Why are kindergarten kids forced to have afternoon nap?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When i was a kid, we had to take a nap too. I was always jerking off because i couldn't sleep.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Don't feel too bad. That is actually a very common thing for young kids.

I had naptime in preschool in the US in the 1970's, I hated it (my parents were very permissive about letting me sleep when I wanted, not a schedule). I mostly pretended to nap while trying to engage other kids (rolling a ball, making eye contact, whispering, whatever), Some kids were out cold though for the whole hour, so guess they needed it. The irony is that as an adult I LOVE naptime, lie down after a quick bite at 12:30 or 1:00 and snooze for an hour - that is living the dream. Some of my employers have even had facilities for staff to lie down & nap, 100% support it. I have my best thoughts when sleeping, not unusual to have a problem that seems intractable, go to sleep and wake up a few hours later with everything sorted out.

There is a lot to be said for that mini-nap and it can assist receptiveness in many people of all ages. As to your final crack- I was tempted to give you a more in depth explanation into your query but you have just shown yourself to be a bit slow and certainly not deserving of the effort or respect. Some people take naps. Some are just out to lunch. :bah:

There is a lot to be said for that mini-nap and it can assist receptiveness in many people of all ages. As to your final crack- I was tempted to give you a more in depth explanation into your query but you have just shown yourself to be a bit slow and certainly not deserving of the effort or respect. Some people take naps. Some are just out to lunch. :bah:

Techboy, who are you addressing? Why not use the quote tool?

whistling.gif Never been a teacher who had to try to teach a class of spoiled screaming "little darlings" at that age have you?

With parents who "never discipline" their children but want to "reason with them" like adults.

The reason they are forced to sleep (or at least be quiet) is to give the teacher a break so he/she won't go insane

Spoiled rotten they are. The parents expect the teacher to undo their years of coddling and somehow teach their precious little darlings to learn to live in a social setting with other children.

They have to learn that, "No Jimmy, you can't empty that bottle of water on Jenny's head just because you want that truck that she's playing with now".

Parent's often expect teachers to teach that to their children who have never heard their parents say "No" to them.

That's why it takes a special teacher to teach children of those ages.

They don't necessarily have to sleep, but they need to learn the discipline that they will need later for school.

Do you think teaching young children to learn to accept discipline in order to function in a organized society with rules you must follow is easy?

Try it sometime.

Sorry, this is not only still happening in Thailand. Kindergartens in the USA still do this. At a school I worked at just last year in the USA, some parents are like you and did not like their children taking naps in the afternoon, but that was the policy. At least one parent just took their kid home at lunch, as they didn't like the policy.

So it's not just a Thai thing, this one.

There are some unfortunate "side effects" from sleeping every afternoon in kindergarten.

When the kids go on to Prathom 1 they seem to be tired, uncontrollable, falling asleep - and have very short attention spans in the afternoons. Why? Because now they have to learn instead of doing what they've been doing since nursery - sleeping.

At least 3 kids in the Wednesday P1 class I teach in, just after lunch, announce that "now they want to sleep" - fold their arms and sleep with their heads on the table. smile.png

It would be nice if KG3 kids were gradually weaned off the sleeping ritual in their last term, so that they were perhaps more prepared for the longer periods of learning in the Prathom classes.

...........and no, any sleeping kids are not woken up (unless in P4, P5 or P6!). rolleyes.gif

There are some unfortunate "side effects" from sleeping every afternoon in kindergarten.

When the kids go on to Prathom 1 they seem to be tired, uncontrollable, falling asleep - and have very short attention spans in the afternoons. Why? Because now they have to learn instead of doing what they've been doing since nursery - sleeping.

At least 3 kids in the Wednesday P1 class I teach in, just after lunch, announce that "now they want to sleep" - fold their arms and sleep with their heads on the table. smile.png

It would be nice if KG3 kids were gradually weaned off the sleeping ritual in their last term, so that they were perhaps more prepared for the longer periods of learning in the Prathom classes.

...........and no, any sleeping kids are not woken up (unless in P4, P5 or P6!). rolleyes.gif

I don't think I would agree with you that its a learned or conditioned trait.

Perhaps the origin of classroom naptime is from so many kids feeling tired after their meal that teachers long ago recognized it was best to just schedule it.

My grand daughter is a teacher in the US and she said parents are against naptime in school. Seems they feel their kids have too much energy in the evenings and the parents would rather their children came home tired and went straight to bed. Parents being too busy with other interests or bringing their work home?

