No more Kanchanaburi border runs

thanks ubonjoe, that is what i figured.. (good)

and to be honest, i'd rather give the money to the Myanmar Embassy instead of being scammed the 400 baht at the Thai border for "letting" me out and giving me a new TM paper.

it's a nice little motorbike drive for me from Cha-am, I only have to do it every three months.

I will make sure to reply here or in a new thread in September if I have issues and if they charge even with the visa.

• 3 weeks later...

Any recent updates about the new policies. Has anyone entered there with a Myanmar visa yet? If so what "extras" need to be paid to the border staff for transport, etc

Thanks

Lots of people have been across that border, most of them legitimate travelers with itineraries taking them all around the region or Asia - their chronicles are detailed on such websites as Lonely Planet's Thorntree forum. Apparently most Thai "expats" have an aversion towards travelling beyond a border checkpoint because their ultimate goal is to get a new entry on their tourist or non-imm multi visas within as little time as possible (usually minutes), with no interest in seeing the neighboring country.

But for the rest of us we pay 810 Baht for a 3 day turnaround Myanmar tourist visa in BKK (anyone with a pulse, a passport, a completely filled out form and a photograph can apply), 1035 for 2 day turnaround (apply today and get the visa tomorrow) or 1260 for same day turnaround. Agents nearby can help you for 2500-3000 and get you a 1-2 hour turnaround if you apply in the afternoon (when they don't normally accept applications) and you have to travel urgently.

There are no extra charges on the Thai or Myanmar side. Maybe you have to pay 100 Baht (negotiable) or so for a motorcycle between the Thai and Burmese checkpoints but that's about it.

this is not good news.

I have been to that crossing twice so far last year.. I was planning on using it again in late September but hmm now I have this question, which I hope someone can clear up.

the Kanchanaburi Thai border agents "used" to collect 700 baht on the Thai side and if you didn't pay they wouldn't let you through (which is illegal, I reckon but that's not the point.) -charging to leave the country? wth

then they would pocket 200 and go with you and pay the 500 the Myanmar Immigration wanted.. and last time I went, they put that price up to 900 baht, which was 400 for them and 500 for Myanmar. (BS)

now here is my question..

If someone was to pay that 830 baht for a Myanmar visa, would they still try to get money from you?

if they DON'T then it's not TOO bad, I can justify making a shopping/visa trip to Bangkok and visit my friend while I go get this Visa, it will only happen 2 times this year (not bad)

if they still charge, then it's BS and i'll find another way

and I do possess a triple entry tourist visa that I paid for in Canada, I wonder how this is affecting with this new Out-In regulations.. still not 100% on whats going on with that too. ;\

Travel to Dawei ,on a Myanmar tourist visa, see something different, spend a few nights (say 3) come back. Easy.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Update for this border crossing.

I went there on the 28th and had a visa that I got from the myanmar embassy in Bangkok.. Buddy at the border asked me if I came here before.. I said yes. He asked me how much it was before, answered it was supposed to be 500 but they were ripping off people asking for 700 then 800.

He ignored my ripoff comment and told me that it was now 900 baht..

I told him I already have a visa.. He changed the subject quickly and told me I couldn't drive there with my motorbike because I didn't have a permit to export/ import, which is correct.

Thing is, I drove to myanmar both times with one of the guys in on the scam riding pinion before.. I guess that now that they were not making money off foreigners they didn't care to offer that anymore.

So, I was told to wait for a motorbike taxi and they told me it was 100 baht. I said OK.

Myanmar side nothing special they looked at my passport and visa and gave me the needed stamps and I was off.

The motorbike taxi lady waited for me, took me back and when I handed her 100 baht she said "no! Two hundred! "

Maximum 5m drive each way and a five minute wait for 200 baht? That's how they make the money now.

Note. I had to go to Bangkok and get a 3day wait visa from the embassy for 830 baht, so two trips including mrt and whatnot.. Then 200 baht to the taxi lady.

I used to go there and pay 700, and drive my bike with me for free. This time it was 830 + 200 + Mrt and hassles.

