First images with my new camera.

shaggy1969

I'm just an amateur point-and-shoot shooter. I only look at pictures to see if they are clear and sharp. Yours definitely meet my spec. Congrat, Shaggy!

May I ask if the photos shown are in its original sizes as taken or been resized? Also, how much does a Sony n6000 roughly cost in Thailand?

• Like 1

Thank you guys for your positive feedback thumbsup.gif

This has opened up a whole new world for me,I was so amazed at what I saw through the viewfinder the first time I got into

focus that I forgot to press the shutter,talk about being a virgin teener and catching a glimpse of his first bare titties w00t.gif

Muchogra,the photos have been drastically resized,the original files were 6000x4000 pixels (posted photos 1024x682)

I bought my camera in Europe,I did have a look at Sony Thailand and they were selling them for 36,000 Baht and so I suppose that

would be a rough figure to go on.

• 2 weeks later...

Are those you birds?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I know it's made me want to get budgies for the kids! But I know who'll always end up cleaning out the aviary. sad.png

• 5 weeks later...

Nice. The flower shots are so clear and defined. Are those your birds?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thank you for your nice comment and my apologies for the late reply to your question.The birds are not mine,they are actually my

landladies.I do help take care of them though.

Well folks it's been just over a month since first purchasing my new camera and thought I would give you an update on how

it has gone so far.......to be honest,a nightmare !!!

I was so disappointed with the photos that I had taken whilst I was back home in Thailand that I almost formatted the portable external

hard drive that I had stored all my photos on.Thankfully I didn't erase them all and with some work in post editing there will definitely

be some images that can be salvaged.

My respect for you experienced guys was already high but I reckon has now tripled.This taking photos malarkey certainly isn't to be

taken for granted.Great photos don't just happen by themselves....boy did I get a reality slap facepalm.gif

Has my disappointment lessened my passion for photography? Hell no,if anything it has increased it.Did I have fun taking the images?

Hell yes,probably took that many images that the folks in my town think that I have become a cyborg or have had a view finder surgically

implanted on to my right eye.

In summary..... my enthusiasm for photography far outweighs my capabilities,lets hope that in the coming years I can balance that scale

out somewhat.

Shaggy

• Like 1

I think your probably being a little hard on yourself there shaggy, that photo of the guy on the bike is great in many ways IMO technically and visually.

What exactly were you unhappy about with your shots?

Thank you for your kind comment about the photo of the guy on the bike rhythmworx,it is really appreciated (I also really like that one also).

The reason for my unhappiness is that I lost so many potentially good shots due to my bad choice of focusing options and getting the DOF wrong.

Total noob mistakes like trying to use MF or DMF on moving subjects.I finally twigged later that I should of been using Continous AF with tracking (where possible)

in sport mode was the way to go.

Also maybe in many cases I should of been using the AF setting instead of trying to go manual because as I stated above I lost too many images by getting

the DOF wrong,am still not sure what happened really because in my view finder what I was focusing on seemed to be spot on.

In reality I should stop the whinging and be content with the images I have,seeing as though I only had a couple of days with the camera before I set off back to Thailand.

One thing you may not have done on some of the shots, this is just a suggestion, you may know it already is use the 1/ over the focal length rule for shutter speed.

If you have a 50mm on shoot at no less than 1/50 of a second to avoid blur due to hand movement, make that 1/80 on a cropped sensor. That was my mistake when I got a DSLR I kept thinking to myself these cameras are meant to focus well, why are my shots blurred.

Also with anything stationary continuous AF can often produce a blurred image if you move slightly as the camera keeps hunting for focus.

Just a few suggestions, I'm more than sure you will get the hang of it soon it's all good and will pay off in the end.

Edited by rhythmworx
  • Like 2

Sadly, the cat spoke first..................................................

Thanks for your input Kan Win and my apologies for saddening you with the cat photo.

Did you finger get stuck on the full stop button on your keyboard by any chance or did you just forget to add the coffee1.gif icon at the end?

Think it's time for a time out from me folks....catch ya all later.

Edited by shaggy1969
  • Like 1

Hi Folks,

Sorry, by me mentioning the Cat spoke first, as the Cat looks down and very sad to me, and it was the first photo that I looked at, hence, as said

Kan Win, on 19 Aug 2014 - 18:23, said:snapback.png

With the ...................................... that was meant by, that I have not looked at any of the other photos in the offering.

