Denied Tourist Visa at Thai embassy in Singapore. Need help!

Today I was denied a Tourist visa at the Thai embassy in Singapore because they said I am not allowed to stay in Thailand for more than 90 days within a 6 months period. During 2013 I have stayed in Thailand close to 5 months, basically I had two 30 days visa on arrival, went back home to Sweden for 2 months and then I got a Thai Tourist visa (stayed 90 days) which just expired.

This really sucks, because I have a Thai girlfriend and an apartment full of stuff in Bangkok. So I really need to go back to Thailand. Worth mentioning is that I do not work there so I cant get a working visa.

What can I do? Will other Thai embassies in other countries also deny me a Tourist visa? Is this common and is she speaking the truth?

Thanks in advance!

smile.gif

Today I was denied a Tourist visa at the Thai embassy in Singapore because they said I am not allowed to stay in Thailand for more than 90 days within a 6 months period.

That's an odd comment, if you're correctly reciting what the Embassy staff told you.

The 90 days per 6 months rule is an old one that used to be enforced not against tourist visas, but rather, visa exempt entries. But that rule was dropped some years back, and supposedly is no longer in force.

Unless it's being brought back as part of the recent crackdown on repeat visa exempt and tourist visa entries. I've seen no public comment from the MFA or Immigration talking about that rule lately. But also, they haven't exactly been clear about just what level of repeat visa exempt or tourist visa entries they're going to allow under this latest regime.

Singapore has always known to be strict. If you want to do a couple of back-to-back tourist visas (I wouldn't recommend doing too many though as you'll probably get scrutinized everywhere) then go to Vientiane or Savannakhet in Laos, where you'll also get double entries. I hear even Yangon (where I have applied for a non-B in the past) can also easily do double entries and Hanoi can too, at least with an onward ticket for each entry.

• Like 1

As he is apparently in Singapore would suggest either KL or Penang (road/train/plane) and apply there first. But get your GF to fax you a letter explaining your relationship and request that Consulate issue a visa (and perhaps her expectation of upcoming marriage) (copy of her ID card could also help). Consulate officers love to have such documentation on file for visa issue in case they are ever questioned on why they issued to a traveler.

• Like 1

Manila is the worst, needs bank details etc.etc. try KL< Malaysia, always helpful.

No it isn't, I got a double entry there no problem.

Of course, if you are a cheat and trying to cheat the system and for some cheating reason don't wish to show a bank statement, confirmed accommodation and tickets home (which every tourist should have), then you will have a problem.

For bona fide travellers Manila is a dream ! No queues and very easy.

• Like 1

Manila is the worst, needs bank details etc.etc. try KL< Malaysia, always helpful.

No it isn't, I got a double entry there no problem.

Of course, if you are a cheat and trying to cheat the system and for some cheating reason don't wish to show a bank statement, confirmed accommodation and tickets home (which every tourist should have), then you will have a problem.

For bona fide travellers Manila is a dream ! No queues and very easy.

Good news for me.

Perhaps a 90 day non O there in October...if I am unable to implement my first plan...

Stop running around to different countries Come back to Thailand get a 30 day stamp Enroll in a Thai visa course who offer ed visas then with that paper work go to any embassy with the paper work and you will get a one year with 90 day reporting

This will make you life easier

• Like 2

Singapore has a bad - maybe the worst - reputation in SEA re tourist visas.

Try one of the other suggestions in this thread. I expect you'll have success, especially if you come well prepared.

Hmm, Manila and Phnom Penh from from my experience. Never had issues in Singapore. The other two are a nightmare.

Hoo boy! Yeah. Singapore. Very rigid. Did that stocky little girl with the army helmet haircut nail you in the queue or did you make it to the window? I have never been turned down while in similar situations. In the past the have cut some slack with a bit of finger wagging and writing something like "last time" in pen on the stamp. I would go back and try again real polite. Repeat that you are not working and tell them your situation. Can they help you out just this one time? Like that.

If they do not succumb to your charm try KL if you can afford the flying around. They are more easy going and whatever the outcome it is a real nice town- and the curry alone is worth the visit.

• Like 2

Truly, in the eyes of the Thai embassy you are not really a tourist and should have applied for a Non-Immigrant visa. This is an example of what the Thai Authorities mean when they say visitors should apply for the correct visa type.

You could try Penang but be forewarned that they too could abopt the new tougher interpretations that are schedluled to commence next month.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Hoo boy! Yeah. Singapore. Very rigid. Did that stocky little girl with the army helmet haircut nail you in the queue or did you make it to the window? I have never been turned down while in similar situations. In the past the have cut some slack with a bit of finger wagging and writing something like "last time" in pen on the stamp. I would go back and try again real polite. Repeat that you are not working and tell them your situation. Can they help you out just this one time? Like that.

