Why are kindergarten kids forced to have afternoon nap?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Up to six?

Now that is unusual. Of the many schools I have taught in over 16 years they stop sleeping in the afternoon at 4 years.

I have never seen any children "forced to sleep". They all seem to enjoy it.

agreed, my now 5 year old has no more naps, that stopped last year.

I remember when i was in Kindergarten we had naps as well.

I asked my sons (he is 5) school to stop making him sleep as he cannot sleep until at least 10pm every night, they said it is Legislation for pre school children and he must lie down....so this is a government policy.

I think everyone should take naps in the afternoon.

When my daughter moved to A3 this year, I was surprised they stopped the naps. Fortunately, she adjusted with no problem.

I think it is a pretty silly thing to complain about.

• Like 2

Naps should be optional as some kids need them and some don't.

For the kids who need them 45 minutes be a good length of time.

Personally I would love an afternoon siesta - I have just made a note to start soon...

I work at home and my wife tells me all the time I should take a nap.

It is nice. But I'm an early to bed early to rise kinda guy, so it can really throw that off.

Pastafarian. Kindergartens in western countries also get the children to have a nap. And when learning to " study" it's very tiring for those little brains. But in saying that many Thais also take a nap after lunch. Part of life

We were told they had to take naps because they need a break through the long day otherwise they would be too sleepy in the afternoon to learn or do their work. The school only brought nap time in for KG3 (6 y/olds) during the last year I was teaching. I had more kids dozing off in the afternoon (after napping) that year than any previous.

Not surprisingly those that enjoy having a dig at Thais have turned up, as have those that like to accuse every OP of being anti-Thai regardless of what they actually wrote. For those that have said kindergarten children in the west also have afternoon naps you obviously didn't read my original post. My daughter attended a kindergarten in Belgium last year and all kids were awake all day, no afternoon naps were forced on them, if the parents wanted to take them home at lunchtime they could.

Most nursery schools worldwide (2-4yrs old) allow kids an afternoon nap but not at kindergarten which is 4-6 years old and most kids of this age have stopped having an afternoon nap. It is a waste of about two and a half hours every day, that is over 12hrs a week wasted as only about 3-4 kids actually do sleep, the rest just lie there rolling around or kicking their legs in the air...for over two hours! They could be learning or doing other activities in that time. My own mother used to work in a kindergarten over 10yrs ago in the UK and I've also checked with her, only those in nursery would have a nap back then, not those in KG1-3 which is what they still do here.

I'm getting on a bit......so the memory may be a bit dodgy. But I can't remember having naps in kinder. But that was also the day and age where there wasn't TV and children went to bed early. Now, they seem to go to bed very late and not only in Thailand, but where I live too. In summer when it is warm, reasonably small kids are playing in the square, well away from their habitation. So if they are up to 10 or 11, maybe they have to have that little siesta in the PM.

Little children need a lot of sleep . They start school at 8am and have a fairly intensive morning of study , lunch and then an afternoon rest .

That was considered correct practice when my children were little , even at home . At 13yrs old I went to an English Public School , where we all had an hour's rest after lunch . My wife is a head teacher of a Kindergarten . All her children have a sleep or lie down , they are then bathed and powdered before going home .

My son went to 2 different nurseries and both had a nap time for the children who wanted it, the very few who did not nap were left to do other activities. Nobody forced them and it was for a brief 45 minutes after lunch and games. The children enjoyed it. I know of many schools here in bangkok and it always stops in kintergarden at 4yrs, mostly earlier.

Edit : As Toscano said above, the nursery children were bathed and powdered and well rested and fresh when leaving school.

Edited by saakura

I remember in my first UK school having a sleep in the afternoons. We even had fold up beds to use. From memory I believe it has a physical development role. When small children were measured after running around and playing during morning and lunchtime activities they lose about 0.25 inches. Lying down for a short while in the afternoon allows the body to regain its normal size.

We had naps back when I was in kindergarten. Even at that young age I somehow understood it was as much, if not more, for the teacher. You try leading a room full of those kids without a break! Also some quiet time is good to allow the brain to integrate whatever sort of learning has taken place. I always thought was lacking in higher grades. No time to reflect. It is not wasted time.

Maybe you're the one far behind? I schooled in NYC, NY. We didn't sleep all afternoon as you claim. Though we did take time to rest our heads on the table. Don't know what our good teachers were doing. I was resting. Sleep depravation is serious issue and not always seen by the trained or untrained eye. It is addressed in the book Christians use as their bible. Look for it. You will be more grateful and less looking for fault and pointing fingers. You can be sure of that. Are you a tired old lady? Or just enjoy bitching about the country that hosts you. Or is bitching in general your strong suit. Get a life.