Violence breaks out in Mandalay

SeaVisionBurma

The death toll of Buddhist-Muslim violence in Mandalay now stands at two, with 13 people reportedly injured since tensions erupted on July 1.

From The Myanmar Times, by Kayleigh Long

mdy-10.gif

The death toll of Buddhist-Muslim violence in Mandalay now stands at two, with 13 people reportedly injured since tensions erupted on July 1.
The Myanmar Times and AFP confirmed with police on the morning of July 3 that two had been killed – one Buddhist, and one Muslim.
On the morning of July 3, 51-year-old bicycle shop owner and associate of interfaith activists U Soe Min was attacked as he went to attend morning prayers at South Oe Bo mosque.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been to Mandalay before (last year) and to be honest there wasn't much happening after 9pm back then even without a curfew. Incidentally, I had been to Muse on the CHinese border passing through Lashio, which only 3 weeks after I went through also had a serious riot with a temporary curfew. Weeks earlier same thing in Meiktila, more than half way from Yangon to Mandalay, which we bypassed (being on the expressway) but we did stop at the Meiktila truck stop, which obviously showed no evidence of what happened weeks earlier as it affected the town, not the highway truck stop.