If they do not succumb to your charm try KL if you can afford the flying around. They are more easy going and whatever the outcome it is a real nice town- and the curry alone is worth the visit.

I agree.

Also this time ask if they know of an Agent in Singapore who can help you with the forms and get you application in for you. It is a polite way of giving money under the table if you use him.

I never did that for Thailand before but had to do that to get a work permit for Nigeria. People might rightfully say that by doing this you are fueling corruption, but it is you who has to get back to Bangkok in a hurray and not them.

Stop running around to different countries Come back to Thailand get a 30 day stamp Enroll in a Thai visa course who offer ed visas then with that paper work go to any embassy with the paper work and you will get a one year with 90 day reporting

how much does all this cost?

how many hours of classes a week? homework? tests?

can i listen to music or sleep thru class?

forget to attend or be sick for 3 months?

Try one of the other suggestions in this thread. I expect you'll have success, especially if you come well prepared.

Hmm, Manila and Phnom Penh from from my experience. Never had issues in Singapore. The other two are a nightmare.

Manila also has a bad rep, in many ways.

I don't recall anyone having a problem in Cambodia.

• Like 1

My experience in PP a few years ago was they muck people around and are unhelpful. I had all tge correct paperwork but it still took 4 days. Singapore done in 24 hours

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

how much does all this cost?

how many hours of classes a week? homework? tests?

can i listen to music or sleep thru class?

forget to attend or be sick for 3 months?

An enterprising lad I know got an Ed visa for learning Thai online, had his Thai girlfriend do his classes for him.

that will be the next big scam ed visas,,lol

i hope that the thai visa people dont read what gets writen on here,,lol

dont you think they will smell a rat when 90% of people start enroling on ed visas, no more tourists,

Singapore Embassy-Consular section is sickening, been there, have my experience, never again,

if I can avoid.

But, Phnom Penh, if you use a agent service, easy, from the counter of my small hotel, I always stay. thumbsup.gif

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/647029-tourist-visa-in-phnom-penh-easy-done/

My experience in PP a few years ago was they muck people around and are unhelpful. I had all tge correct paperwork but it still took 4 days. Singapore done in 24 hours

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Travel agent - Visa service, is the way to go in Phnom Penh.

50 Dollar, paid at the reception from hotel, say Flamingos Hotel and after 3 or 4? working days,

the agent brings Passport with the Visa.

I have not even to fill out the form.

If you are travelling alone,

4 days in Phnom Penh are for me, more satisfying, than 24 hours, is also one night, in Singapore.rolleyes.gif

For those who is planning to abuse ED visa.....

If you seriously want to abuse ED visa just for staying longer in Thailand you doing worst you can against fellow man who love to be part of Thailand.

I am studying Thai language , not for fun just for my retirement .

I do not want to be surrounded by western people only and spend my time in the same company not to mention to have just beer time.To many like that jumped from the window in the end being separated for long time from local society and not be able to even speak a little Thai.

Even for those who have relationship with local woman is highly advisable to learn this language.By this you can only achieve respect in local people even talking a little Thai.

We are all coming to hard time for visa in Thailand and ED visa will not be so easy to get for everyone . Those who are in charge to regulate new visa law ED visa will be next on the table.

They are not stupid at all and they know already who is real student or not.

At least I do not have to be so afraid of changes but I do not need extra problems.

I know some students who used ED for longer stay but they attending classes and in final they are happy to learn something.(it does not cost a fortune but if you can not afford then come back where you from)

I paid my multi entry ED plus classes(180 hours) and I have done everything required by Education department.

At this moment I am in Europe for one months because of my ill mother but coming back to continue my study even further.

When leaving Thailand passport officer looked in my passport and asked me to come on the side of his box office asking me what I am doing so long in Thailand(6 months)

His behavior in first moment was like he was waked up suddenly seeing another overstaying to deny another entry.......giggle.gif Simply he did not realize I have multi entry ED visa.

When I answered in Thai that I am a student of "passa Thai" his face changed to smile and put the stamp wishing me good time and asking when I return.........to Thailand...

Doing right I want to be treated nice in front of those officers.

Unfortunately , we are farangs ...did a lot of bad things in Thailand abusing this law and nowhere else in the western world we could do the same even in part of it .

That's why we are paying or will pay the price of western farangs or Asia farangs who contributed to all restrictions.

To be honest , I did one visa run because I needed one extra week (I shortened my visit in Philipines and my rent was still going)

Personally, I could not understand that this type of getting extra time for free and how long it will be accepted in Thailand..... (I knew it, one day it will be illegal)

At least if you want to get ED visa have some decency and do what Education Department expect from us. (4 hours a week minimum is not that much)

Otherwise last resort of staying longer will die and will hurt real students.

P.S

Sorry for my English style but it is my 4-th language I learned and being now over sixty is not that easy.

wai2.gif

Edited by gigman
  • Like 1