Open spaces in Phuket for Rider training?

trigger571

Hello, In my country I would do this in some disused car park, but here in Phuket I have not seen any. I want to practice emergency breaking, counter steering etc., but know of no open spaces to do this in relative safety. Does anyone have any idea if there are any in Phuket? Is so where? Taaaa.

Just drive over Patong mountain at peak hour. No better place in the world to practice emergency braking.

And if you get it wrong, like many of the bus drivers, there is the cement crash barrier at the bottom of the hill keep you in check.

Thanks Bulldozer, you are a very helpful TV member I see. I don't really need to drive to Patong hill to practice emergency breaking surrounded by grave danger. I suppose the keyword I used and which you missed is "practice in relative safety" - a standard practice in most countries, and if you are a rider who is even just a little bit serious, you should know that riding techniques should be practiced (in relative safety) all the time. Perhaps now, it might be time for you to go get another beer and enjoy your day. Don't drink and ride though.

People learn to drive and practise emergency stops on the road here

50% of drivers don't have drivers licenses or bother trying to get one

There is a large parking area at the rear of the main big C store but

its probably blocked of after hours

If you drive of the island there are some quiet roads that you could

practise emergency stops on when no traffic is around

On the RHS of the bang wad dam opposite side to the park area there

is a parking area you may be able to practise on

• Like 1

For a quiet area, I would suggest Saphan Hin in Phuket Town. Very early morning, it's popular with (bi)cyclists as there's a natural circuit, little to no motor traffic, and generally a pleasant place. Close to Phuket Immigration Office (if you know that), as well as the Vehicle/Driving Licence place.

• Like 1

There was an area near the road from Kathu to the Tesco Junction. Out of Kathu, after the long right turn, before the traffic lights on the right side. The are was used by driving schools to do some basic training before letting the newbies go out on the road. Please don't complain if it's not in use any more, I have been there a few years ago for the last time.

post-693-0-99611400-1404720236_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

For a quiet area, I would suggest Saphan Hin in Phuket Town. Very early morning, it's popular with (bi)cyclists as there's a natural circuit, little to no motor traffic, and generally a pleasant place. Close to Phuket Immigration Office (if you know that), as well as the Vehicle/Driving Licence place.

Please leave that space to the bicyclist in the morning. There are enough car drivers which seems to never have come further than to practicing all over the island from before if we not also shall have them out and around on relative peaceful places 0600 am.

Wasn't there just a topic about this?

There is often one of the local driving schools set up in the small parking lot between Nai Harn Temple and Nai Harn Lake. They put out cones and have people navigate slowly to medium speed around them. They have one area for cars and one for motorbikes. There is not enough room to get much speed on, but it looked like they were getting some good experience at vehicle control and maneuvering. There was a girl of about 12 ripping around the motorbike course. It's probably the driving school opposite Land and House on Chao Fa East.

Please leave that space to the bicyclist in the morning. There are enough car drivers which seems to never have come further than to practicing all over the island from before if we not also shall have them out and around on relative peaceful places 0600 am.

Typically the cyclists have left by around 8 a.m. (all going to work), and return between 4 and 5 p.m.