Video: What can we do about Phukets killer beaches?

webfact

I strongly agree with RTB...

And I would hate to see swimming banned during the Monsoon season (since the tendency is to plant the red flags during May through September regardless of water conditions).

It is not the responsibility of Phuket, the guards (or anyone in fact) to protect reckless people from risking their lives.

By all means, post warnings in multiple languages on the beach and at the hotels.

But let people swim at their own risk, just as they drive at their own risk during a rainstorm, go rock climbing....

• Like 1

Teach people to swim, more funding for surf lifesaving clubs to buy better equipment and train more professional lifesavers and ban the sale and consumption of alcohol on beaches. Try removing all the deck chairs, umbrellas and hawkers from the beaches also which may just enable people in the water to be seen.

And I would hate to see swimming banned during the Monsoon season (since the tendency is to plant the red flags during May through September regardless of water conditions).

It is not the responsibility of Phuket, the guards (or anyone in fact) to protect reckless people from risking their lives.

By all means, post warnings in multiple languages on the beach and at the hotels.

But let people swim at their own risk, just as they drive at their own risk during a rainstorm, go rock climbing....

If its not the responsibility of life guards to protect stupid swimmers, then what is the point in bothering to have them there blink.png

If its not the responsibility of life guards to protect stupid swimmers, then what is the point in bothering to have them there blink.png

Life guards are there for public safety under 'reasonable conditions' not even the best life guards or swimmers, would want to rescue a drowning person off some of Thailands Western beaches.

If a person is stupid enough to go for a swim in rough seas, then having a life guard on the beach probably gives them the false impression that if i get into trouble.....Mr Baywatch is going to come and save my sorry ass; or at least try to.

I must admit its a dilemma, but the life guard should not be put at additional risk in bad weather.

• Like 1

The minimum what could be done, is to place a life jacket and a life buoy attached to long ropes on a pole on critical beaches. It has been approved useful at the "Playa Ingles" on the island of Gomera, though they used a life buoy only, which could be thrown towards the swimmer in trouble. I hate those "washing machines".

• Like 1

oldsailer:

Yes, I would dispense with the guards.

Are there guards on the curving, hilly, coastal roads of Phuket during rainstorms to stop motorcyclists without helmets to ride at high speed?

It is about common sense.

Why would you go into the roiling ocean without understanding the conditions first?

Why do you need life guards to explain what a printed warning means?

Need I go on?

As a professed "oldsailor" you should understand at least that.

The minimum what could be done, is to place a life jacket and a life buoy attached to long ropes on a pole on critical beaches. It has been approved useful at the "Playa Ingles" on the island of Gomera, though they used a life buoy only, which could be thrown towards the swimmer in trouble. I hate those "washing machines".

And who would guard the life jacket to prevent it from being stolen in the first hour of installation. I know - a sad refection of life in a third world country.

• Like 2

And who would guard the life jacket to prevent it from being stolen in the first hour of installation. I know - a sad refection of life in a third world country.

That is true. The safety equipment on the island of Gomera was also seen as a souvenir. An average of four persons die off the Playa Ingles every year.

Unfortunately most people overestimate there swimming ability. Red flags are not the answer. They are put out

mid April and remain in place until December. Increased life guard vigilance in a defined Beach length during

the monsoon season may help as well as better multi language signage on what to do if caught in a riptide

posted at all beaches and beach front hotels would be a start.

It's idiots that are going into the sea which is the problem. I think they should certainly have full time lifeguards on many beaches, not just on Phuket. Flags do work, if people are willing to follow them. However, it does appear that many of the drownings are Russian, Thai and Chinese. This is about education around the dangers if the sea.

• Like 1

There has been much discussion about the life guards.

What about the hotels? Does anyone think the hotels contribute to the problem of drownings by downplaying the risks?

Do beach side hotels take a pro-active role in discouraging tourists from the beaches during dangerous conditions?

Do they have a responsibility to do so? After all, they advertise the beaches to attract possible guests.

Cheers

Unfortunately most people overestimate there swimming ability. Red flags are not the answer. They are put out

mid April and remain in place until December. Increased life guard vigilance in a defined Beach length during

the monsoon season may help as well as better multi language signage on what to do if caught in a riptide

posted at all beaches and beach front hotels would be a start.

