies for the bread improver.As for the Instant Yeast add it and mix it with all dry compounds...flour, salt, & Bread Improver and than add the Water. Dry Instant Yeast ...if i am remembering correctly it was uused 30-40 % of the weight that you would use from the Fresh yeast (but also good to douple check on the Package) For Bread Improver you might have to look on the Package of the origination of it ....my favorite Company is Puratos , but there are other good ones too.

For the French Bread do not add any eggs....add 2 % of butter ...that keeps the Bread fresh without making it soft on the Crust. Do not add any sugar which can be used as the substitute for the Bread Improver- that takes care (next to other advantages) of the browning of the Crust.

Proofing and Baking ...assuming you're at home. Let the shaped Baguettes rise (under a cotton Towel or similar) until about 60 % of its full size and then make the Cuts on top with either a Blade or a very sharp Knife(carefully! ). Baking , with a Convection Oven send the Baguettes with a good amount of steam at 230 degress Celsius after 8 minutes open the Vent to release the Steam . Let the heat drop to 195-200 Degrees Celsius . After a totoal 20 minutes and turning then Baking Tray you bake the Baguettes on once (back to front) the Bread should be ready .

Hope that helps for our future Home Bakers....

Good luck,

rcm :o

Edited by rcm

I only have found dried yeast and in small packs, the bread I made in the beginning was soft, you could eat it but it just didn't rise. So I found out about the breadimporver and that helped

However the DanSai Kid had a special way of kneading for frnech bread and i asked him if he had a special way for regular bread a well to make it rise

So basically breadimprover helps

In my home country I used an-all in one pack which also worked terrific, but haven't found that here yet as well as fresh yeast; never even heard of that.....anyone knows where to buy that in Thailand?

J

I only have found dried yeast and in small packs, the bread I made in the beginning was soft, you could eat it but it just didn't rise. So I found out about the breadimporver and that helped

However the DanSai Kid had a special way of kneading for frnech bread and i asked him if he had a special way for regular bread a well to make it rise

So basically breadimprover helps

In my home country I used an-all in one pack which also worked terrific, but haven't found that here yet as well as fresh yeast; never even heard of that.....anyone knows where to buy that in Thailand?

J

It is true that kneading and shaping of the bread plays a significant role too....but so does the quality of Flour....

Many factors that are involved to make the result good or even better (and maybe even bad... :o )

Never stop trying...it'll come right ,

rcm :D

The biggest problem for home maked breads in Thailand is:

Getting a good and fresh flour! Most of the flours in supermarkets are far to old and they just don't work.

Fresh yeast is not easy available, I am using dry yeast and it's fine. Nearly all of the big bread factories here are using it.

Bread improver: Should be used about 1-2% from the whole recipe amount(average bread recipe=

1Kg flour and 600ml water).

When I bake my bread at home I don't use it.

Start baking always with a high heat and with some steam, then gow down gradually with the heat.

I've stopped to make my own bread at home, to many friends found out and asked for it :o

You also can make braed with out any yeast:

Google for: berliner+sour, a bit more complicated but a great result if you like a german style bread.

Gerd

(Chef&Baker)

Getting a good and fresh flour! Most of the flours in supermarkets are far to old and they just don't work.

Fresh yeast is not easy available, I am using dry yeast and it's fine. Nearly all of the big bread factories here are using it.

Bread improver: Should be used about 1-2% from the whole recipe amount(average bread recipe=

Start baking always with a high heat and with some steam, then gow down gradually with the heat.

I've stopped to make my own bread at home, to many friends found out and asked for it :o

Google for: berliner+sour, a bit more complicated but a great result if you like a german style bread.

Gerd

(Chef&Baker)

gerd...what kind of baking gear do you have (ie., oven). Anyone else care to describe their baking arrangement? I gots me one of them basic/standard Whirlpool cookers with the temp gauge in the oven window...hard to control the temperature...

For 5 pieces of Barguette.