Cheers

At one time, all over Europe (Not just Spain), an after lunch nap was quite common. At the time, it was also common for people to sleep twice at night. They would sleep for about 4 hours, wake-up, do some house work or meet friends, then go back to sleep for another 2 or 3 hours and wake in the morning. These habits came from hundreds of thousands of years of development. Just look at the other animals in the world. A great deal of them take naps during the day.

This pretty much stopped with the industrial revolution. Then everything became 'by the clock'. 'Time is money' and all that crap. Sleep habits changed with the times.

Now, because it is habit to NOT take naps, the nap has gotten a bad rap by many. People's, often, first thoughts for not appreciating them has to do with productivity and wasted time.

It's really unfortunate that we have moved away from this.

• Like 1

At one time, all over Europe (Not just Spain), an after lunch nap was quite common. At the time, it was also common for people to sleep twice at night. They would sleep for about 4 hours, wake-up, do some house work or meet friends, then go back to sleep for another 2 or 3 hours and wake in the morning. These habits came from hundreds of thousands of years of development. Just look at the other animals in the world. A great deal of them take naps during the day.

This pretty much stopped with the industrial revolution. Then everything became 'by the clock'. 'Time is money' and all that crap. Sleep habits changed with the times.

Now, because it is habit to NOT take naps, the nap has gotten a bad rap by many. People's, often, first thoughts for not appreciating them has to do with productivity and wasted time.

It's really unfortunate that we have moved away from this.

I didn't know that. I thought i used to get up half way through the night just cause I had to pee.

;-)

Just to clarify.

No, I don't enjoy or regularly bitch about the country that is hosting me but at the same time I don't feel we have to agree with everything that goes on here and not question anything that affects us or our families. I'm very happy living here and have been for many years, a trial move away last year didn't work out as we realised we'd generally be happier in Thailand so came back but I care about my daughter and feel that the 12-15hrs wasted every week for 2-3 yrs could be used more wisely.

I'm well aware kids need afternoon naps but not right up to the age of six, most have stopped their afternoon nap by around 4yrs old which is why I'm questioning the need to have a sleep/rest period of almost 3hrs every afternoon which is what they do in every kindergarten school where I live, not just KG1 but also KG2 & KG3.

So to reiterate, I know young kids need afternoon naps/rest time but they don't up to the age of six and definitely not for almost 3hrs every afternoon. It would be nice if people read the original post propery before commenting and also be sure that what they are saying is correct.

Just to clarify.

No, I don't enjoy or regularly bitch about the country that is hosting me but at the same time I don't feel we have to agree with everything that goes on here and not question anything that affects us or our families. I'm very happy living here and have been for many years, a trial move away last year didn't work out as we realised we'd generally be happier in Thailand so came back but I care about my daughter and feel that the 12-15hrs wasted every week for 2-3 yrs could be used more wisely.

I'm well aware kids need afternoon naps but not right up to the age of six, most have stopped their afternoon nap by around 4yrs old which is why I'm questioning the need to have a sleep/rest period of almost 3hrs every afternoon which is what they do in every kindergarten school where I live, not just KG1 but also KG2 & KG3.

So to reiterate, I know young kids need afternoon naps/rest time but they don't up to the age of six and definitely not for almost 3hrs every afternoon. It would be nice if people read the original post propery before commenting and also be sure that what they are saying is correct.

I assume you are referring to my comments when you talk about bitching about this country.

My comments were never directed at you. They were directed at some of the dumbass comments that came after like the ones saying that it is practice for working in Thailand.

A positive way to attack a 'problem' is to come up with a 'solution'.

Here's such a 'solution': use that 'sleeping' time teaching the kids to swim.

Given that figures suggest there are more than 2600 Thai children drowning each year, that's 2600/365 = 7/day !!, then teaching them to swim would be a sensible thing to do.

A cheap above ground pool is sufficient. Oh, and some dedicated teachers, as well as the will in government circles to actually face up to the problem and fix it.

http://swimsafe.org/drowning/drowning-data/

When I was in my kindergarten time which was a decade ago, we had perhaps 45mins nap after lunch, never heard about 2-3hrs.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I think quotes of 2-3 hours are either exaggerations or rare cases. It certainly is not the norm.

The longest I've ever seen teachers let students sleep is 1.5 hours. And that was usually just a few students who had now awoken yet. After about an hour, students start getting up and teachers get busy with washing faces, going to the toilet and brushing teeth.

