Thai Immigration Bureau to blacklist all overstayers of more than 90 days

Think I'll call one of the consulates in the UK tomorrow, just for further reassurance, as otherwise I will be a wreck for the next 5 weeks and I was already a little nervous as it was. I think one of my fears is that even though it shouldn't affect me there could be some confusion and misunderstanding when I go through passport control with this new law going through and with them seeing a 1 year overstay in my passport.

Now you mention it yourself, (I didn't want to), you are completely right. A new passport would be much better but that is I think out of the question? But then again, you have a valid brand new visa, but you could expect some scrutiny.

Good. Luck, and please let us know how you get along!

Sent from my iPad so Please excuse any typos

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Im not sure why someone would bother trying to overstay anyway. In ANY country in the world it's illegal and courting disaster. I actually hope that all these recent shakedowns will help rid the country of some of the scurvy bilge that is found clinging to the vestiges of their sorry lives in this beautiful land.

its illegal bla bla bla,,, perhaps if countries around the world stopped being so anal about foreign visitors of independent means , there might be less friction and a greater spread of culture, understanding of social and work ethics. Why should anyone be shackled to any one country just because they were born there...

stop bleating on about the law and stand up against it for the good of change.

So are you going to stand up against this law if you live here and over stay , or going to comply with it.

I have no right to stand up against any "law" passed in Thailand. I don't overstay - and don't intend to. I don't understand the purpose of your question.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Im not sure why someone would bother trying to overstay anyway. In ANY country in the world it's illegal and courting disaster. I actually hope that all these recent shakedowns will help rid the country of some of the scurvy bilge that is found clinging to the vestiges of their sorry lives in this beautiful land.

its illegal bla bla bla,,, perhaps if countries around the world stopped being so anal about foreign visitors of independent means , there might be less friction and a greater spread of culture, understanding of social and work ethics. Why should anyone be shackled to any one country just because they were born there...

stop bleating on about the law and stand up against it for the good of change.

I understand and respect your sentiment, although I have to say that it is idealistic. Rules are rules, and unfortunately Thailand is not, has never been, and may very well never be, a "hub" of progressive social, moral or cultural ethics. I'm not sure how a foreign resident or visitor of Thailand would successfully stand up against any of their laws, new or old, for the good of perceived progressive change.

Could you provide some examples?

Edited by eeworldwide

For the poster with no space in his passport for his Thai exit stamp....

(Sorry TV wouldn't allow me to use the quote function...)

If you have any old "used" stick-in Cambodian visas, just leave that page in the sun for a few hours... This will make the glue dry up and the sticker easily peels off (if it doesn't simply fall out) leaving a slightly dirty but empty page - problem solved....

Oke, but what are you telling Immigration when they see a part of the Cambodian Immigration stamp on the same page?

What you are telling him to do could cause him a lot of problems, and I wouldn't recommend doing it.

Ps: and isn't messing with your passport an offence?

If the sticker really comes off easily, it could still be a good way.

Just staple the sticker back onto the page where it belongs, but just staple the upper side so that the sticker can be flipped up to reveal the paper underneath. Explain to any officer that the sticker fell off and you stapled it back in place.

The space would still be available for the thai exit stamp and the passport wouldn't have been "messed with" too much.

Think I'll call one of the consulates in the UK tomorrow, just for further reassurance, as otherwise I will be a wreck for the next 5 weeks and I was already a little nervous as it was. I think one of my fears is that even though it shouldn't affect me there could be some confusion and misunderstanding when I go through passport control with this new law going through and with them seeing a 1 year overstay in my passport.

Now you mention it yourself, (I didn't want to), you are completely right. A new passport would be much better but that is I think out of the question? But then again, you have a valid brand new visa, but you could expect some scrutiny.

Thanks. Peoples' posts here, and common sense, should reassure me more than they are doing. I'm just very tired, as is my missus, as we've had difficult times and naturally we're scared. I want to enjoy the football tonight but I've been kinda shaking since I read about this on someone's FB post. I just can't believe the timing of it. If this law were coming into play any date after I wouldn't have worried like this at all. Well, that's a lie, because what I was told last year was that even then having a 1 year overstay might cause me some issues, depending on the person on passport control the day I go, but I was fairly confident then as I would've had to have been very unlucky. I'm still probably now worrying over nothing, but I sincerely hope they can put my mind at ease a bit more tomorrow when I call. I'm running out of strength and energy after a tough few years.