1 kg Flour

40 g fresh or dried yeast

3/8 l water ( lauwarm)

4 tsp salt

Flour and yeast and water mix together. Leave the yeast going for 15-20 mins. Then put salt and then knead. Sorry I can only describe in german. Leave again for 2.30 hours to get a double volume.

Cut into 5 pieces and making a barquette form, cover with piece of clothes to let it a volume again for 15 mins.

Put the temperature 220-250 c. Make a small cut on barguette form and spread with lauwarm water on the bread. Put a small cup with water in the oven and put the bread to bake for about 35-40 mins or if you see the bread has already nice color, then it is finished.

Bon Appertite !

For 5 pieces of Barguette.

1 kg Flour

40 g fresh or dried yeast

3/8 l water ( lauwarm)

4 tsp salt

Flour and yeast and water mix together. Leave the yeast going for 15-20 mins. Then put salt and then knead. Sorry I can only describe in german. Leave again for 2.30 hours to get a double volume.

Cut into 5 pieces and making a barquette form, cover with piece of clothes to let it a volume again for 15 mins.

Put the temperature 220-250 c. Make a small cut on barguette form and spread with lauwarm water on the bread. Put a small cup with water in the oven and put the bread to bake for about 35-40 mins or if you see the bread has already nice color, then it is finished.

Bon Appertite !

With all the earlier talk of bread machines, Kathe finally mentioned kneading and rising.

The bread machine is only used for this process, not the actual baking.

IMO, a bread machine is an expensive tool for this.

Gerd

(Chef&Baker)

gerd...what kind of baking gear do you have (ie., oven). Anyone else care to describe their baking arrangement? I gots me one of them basic/standard Whirlpool cookers with the temp gauge in the oven window...hard to control the temperature...

I am using two different oven but from Thailand(about 2000Baht each)available in Tesco, BigC etc.

I forgot to mention: When your bread is in the proving process do not forget to cover it with some plastic sheet otherwise the surface starts to dry out and cracks.

I am lucky to have some imported german bread mixes which are used in many hotels and bakery shops :D

Gerd

Hi, I have been making bread in Thailand since I arrived here (two years ago) I brought with me from England a bread maker (cost 1750 bt) and have used Thai flour and dried yeast and never had a problem. I have never had to use bread improver, I don't see the advantage of using it.

As an ex-baker of twenty years I can tell you that even under ideal conditions French bread is very tricky to make! I would never attempt to make it at home! let us all know how you get on.

Hi, I have been making bread in Thailand since I arrived here (two years ago) I brought with me from England a bread maker (cost 1750 bt) and have used Thai flour and dried yeast and never had a problem. I have never had to use bread improver, I don't see the advantage of using it.

As an ex-baker of twenty years I can tell you that even under ideal conditions French bread is very tricky to make! I would never attempt to make it at home! let us all know how you get on.

what?... 'don't try this at home?'...a number of posters on this thread have said that their efforts have resulted in a satisfactory product. In my original post I said that I was inspired to attempt the undertaking after watching bread production in a supermarket in HCMC under what appeared to be rudimentary circumstances (a tin device in the middle of the bakery section operated by a sweaty teenager loading gobs of dough after the fresh loaves fell out...a wonderful product)

what is needed is the weight of experience (I once attempted to make tortillas from surplus commodity corn meal in Eugene, Oregon in 1971 when on acid...an utter failure) an that is what I solicited on this thread...

please advise regarding the random pitfalls that one would encounter in an attempt to make homade french bread in rural thailand...otherwise, with respect I would suggest that your comment regarding the associated difficulties is without merit..

what?... 'don't try this at home?'...a number of posters on this thread have said that their efforts have resulted in a satisfactory product. In my original post I said that I was inspired to attempt the undertaking after watching bread production in a supermarket in HCMC under what appeared to be rudimentary circumstances (a tin device in the middle of the bakery section operated by a sweaty teenager loading gobs of dough after the fresh loaves fell out...a wonderful product)

what is needed is the weight of experience (I once attempted to make tortillas from surplus commodity corn meal in Eugene, Oregon in 1971 when on acid...an utter failure) an that is what I solicited on this thread...

please advise regarding the random pitfalls that one would encounter in an attempt to make homade french bread in rural thailand...otherwise, with respect I would suggest that your comment regarding the associated difficulties is without merit..