I thought they had trouble paying the lifeguards they already do have.

How can they finance more? The hotels don't want to pony up.

What a load of rubbish is posted here sometimes. Go look at the systems in place in Australia - very simple.

Loads of beachside towns, cities and resorts and there are lifeguards at the popular beaches and multilingual signs elsewhere - and yes - hotels do take an active part in letting guests know - it is a human responsibility.

There will always be stupid people who will not listen, but for the vast majority, giving clear information and selecting the safe areas of the beaches for people to swim - by moving the flags to the sections of the beach that are safer than other sections - and this does change day by day - this is what is done in Australia.

Make sure there is lifesaving equipment available at every public beach, and follow up with regular patrols supported by two way radio communication and a network of PA systems and warning systems to let people know about beach conditions.

Put a special lifesaving fee in place that must be paid by every hotel fronting the beaches - a very small individual fee that could be added to the room rates without making a serious price difference for the tourists, but would go to pay for the lifeguards and safety systems and equipment.

There are lots of safe beachside resorts in Australia and other well known swimming holiday destinations - go to look - invest in safety.

Drowning is for the bigger part a lack of knowledge about what is going on and therefore people fight the waves and the current and drain themselves of energy, which is needed to get back to the beach.

So many sites explain the how's and what's and why`s about riptides, which is the biggest killer.

Do some googling, watch some Tube videos about riptides and spread the word.

TAT promote this place nowadays as a 12 months beach holiday destination, its not due to the weather end April to end October and the local Government know that very well. If they want to make money on todays new demographic tourist where many are unfamiliar with the ocean they (Government) should implement necessary safety procedures or close the beaches.

What a load of rubbish is posted here sometimes. Go look at the systems in place in Australia - very simple.

Loads of beachside towns, cities and resorts and there are lifeguards at the popular beaches and multilingual signs elsewhere - and yes - hotels do take an active part in letting guests know - it is a human responsibility.

There will always be stupid people who will not listen, but for the vast majority, giving clear information and selecting the safe areas of the beaches for people to swim - by moving the flags to the sections of the beach that are safer than other sections - and this does change day by day - this is what is done in Australia.

Make sure there is lifesaving equipment available at every public beach, and follow up with regular patrols supported by two way radio communication and a network of PA systems and warning systems to let people know about beach conditions.

Put a special lifesaving fee in place that must be paid by every hotel fronting the beaches - a very small individual fee that could be added to the room rates without making a serious price difference for the tourists, but would go to pay for the lifeguards and safety systems and equipment.

There are lots of safe beachside resorts in Australia and other well known swimming holiday destinations - go to look - invest in safety.

The problem is Thailand/Phuket is not Australia, caused the life guards in Australia are well trained, it is not good enough to give somebody who is supposed to be a good swimmer, a baywatch T-Shirt and that's it.

I have been swimming in Phuket over the years in every wave conditions.

I give in general a damn about the red flag, caused hoisting the red flag from Mai to November 24/7 is just ridiculous and this is the problem why a lot of people not take this rule serious.

Before I go into the beach, I check the daily tide table and never go in the monsun time swimming, while the low tide set in or still continue and in top I checking the wave conditions.

This is what a good baywatch should do hoist the flags after checking the wave and tide conditions.

If the baywatch do their work properly and somebody go into the water while the red flag is hoisted, then punish them.

In the case the red flag is hoisted and somebody must be rescued, punishment + rescue costs.

I'm sure then would be somethings change.

Edited by LivinginKata
refomat font

It's idiots that are going into the sea which is the problem. I think they should certainly have full time lifeguards on many beaches, not just on Phuket. Flags do work, if people are willing to follow them. However, it does appear that many of the drownings are Russian, Thai and Chinese. This is about education around the dangers if the sea.

There should be a duty to place an information in all the hotel rooms, which teach about the danger of the sea and the rules you have to follow in diff. languages.

Also about the punishment, when you don't follow these rules.

The simple answer is advise people not to swim there even if they have swan in the Olympics or used to be a navy seal.

Do they have life guards and are they awake during their working hours?

Do they also have boats?

If not refer to the 1st sentence.

Anyone who decides to ignore it, ignores it at their own peril and should be left in the water for the fish to feed on.