My passports full Toady, going to the UK isn't an option

you have a British passport and you say because it's "full" you cant return to the UK ?Duhhhhh? So you say Thai immigration wont find a space on a page to let you exit?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It is FULL.

There is no space. Duhhh!

Have you confirmed with immigration that you will not get a stamp on exit? My passport was also full on my last trip,but there was no mention of it either at exit or arrival.

• Like 1

Thanks. Peoples' posts here, and common sense, should reassure me more than they are doing. I'm just very tired, as is my missus, as we've had difficult times and naturally we're scared. I want to enjoy the football tonight but I've been kinda shaking since I read about this on someone's FB post. I just can't believe the timing of it. If this law were coming into play any date after I wouldn't have worried like this at all. Well, that's a lie, because what I was told last year was that even then having a 1 year overstay might cause me some issues, depending on the person on passport control the day I go, but I was fairly confident then as I would've had to have been very unlucky. I'm still probably now worrying over nothing, but I sincerely hope they can put my mind at ease a bit more tomorrow when I call. I'm running out of strength and energy after a tough few years.

As mentioned, you may get some extra scrutiny and some questions. I am assuming that your new 1-year Non-O visa (multi) is qualified by marriage? Or have you a WP application pending? You should have that supporting documentation with you to bolster any 'why you come back?' questions. And have a return ticket, just in case it goes all pear-shaped.

Question, as I have no clue as I am from one of the Schengen States.

In my country we can renew our passport up to 6-7 months (maybe even more) in advance, can you do this with UK passports?

I can go to the Swedish embassy and get a new passport whenever I like. 6 months or 2 years before the date, it doesn't matter. And I would be very surprised if any EU country wouldn't let you renew your passport 6 months or 1 year ahead of it expire. Most countries/airlines have the 6 month rule also

I wonder about those who let their children's visa lapse, since they had expected no fine for them on exit. Irresponsible on the parents part, no doubt. But wonder if minors under 15 will be blacklisted (effectively blacklisting the parents as well).

What if your children were born here and have never had a visa?

My kids were born here but are not Thai Citizens.

They have overstayed a bunch but there is no fine until your kids turn 12.

Are they to be black listed?

This is what I would like to know as well. If your kids get blacklisted, you are effectively blacklisted too. I guess some will say that scofflaw parents deserve it. Maybe they do. But it would be nice to know so they can take appropriate necessary action (or, if the kids won't get blacklisted, take no action) to stay on.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

In my country we can renew our passport up to 6-7 months (maybe even more) in advance, can you do this with UK passports?

I can go to the Swedish embassy and get a new passport whenever I like. 6 months or 2 years before the date, it doesn't matter. And I would be very surprised if any EU country wouldn't let you renew your passport 6 months or 1 year ahead of it expire. Most countries/airlines have the 6 month rule also

Your name, place of birth, date of birth, and maybe a photo with that thing on your nose still pops up on the computer even with your new passport even if your name is Joe Smith.

Well I have just been in contact with immigration to try to deal with the matter.....

They are well aware of the problem with British passport delays and are helping where they can. I have to go along before my current 90 days report expires and they are going to work their mojo and allow me to get the extension that I need on my current passport. Also, RE: the 1 year ban for overstaying more 90 days.... they are aware that it has caught some people unawares and are not necessarily applying the law literally for 3-6 months.

That was Pattaya Immigration. I have always found them to be helpful anyway. Other places may not be so accommodating.

Edited by Moonrakers

For the poster with no space in his passport for his Thai exit stamp....

(Sorry TV wouldn't allow me to use the quote function...)

If you have any old "used" stick-in Cambodian visas, just leave that page in the sun for a few hours... This will make the glue dry up and the sticker easily peels off (if it doesn't simply fall out) leaving a slightly dirty but empty page - problem solved....

No, problem created. It is a crime to tamper with your passport.