Have you tried to make french bread yet? if not how can you say my comments are without merit. In reply to your question : note the following:

1. You need a basic understanding of how to make bread, watching 'sweaty teenagers' is not enough.

2. You will need real French flour (never seen it in Thailand).

3. You will need to learn how to hand mould.

4. You will need to know how to keep the dough at the prime temp.

5. You will need to how to get steam into you oven to get the crust.

Etc.etc.etc.... I did not mean my answer to discourage you in any way, just to warn you that it is not easy (ask any real baker) very best of luck!!!!!!!!!!! :o

Have you tried to make french bread yet? if not how can you say my comments are without merit. In reply to your question : note the following:

1. You need a basic understanding of how to make bread, watching 'sweaty teenagers' is not enough.

Etc.etc.etc.... I did not mean my answer to discourage you in any way, just to warn you that it is not easy (ask any real baker) very best of luck!!!!!!!!!!! :o

Thanks Wolf!

It's difficult to explain this procedure and you need a "feeling" to do this.

Bakers, Chefs etc. have learned it through many hard years and tears when we were a young apprentice.

But as Wolf said: Good luck!

Gerd

You're certainly right about your points.....honestly , to get it a nice French Bread you need to improvise a lot when doing at home....Home appliances and Commercial Appliances are just not the same. It certainly needs the right amount of kneading with the right Shaping Technique too. This is specially needed as this is "strengthening" the Dough (makes the Gluten do what it is supposed to do - providing strenght).

About Flour . I have been doing French Bread with all kind of Flours. Naturally the french Flours were best , but you can get along and make Baguettes with German Flours, Dutch.....you will find some good flours suitable for Baguettes in many Countries(some Countries it just isn't poossible to find good flours though). Having done my baking on Cruise Vessels i can sing you a song about the variances of the Flour qualities. When Flour has questionable qualit ...thats when Bread Improver comes in handy.

Regardless, i do believe that some People do make decent baguettes at home....and those who aren't there yet. Don't give up trying , it'll come right one day.

I do certainly encourage Homebaking....it is possible to make decent French Bread at home , just need to get the swing of it ,

good luck,

You're certainly right about your points.....honestly , to get it a nice French Bread you need to improvise a lot when doing at home....Home appliances and Commercial Appliances are just not the same. It certainly needs the right amount of kneading with the right Shaping Technique too. This is specially needed as this is "strengthening" the Dough (makes the Gluten do what it is supposed to do - providing strenght).

About Flour . I have been doing French Bread with all kind of Flours. Naturally the french Flours were best , but you can get along and make Baguettes with German Flours, Dutch.....you will find some good flours suitable for Baguettes in many Countries(some Countries it just isn't poossible to find good flours though). Having done my baking on Cruise Vessels i can sing you a song about the variances of the Flour qualities. When Flour has questionable qualit ...thats when Bread Improver comes in handy.

Regardless, i do believe that some People do make decent baguettes at home....and those who aren't there yet. Don't give up trying , it'll come right one day.

I do certainly encourage Homebaking....it is possible to make decent French Bread at home , just need to get the swing of it ,

good luck,

well, indeed...I hadn't realized that there was a 'flour' question. Thailand not being a big bread consumer one would presume that the flour quality required for a good baguette may not be available. Here in VN where people eat bread there must be good flour available as the quality of bread is quite good...although I couldn't compare to France as I haven't been there in a while. After 6 years in the Gulf I'm more used to arabic bread which is a different product altogether.

to our respected bakers rcm, thaigerd and wolf359 what flour can you recommend when one attempts to make baguettes in Thailand keeping in mind the selection usually available at tescos, Carrefour, etc? How about Betty Crocker (to plug a national product as a patriotic American...)?

I've baked bread in the US for over thirty years, and I don't know what "bread improver" is. I do add gluten to some recipes or when using whole grain flours. Is gluten the same thing as bread improvers?

