Can't stand the idiocy of LOS anymore! Guidance for Cambodian business (O) visa needed.

Esteemed members,

I am currently on Non-O (WP) Volunteer's Visa in Thailand.

In all honesty, it was an option I took to stay legally during current times. Yes, I am contributing what was required as a volunteer.

4 years short of the retirement visa age. Thus had been exploiting TV's and visa exempt entries. All in all, had gone through my first passport and half the second hitherto.

Initially, I do not have any inclinations to work nor start a business in LOS but simply enjoyed living on a modest passive income from overseas.

But times are a changing now, so I finally made the decision to start a long had been incubated endeavour.

I had made an effort to start a Social Enterprise business in Agriculture.

Apart from the legalese of finance, all the other requirements and sub criteria are purely stupid. (IMO)

As averse to the idea of having Thai partners being the majority, I decide to abide by these 'protective' laws.

However, what happened today completely wipes out LOS appeal to me. I am just sickened by its nonsensical laws and ludicrous bi-laws.

After eventually, submitting to agree on appointing 5 Thais that will own 51% of the business. The onus was on me to finance all the paid capital. Then...

1. Ensure those appointed 5 appointed shareholders have enough money in their bank accounts.

2. Proves that the money has or had been in the account for at least the last 6 months, updated to the day of the business being registered.

3. Ensure those money were not rigged by me as it is illegal to do so.

I was forewarned that it would be scrutinized.

How in the name of Jesus, Dalai Lama and Superman can I do that?

Appointing 5 Thais to be on board the business with much reluctance are already tedious enough.

Ensuring the above would be beyond me.

I had it!!!

Thus, esteemed members do advice and guide me as to the do's and how's, in obtaining :

1. Business (O) Visa with yearly extension in country. As soon as, I set my foot on Cambodian soil.

2. Modest and safe place to live with average modern amenities such as WiFi and good plumbing.

I do not have a need for bars or clubs. Just an average house or a condo that's convenient enough.

I really need to get out of this Land of the Absurd and Lunacy.

Now with only splinters of charm left to savour for the rest of my life.

Btw, I hold 2 passport Singapore and UK.

Thank you.

Edited by Bangkok45
  • Like 1

In addition to above, mention (at the border) that you want a business visa and not an ordinary Tourist visa, as TR visas are only (AFAIK) extendable for 1 Month and Business Visa are extendable for 1 Year.

If questioned why you want a Business Visa, just say: "I need some time in Cambodia to explore my possibilities to open a Business" ;)

Sent from my iPad so Please excuse any typos

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

1. There's no such thing as a business visa - it's an ordinary visa as opposed to a tourist visa.

2. No-one questions why you want one.

E visa or T visa

Simple; arrive in Cambodia pay $25 for an ordinary visa (plus possibly a tiny bribe of less than $5 if necessary) for one month. Extend at any travel agent for one year multiple entry for $285 (or thereabouts).

Live; anywhere like a Khmer in one room for $40-60/month (fan and possibly a hob), like a rich Khmer (1 bed flat with rubbish kitchen, fan and maybe a/c - electricity is expensive) for $150/month + bills. Pay more up to $2,000+ a month for better facilities and larger places. I pay $550 all in (including all bills etc.) for a Western style hotel apartment with maid service in Siem Reap. Phnom Penh is more expensive, Sihanoukville and the rest of the country is cheaper. As they say in Asia; "it's up to you".

Any recommendation as to the name of any Western type hotel apartment in the range you quoted?

As its a good deal compared to what I'm paying just for my house alone here.

Thank you.

In addition to above, mention (at the border) that you want a business visa and not an ordinary Tourist visa, as TR visas are only (AFAIK) extendable for 1 Month and Business Visa are extendable for 1 Year.

If questioned why you want a Business Visa, just say: "I need some time in Cambodia to explore my possibilities to open a Business" ;)

1. There's no such thing as a business visa - it's an ordinary visa as opposed to a tourist visa.

2. No-one questions why you want one.

Thank you for the guidance, gentlemen. ^_^

Sent from my iris405+ using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

To get the right deal, you need to be here - apartments come and go pretty quick. Stay in a guesthouse for a few days and you'll work it out in no time.

Noted. Already started packing and searching online for movers for my stuff.

Cancel the WP and I'm off. Thanks again.

@Bangkok45

Before you pack your bags and move to Cambodia, 1st go there on a extended Holiday/ orientation. The reason being as many of my Friends and myself (lived in Cambodia for well over a Year) said "You either like it or you don't".

The best of luck whatever you decide.

• Like 2

@Bangkok45

Before you pack your bags and move to Cambodia, 1st go there on a extended Holiday/ orientation. The reason being as many of my Friends and myself (lived in Cambodia for well over a Year) said "You either like it or you don't".

