No more Kanchanaburi border runs

I knew it couldn't last.

When I was there a few months ago, there were van loads and car fulls arriving one after the other. All 100% out/ins.

Two Swedes told me they left from Hua Hin at 4:30am in a visa company van.

Now what?

'nuff said

Real shame they have closed this crossing for border hops as I live in Kan and it was very convenient. Wifey is pleased however as she really likes the markets we pass going to the Mae Sot alternative. Hopefully they won't start requesting a valid Burmese visa for there too.

I live in HH and have been to this border crossing. It was much better going here than to Ranong. It's a shame they've closed it.

I wonder if they will introduce the same system as at Ranong where you pay 10 or 12 USD (if i remember correctly) and they give you a temporary stamp which allows you to enter Myanmar for the purpose of stamping in and out on your Thailand extension or visa.

**Edit to say that they haven't actually closed it, but we now need a Myanmar visa to go across, right?

Edited by pinkpanther99
  • Like 1

Two off topic posts removed. This is about the need to get a visa for Myanmar in order to use this border crossing.

This is apparently because Myanmar has stopped doing border passes there. It has nothing to do do with Thai immigration.

• Like 2

I am confused. Who's idea was it? Thailand or Myanmar?

If you want to obtain a Tourist Visa from the Myanmar Embassy in Bangkok you need a valid air ticket. So it makes no sense if you have to fly anyway.

not sure about the embassy but

i am going to Burma next week, as i live in Phuket and have no desire to spend a night in bangkok i used myanmarvisa dot com,

they did not ask for a ticket

If you want to obtain a Tourist Visa from the Myanmar Embassy in Bangkok you need a valid air ticket. So it makes no sense if you have to fly anyway.

No you dont. And you also don't have to leave at the same port as you enter either (another common misconception).

Passport, couple of simple forms and 810Bt is all that is required.

How far into Myanmar can Thai nationals travel without a Burmese visa? Anyone know?

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

My question too!

Not far, maybe Dawei but I wouldn't risk it. Dawei hotels may be confused by Thai visitors arriving on just an ID card and there could be uncomfortable run-ins with the local police over there - it's easy enough for Thais to obtain a Myanmar visa for just 810 Baht like the rest of us and then they can also travel to other parts of the country. Once VOA is in place (apparently Thais should become eligible soon but the agreement hasn't been signed) then I would tell them not to worry but until then a Thai passport (costs only 1000 Baht) and a Myanmar visa is by far the best course of action.

Besides, there's nothing of interest until you get to Dawei. The border town (Thee Khee) on the Myanmar side doesn't even offer any shopping or anything to do apart from arranging onward transportation or travelling into Thailand. It's merely a place with 4-5 shacks, and onward transport to the rest of the country via Dawei. Note also that Thai cars can't enter Myanmar there, they can go merely up to Myanmar immigration for the day but beyond that either permission is required (usually caravan tours enter this way) or travel must be conducted in a Myanmar registered vehicle.

Edited by Tomtomtom69

Rubbish. An air ticket has never been a requirement to obtain a Myanmar visa in Bangkok or anywhere else, even years ago when all land borders were closed. I have entered Myanmar 5 times last year, 3 times via the land borders and not once did I require an air ticket when I applied for my visas. BTW of those 5 visas, 2 were applied for in Bangkok, 1 in Canberra, 1 in Vientiane and 1 in Kunming.

I live in HH and have been to this border crossing. It was much better going here than to Ranong. It's a shame they've closed it.

I wonder if they will introduce the same system as at Ranong where you pay 10 or 12 USD (if i remember correctly) and they give you a temporary stamp which allows you to enter Myanmar for the purpose of stamping in and out on your Thailand extension or visa.

**Edit to say that they haven't actually closed it, but we now need a Myanmar visa to go across, right?

They haven't closed it - you merely need a Myanmar visa to use it so perhaps you might want to consider sending your passport to Bangkok for the visa and then traveling across, not too difficult I think. To answer your question compared to Ranong, well yes that's what the previous system was like until this week - for $20 you could travel to Dawei and back and stay 1 week.

I think Myanmar is right to provide one system for entering the country like nearly every other country - if you need a visa you should get it in advance unless available at the border (such as Cambodia and Laos). There shouldn't be a dual system where if you enter without a visa you are subject to all sorts of time and travel restrictions, guide requirements (at the Mae Sai crossing) etc. The Phu Nam Ron/Htee Khee border crossing has stopped the dual system now it seems, maybe the other 3 borders will be next and thus all of them will require a Myanmar visa in advance.

Are they doing this at the Mai Sai border too? I have a multiple entry non-o visa that forces me to leave the country every 90 days & re-enter...Just need to know if I have to fly out of Thailand this time or if I can just do the bus run to mai sai again....

Are they doing this at the Mai Sai border too? I have a multiple entry non-o visa that forces me to leave the country every 90 days & re-enter...Just need to know if I have to fly out of Thailand this time or if I can just do the bus run to mai sai again....