You have got to be kidding me. I have an overstay of 1 year and 1 day, that wasn't actually quite what it seems, but still that's what's in my passport. I have my 1 year 'O' visa and I'm flying back to Thailand after 18 months out of the country, finally going back again. When? Flying on August 12th, arriving 13th. sad.pngsad.pngsad.png

Am I ok because they're talking about action now after this date for ppl only now surrendering themselves for overstay? I did this already back at the time, of course, and am now just re-entering, so I overstayed before this came into being. I've long since paid and been sent back, spent over a year and a half outside Thailand and am now going back with visa in passport. Think I'll be alright?

If you got your visa alright then why would you subsequently be refused? If the consulate/embassy turned a blind eye to your overstay then they have already pre-approved your arrival back in Thailand. Future overstays may not be acceptable anymore though.

Your name, place of birth, date of birth, and maybe a photo with that thing on your nose still pops up on the computer even with your new passport even if your name is Joe Smith.

I hope so. When I get a new passport I have nothing to hide. So I don't understand your reply.

This was about getting a new passport early, before your passport is full of stamps/visas

I am not sure i 100% understand....

What do you guys mean when you say 'old overstay don't have to worry' ? Let's say someone got an overstay of less than a year and he goes to the airport right now, he can pay the fine and leave without being blacklisted?

When you say 'new' do you mean someone who overstay a visa that he made WHILE the new rules was applied?

Sorry for my grammar as english is not my first language i'm just a bit confused.

I hate to sound like the voice of reason but after reading this whole thread I think it is still a rumor. Correct?

Nope, I and I think many others too wish it is just a rumor, but it isn't.

Many foreigners around Thailand already had to sign documents in Immigration offices that made them aware that these rules are already in effect.

Link please. I still think it is a rumor.

Here you go:

Sakhon Nakhon Immigration Office: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/740965-first-reports-of-new-overstay-crackdown/?p=8072255

Phuket Town Immigration Office: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/740965-first-reports-of-new-overstay-crackdown/?p=8072408

I was in pattaya immigration this morning and they had the new rules taped to the desks for 90day reporting. It appeared some people were required to read and sign some documents. I was not asked to read or sign anything nor did they run my tm47 through the computer as in the past. The falang that helps there said africans are only allowed to stay 7 days and they are the biggest issue.

What do you guys mean when you say 'old overstay don't have to worry' ? Let's say someone got an overstay of less than a year and he goes to the airport right now, he can pay the fine and leave without being blacklisted?

When you say 'new' do you mean someone who overstay a visa that he made WHILE the new rules was applied?

Sorry for my grammar as english is not my first language i'm just a bit confused.

The term 'old overstay' is being used to describe people who have history of previous overstay in their passport. I would not expect these people to have any problems as they owned up and exited Thailand before the new penalties are introduced.

A new overstay will be anyone who is caught or owns up after the new penalties are in place.

The 'leaking' of this order is to give anyone who is currently on overstay time (and good reason) to sort themselves out - right now.

The term 'old overstay' is being used to describe people who have history of previous overstay in their passport. I would not expect these people to have any problems as they owned up and exited Thailand before the new penalties are introduced.

A new overstay will be anyone who is caught or owns up after the new penalties are in place.

The 'leaking' of this order is to give anyone who is currently on overstay time (and good reason) to sort themselves out - right now.

They didn't leak anything. Mukdahan published it on their facebook page.

https://www.facebook...100008198101012

They didn't leak anything. Mukdahan published it on their facebook page.

https://www.facebook...100008198101012

So is it official or no? Yesterday there was a post here on thaivisa from a Lieutenant that said it would most likely start to take place at the end of the month.

So if someone surrender himself now at the airport and pay the fine, would he be blacklisted for one year (If it was an overstay of less than a year) as stated on the paper? I'm a bit confused.

I was in pattaya immigration this morning and they had the new rules taped to the desks for 90day reporting. It appeared some people were required to read and sign some documents. I was not asked to read or sign anything nor did they run my tm47 through the computer as in the past. The falang that helps there said africans are only allowed to stay 7 days and they are the biggest issue.

Your last sentence is intriguing:

1. Falang working at immigration? Can one get a WP for this?

2. Africans are only allowed 7 days? Under which circumstances (Marriage/Retirement/Tourist)?

3. Africans are the biggest problem? On that day perhaps but I am sure they are outnumbered 1000 to 1 by Russians... The drug dealers etc don't visit immigration so who else would be causing issues?

Don't want to shoot the messenger, of course. You may guess I am African , and no trouble to anyone, I assure you wai.gif