The best of luck whatever you decide.

Thanks for the advise. I had indeed been to Cambodia for holiday twice.

Then again its different while there as tourist compared to staying put for a long time.

But I can't really stand the idiocy of subjecting myself at the whims and fancies of whoever is in power.

Complex business laws and bi-laws that's beyond sense it would make Stephen Hawking's 'A Brief History of Time' an easy read.

Supposedly, second biggest economy. Yet, all in charge of governing the nation managed to drive the economy to tatters.

Hahaha... Well, I'll live and let live. Thank you for your kind advise once again.

Lastly, anyone knows how can I bring my dogs over once I have settled down?

Re. idiocy: I know what you mean,but my problem is. I fell in Love with a Thai Girl (married her already) and so I am bound to stay in Thailand (but things are changing) ;)

Re. Dogs: I bought my Dog (wolf like with beautiful eyes) in Cambodia when I lived there and i took it back with me (when I came back to Thailand) and nobody at the border could be bothered. I have no idea what it is the other way around, but I suspect if you can show it has its vaccinations etc you should be fine, but I hope a member with more experience in this will chip in

Again, the best of luck

• Like 1

OP, if you have dogs you will not be able to rent an apartment, you will need to look for a house.

While Cambodian Visa rules are more lax, it is just as corrupt if not more.

Cambodia also has its own idiocy.

You also need to keep in mind, if you do get sick and do have health cover, you will actually be flown to Thailand. There is Bangkok Hospital in Phnom Phen, but anything serious and they fly you to Bangkok

Cambodia is much more foreigner friendly, but its not an easy place to live, it really is a 3rd world country in my opinion.

I am not too certain, but many people praise the life in Indonesia,, just a thought.

• Like 1

OP, if you have dogs you will not be able to rent an apartment, you will need to look for a house.

While Cambodian Visa rules are more lax, it is just as corrupt if not more.

Cambodia also has its own idiocy.

You also need to keep in mind, if you do get sick and do have health cover, you will actually be flown to Thailand. There is Bangkok Hospital in Phnom Phen, but anything serious and they fly you to Bangkok

Cambodia is much more foreigner friendly, but its not an easy place to live, it really is a 3rd world country in my opinion.

I am not too certain, but many people praise the life in Indonesia,, just a thought.

Noted. The apartment is just a temporary measure while I search for a suitable house when I'm there. Need space as I have a brood.

My girlfriend is flying in to LOS and takeover caring for them while I make the third big move since retiring 6 years ago.

The original plan was to finally call LOS home not only for fiscal reasons but truly loves the open spaces and tranquil settings.

But it was exhausting in LOS having to navigate visa issues was too much of a chore.

Business...I'll be damned! Thus had made up my mind for the charms of LOS are but a flickering existence now.

Anyway, lived in Jakarta for slightly more than 3 years while posted there working. Hmm...it was ok, but just not my kind of place to retire.

First base after retiring was Malaysia, a big mistake...hahaha, then to LOS hitherto, soon to be over.

Well, I'm only 46 thus still have the energy to make decisions as how to run my life. The way I choose...with prudence, of course.

Not dictated by the stupidity of the ruling power and always feel like living life being at their mercy. It negates the fact that I'm retired.

Thanks for your advise, really appreciate it :D

I'm lost as to what's hard about living in Cambodia. Unless you have a serious medical condition, it's the easiest place to live that I have ever been. And I've lived in nearly a dozen countries in Europe, Africa and Asia so I have something to reference it against. I live in Siem Reap but I have also lived in Phnom Penh. It's been easy to find everything that I have needed in both cities about from large pairs of jeans and large pairs of trainers (sneakers if you like); those I've had to purchase in Vietnam or Thailand.Travel between cities can be a tad gruelling and is not something you want to do every week because of the rubbish roads but travel in cities is much, much easier than travel in Bangkok and much, much cheaper - I've never had a tuk-tuk driver try to rip me off.

In Siem Reap there are nearly 400 restaurants and in 90% of those restaurants a decent meal can be had for $3-4, that includes both local, Asian and Western foods. There are fewer options in Phnom Penh but the same is true there and there must be 100-150 tourist/expat oriented places there. I'd say that gettting a decent Thai meal here is challenging but that the Western food is much better than in Thailand.

Note: It's perfectly possible to rent an apartment if you have dogs. It's just better for the dogs to rent a house so it has outdoor space to run about in.

• Like 1

lived in Thailand for long time , so moved to Cambodia in 2008 an stayed 10 months an moved back to LOS.

thought about it again in 2012 and drove all over ( have made numerous trips in between) sr, pp, battambang, Kep, Kampot, Shv

After 3 months back to Phuket.

for me, i have gone thru the find out where everything is stage here and am happy with what have here, my friends and life style ( i love the beach here)

Have land in Kep & Svay Rieng (with my gf) but that's only when los really wears me down.

