Why are kindergarten kids forced to have afternoon nap?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A troll post deleted.

I don't know of any schools where the teacher decides about nap time. It is a decision made by the administration of the school. References to teachers being too lazy to teach are unfair. In my experience, the teacher has remain with the students and has to stay awake. Plenty of little ones need to get up, use the restroom and there is the occasional bed wetting.

Thai teachers generally work a lot more and harder than farang teachers. When you are off on Saturdays, Sundays and all those holidays, these poor teachers have to go into the school instead of being with their families. Also, many of you teachers might notice, they are there when you arrive and when you leave.

I have a lot of respect for most Thai teachers. They work in a system with no support, working with kids they have to worry about offending that could bring some stupid complaints from hostile parents. And, all of this, for less than $300usd a month.

You are saying Thai teachers work harder than farang teachers that are teaching in thailand, correct?

To suggest the work harder than farang teachers in the US would be false.

Thai teachers generally work a lot more and harder than farang teachers. When you are off on Saturdays, Sundays and all those holidays, these poor teachers have to go into the school instead of being with their families. Also, many of you teachers might notice, they are there when you arrive and when you leave.

I have a lot of respect for most Thai teachers. They work in a system with no support, working with kids they have to worry about offending that could bring some stupid complaints from hostile parents. And, all of this, for less than $300usd a month.

You are saying Thai teachers work harder than farang teachers that are teaching in thailand, correct?

To suggest the work harder than farang teachers in the US would be false.

I think most any teacher teaching in their own country works much harder than the vast majority of Farang teachers in Thailand.

This includes Thai teachers.

• Like 1

The schools where I work the Nursery, KG 1, KG 2 and KG 3 have a nap. KG 3 will have a nap for the first semester and then in the 2nd semester the nap is discontinued.

Young children need more sleep than older kids. The nap starts after they finish their lunch and lasts for the next period which is 50 minutes long. So altogether they can get about 1 1/2 hours of sleep, depending on how long their lunch takes. Nursery and KG 1 students usually have to be woken up. KG 2 and 3 are generally starting to wake up on their own at the end of the nap.

Most teachers complain bitterly if they have to teach the students in KG 3 right after lunch. The learning is much better after they have had the nap. We try to insure that students have a different subject each day after lunch so one particular subject doesn't get taught during that period.

Some of these children endure a very long day. They are picked up by a school bus, or dropped off by their parents around 7:00 a.m. and picked up at 4:30 or 5:00 p.m. (The actual time when classes finish is 4:00). Depending on where they live, the trip home might be long as well. So, yes, a nap is in order and there is enough time in such a long day to get all the teaching done.

Thank you Scott.

The most sensible answer yet. It really does help when you know what you are talking about.clap2.gif

• Like 1

Most kids have stopped having an afternoon nap by the time they are 3-4yrs old yet all kindergarten schools here in Thailand force their students to either have one,

Not true.

A local one here has sleep-time for K1 and K2.

K3 (ages 4-6, start at 4-5yrs old, finish 5-6 yrs old) don't have any sleep-time and have classtime through out the day.

I asked my sons (he is 5) school to stop making him sleep as he cannot sleep until at least 10pm every night, they said it is Legislation for pre school children and he must lie down....so this is a government policy.

Don't believe anything they tell you.

Ever.

Ever.

For those of you who are too busy lifting bottles of beer to your useless little mouths, let me tell you something; most of the people on the face of the Earth are more like Thais than like Europeans and descendants of Europeans. Perhaps they know something you have failed to understand.

Yup.

It's just that Europeans and descendants of Europeans have pretty much discovered or invented everything over the past 1000 years.

How many non-Western universities make up the World's top 20?

No need to answer.

• Like 1

How come we keep questioning things Granny already knows? Every kid I knew growing up had an afternoon nap. An hour at least. I remember this because I was playing with an older sibling and we had to "quiet down. It's time for Jimmy's nap" or go outside.

A study from the University of Colorado in Boulder found that children who missed their afternoon nap showed less joy and interest, more anxiety, and poorer problem solving skills than other children. The same can be seen in adults that benefit from napping.

Researchers at Berkeley found an hour nap to dramatically increase learning ability and memory. Naps sort of provide a reboot, where the short term memory is cleared out and our brain becomes refreshed with newly defragged space.

So I guess the teacher being lazy theory is total BS and it's not a "waste of time" after all considering major corporations are promoting naps.

'nuff said

~

• Like 1

I've always thought that the whole world would be a better place if everybody took a nap each day.

Most anyone teaching the young ones will tell you that when they stop the naps, the learning decreases notably.