When I was in my kindergarten time which was a decade ago, we had perhaps 45mins nap after lunch, never heard about 2-3hrs.

I think quotes of 2-3 hours are either exaggerations or rare cases. It certainly is not the norm.

The longest I've ever seen teachers let students sleep is 1.5 hours. And that was usually just a few students who had now awoken yet. After about an hour, students start getting up and teachers get busy with washing faces, going to the toilet and brushing teeth.

I don't have kids, but my sisters do. I am not sure if it's about lifestyle here in Asia. But it seems to me that they let kids take afternoon nap about an hour for the first year in kindergarten. Then less for the following year so that can adjust.

It's not only Farang's parent wonder about this matter. Thai parents as well. Some even upset if they feel that their kids don't get enough afternoon nap ^_^

Will this help?

https://www.cns.umass.edu/about/newsletter/january-2014/spencer-finds-classroom-naps-support-learning-in-preschoolers

Edited by Cuddlycat

Elementary kids in japan also have naps (p1 and i believe 2). In china they do it too. Im assuming they also do it in Korea, but i didnt teach elementary there. I wouldnt suggest its a thai thing. Its maybe an East asian thing. Perhaps its just that lunch is kinda heavy sometimes with a rice diet and theres an invariable crash. So schools allow a set time for napping. In fact now i think about it, theres a class at 12.30 (unscheduled) at my school (lunch starts at 11.55, the next official class is 1.30) where teh curtains are drawn, the lights are off and even my middle school kids nap on their desk.

Just to clarify.

Now its 3 hours? Yes, 3 hours is quite long...although I don't know if trying to optimize production levels in kindergarteners should be the motivation.

The schools where I work the Nursery, KG 1, KG 2 and KG 3 have a nap. KG 3 will have a nap for the first semester and then in the 2nd semester the nap is discontinued.

Young children need more sleep than older kids. The nap starts after they finish their lunch and lasts for the next period which is 50 minutes long. So altogether they can get about 1 1/2 hours of sleep, depending on how long their lunch takes. Nursery and KG 1 students usually have to be woken up. KG 2 and 3 are generally starting to wake up on their own at the end of the nap.

Most teachers complain bitterly if they have to teach the students in KG 3 right after lunch. The learning is much better after they have had the nap. We try to insure that students have a different subject each day after lunch so one particular subject doesn't get taught during that period.

Some of these children endure a very long day. They are picked up by a school bus, or dropped off by their parents around 7:00 a.m. and picked up at 4:30 or 5:00 p.m. (The actual time when classes finish is 4:00). Depending on where they live, the trip home might be long as well. So, yes, a nap is in order and there is enough time in such a long day to get all the teaching done.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Just to clarify.

I assume you are referring to my comments when you talk about bitching about this country.

My comments were never directed at you. They were directed at some of the dumbass comments that came after like the ones saying that it is practice for working in Thailand.

I think you'll find that the comment 'it is practice for working in Thailand.' was humour, I certainly took it as such, it made me chuckle....

It seems to me that there are a lot of people on this forum lacking the 'sense of humour ' gene...

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Just to clarify.

I think you'll find that the comment 'it is practice for working in Thailand.' was humour, I certainly took it as such, it made me chuckle....

It seems to me that there are a lot of people on this forum lacking the 'sense of humour ' gene...

You are correct. It is humor at the expense of someone who is not here to protect to defend themselves.

I

A troll post deleted.

I don't know of any schools where the teacher decides about nap time. It is a decision made by the administration of the school. References to teachers being too lazy to teach are unfair. In my experience, the teacher has remain with the students and has to stay awake. Plenty of little ones need to get up, use the restroom and there is the occasional bed wetting.

• Like 1

A troll post deleted.

I don't know of any schools where the teacher decides about nap time. It is a decision made by the administration of the school. References to teachers being too lazy to teach are unfair. In my experience, the teacher has remain with the students and has to stay awake. Plenty of little ones need to get up, use the restroom and there is the occasional bed wetting.

Thai teachers generally work a lot more and harder than farang teachers. When you are off on Saturdays, Sundays and all those holidays, these poor teachers have to go into the school instead of being with their families. Also, many of you teachers might notice, they are there when you arrive and when you leave.

I have a lot of respect for most Thai teachers. They work in a system with no support, working with kids they have to worry about offending that could bring some stupid complaints from hostile parents. And, all of this, for less than $300usd a month.

• Like 1