So if I offended you shaggy1969 by my post, then I am very sorry and sincerely apologies. wai.gif

Win sad.png

• Like 2

QuoteQuote

cdnvic

Posted 2010-11-25 09:38:08

Evaluation in this subforum should echo the overall spirit of the Photography forum, to develop and encourage photographers at every stage of learning their hobby#

Do:

Be honest# People post here because they want advice and proper critiquing helps them learn#

Offer suggestions based on your own experiences#

Post regardless of your equipment level# While expensive SLRs help, a simple point & shoot camera is fine to learn on#

Point out resources that will help the poster, such is relevant articles or topics in the forum#

Post an example that specifically demonstrates something that will help the poster#

Take criticism as advice# You don't always get the response you like, but it will often teach you something#

Don't:

Insult, or denigrate the poster# "That needs to be shot from a lower viewpoint to make it more dramatic" is fine, "That picture is boring" is not# Responses may be deleted if not constructive#

Get too hung up on the artistic side of things# Everyone has their own particular artistic sensibilities, so try to focus on the technical aspects#

Bring gear level too much into things# Some great shots are made with simple cameras, and a budding photographer with proper help and encouragement will go on to better #and more expensive# things#

Post a photo response of your own that does nothing to help the poster# If you want to show off your skills, do it in a separate topic#

Argue over reviews# Questioning or sensibly debating is fine but arguments won't be tolerated#

Lastly, thanks to all those who post with a genuine will to offer the gift of their experiences to emerging photographers# Your efforts here are much appreciated

Evaluate my new Camera photos should be added to a new forum/thread or should it be here?

As was mentioned many times, Please could your keep the photo/s posted to 1 or if you really have too max 3#

I thank you all folks, please read the rules in Evaluate my photo first before posting for us to Evaluate your photo

For myself, 1 photo at a time lets keep it simple shall we, The old one Kiss

Win

Edited by Kan Win

Hi Folks,

Sorry, by me mentioning the Cat spoke first, as the Cat looks down and very sad to me, and it was the first photo that I looked at, hence, as said

With the ...................................... that was meant by, that I have not looked at any of the other photos in the offering.

So if I offended you shaggy1969 by my post, then I am very sorry and sincerely apologies. wai.gif

Win sad.png

Sorry I bit too Mr. Win.

Edited by MJP
  • Like 1

Evaluate my new Camera photos should be added to a new forum/thread or should it be here?

As was mentioned many times, Please could your keep the photo/s posted to 1 or if you really have too max 3#

I thank you all folks, please read the rules in Evaluate my photo first before posting for us to Evaluate your photo

For myself, 1 photo at a time lets keep it simple shall we, The old one Kiss

Win

My apologies to the Mods

Consider my wrists well and truly slapped for posting the photos from my new camera in the Evaluate my photo thread.

In hindsight I should of posted them elsewhere because I was not actually putting the photos I posted up for evaluation;

I was just so happy to get my first real camera and wanted to show them to the people that have/are helping me with my first steps

into the wonderful world of photography.

• Like 1

Hi Folks,

Win sad.png

My apologies also to your good self Kan Win.

Maybe I should of asked you first what you meant by your comment before automatically jumping in with negative thoughts.

Or equally you could of elaborated on what you meant by your comment,it was a riddle that could of been taken in many ways.

Also now that I have got your attention.I would like to ask when or if you will start posting images on the photo forum again.

You and Your photos were an inspiration to me when I first started viewing this forum and they are to me greatly missed.

Regards

Shaggy

• Like 1

Thanks for your input Kan Win and my apologies for saddening you with the cat photo.

Did you finger get stuck on the full stop button on your keyboard by any chance or did you just forget to add the coffee1.gif icon at the end?

Think it's time for a time out from me folks....catch ya all later.

Shag, stay right there, don't go anywhere and keep at it.

There's nothing wrong with your tog work, you're just starting out is all. It's a wonderful journey of learning and discovery.

Cheers for the support mate.It's very much appreciated.

• Like 1

shaggy1969, on 21 Aug 2014 - 00:10, said:

Also now that I have got your attention.I would like to ask when or if you will start posting images on the photo forum again.

You and Your photos were an inspiration to me when I first started viewing this forum and they are to me greatly missed.

Regards

Shaggy

Well Shaggy,

Thanking you very much wai.gif

I have a small problem whistling.gif of $100 to be sent to my Pbase. Com account from where I post my photos on and then link them on to here.

I have the money in Thai Baht, but with no credit/debit card as I only use cash in Thailand where I live.

Lost contact with a friend back in the USA that did it for me years ago.

When I Kan resolve this small problem. then the Show Will Gone On. Until then it is on hold. facepalm.gif

Win sad.png

• Like 1