'Influential ex-cop' accused of intimidation over land in Phuket hills

webfact

But, said Mr Somboon, a former senior police officer of Phuket had his eye on the 423 rai of land occupied by the 20 people and had tried to buy it from them.

So glad they mentioned this rat by name. Lovely to see insects outed like this. Hope he suffers severe consequences over this outrageous behavior. Intimidation, threats of assault. These are serious charges. Maybe life in prison might be a good place to start?

You just have to assume that every cop and politician is bent. Many times they buy their position. The very people who are charged with stopping the encroachment and the illegal activities are the ones getting rich off it.

Yes, Buddha bless the Generals.

• Like 1

Before the coup, none of this would be investigated. The poor people would just have to take it and smile. I'm glad now that the army have taken over, the governor suddenly grew some stones and is investigating this.

I hope this is investigated properly, but what the Governor says, and what actually happens, may be two different things.

Why hasn't the "influential ex-cop" been arrested? He's already been identified, and clearly has a motive.

The only reason for not implicating the "influential ex-cop" is because he must be kept "alive" for future use. Once the tide is over, the honeyed money flows again.

But, said Mr Somboon, a former senior police officer of Phuket had his eye on the 423 rai of land occupied by the 20 people and had tried to buy it from them.

So glad they mentioned this rat by name. Lovely to see insects outed like this. Hope he suffers severe consequences over this outrageous behavior. Intimidation, threats of assault. These are serious charges. Maybe life in prison might be a good place to start?

Did they mention him by name?

Location between Kata-Karon and Chalong, so why does it go to Kathu district office?

Edited by stevenl

Before the coup, none of this would be investigated. The poor people would just have to take it and smile. I'm glad now that the army have taken over, the governor suddenly grew some stones and is investigating this.

I hope this is investigated properly, but what the Governor says, and what actually happens, may be two different things.

Why hasn't the "influential ex-cop" been arrested? He's already been identified, and clearly has a motive.

The only reason for not implicating the "influential ex-cop" is because he must be kept "alive" for future use. Once the tide is over, the honeyed money flows again.

I doubt it, it looks like the military are eying a new setup of the police force in order to weed out the corruption.

Location between Kata-Karon and Chalong, so why does it go to Kathu district office?

Well yes, they do at least mention Mr. Somboon. So, at least there is some exposure, potential embarrassment, perhaps eviction from a country club or two, etc. Maybe even the army will go after this hooligan? One can only hope.

Well yes, they do at least mention Mr. Somboon. So, at least there is some exposure, potential embarrassment, perhaps eviction from a country club or two, etc. Maybe even the army will go after this hooligan? One can only hope.

Mr. Somboon is one of the people apparently being harassed by this ex cop.

• Like 2

From the OP

Somboon Jeamsakul, 63, said that he and the others had SorPorKor farming rights on the land.

SorPorKor papers allow people to occupy the specified piece of land for farming only. The land may not be sold or rented out, and the rights may be assigned only to the holder’s heirs.

Mr Somboon in NOT the ex policeman whose name had not been mentioned.

From the OP

Somboon Jeamsakul, 63, said that he and the others had SorPorKor farming rights on the land.

SorPorKor papers allow people to occupy the specified piece of land for farming only. The land may not be sold or rented out, and the rights may be assigned only to the holder’s heirs.

Mr Somboon in NOT the ex policeman whose name had not been mentioned.

Thanks for the clarification. Those nasty defamation laws continue to wreak havoc on this land, and make calling out the parasites quite difficult. Everyone cowers from the laws, written to protect cowards, and the corrupt, by the corrupt and cowardly Thai lawmakers, and enforced by a both a corrupt and cowardly judiciary and prosecutors office. What a shame.

It is time for other countries, especially my own home country, the USA, to quit criticizing the coup, and realize that while not the best response, it has allowed the rule of law to begin a recovery in Thailand. Corruption and intimidation have been the norm under "democracy", and while I am not sure that the improvements in law enforcement will be long lasting, it is refreshing to see crimes actually being investigated, instead of swept under the rug with the payment of a few baht.