Don't let $$ enter into where you live. what is important is where your the most happy

AS to a business in Thailand , you can open an American company ( if your American or have a friend that is) No Thai's required to be shareholders.

ONLY thing different between a US company an Thai, is the us company can not own land

There are plenty of facebook pages on living in Cambodia an such, https://www.facebook.com/groups/siemreap/ ,

https://www.facebook.com/groups/expatscambo/

You can easily find a 2 bedroom house in SR for between $250-600, in pp very difficult as not as many homes but more apts ( Chinese style shop houses)

Shv $200-400 but the quality is far below what you get in Thailand

Edited by phuketrichard
  • Like 1

Move to Cambodia at least you will have a chance at success, Thailand is far to complicated and restrictive to make money.

lived in Thailand for long time , so moved to Cambodia in 2008 an stayed 10 months an moved back to LOS.

thought about it again in 2012 and drove all over ( have made numerous trips in between) sr, pp, battambang, Kep, Kampot, Shv

After 3 months back to Phuket.

for me, i have gone thru the find out where everything is stage here and am happy with what have here, my friends and life style ( i love the beach here)

Have land in Kep & Svay Rieng (with my gf) but that's only when los really wears me down.

Don't let $$ enter into where you live. what is important is where your the most happy

AS to a business in Thailand , you can open an American company ( if your American or have a friend that is) No Thai's required to be shareholders.

ONLY thing different between a US company an Thai, is the us company can not own land

There are plenty of facebook pages on living in Cambodia an such, https://www.facebook.com/groups/siemreap/ ,

https://www.facebook.com/groups/expatscambo/

You can easily find a 2 bedroom house in SR for between $250-600, in pp very difficult as not as many homes but more apts ( Chinese style shop houses)

Shv $200-400 but the quality is far below what you get in Thailand

My decision to move to Cambodia was borne out of a long pent up frustration. Not entirely for fiscal reasons.

When I transplanted here after

retiring (2nd move) I had based it upon my fiscal calculations and goals in life.

Truthfully, I love it. Started with a mistake of signing a 2 year lease for a house in Bangkok. It expensive but affordable for then as a novice I made the cardinal mistake of always comparing the cost in relations to the SGD, USD and Euro. Thus everything appears cheap, and I only have 1 dog then.

1 year down the road my brood has grown to 3 and to facilitate this I moved to Isaan. Not that it was cheap but along with the house I rented are bounties of free land for my brood. It serves me well albeit a loss for keeping the Bangkok house due to the agreed lease.

But I rather appease myself than worry of fiscal loss.

The people are nice, respectful and welcoming. And I'm affectionately known as the 'Piu Dam Farang'.

Then the state of their hardships unfolds before my eyes. Still with visa issues that's a tedious chore, I just do not want to offer any opinions or help.

But an idea had formed. When I eventually got my (WP) visa, I put my idea to paper and set about starting a Social Enterprise to render the assistance within my means and expertise

But the idiocy of laws and bi-laws just took its toll and all the pent up frustrations I have overwhelms.

I have the luxury of time and age on my side, so rather than stay and be unhappy why shouldn't I leave and explore other options.

Cambodia is an immediate option. Fiscally, its within means and visa is not a full time chore.

I handle better with corruption or Junta rules with my eyes wide opened, than one with sleekly veiled motivations.

So Cambodia it is. Thank you for all rendered advises and tips.

I am truly indebted so Khmer would be the 3rd language I'll pick up after retiring.... Hahaha.

I already saw the bright side! Thanks guys.

Edited by Bangkok45
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bangkok45 did you find a mover for your stuff? I still not decided yet but leaning more and more to move soon.

It's my biggest headache now...the movers :( Even my dogs issues are already arranged.

But the one that can do it wanted 100k baht! Its too much but when the time comes I am left with no choice.

wow thats a lot I guess you have a full house and need a big truck? I looking to find a pick up or maybe sell all I can and

buy new stuff.Well good luck and maybe see you there.I will move to Sihanoukville, lived there before and its not bad.

Good luck.

• Like 1

wow thats a lot I guess you have a full house and need a big truck? I looking to find a pick up or maybe sell all I can and

buy new stuff.Well good luck and maybe see you there.I will move to Sihanoukville, lived there before and its not bad.

Good luck.

Wait out! Why don't we share a truck if its possible. Of course, I'll cover the majority cost.

I have 4 bedroom sets and lots of electronics stuff that you would not believe. I have all Mac computer collections... Don't judge :) I'm not a geek but a collector.

PM me I was planning on Siem Reap but my options are still open. Maybe you can guide me :) I need a house for my pack of fur babies.

Good luck.

Wait out! Why don't we share a truck if its possible. Of course, I'll cover the majority cost.