I reckon if I trust what he was saying then it would be worth it to just pay them the 900.. However since this post I thought that was not possible to go without a visa.

T. I. T. much?

Edited by kekalot
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Visa Express from Sukumvit 71 are back doing this trip now.

2000b, but the manager said that they don't have the numbers so only do it once a week.

I like to do things by myself (driving to border crossings from my house) so am trying to find out if it is open again to individuals with Non-Imm visas that don't have Burmese Tourist Visas and aren't doing it through a Visa Run company.

The manager's number is 089 0245255 for people interested in info.

Edited by Jang Loi

• 3 weeks later...

I went back today with no visa, confirmed. they stamped me out.. no weird guy trying to get you to pay money first and then get stamped out

It was a little bit different that I am used to (went there 4 times already).. got some photocopies done for 10 baht and a few minutes later some chubby guy with a car showed up

he picked me up, some other expat and 2 asian ladies.. drove all of us to myanmar immigration. asked for 900 baht and about 5 minutes later everyone had their passports back.

I consider my time somewhat valuable.

getting a visa for me is this:

getting up super early

catching a minivan to BKK for 120 baht

taking MRT for 40 baht

waiting an hour or two in an office

paying either 1300 baht for same day service (wait around until afternoon) or 830 baht for 3 days service (return to BKK in 3 days)

taking the MRT back to victory monument 40 baht

taking the minivan back to Phetchaburi 120 baht

minimum 1250 baht on a 3 days service visa and add 200 baht for the "taxi" that you have to pay for at kanchanaburi immigration

maximum 1600 baht on one day service and add another 200 baht for the "taxi" too

or, go there and pay 900 baht "taxi" included.

luckily, it's my last time doing this until late next year ;)

• 1 month later...

Went to Phu Nam Ron for a border hop this morning and no Burmese visa required. Very quiet and cost 900 bht which included my own limo(vios) across the border paid to the agent in the office just after Thai exit Immigration.

Officials on both sides were very friendly.

• 2 weeks later...

I am confused. Who's idea was it? Thailand or Myanmar?

If you want to obtain a Tourist Visa from the Myanmar Embassy in Bangkok you need a valid air ticket. So it makes no sense if you have to fly anyway.

False. You can get a Myanmar visa without justifying of a plane ticket, and cross the border on land from Thailand to anywere (allowed) in Myanmar. Since last year. I did it.

So have I. 3 times last year in fact. As I have already stated (Lammbock please go back to read my reply) no Myanmar consulate or embassy has ever asked for an air ticket, not even 10 years ago when the land borders were firmly shut!

1. the only time i was asked for a ticket in BKK embassy was when i wanted same-day visas. this was no problem whatsoever. costed a little extra.

2. correction: 10 years ago one could enter through kawthoung if one showed up with proper visas in passport. it needed a bit of stubborn dedication though. only very little people actually did it as LP said it was impossible (long live LP for that matter) and because once in one was not allowed to travel further overland (plane or boat only, relatively expensive for the common backpacker). in fact, as mod SVB can probably confirm, the kawthoung border was much more easy to enter 10 years ago than it was let's say 4 years ago when tourism started to boost dramatically and MTT's "boss" in kawthoung was too occupied counting his money and living the life ;-)

• 4 months later...

I did a border run to activate the last entry on a tourist visa in Feb, 910 baht paid after leaving Thai immigration to an agent inc car ride.

Not heard of any closure since than, this is an oldish thread started last year.

so till no border runs through this crossing?

Topic is out of date.

If my memory is correct it reopened in November or so.

It is now 900 baht for transport across no mans land and the border pass. Plus 10 baht for a color copy of your passport photo page.

• Like 1

Hi ubonjoe,

Time to close this old one down, this thread that is, as there are more resent threads on this forum about

Kanchanaburi border runs.

Win wai.gif

Edited by Kan Win

It will be closed shortly was waiting for a reply from the member that found this old topic and did a post that I replied to.

mfr_closed1.gif.pagespeed.ce.UuJWYpOV2uU

Edited by ubonjoe
put up the closed sign