I don't know but I'm sure there will be a report here on TV if it does happen there too. If you need to do 90 day re-entries you can still use the Myanmar crossings but should obtain a MM visa in advance. Why not make a trip out of it, obtain a Myanmar visa in advance, spend a few days over there and see something different? That way you won't need to fly if you don't want to.

Real shame they have closed this crossing for border hops as I live in Kan and it was very convenient. Wifey is pleased however as she really likes the markets we pass going to the Mae Sot alternative. Hopefully they won't start requesting a valid Burmese visa for there too.

They will.. just a liitle more time - and all other land borders will, Laos, Myanmar, Cambodia

Now not only talk about changes, now they act. Will take only few time and the only way is fly out and request a VISA from Thai embassy in the Country you stay before return.

All the multiple Visa runners should read this carefully.. because they will not be able to enter the neighbor countries without a valid Visa for those countries. Means you have to spend the

20 Bucks for example to get Cambodia Visa or request from the embassies of Laos, Cambodia or Myanmar in Bangkok in advance before you make the Visa trip to the border.

This only counts for foreigners, Thai can still cross. Dont worry about the market visits of your wife - if she is a Thai citizen...

They will.. just a liitle more time - and all other land borders will, Laos, Myanmar, Cambodia

Now not only talk about changes, now they act. Will take only few time and the only way is fly out and request a VISA from Thai embassy in the Country you stay before return.

All the multiple Visa runners should read this carefully.. because they will not be able to enter the neighbor countries without a valid Visa for those countries. Means you have to spend the

20 Bucks for example to get Cambodia Visa or request from the embassies of Laos, Cambodia or Myanmar in Bangkok in advance before you make the Visa trip to the border.

This only counts for foreigners, Thai can still cross. Dont worry about the market visits of your wife - if she is a Thai citizen...

It's always been necessary to buy a Cambodian visa at the border or for Laos too so no idea what you are suggesting. Generally there is no need to obtain one in advance for those two countries and there are no plans to change this. Also, Lao and Cambodian visa policy has nothing to do with Thailand's. Both countries permit unlimited visa runs if returning to those countries. However, for Cambodia it's not necessary as 6 and 12 month extensions are multiple entry and readily available and neither requires any visa runs. Some countries don't need a Lao visa at all for short visits, not just ASEAN nationals but also Swiss, Russians, Luxembourg, Sth Korean and Japanese citizens.

Myanmar is an independent country and sets it's own visa policies. Thais also need Myanmar visas for further travel inside that country. So while it's a slight inconvenience having to apply for a Myanmar visa in advance it's not such a big deal if you really need or want to go there. perhaps soon they will introduce a proper VOA for everyone, as I have heard rumors about. However, as with everything in Myanmar, timing can't be confirmed, just that it will take some time.

• Like 1

They say you need a flight itinerary .

screenshot201a4tpj9b831.png

That looks like it could be from the Myanmar embassy in China since the price for the visa is in RMB.

They would have different rules there than if you applied here in Thailand.

not sure about the embassy but

i am going to Burma next week, as i live in Phuket and have no desire to spend a night in bangkok i used myanmarvisa dot com,

they did not ask for a ticket

$75 for the visa at the website mentioned. Considerably more than 810 Baht at the embassy

"Need a valid air ticket" Does this mean that one is not allowed to drive into Myanmar ?

"Need a valid air ticket" Does this mean that one is not allowed to drive into Myanmar ?

OK ! no problems, got the correct info now .

False. You can get a Myanmar visa without justifying of a plane ticket, and cross the border on land from Thailand to anywere (allowed) in Myanmar. Since last year. I did it.

Edited by Alainpm

False. You can get a Myanmar visa without justifying of a plane ticket, and cross the border on land from Thailand to anywere (allowed) in Myanmar. Since last year. I did it.

So have I. 3 times last year in fact. As I have already stated (Lammbock please go back to read my reply) no Myanmar consulate or embassy has ever asked for an air ticket, not even 10 years ago when the land borders were firmly shut!

• 3 weeks later...

this is not good news.

I have been to that crossing twice so far last year.. I was planning on using it again in late September but hmm now I have this question, which I hope someone can clear up.

the Kanchanaburi Thai border agents "used" to collect 700 baht on the Thai side and if you didn't pay they wouldn't let you through (which is illegal, I reckon but that's not the point.) -charging to leave the country? wth

then they would pocket 200 and go with you and pay the 500 the Myanmar Immigration wanted.. and last time I went, they put that price up to 900 baht, which was 400 for them and 500 for Myanmar. (BS)

now here is my question..

If someone was to pay that 830 baht for a Myanmar visa, would they still try to get money from you?

if they DON'T then it's not TOO bad, I can justify making a shopping/visa trip to Bangkok and visit my friend while I go get this Visa, it will only happen 2 times this year (not bad)

if they still charge, then it's BS and i'll find another way

and I do possess a triple entry tourist visa that I paid for in Canada, I wonder how this is affecting with this new Out-In regulations.. still not 100% on whats going on with that too. ;\