I have 4 bedroom sets and lots of electronics stuff that you would not believe. I have all Mac computer collections... Don't judge smile.png I'm not a geek but a collector.

PM me I was planning on Siem Reap but my options are still open. Maybe you can guide me smile.png I need a house for my pack of fur babies.

Whoa! I wish you'd mentioned this first. You need to examine the tax laws for Cambodia carefully. You may find that there's a hefty import tax bill if you're bringing that much stuff across the border. By the way, I'm not judging I'm a big fan of collecting electronics. :-)

• 3 weeks later...

With you on the frustrations of living here , just feel like everything is stacked against you here I need to start up small business somewhere but crazy to try in Thailand. just managed to sell my last but no intention to put any more money into this place. I will start a new tread soon I get round to it to try get answers to this question:

Does Cambodia offer better conditions for small business startups? compared to Vietnam Loas or as someone mentioned Indonesia if any one can answer me that would be great

really need low cost of living till I can get my self on my feet . work opportunities and/ or favourable business conditions

With you on the frustrations of living here , just feel like everything is stacked against you here I need to start up small business somewhere but crazy to try in Thailand. just managed to sell my last but no intention to put any more money into this place. I will start a new tread soon I get round to it to try get answers to this question:

Does Cambodia offer better conditions for small business startups? compared to Vietnam Loas or as someone mentioned Indonesia if any one can answer me that would be great

really need low cost of living till I can get my self on my feet . work opportunities and/ or favourable business conditions

Well, I can offer you advice for Vietnam as I have a business in Hanoi but in terms of living there...just not my kind of place :( same goes for Indonesia.

Getting a business of the ground in Vietnam was a pain if you choose to be in the hospitality business like me. As the property lease laws are crazy.

Other types of businesses are a breeze to start.

Visa no issues at all.

PM me and I'll give you details. I'm in Cambodia now and still looking for a house that can accommodate my fur babies. :)

Good luck.

I have 4 bedroom sets and lots of electronics stuff that you would not believe. I have all Mac computer collections... Don't judge smile.png I'm not a geek but a collector.

PM me I was planning on Siem Reap but my options are still open. Maybe you can guide me smile.png I need a house for my pack of fur babies.

Whoa! I wish you'd mentioned this first. You need to examine the tax laws for Cambodia carefully. You may find that there's a hefty import tax bill if you're bringing that much stuff across the border. By the way, I'm not judging I'm a big fan of collecting electronics. :-)

True but if importing them via a land border (as opposed to by air or sea) either no attention will be paid at all, or the customs inspector will ask for a bribe and you'll be let through. At busy land borders like Poipet no one will likely even see what's going on (you just put your stuff on a Cambodian guy's cart who carts it to the other side of the border better yet split up your load into a number of carts). I doubt there is any official procedure for bringing in things overland. Even if there is, it's not being followed. Case in point is bringing over a Thai car or motorcycle into Cambodia for temporary usage. Some borders will allow it (but without paperwork or insurance) others don't. It's a complete mess and hopefully they'll streamline the process in time for AEC 2015, but there's no guarantees. All of this despite Cambodia having signed the 2003 Cross border agreement on vehicular traffic. At the moment at least, it seems to be applied only for buses and trucks, not ordinary private vehicles.

Edit: another option of course would be to catch a direct Bangkok-Siem Reap or Bangkok-Phnom Penh bus operated by Transport Co./Nattakan. No checks would be made on goods stored on the bus crossing the border. In the other direction it would be a different story though.

Edited by Tomtomtom69
  • Like 1

Cambodia offers the best conditions for small business start ups possible. 1. It's legal to run a sole trading entity as a foreigner without registration.

2. It costs less than $2k to open a limited company (though travel companies need to pony up an extra $5k) and 100% foreign ownership is legal (taxes are a bit on the harsh side but... you are in the 3rd world)

3. You are not required to employ a single local if you don't want to (most businesses do - it's incredibly cost-efficient to do so but you're not forced to).

4. There are very few sectors of the local economy that are "protected" and none of them are likely to impact on a small business here

5. Visas are cheaper and easier to obtain that anywhere else in Asia

6. So are work permits if you decide you need them

7. An investment of $25k in the Cambodian economy also enables you to apply for permanent residency status

TheSiemreaper that last point, number 7 about permanent residency status do you have any links or is all under the table? I know you can even get a passport if you pay enough to the right person but this sounds like a good one. I also have looked for long time to maybe set up office but I give up in Thailand on that as said before by others, its amazing stupid rules and BS. In Sihanoukville I also believe there is a tax free zone as they are serious about bring in company to set up business there. And dont forget you can lease/buy land on 99 year contract.

And one more amazing thing about business in Cambodia, you can hire as many foreigner as you like and the wp cost is 100us per year per person.

Edited by INV