Bread machines do the whole bread mixing, kneading, rising, and baking process automatically. They can't do French bread, though. The baguette loaf shape and the need for the steam in the oven aren't possible in a bread machine. They do make good white and wheat bread, and some have a cycle of 60 to 80 minutes for a loaf, as well as the full 2.5 to 3.5 hours for a full cycle.

I've baked bread in the US for over thirty years, and I don't know what "bread improver" is. I do add gluten to some recipes or when using whole grain flours. Is gluten the same thing as bread improvers?

Bread machines do the whole bread mixing, kneading, rising, and baking process automatically. They can't do French bread, though. The baguette loaf shape and the need for the steam in the oven aren't possible in a bread machine. They do make good white and wheat bread, and some have a cycle of 60 to 80 minutes for a loaf, as well as the full 2.5 to 3.5 hours for a full cycle.

Hi there,

No, Gluten and Bread improver are not the same... The wording Bread Improver doesn't exist there(US). There is a variety of names available for "Bread Improver" (this starts with Bread Stabilizer... Dough conditioner..) , Gluten should only be added if the Flour doesn't have enough of it...too much turns the Baguette into something soft. and chewy - but Baguette should be crispy .... The US flour that i know (i mostly used the one from General mills but i have tried others too) has normally added Gluten already (just to mention one of the added things...), so if you try it without the extra Gluten you might even get a better result.

And you're right to make baguette in a Bread machine is impossible...the one thing you might want to try is the mixing the Dough in the Breadmaker and than you take the dough out and "do the handwork" . This is difficult to write about...better to show. It needs a good amount of "feeling" for this and also very important is the consistency of the Dough - too soft not good -too hard the same...

You can make decent Baguette without adding the Bread Improver ...the bread improver is often a good help to "equalize" problems that are caused due to bad flour quality or other possible problems.

As for the Baking you can do an artificial steam or so in your Oven...so you must imrovise there.

The best advise for Tutsiwarrior in regards of the flour, try to do mixtures of flour , high Gluten and bread Flour or mix whatever Brands you have available , you'll find the right mixture for sure. Just need to be patient and up for experiments.

keep trying and good luck,

rcm :o

• 1 month later...

I have been baking sourdough bread in a bread machine with just great results.

I make a 2 pound loaf.

The starter is dead easy-

In a non metal container put 1 cup of bread flour 1 cup of “warm” water” adds 1 packet of yeast “ I got tired of trying to do it the “natural way”. Cover with a cloth and let sit overnight.

In the first few hours it will start to bubble, this is good. You should very soon start to smell the sourdough.

Use this recipe as a basic sourdough recipe and you are good to go.

· 2 Cups of sponge (proofed starter)

· 3 Cups of unbleached flour “bread flour is just fine”

· 2 tablespoons of olive oil or softened margarine

· 4 teaspoons of sugar

· 2 teaspoons of salt

YOU CAN'T BUY BREAD THIS GOOD!

I have been baking sourdough bread in a bread machine with just great results.

I make a 2 pound loaf.

The starter is dead easy-

In a non metal container put 1 cup of bread flour 1 cup of “warm” water” adds 1 packet of yeast “ I got tired of trying to do it the “natural way”. Cover with a cloth and let sit overnight.

In the first few hours it will start to bubble, this is good. You should very soon start to smell the sourdough.

Use this recipe as a basic sourdough recipe and you are good to go.

· 2 Cups of sponge (proofed starter)

· 3 Cups of unbleached flour “bread flour is just fine”

· 2 tablespoons of olive oil or softened margarine

· 4 teaspoons of sugar

· 2 teaspoons of salt

YOU CAN'T BUY BREAD THIS GOOD!

sounds good jc...can you use part of the old starter to begin a new batch?...and are you sure that 2 cups of starter are required for 3 cups of flour?...

man,...if I could make a nice sourdough inna machine I'd be in heaven...have that wonderful sourdough smell in the kitchen when the kids get home from school?...they would mow me down...