Excellent post, but when is the General going to do something about the many unlicenced drivers and all the underage motorbike riders throughout Thailand. Surely all those road fatalities happening every day is worse than the corruption.

All you need is the police to go out there and get them, there's that many of them they could just pick them out at will.

The Governor is wearing red shorts in the photo. Is that a declaration of his political support?

No...

Unless he has changed sides and now wears his shirts around his ass!

That said the Governor is the one with the white and purple shirt not the white T-shirt. No idea who that kid is.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Edited by timewilltell

Well something wrong here. The OP says Somboon Jeamsakul had SorPorKor rights on the land along with 20 others. A few paragraphs later it says Somboon, a former senior police officer, had his eye on the 423 rai of land and employed Burmese to intimidate the others.

Presumably the others are the 20 he had rights along with ( so he could grab all the land to his selfish self) and that 'Somboon' the policeman is the same as Somboon Jeamsakul mentioned a few paragraphs earlier. In which case Somboon Jeamsakul IS the ex policeman.

I assume having grabbed the land he would then have bribed the land office to take the huge step beyond the normal blind eye and issue illegal title deeds for sale on to third parties in order to jake a huge killing. The wonderful Thai patronage system held on such high esteem which roughly translates to licence for corruption.

Please, please can we see corrupt people prosecuted and jailed now ANC put and end to these long tolerated criminal activities - double punishment for police and other public officials involved as the law already sort of provides.

Well something wrong here. The OP says Somboon Jeamsakul had SorPorKor rights on the land along with 20 others. A few paragraphs later it says Somboon, a former senior police officer, had his eye on the 423 rai of land and employed Burmese to intimidate the others.

Presumably the others are the 20 he had rights along with ( so he could grab all the land to his selfish self) and that 'Somboon' the policeman is the same as Somboon Jeamsakul mentioned a few paragraphs earlier. In which case Somboon Jeamsakul IS the ex policeman.

I assume having grabbed the land he would then have bribed the land office to take the huge step beyond the normal blind eye and issue illegal title deeds for sale on to third parties in order to jake a huge killing. The wonderful Thai patronage system held on such high esteem which roughly translates to licence for corruption.

Please, please can we see corrupt people prosecuted and jailed now ANC put and end to these long tolerated criminal activities - double punishment for police and other public officials involved as the law already sort of provides.

It says 'But, said Mr Somboon, a former senior police officer of Phuket had his eye on the 423 rai of land occupied by the 20 people and had tried to buy it from them.'

So Somboon is NOT the policeofficer. To make it clearer, the text shopuld be read as 'Mr. Somboon said that a former police officer had his eye ...'

Edited by stevenl

The story was badly written. I was one of, I'm sure, many who initially thought Somboon was the Policeman's name.

When I re-read the article I could see what the writer meant.

No point in belabouring semantics, be concerned at the arrogance and lawfulness of some a/holes before the army came along!

It is time for other countries, especially my own home country, the USA, to quit criticizing the coup, and realize that while not the best response, it has allowed the rule of law to begin a recovery in Thailand. Corruption and intimidation have been the norm under "democracy", and while I am not sure that the improvements in law enforcement will be long lasting, it is refreshing to see crimes actually being investigated, instead of swept under the rug with the payment of a few baht.

I agree. May I suggest an Email to your elected representatives voicing your thoughts?

Already done last week to my Congresswoman and both state Senators. I also sent snail mail, voicing the same opinion. Unfortunately, they are all Demorats, so I don't think it will do much good.
Glad to hear that. I did much the same, although I am more optimistic regardless of political leanings.

The Governor is wearing red shorts in the photo. Is that a declaration of his political support?

Any opportunity to bring "color" into an article, is never lost, by those with little stake in the matter.

It says 'But, said Mr Somboon, a former senior police officer of Phuket had his eye on the 423 rai of land occupied by the 20 people and had tried to buy it from them.'

So Somboon is NOT the policeofficer. To make it clearer, the text shopuld be read as 'Mr. Somboon said that a former police officer had his eye ...'

I am going senile, and I read that twice. That's my bad. You are, of course, quite right. My apologies.

• Like 1